Hot To Cold - Newegg Open Box Radeons

And....They are all gone in less than an hour lol, at least the good ones. I gotta be quicker next time, 290x at $480 is super hot!

Thanks OP.

I would be careful with open box. I rma'd a 290 card and it showed up available as open box the same day they received the card. That card had issues with random black screens during gameplay and the rma stated the card was defective.

Since there are so many Powercolor ones, Im thinking they are selling all of Powercolor's RMA/Refurbs directly.

For what it's worth I have never received a 100% working video card or motherboard via newegg open box.

For what it's worth I've received plenty of working open box GPUs.

Around 2-3 years ago newegg used to have crazy deals on open box items, especially GPUs. They were usually around 35% off, sometimes a lot more, sometimes less. People would constantly check them and they were usually gone within minutes.

I picked up 2 2TB HDD's for $30 2 years ago, still working fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust the refurb PowerColor 7870s. I bought two of the refurbs off of newegg not long ago.

One was DOA, the other lasted about 3 days before it completely died.

To top it off, they do not have any cooling at all on the VRMs.

For what it's worth I've received plenty of working GPUs.

Around 2-3 years ago newegg used to have crazy deals on open box items, especially GPUs. They were usually around 35% off, sometimes a lot more, sometimes less. People would constantly check them and they were usually gone within minutes.

I picked up 2 2TB HDD's for $30 2 years ago, still working fine.

So, have you bought an open box GPU?

Last edited:
Since there are so many Powercolor ones, Im thinking they are selling all of Powercolor's RMA/Refurbs directly.

Were there non-Powercolor products in the list? All I see are Powercolor products...Never had & heard their products until last year.

powercolor has been an AMD vendor for many years, they are not "new" not even close, most of AMD partners are quite old starting with ATi of course, Asus, Diamond, Creative, Visiontek, Sapphire and so forth.

As for the VRM/Ram cooling, AMD and Nvidia both need to step on their vendors heads and enforce that Vregs, ram, core etc all get active cooling preferably via a heat-transfer pad or something cause there is many cards out there with custom coolers that do a crap job of keeping anything but the core at a reasonable temperature.

AND they REALLY need to ensure they do not go below a certain grade of components to save $1 or 2 on the BOM so they can sell it for a bit less, it might be sapphire or whatever name folks see, but they also see Nvidia/AMD (GTX or Radeon) so if the card dies, maybe they lost a potential purchaser and endorser for a lifetime because they decided to cheap out or not give a RMA etc. Like me with Nvidia :)

Last edited:
Powercolor is one of the lowest quality brands available for AMD video cards. Always has been.

Powercolor is one of the lowest quality brands available for AMD video cards. Always has been.

So powercolor is worse than Diamond/vtx 3d, Radium Wind, Colorful, Biostar, Foxconn, and even Jetway???

Yeh Diamond is just crud, shame cause apparently at one time there were very good, just have read nothing but bad rep on them for the last couple of years really, powercolor/visiontek/xfx seems to be a come and go type thing.

VTX3d and powercolor are both part of the same "head" TUL corp and they are very good friends with Foxconn so they can change their own specs at a moments notice

Colorfire, Sapphire, XFX, Visiontek, zalman, ASUS, MSI, Maxsun, Powercolor, Diamond/vtx 3d, Radium Wind, Colorful, Biostar, Foxconn, jetway and club3d(and some others that stopped and numerous others that have started making 1 off resells) they all have their own bad sides and good sides, some grew up, some are still tools :p

Were there non-Powercolor products in the list? All I see are Powercolor products...Never had & heard their products until last year.
Power Color has been making Radeons since pretty much day one from when ATi stopped sole manufacturing of their own video cards and just made the chips (aka nVidia's business model).

Of course, in all that time they have never been a premiere brand.

Those weren't the Tahiti le ones.

Not the linked one, but there was an LE for that price.

Nothing to lose trying one out. If its bad, send it back. They pay return shipping, and there is no restocking fee.

Every open box item Ive ever gotten from Newegg has worked 100%. Have probably gotten 15 or so in the last few years.

Nothing to lose trying one out. If its bad, send it back. They pay return shipping, and there is no restocking fee.

well crap, that is awesome hell yeh try it out, if the price of a new one is ~1/3 to 1/2 more why not, what kind of warranty is there only 30 days?

well crap, that is awesome hell yeh try it out, if the price of a new one is ~1/3 to 1/2 more why not, what kind of warranty is there only 30 days?

Usually for open box, its remainder of time from manufacture.

how come newegg has some many old models as open box, they must have been stacking them up in the warehouse and release them all in one batch

how come newegg has some many old models as open box, they must have been stacking them up in the warehouse and release them all in one batch

Powercolor is using them to empty their RMA build up.

It's a absolutely insane that video card prices aren't coming down. I bought my 7970 for $225 about a month before all the prices hit the fan.

Guess I'll just keep playing max Payne 1&2, CS and C&C Generals on my i5 4670k HD4600 till the insane GPU prices come down.

Newegg Open Box stuff has been pretty good to me. I would say it's worth a try if you can lucky enough to grab a good deal while it's still in stock. Like someone else said worst that can happen is you send it back for a refund since they don't charge restocking fee on defective open box stuff.

yeh if they pull that crap just put into a box and resell it they out to be investigated especially as it seems they do not really test them gathered by what many people have stated in their respective experiences as many times there is not a massive price difference between the MSRP and their reselling price they can afford to make a test bed for Nvidia/AMD respectively for these type situations.

Back