HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is only a 2x and I think it's using an older controller from 2017 when I looked at this drive. There is a reddit thread somewhere started in 2017 or early 2018 where they discuss this drive, but the performance was o-k ... nothing special and it didn't generate a lot of interest. Considering how much faster the other drive is, the premium version and at the same price. .. you should stay the hell away from this one.

Out of stock at both Atlanta locations. Was gonna get one too.

Fuck it. Gonna order the Gigabyte 4 slot NVME raid card for my Thredripper and run 4 of 4 on the card and 2 on the mobo. Raid 0 all of them

3300 x 6 = fuck you insane speed.

2950x still have lanes left over lmao

I have 64 pcie highways
16 GPU
8x Intel 10g nic
4x6nvme = 24 reduced to 16 because of card.

That's only 40lanes...

Need more shit on my board.

Maybe a second GPU or two. Damn that's alot of lanes when you add it all up.

I jest. I just want one drive Haha

Last edited:
Picked up one of the 1 TB Inland Premium SSDs and tested it in a MyDigital M2X NVME enclosure, got great read / write speeds. 940 MB/sec R, 925 W over a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connection. Will likely test it in a laptop later.

NewEgg is offering the Phison E12-powered Patriot VPN100's for $110 for 512, $200 for 1 TB. They pre-install a big honking heat sink for your trouble though.

When I picked up the 1 TB from MicroCenter, there was a $134 sale sticker next to it, but the sales rep mumbled 'old promo' and hid it away before I could look at the details.. maybe it was planned? Either way, MicroCenter is listing the 1 TB for $134.99 official price now.

This product is probably under MicroCenter's radar, they're likely giving it a price break probably just to stir up interest in the product, like they would for a new USB 3.1 enclosure under their house brand.

The 512 GB model does look like a good alternative for other people who don't need the 1 TB.

Has anyone done any thermal studies on this SSD yet?

Last edited:
This is only a 2x and I think it's using an older controller from 2017 when I looked at this drive. There is a reddit thread somewhere started in 2017 or early 2018 where they discuss this drive, but the performance was o-k ... nothing special and it didn't generate a lot of interest. Considering how much faster the other drive is, the premium version and at the same price. .. you should stay the hell away from this one.

Yeah that's based on an older Phison E8 controller. It probably wouldn't be bad if you needed cheap SSD storage in a USB / Thunderbolt enclosure.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Out of stock at both Atlanta locations. Was gonna get one too.

Fuck it. Gonna order the Gigabyte 4 slot NVME raid card for my Thredripper and run 4 of 4 on the card and 2 on the mobo. Raid 0 all of them

3300 x 6 = fuck you insane speed.

2950x still have lanes left over lmao

I have 64 pcie highways
16 GPU
8x Intel 10g nic
4x6nvme = 24 reduced to 16 because of card.

That's only 40lanes...

Need more shit on my board.

Maybe a second GPU or two. Damn that's alot of lanes when you add it all up.

I jest. I just want one drive Haha

Hey man, link that PCI card would you. I was actually going to do this myself on a build until someone told me I wouldn't get the desired "hardware" raid speeds on my Asus x370 ... I had the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card and a few drives but abandoned that project before I got the card fully populated with the drives I wanted to and any real use.

I'm seriously considering 4 x of these Phison E12 512GB drives now @ $75 each ..... 2TB @ 12,000MB/s read and write? Are you fukking kidding me and for only $350? LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT. Man.

I don't think I have 16x PCI lanes to spare ... I might send you a PM man.

Also, the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card is 2+ years old now ......

Here is where I picked up my Asus Hyper M.2 a while back

http://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-hy...e-3.0-x4-expansion/asus_hyperm2x16cardv2.html

Last edited:
Well...I was just able to order one of the 1TB thru the web store. Came out to 152 shipped.

Well...I was just able to order one of the 1TB thru the web store. Came out to 152 shipped.

Hell you paid a lot less than I did. I paid $160+ in store with tax, actually once I get my $10 refund I will be closer to what you paid.

for $152 shipped, amazing deal. You will not be let down.

It's also possible to get your Micro Center orders from the web store shipped to the Micro Center local to you, though direct shipping is usually faster.

It'll be great when this product shows up on Amazon (hopefully a Prime product) because if you have Prime and its shipping options, it'll save you money from Micro Center's ripoff shipping charges.

Guys I just got on the site and ordered 2 for $276.96 with 2 day shipping. Better jump fast while they have stock.

I might seriously take a real hard look at the new Threadrippers later this year if they release new one. Especially if they are super close in speed to Intel. I'm willing to take a bit less performance as long a I'm not giving up double digit. I am starting to think 12 or 14 cores with one of these hardware raid setups would be hellishly OP for gaming and serious productivity.

Hey man, link that PCI card would you. I was actually going to do this myself on a build until someone told me I wouldn't get the desired "hardware" raid speeds on my Asus x370 ... I had the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card and a few drives but abandoned that project before I got the card fully populated with the drives I wanted to and any real use.

I'm seriously considering 4 x of these Phison E12 512GB drives now @ $75 each ..... 2TB @ 12,000MB/s read and write? Are you fukking kidding me and for only $350? LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT. Man.

I don't think I have 16x PCI lanes to spare ... I might send you a PM man.

Also, the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card is 2+ years old now ......

Here is where I picked up my Asus Hyper M.2 a while back

http://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-hy...e-3.0-x4-expansion/asus_hyperm2x16cardv2.html

https://www.gigabyte.com/Accessory/CMT4034-rev-10#ov

Wish I would of known web orders are available. Web page says in store only. :/ FAIL!

I just bought a 1tb 970 evo plus the other day from there locally.

Would I notice a difference other then $100 back?

