Hot Toshiba 5TB for $140

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Newegg had them at 140 too but were out of stock last I checked. I found them on amazon for 140 as well. Toshiba is coming out with a new line so these are the new best TB per dollars right now.

I am so tempted to get these but if I did I would be capacity locked on my NAS for a long time before it was economical to upgrade. I am using 3 TBs at the moment and I really want to get 6 TBs.That would future proof me for a very long time.

Toshiba 5TB $140
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-7200r...F8&qid=1444072041&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+5tb

B&H has them too ^-^
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...YOFrMgCFQIcaQodsI4I9g&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Plus now I pay taxes at amazon so it really eks me to buy these at amazon since there are no amazon fulfillment ones that are tax free at that price :/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am concerned about the high failure rate blackbaze reported for the Toshiba drives although it was a small sample so I am waiting till more data comes in before I consider these.

I am concerned about the high failure rate blackbaze reported for the Toshiba drives although it was a small sample so I am waiting till more data comes in before I consider these.

it was the same as the Reds IIRC or close to them.

Just had a drive fail over the weekend. So, I'm looking to replace one. Not so sure on this. Probably stick with WD.

While the price is good, I rather pay extra and get the 5 yr warranty with wd black. Also when I ordered the 5tb versions of the Toshiba, they had a labeling errors (read it on the reviews) Amazon CS refunded my money.

FWIW they've been this price since January at Microcenter, though it seems like they recently bumped their price by $10.

I bought a bunch of the Canvio (external version) at MC. Shucked the drive and they've been rock solid as expected, since they're basically Hitachi's (same design and plant).

Dumped all my Seagates including 5TB SMR's for these drives and couldn't be happier.

They've been this price on amazon a while now as well. I've been looking at these for the past month to see if they will go lower, but they are consistently this price.

FWIW they've been this price since January at Microcenter, though it seems like they recently bumped their price by $10.

I bought a bunch of the Canvio (external version) at MC. Shucked the drive and they've been rock solid as expected, since they're basically Hitachi's (same design and plant).

Dumped all my Seagates including 5TB SMR's for these drives and couldn't be happier.

I want to say these have been $130 before. I have been slowly going to these toshiba drives, 2TB, version and no issues so far. Going to add two of these to my media server at some point.

I was previously excited about these, then I ordered a few to test them out as I'm soon looking to order a new batch for another NAS. They failed within 48 hours after passing initial full format and tests. I know everyone is bound to receive some bad drives at some point in their life, but I've ordered dozens of Hitachi, HGST and WD drives in my time and never received a bad drive. I was a bit bummed out because price/size/performance ratio is fantastic. Transfers were over 210MBps and access times were under 13ms. Guess I'm sticking with HGST but that's ok, the price premium is worth being stress free.

and will you be abusing them in an environment like backblaze does...

They've been this price on amazon a while now as well. I've been looking at these for the past month to see if they will go lower, but they are consistently this price.

I want to say these have been $130 before. I have been slowly going to these toshiba drives, 2TB, version and no issues so far. Going to add two of these to my media server at some point.

Indeed.

The best I got was $130 for this drive, first one I got at $140, and they have been $139 on Amazon for the last 4-6 months at least. This is normal price for these drives, and the ones I have, have been running solid, without issue in a little NAS box I have at home.

While this is normal price, I do still think they are great bang for the buck, if not the best bang for the buck normal priced drive out there, I would have more, I just don't have a use for 40TB+ of storage, that and my NAS/Server is out of SATA ports now.

The 5th has been at $135-140 for the past few months, at least since July. I've been very tempted.

Zarathustra[H];1041894846 said:

Not an issue. I realize its always been a marketing bulletpoint for WD Reds because they have it disabled, and its been this popular myth that you needed TLER disabled or drives would drop like flies from HW raid controllers, but it's not an issue with HGST/Toshiba.

Nice price. But I won't use a 7200 RPM drive for massive storage. They die faster then 5400 drives.

Nice price. But I won't use a 7200 RPM drive for massive storage. They die faster then 5400 drives.

For a home server running 24/7 I'd be more concerned about power consumption.

I have 12 4TB WD Red's in mine, and the server pulls about 300w on average at the wall.

Not sure how much of that is due to the hard drives though from reviews I find that they range from 3.5W each (idle) to 5.4W each (heavy writes).

That's 42-65W total for my drives. Makes me wonder what's using all the rest of the power :p I have an 80plus platinum PSU.

I suspect it is a matter of lots of things adding up, as opposed to any one thing.

