HOT Sennheiser HD650 $319

Just recieved this email hmmmmmmm

Sennheiser
Sennheiser Sennheiser Oops!
You left something in your cart.

Thank you for visiting the Sennheiser online store*. We noticed that you recently placed
an item in your cart but did not complete your purchase.

As a special thank you for visiting, we would like to offer you 10% off PLUS free shipping.
To return to the Sennheiser online store and complete your order please click here. Sennheiser
Sennheiser
Sennheiser

then I go to the site and get this message

Server Error

Error:
We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser's back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action.
Error Number: SYS_000001

was on the front page of slickdeals. No wonder it is dead so quickly lolol. Finally a good deal I was able to get in on.

Anyone know if these are good for gaming. Specifically BF4, and other fps where directional sound is important?

they are great in BF4. i have no problem perceiving positional cues.

They're amazing for everything, you'll need to invest another ~$500 on good cables and an amp for them though...

i agree they're amazing for everything. i don't agree with needing an upgraded cable but that's something a lot of people don't see eye to eye on. maybe some $850 cables? :D

Just a heads up, the HiFi HE-400s are going to be on sale for $299.99 from razordog on blackfriday/cybermonday. Not sure how they compare to the 650's..

thanks for the heads up, i might bite on that deal.

How would these be with the amp on that Creative sound card on this deals section? >.>

probably a lot better than most would expect. for the hell of it i plugged my HD650's into my iPhone when i first received them (i was at my office with no other gear). they sounded pretty damn good. you will probably be in a decent spot going straight out of your sound card. not ideal but livable.

Server error. If anybody's deals go through you can definitely power them with a quality receiver. My HD580s (HD650 grandfather with same power requirements) sound absolutely amazing through my Nakamichi RE-10. I've read people on head-file arguing receiver headphone outputs are better than most dedicated headphone amps. Although I've never used a good headphone amp so I can't comment. But definitely try your receive before dropping cash on a HP amp.

I'm going to order the HE-400's during the Friday-Monday deal as well. At these prices I figure I'll be able to audition both the HD650's and HE-400's and sell whichever one I don't like quite as much. Never had a pair of planar headphones, so I had been planning on getting the HE-400's since I heard about the $299 deal a few days ago, but when the HD 650's showed up for $320, then $271 I just couldn't resist.

The HE-400's are a little easier to drive than HD650s by most reports.

Just got email confirmation of the order for $271.97. But that email said I can get an additional %10 percent off. I may call them to try and get the %10 off in addition to the other discounts. :)

Just got email confirmation of the order for $271.97. But that email said I can get an additional %10 percent off. I may call them to try and get the %10 off in addition to the other discounts. :)

let me know if you can do that!

my order got declined...

Declined or cancelled? My order went through and I payed through paypal. I received an email from Paypal saying the money went through, but I haven't received an email from Sennheiser yet.

Dam $449 for the Lyr, what about the models in between ?

By no means am I an expert or an authority on the matter. I am just regurgitating some information I learned from spending some time reading up on the matter.

As far as the Lyr goes, it is a tube amp. I've read a lot of people claiming that this particular tube amp has a sound signature that pairs really well with the HD650's sound signature. That is why the Lyr gets recommended.

The Magni is a solid state amp. It is a very nice little headphone amp for the price. Solid state amps usually do not have a very distinct sound signature like the different tubes in tube amps. For the most part, you just want a solid state amp that is capable of powering the headphones without straining itself, because if it is straining that causes distortion. The Magni is certainly not the most powerful amp out there, but it can do 260mW @ 300ohms, which seems capable enough.

If you go with a more powerful solid state amp, I am not sure how much better the performance be. If you go with a tube amp, it really depends on the tubes, they all sound different. I personally shy away from tube amps, but there are some very strong tube amp supporters out there.

Server error. If anybody's deals go through you can definitely power them with a quality receiver. My HD580s (HD650 grandfather with same power requirements) sound absolutely amazing through my Nakamichi RE-10. I've read people on head-file arguing receiver headphone outputs are better than most dedicated headphone amps. Although I've never used a good headphone amp so I can't comment. But definitely try your receive before dropping cash on a HP amp.

I don't know about using receiver headphone jacks. I have tried using a Denon 1913 receiver headphone jack. It was not very good. These jacks are not a separate amp for headphones. They take the much more powerful speaker amp and use a some very high resistance resistors to scale the power down. This can have a dramatic effect on the sound signature. It might power it ok, but it will likely not sound proper (and often with muddled bass).

probably a lot better than most would expect. for the hell of it i plugged my HD650's into my iPhone when i first received them (i was at my office with no other gear). they sounded pretty damn good. you will probably be in a decent spot going straight out of your sound card. not ideal but livable.

