HOT ! Various 1TB NVMe with coveted E12 Controller $135 aprox retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 years is an incredibly long time to own an SSD.
Out of curiosity I decided to see how old my SSD is...
Samsung 840 Pro bought 6 years ago in one month!
Its still my Boot SSD and is fantastic.

When the OS was running sluggish with sometimes a seconds lag opening things last year, I decided to defrag it because it did after all look a mess.
Worked wonders, was like a fresh install of Windows.
Its seriously worth trying a defrag on an old installation.

And the Sabrent Rockets from the SlickDeals offers from Amazon, $125 for 1 TB shipped for basically the same Phison E12 powered SSD. Except with a big ol' sticker on it.

Edit: Just updated my Inland 1 TB from 12.1 to 12.2 with the updater, was easy as pie, was able to do it on a clunker Win7 machine in Safe Mode and through myDigital's M2X USB enclosure. Thanks to cybrnook and speedy523!

Wound up reformatting it just in case after the update

As soon as I can get some scratch together maybe I'll pick up a Sabrent 1TB..

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I decided to see how old my SSD is...
Samsung 840 Pro bought 6 years ago in one month!
Its still my Boot SSD and is fantastic.

When the OS was running sluggish with sometimes a seconds lag opening things last year, I decided to defrag it because it did after all look a mess.
Worked wonders, was like a fresh install of Windows.
Its seriously worth trying a defrag on an old installation.
That's odd, defragging an ssd is neither recommended nor should it do anything, sounds like placebo effect. Are you running with trim enabled?

That's odd, defragging an ssd is neither recommended nor should it do anything, sounds like placebo effect. Are you running with trim enabled?
Yes trim is working, no changes to the system other than the defrag, then it was "immediately" snappier by a huge margin.
I did it after reading other people had experienced similar.
If it wasnt for the sluggish behaviour I wouldnt have tried it, and unless your PC is sluggish it probably wont help.
1 Defrag in 6 years on a 60GB partition is almost nothing compared to the amount of writes it can handle.

Yes trim is working, no changes to the system other than the defrag, then it was "immediately" snappier by a huge margin.
I did it after reading other people had experienced similar.
If it wasnt for the sluggish behaviour I wouldnt have tried it, and unless your PC is sluggish it probably wont help.
1 Defrag in 6 years on a 60GB partition is almost nothing compared to the amount of writes it can handle.

Ahh my question was whether you understood the danger but.. you clearly do and it was a calculated effort. If it's running great then that's really cool. I'm confused though because I dont understand how data bits get fragmented on flash. Beause there are no magnetic displacements or parity errors or polarity doodads to have to deal with.

Ahh my question was whether you understood the danger but.. you clearly do and it was a calculated effort. If it's running great then that's really cool. I'm confused though because I dont understand how data bits get fragmented on flash. Beause there are no magnetic displacements or parity errors or polarity doodads to have to deal with.

I consider $135 throw away money. He will be ok if he fuks his shit up. There's a new ssd down the street from all of us.

Here are my new numbers for my recent 12.2 flash

They are basically the same as my last set of numbers but wanted to share anyways.

I will add that while I'm not sure what the before after temps were, I do notice that my numbers are a lot more consistent now.

Attachments

• ssdspeedbench.png
    ssdspeedbench.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
I also wanted to share this tool. I've been using this for awhile now and like it. You run it once and you're good to go.

Tweak SSD

It's supposed to add additional performance gains along with longevity / life span to your SSD.

Here are some screen shots. The suggested changes are what I actually captured. So all the green OK boxes are what the software suggested. There were actually several changes.

tweakssd1.jpg tweakssd2.jpg tweakssd3.jpg tweakssd4.jpg tweakssd5.jpg tweakssd6.jpg tweakssd7.jpg tweakssd8.jpg

Since all areas of a ssd have the same access time (think zero) even if a file was fragmented into a bazillion pieces, which they all are on an ssd, you'd never know it.
Not to mention windows defrag has bupkis to do on Windows 7 since the ssd controller controls file placement.

More likely the drive "refreshed" the data. You can do that manually with disk fresh and i think the samsung magician software used to be able to do it (or maybe it only did trash collection/trim)

And of course there was the 840 issue that samsung released more than 1 fix for.. ... ..
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-a-slow-samsung-solid-state-drive/

So. Sabrent or Inland?

I am willing to bet anything that Inland has a better warranty exchange program as they are based in the USA and in the Midwest.

I even believe stores will exchange for you if you bought off-line or thru someone else used. Just get their name and they will allow you to use their sale date information for warranty purposes. I've done this before. Microcenter is very flexible.

I am willing to bet anything that Inland has a better warranty exchange program as they are based in the USA and in the Midwest.