My server also contains 6 SSD's, two LSI 9211-8i controllers (these get hot, and thus probably account for a chunk of it) a quad port Intel Pro/1000PT network card, a Brocade BR1020 10 gig adapter, 96GB of RAM, two relatively low power Xeon L5640 6 cores, and - well - the motherboard.

Wonder how much more power it would take if they were 7200ropm drives.

Zarathustra[H];1041895472 said:
For a home server running 24/7 I'd be more concerned about power consumption.

I have 12 4TB WD Red's in mine, and the server pulls about 300w on average at the wall.

Not sure how much of that is due to the hard drives though from reviews I find that they range from 3.5W each (idle) to 5.4W each (heavy writes).

That's 42-65W total for my drives. Makes me wonder what's using all the rest of the power :p I have an 80plus platinum PSU.

I suspect it is a matter of lots of things adding up, as opposed to any one thing.

My server also contains 6 SSD's, two LSI 9211-8i controllers (these get hot, and thus probably account for a chunk of it) a quad port Intel Pro/1000PT network card, a Brocade BR1020 10 gig adapter, 96GB of RAM, two relatively low power Xeon L5640 6 cores, and - well - the motherboard.

Wonder how much more power it would take if they were 7200ropm drives.

CPU and fans are probable the biggest part

Hmm, really tempted to pull the trigger on a couple of these. Had another Seagate 3TB drive die on me and I'm out of spares. For the price.. part of me says to bite the bullet and order one with plans on replacing my existing 3TB drives over the next couple months.

Anyone using these with ZFS and know of any gotchas to look out for (APM for example)? I need to rebuild my storage server anyways and move away from OpenIndiana since Crashplan isn't supporting Solaris or OpenSolaris anymore (probably ZOL on Ubuntu).

^ APM is not an issue with HGST or Toshiba. If your Seagate 3TB's are a few years old or getting near/past warranty, it's probably a good time to unload. Note I'm not in the "Seagate sucks hurr durr Backblaze" camp. I had a few dozen 3TB's and 4TB's for several yeras and never experienced any Seagate failures, they never gave me any problems except for the 5TB's that I bought before it was known they were SMR. However once I started buying the Toshiba 5TB's I simply wanted uniformity so the Seagates had to go.

^ APM is not an issue with HGST or Toshiba. If your Seagate 3TB's are a few years old or getting near/past warranty, it's probably a good time to unload. Note I'm not in the "Seagate sucks hurr durr Backblaze" camp. I had a few dozen 3TB's and 4TB's for several yeras and never experienced any Seagate failures, they never gave me any problems except for the 5TB's that I bought before it was known they were SMR. However once I started buying the Toshiba 5TB's I simply wanted uniformity so the Seagates had to go.

same with you on that one but yea that's good advice

While the price is good, I rather pay extra and get the 5 yr warranty with wd black. Also when I ordered the 5tb versions of the Toshiba, they had a labeling errors (read it on the reviews) Amazon CS refunded my money.

WD5001FZWX cost ~260. Is an extra two years of warranty on a hard drive really worth a hundred twenty bucks to you?

WD5001FZWX cost ~260. Is an extra two years of warranty on a hard drive really worth a hundred twenty bucks to you?

I know I would rather get 2x the Toshiba drives, as you are pretty close to the price.

There is now a new version of this drive, the X300. Anyone know what the difference is?

Honestly looks like a rebrand to me just to be able to charge more.

Highly unlikely that they merely changed the sticker. I'm going to get one, I suspect firmware will be different, throughput may be different. We'll see.

Hmm, really tempted to pull the trigger on a couple of these. Had another Seagate 3TB drive die on me and I'm out of spares. For the price.. part of me says to bite the bullet and order one with plans on replacing my existing 3TB drives over the next couple months.

Anyone using these with ZFS and know of any gotchas to look out for (APM for example)? I need to rebuild my storage server anyways and move away from OpenIndiana since Crashplan isn't supporting Solaris or OpenSolaris anymore (probably ZOL on Ubuntu).

I know for one I'll never touch a Seagate 3tb drive again (they SUCK) and I won't buy the 5TB drives as I was one of the ones who got scammed with that whole SMR bull shit.

Right now I'm rocking a mixture of Toshiba's and WD's (mostly greens).

Highly unlikely that they merely changed the sticker. I'm going to get one, I suspect firmware will be different, throughput may be different. We'll see.

I have the first 5TB, and should be getting the newer X300 in today, I am planning on expanding my storage a good bit and wanted to check out the newer drive before I buy.

I know for one I'll never touch a Seagate 3tb drive again (they SUCK) and I won't buy the 5TB drives as I was one of the ones who got scammed with that whole SMR bull shit.

Right now I'm rocking a mixture of Toshiba's and WD's (mostly greens).

huh?

Back