Hot? SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB 32MB 3.5" Internal HDD $99.00

Finally getting close to the price I paid last year. But considering these are Seagate not samsung I will wait till they drop below $79. Hopefully in the next 6 months because I am rapidly losing disc space. Where is the NOS stash of actual samsung drives? Can't believe they are not for sale someplace.

Yep. This is really starting to get tempted. Hopefully prices continue to drop.

I Bought 3 a while back for 60 bucks a pop on newegg.. as soon as prices get close to that again I need another 3 or 5..

It's a lie I tell ya! I know cuz the "smert" folks on [H] swore up-and-down that the inflated HD prices were a conspiracy and that the HD companies would never ever bring prices down to what they were before last fall.... :p

I'd be in for two, but still set for another year with my current storage and my next storage server will probably be all 4TB+ drives.

Excellent price for an excellent drive.

Pre-flood prices were around $79,99 for this drive.

I have 7 or 8 of these in my server; bought them at $60 and they've been on 24/7 since with not a single issue.

HDD's need to drop a little more in price so I can have some for RAID. SSD's are looking good too!

Excellent price for an excellent drive.

Pre-flood prices were around $79,99 for this drive.

Incorrect. Preflood prices were excellent for an excellent drive. Now we have mediocre prices for mediocre drives. Have read plenty of stories about bad seagate versions of the F4. If a company buys another company and does not use the purchased companies manufacturing process they should not be able to use the purchased companies name. This is false advertising to me. These are seagate drives. Nothing about them is samsung any more.

Glad to see prices heading back to Pre-Flood levels !
Another 10% drop or so and it's time to stock up again!

Grabbed one of these a week or two ago for $110 (my 4th). I may pick up another one, and possibly a 5-bay raid-5 NAS so I can stop manually duplicating things between two boxes...

Will these RAID well with the real Samsung ones?

I have four Samsung ones. Use them for storing movies/shows. Thinking of getting enough to do some form of RAID that will have fast transfer rates, and not lose everything from one if it should fail.

Will these RAID well with the real Samsung ones?

I have four Samsung ones. Use them for storing movies/shows. Thinking of getting enough to do some form of RAID that will have fast transfer rates, and not lose everything from one if it should fail.

you can raid any drive with another depending on raid your doing. If you are doing raid 1 than any two drives of the same size will work. I have done this plenty of times, should not be an issue.

Incorrect. Preflood prices were excellent for an excellent drive. Now we have mediocre prices for mediocre drives. Have read plenty of stories about bad seagate versions of the F4. If a company buys another company and does not use the purchased companies manufacturing process they should not be able to use the purchased companies name. This is false advertising to me. These are seagate drives. Nothing about them is samsung any more.

Hard drive go bad and it happens all the time. I have had a seagate 2tb for about 3 years now without any issues.

I had a raid of four seagate 1.5tbs and while under 3 year warranty lost 3 of the drives, then lost the raid completely with a 2 drive loss shortly after warranty was up. I had a friend with similar experience with his raid. I get it's anecdotal, but it's enough to make me nervous anyway.

Seagate can eat a massive bag of dicks for buying up Samsung. I don't even know what hard drives to buy now... obviously not their garbage.

Have read plenty of stories about bad seagate versions of the F4. If a company buys another company and does not use the purchased companies manufacturing process they should not be able to use the purchased companies name. This is false advertising to me. These are seagate drives. Nothing about them is samsung any more.

Are you talking about individual stories you read on the web or some article you found somewhere? I was interested to see what would happen once Seagate got a hold of them.

Just reading accounts on the web. No definitive quality studies or anything like that. I own seagate drives. Some have firmware issues but most of them are just fine. I have some samsung drives that have been flawless. I have no WD. I have no Hitachi. My experience with samsung and seagate are similar to what I read on the net which is why I tend to believe what I read on this subject. My sample size is much smaller than the internet but is still similar.

Seagate can eat a massive bag of dicks for buying up Samsung. I don't even know what hard drives to buy now... obviously not their garbage.

I recommend hitachi. For the last 2 years at work (with over 30 hitachi 2TB drives purchased) these have given me the least trouble. Only 1 RMA and that was a DOA drive. Seagate has by far given me the most trouble with 20+ drives RMA'd (out of ~75 Seagate 7200.10s, 7200.11s and 7200.12s) in the same period.

I recommend hitachi. For the last 2 years at work (with over 30 hitachi 2TB drives purchased) these have given me the least trouble. Only 1 RMA and that was a DOA drive. Seagate has by far given me the most trouble with 20+ drives RMA'd (out of ~75 Seagate 7200.10s, 7200.11s and 7200.12s) in the same period.

Thanks for this.

It's good to see some numbers. I had used hitachi drives a while back without too much issue. I'll try them again.

Got one, Model Shows

Samsung Barracuda Green!!!

The two i bought were from 11/2011 and were also samsung brand drives - no seagate on it whatso ever. Looks like they may just be clearing old stock making way for more seagate ones.

Get Hitachi if you want a reliable hard drive. Personally any 1TB hard drive and above I look at the ability to through it into a RAID array as a measure of reliability. Samsung and Hitachi were the brands of choice. Now I just have to settle with Hitachi :(

I remember 2 years ago buying 16 of these for $65 a pop...they need to come back down I need 8 more...

Get Hitachi if you want a reliable hard drive. Personally any 1TB hard drive and above I look at the ability to through it into a RAID array as a measure of reliability. Samsung and Hitachi were the brands of choice. Now I just have to settle with Hitachi :(

Mine all run raid...

Back