Yeah they probably will sound ok plugged into an iPhone. But they won't sound as good as having an actual amp. I would imagine the bass and lower frequencies would be really loose. Higher frequencies do not take much power, but to get the proper dynamics out of the lower frequencies, you need to be feeding it adequate power. (this becomes really apparent with speakers when they get turned up too loud on not enough power; I assume this is the same for headphones).

Glad I already have a pair of these, if I did not I would have been pissed about missing this badass deal.

What about a amp that could power a pair of book shelf studio monitors and these headphones that wont take up half my desk. I mean I could find a normal receiver for like surround sound. Would that be a good option? or would it be better to get a headphone amp then get a pair of powered monitors. suggestions ?

You can use speaker amps to power headphones with an adapter. But you have to be very careful. First, the speaker amp should be a shared ground amp (most of them are not). If it doesn't have a shared ground, and you just use banana plugs to a headphone jack adapter, you can ruin your equipment. If it has a shared ground, all should be well.

Also, speaker amps are can be a lot of power for a headphone. If you are not careful you can turn it up too loud and blowout your headphones.

Finally, there might be some audible hiss (depending on the sensitivity of the headphone), this may or may not be an issue.

I have an Emotiva Mini-X a100. It is a nice little 50w speaker amp. It powers my Arx A1b speakers great. It does have a shared ground, and I have also read it powers planar driver headphones (like the HE-500) wonderfully. But I imagine this is probably much too powerful for a dynamic driver headphone like the HD650. But I'm sure someone has tried it over at head-fi. You could check over there and see what they thought about it.

Thanks for the info guys ! Very Informative. I just called them about the additional %10 off. He said the order will be shipped most likely Monday and that he could give me an additional %10 percent off the $271.97 making my total $244.77! He said it should be reflected on my order when it ships.
Thanks again everyone and OP!

I bought these headphones for 230 a couple years ago. Probably my favorite pair of headphones yet!

Anyone else get the %10 off email? If so I would call and make sure they deduct it from your order.

What do you guys recommend to power these bad boys. Will my Asus Impact sound card be enough or should I look into an external headphone Amp?

I have a Zero DAC/amp. They drive my Sennheiser HD595 headphones perfectly and should work fine with the 650s.

I tried code CYBT3PPS and it didn't work. The Paramount code works, however.

It's a good thing the code didn't work for me; as much as I want these cans, I didn't really want to spend that money on headphones :p

Edit: Verified - EXPIRED

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Kr1z. I'm planning on a itx build with a asus Impact motherboard. It has a built in amp, I hope it's enough to power these.

I own that mb and its great itx mb but the sound card amp on it doesn't work and many people have complained about it but Asus hasn't fixed the driver for it yet. Sucks.

Mine hasn't shipped yet. I've received "order submitted" and "order confirmation" emails, no shipped emails yet though.

Most of us "audiophiles" have a desk mic, clip on mic, or mod mic. Headsets are overrated.

Too hard to lean over to talk into a desktop mic while gaming...If you have it set so you don't have to lean over, then clicking keys is loud and annoying. Multiple cables suck too. Just my opinion of course. Maybe one day someone will make a decent headset some day but headphones + separate mic drives me nuts.

Too hard to lean over to talk into a desktop mic while gaming...If you have it set so you don't have to lean over, then clicking keys is loud and annoying. Multiple cables suck too. Just my opinion of course. Maybe one day someone will make a decent headset some day but headphones + separate mic drives me nuts.

Check out www.modmic.com

There are DIY methods out there that are cheaper (like getting a Labtec 7330 and velcroing it to the side). But modmic an easy and clean way of doing it.

The two I mentioned are boom mics, not open mics like a desktop mic.

Some people use a Zalman clip on mic, and clip it to the cord of the headphone. Those are ok, but personally I think the Labtec and modmics are better. I believe the Zalman clip on is an open mic. I prefer boom mics. From the sound of it, you do too. (boom mics rarely pick up keyboard clacking or background noise)

These cans are so far beyond any headset it's comical. Definitely worth it to wire a separate mic. These are true world-class, neutral reference grade headphones.Back in the day these open cans were the premiere choice for pro gamers (Quake 2 / Quake 3 days). They are great for positioning and you will hear_every_detail (provided you are in a silent room - there is NO isolation). If I remember correctly in Quake 2 you can hear when an opponent picks up an item no matter where they are on the map, so sound is extremely important for armor and weapon pickup timing and enemy positioning.

I received a shipping confirmation email but the "Tracking URL" field was blank, and there is no tracking number. Hmm...

Decent software with noise reduction and a directional mic eliminates all these problems. My Creative Soundblaster ZXR has a control module with a built in mic that allows you to focus only on voices directly infront. I can speak into it naturally without it picking up any other noises.

Back