I even believe stores will exchange for you if you bought off-line or thru someone else used. Just get their name and they will allow you to use their sale date information for warranty purposes. I've done this before. Microcenter is very flexible.
Applicable to some, but not me. I dont have a MC in a one-hour drive in any direction.

snake oil is snake oil
remember to buy the pro version for more enhanced speeds :D

That version is actually the retail version that I got off usenet and or torrents. It's the portable version. No, it does what it says it does. Nothing snake oil about it. Take a look.

I especially love the TRIM feature. It's actually pretty hard to find one that isn't brand specific. In fact, many SSD companies don't even have a TRIM tool.

Can someone point me to a good free ssd Trim tool?

Last edited:
$125 for Sabrent, 5 year warranty vs. $135 for Inland 3 year warranty.

Buy it at MicroCenter, hang onto your receipt and packaging, take the defective part back to MC and they'll swap for the bad one out of their new stock.

Sabrent you probably have to call tech support, get an RMA, send it in to a regional center or something.

$125 for Sabrent, 5 year warranty vs. $135 for Inland 3 year warranty.

Buy it at MicroCenter, hang onto your receipt and packaging, take the defective part back to MC and they'll swap for the bad one out of their new stock.

Sabrent you probably have to call tech support, get an RMA, send it in to a regional center or something.

Same drive. If one company is offering a 5 year warranty then they obviously stand behind that product which in turn elevates the 3 year warranty drives. I've never owned the same SSD for 3 years. But I do imagine some guys that are broke, tight budgeted and or focused on getting the most out of their money will try and squeeze as many years out of an SSD as possible.

I would try and go for a tax free option if possible. The $125 5 year warranty no tax options sound very sweet, if possible.

Same drive. If one company is offering a 5 year warranty then they obviously stand behind that product which in turn elevates the 3 year warranty drives. I've never owned the same SSD for 3 years. But I do imagine some guys that are broke, tight budgeted and or focused on getting the most out of their money will try and squeeze as many years out of an SSD as possible.
Or just don't want to migrate data? Changing drives is a hassle, man. If there's not a compelling reason to do it, I wouldn't.

Or just don't want to migrate data? Changing drives is a hassle, man. If there's not a compelling reason to do it, I wouldn't.

I could change out a dozen M.2 drivers and install a fresh copy of Windows in very little time.

Macrium Reflect Free can clone, image and restore an imagine blindingly faaaaast.

I think M.2 driver are amazing.

I could change out a dozen M.2 drivers and install a fresh copy of Windows in very little time.

Macrium Reflect Free can clone, image and restore an imagine blindingly faaaaast.

I think M.2 driver are amazing.

I'd normally agree and say it's super fast and easy to swap out drives, but i run a custom water cooled loop and to change out a drive i have to break my loop down each time. Needless to say, after i square away the issues with the drive i have now, I won't be changing any time soon.

I'd normally agree and say it's super fast and easy to swap out drives, but i run a custom water cooled loop and to change out a drive i have to break my loop down each time. Needless to say, after i square away the issues with the drive i have now, I won't be changing any time soon.

oh wow, you're right. Some of you will have a very difficult time getting to one of these.

2TB when?

Now?

Here is the Corsair Force MP510 1.9TB for $319 .... not a bad price if you can get it tax free. Tax would make that purchase a terrible buy.

The Corsair Force MP510 uses the Phison E12 controller.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...2-SSDs/Force-Series-MP510/p/CSSD-F1920GBMP510

I also went and looked on eBay for you but SSD prices are totally fucked up on eBay because of the rapid price drops that are happening now across the board with this particular component. Those resellers have zero clue what they are doing atm.

For those adding heatsinks, I want to add this. I pulled this from CFD's site and translated it directly with google:

"About heat sink design
PG2VN's heat sink and thermal pad are not in contact with the Phison E12 controller.
There is a temperature sensor inside the Phison E12 controller, and pasting the thermal pad directly on the controller affects the accuracy of the sensor.
By adjusting the air flow inside the PC, the heat sink promotes high temperature control centering around the NAND flash and operates stably."

I would avoid attaching a heatsink to the controller.

For those adding heatsinks, I want to add this. I pulled this from CFD's site and translated it directly with google:

"About heat sink design
PG2VN's heat sink and thermal pad are not in contact with the Phison E12 controller.
There is a temperature sensor inside the Phison E12 controller, and pasting the thermal pad directly on the controller affects the accuracy of the sensor.
By adjusting the air flow inside the PC, the heat sink promotes high temperature control centering around the NAND flash and operates stably."

I would avoid attaching a heatsink to the controller.

I seen this already on mine. My mobo heatsink touches the nand but not the controller. I'll snap a pic of it later and post it up. I was already going to do this but havent. This was before you posted this. Just dont have time to.

I do too but with my move to a 2080ti with ek block I can get to my 3rd slot down very easily to load and unload an m.2. The card and block are one slot wide. Get rid of huge fan shrouds and you gain a ton of space in your case.