Wish I would of known web orders are available. Web page says in store only. :/ FAIL!

I just bought a 1tb 970 evo plus the other day from there locally.

Would I notice a difference other then $100 back?

Write speed is 33% faster than the EVO and that $100 ... that would damn near buy you 16GB of DDR4 3200mhz memory

Write speed is 33% faster than the EVO and that $100 ... that would damn near buy you 16GB of DDR4 3200mhz memory

Wow that sucks. Cant check out as it says whose pick up store and cant do web site. :/

That's what I get for waiting 2 hours.

That's too bad, I bet once word got out about the web store carrying it, they got flooded with orders.

Now let's see who gets their order delivered first.. I did two-day since their next day fee seemed outrageous to me.

There is now inventory showing for the 512 GB part in a few MicroCenters across the country.. but the only MicroCenter that has any of the 1 TB in stock is in Columbus, Ohio (10+)

I was looking at the package insert that came with the 1 TB I managed to buy at my local Micro Center.. they only list a website, ipsgproducts.com, and their list of products doesn't include this SSD.. the website's security certificate is also expired. Probably hasn't been updated in years.

Does anyone know what memory type this has? Is it the newer Toshiba 3d 64l nand or older non 3d TLC?

Just went to the web store again and it's available to ship. Maybe force reload that page if it's still showing in-store only?

Also, now they're in stock at the following MicroCenters: Fairfax, VA; Columbus, OH; and Chicago, IL. in quantities of 10+ at each store at the time this post was posted.

If I went with the SP brand on amazon, it has a guaranteed warranty and only will cost me $15 more with faster shipping.

Decisions decisions

Yes, for the 1 TB version, $15 more- 512 GB version is the same price as MC, and if you have Amazon Prime already your shipping is very likely much faster.

Amazon reviews look generally positive, with maybe the few negative reviews coming from people with older PCIe onboard

The Silicon Power unit probably looks identical to the Inland Premium unit if you remove SP's big sticker.

MC says they're not even shipping my part for 2 days, I doubt they have the whole automated conveyor belt with hundreds of robots skittering around in a factory, just disgruntled workers in a dusty abandoned warehouse or something.

MC's warranty would be for them to take another SSD, same part, take it out of packaging, slap your defective in the package, give you the 'new' one, return the package to the vendor and get credit.

Last edited:
Yes, for the 1 TB version, $15 more- 512 GB version is the same price as MC, and if you have Amazon Prime already your shipping is very likely much faster.

Amazon reviews look generally positive, with maybe the few negative reviews coming from people with older PCIe onboard

The Silicon Power unit probably looks identical to the Inland Premium unit if you remove SP's big sticker.

MC says they're not even shipping my part for 2 days, I doubt they have the whole automated conveyor belt with hundreds of robots skittering around in a factory, just disgruntled workers in a dusty abandoned warehouse or something.

MC's warranty would be for them to take another SSD, same part, take it out of packaging, slap your defective in the package, give you the 'new' one, return the package to the vendor and get credit.
Yea I think I am going to give the SP on Amazon a chance. I do have prime, and it’s not a 2 hour drive to return it etc.

I’ll update this thread with benches when I receive it.

i ordered online yesterday morning for the 1 TB SSD for shipping and I just received my tracking number.

The 1 TB Inland Premium, according to FedEx, will get to me by Tuesday, 3/19. It took them 24 hours just to get the FedEx label printed?!

Yeah, at least with Amazon they get on the ball right away. With MicroCenter it's like one guy trying to co-ordinate the Invasion Of Normandy or something.

The 1 TB Inland Premium, according to FedEx, will get to me by Tuesday, 3/19. It took them 24 hours just to get the FedEx label printed?!

Yeah, at least with Amazon they get on the ball right away. With MicroCenter it's like one guy trying to co-ordinate the Invasion Of Normandy or something.
I love micro enter but this is so true

To save a $100 on the drive cost me the new build this weekend as now I'll need to wait till Monday/Tuesday as I've not decided to go all petg tubing with the dual water cooling setup.. haha about time as I've been using soft tube for prob 20 years.

Windows 10 should recognize the new drive durring install correct? Update those drivers or whatever after?

Should use it as the os drive? My asus z390 mb has 2 m.2 slots but afraid something will not work or conflict with a sound card and usb 4 port pci-e card in there as well.

Is that a thing of the past and one can use the 2 m.2 drives no problem? I have a samsung 512gb 950 m.2 drive I could use as well if possible.

To save a $100 on the drive cost me the new build this weekend as now I'll need to wait till Monday/Tuesday as I've not decided to go all petg tubing with the dual water cooling setup.. haha about time as I've been using soft tube for prob 20 years.

Windows 10 should recognize the new drive durring install correct? Update those drivers or whatever after?

Should use it as the os drive? My asus z390 mb has 2 m.2 slots but afraid something will not work or conflict with a sound card and usb 4 port pci-e card in there as well.

Is that a thing of the past and one can use the 2 m.2 drives no problem? I have a samsung 512gb 950 m.2 drive I could use as well if possible.
W10 will recognize it not problem. It shouldn’t be any different than any other nvme drive. As long as your board has a native nvme slot.

I doubt you would have any conflicts, I'd think the worst that could happen is you would not hit maximum speed due to how your mb divies up the pcie lanes. Your motherboards manual should explain limitations on its slots and ports etc
Worst comes to worst you can throw it together, install 10 and benchmark the drives with something like http://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

example of what you're looking for
2 x M.2 ports (Key M)
M2_1 slot (from AMD® processor) supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (Ryzen™ Desktop Processors ) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (A-series/ Athlon™ Processors) 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X470 Chipset) supports PCIe 2.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back