I do too but with my move to a 2080ti with ek block I can get to my 3rd slot down very easily to load and unload an m.2. The card and block are one slot wide. Get rid of huge fan shrouds and you gain a ton of space in your case.

Both my drive slots are behind the GPU. Granted i only have to break down the GPU part of the loop, it's still a pain each time haha

pc.jpeg

I also want to add one more note, the driver.

Don't bother looking for a chipset specific nvme driver for this, as it doesn't exist. This drive is designed to be used with Windows Native Driver in windows 10.

"The only gripe we have is the same one we've had since Phison's E7 controller first appeared on the scene over two years ago - no proprietary NVMe driver."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8641/phison-e12-nvme-pcie-gen3-x4-controller-preview/index6.html

Folks are silly.
from the link: "Absolutely stunning write performance. It's the best we've seen from any SSD including Optane."

and under cons it says
Cons: No Proprietary Driver

Can anyone explain how that is a con?
/rhetorical, please don't attempt an explanation.

That version is actually the retail version that I got off usenet and or torrents. It's the portable version. No, it does what it says it does. Nothing snake oil about it. Take a look.

I especially love the TRIM feature. It's actually pretty hard to find one that isn't brand specific. In fact, many SSD companies don't even have a TRIM tool.

Can someone point me to a good free ssd Trim tool?
Uh... the one that comes with Windows?

upload_2019-3-28_10-18-55.png

upload_2019-3-28_10-20-6.png

Both my drive slots are behind the GPU. Granted i only have to break down the GPU part of the loop, it's still a pain each time haha

View attachment 151223
I think a lot of people didn't consider vertical video card placement, or even hard line tubing. That looks like a maximus formula, so yeah your slots are quite inaccessible. I have a maximus hero, and the upper slot would be accessible under the republic of gamers heatsink, but that doesn't apply to your motherboard layout. With the standard horizontal video card position and soft tubes, which is what I think was originally pictured in people's minds, it's not too hard to move things around and access the slots. So today I learned a downside to those two watercooling options that I hadn't thought about before. Here's a photo of my layout, you can see how easy access to the lower m2 slot is (just for reference, not criticizing your layout.) I tried using the upper slot, but it was a pain to get the screw in with the tubing in the way so I just used the lower one.
0328191019_HDR.jpg

Nice, you learn something all the time. Wonder why they don't mention "Trim" anywhere? Wonder how many people skip over this because it looks somewhat like the defrag tool.
Because normies wouldn't know and wouldn't care about the difference. A lot of things in Windows were dumbed down for this reason.

Keeping it scheduled to the default weekly run will be fine. If you do a large amount of writes and/or deletes during a single day then I would manually "optimize" that drive.

I think a lot of people didn't consider vertical video card placement, or even hard line tubing. That looks like a maximus formula, so yeah your slots are quite inaccessible. I have a maximus hero, and the upper slot would be accessible under the republic of gamers heatsink, but that doesn't apply to your motherboard layout. With the standard horizontal video card position and soft tubes, which is what I think was originally pictured in people's minds, it's not too hard to move things around and access the slots. So today I learned a downside to those two watercooling options that I hadn't thought about before. Here's a photo of my layout, you can see how easy access to the lower m2 slot is (just for reference, not criticizing your layout.) I tried using the upper slot, but it was a pain to get the screw in with the tubing in the way so I just used the lower one.
View attachment 151231

Yeah it's the formula, I wish it was as easy to get to mine as yours lol. On the plus side, since my GPU is vertical i'm getting a m.2 fan holder 3d printed and you won't see the ugly tan noctua fan. Due to my unique layout and watercooling with no case fans blowing around, it seems like the only option to keep the drive cool and prevent throttling. Single sided drives seem to have no issues, but these double sided ones suffer in my setup.
M.2-fan-holder-1.jpg

Because normies wouldn't know and wouldn't care about the difference. A lot of things in Windows were dumbed down for this reason.

Keeping it scheduled to the default weekly run will be fine. If you do a large amount of writes and/or deletes during a single day then I would manually "optimize" that drive.
It appears there is more about ssd's and file fragmentation than I previously understood.
The following is a must read.
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

from the link
It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit Maximum File Fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.
TMYK

imho
Does this mean you need to freakout and defrag your ssd every second, no (there are pills for that if you think that way), and most people could go a lifetime w/out a defragging their ssd (note, not w/out the ssd's own trash collection and/or windows trim command)

It appears there is more about ssd's and file fragmentation than I previously understood.
The following is a must read.
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

from the link
It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit maximum file fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.
TMYK

imho
Does this mean you need to freakout and defrag your ssd every second, no (there are pills for that if you think that way), and most people could go a lifetime w/out a defragging their ssd (note, not w/out the ssd's own trash collection and/or windows trim command)
Note that this post is from 2014. The controllers on solid state drives have improved a lot since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back