HOT: Samsung 2018 55" "BFGD" 120hz @ 1440p with HDR CHEAP @ 799.99 or, Open Box $679 Best Buy ht

That's cool that they are extending the features down to the smaller models. A boon for PC users.

Not surprised at all about the lack of DisplayPort - a few of us called that early on so at least there's less disappointment, lol.

Hopefully input lag numbers will be the same as the previous sets or even less - can't wait for the Rtings reviews on these. There may end up being a big thread at OCN as well...those guys tend to dive in early and dive in deep.

Asus and I believe someone else are slated to release 43" 4K 120Hz monitors this year - could make for some difficult decisions depending on how they choose to price them.
Not too surprising like you said, but would have been nice. What are the chances that NVIDIA is going to support VRR over HDMI?

BACK ON SALE ONCE AGAIN UNTIL SATURDAY The 9th of March.

Samsung 2018 55" "BFGD" 120hz Native @ 1440p with HDR CHEAP @ 799.99 or, Open Box $679

Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6199827.p?skuId=6199827

8.9ms input lag. This is better than a lot of gaming monitors. Go look for yourself.
2ms pixel response time
120hz Native @ 1440p
HDR
Robust Game Mode
Freesync Basic and Freesync Ultimate

Yes, this works with nVidia cards.

Under PC Mode you do get 4:4:4 Chroma and Game Mode.

Incredible display if you're looking for a large format high-end high performance monitor.

To date, I've had 6 of my gaming buddies move to this display. Most had to get bigger desks and nearly all of them came over from 60hz to 120hz. We are all in our late 30's and late 40's. We don't have young eyes anymore. lol.

View attachment 138569 View attachment 138570

Great deal but age doesnt equate to your eyes Haha. Y
I never said "any" TV ..... I said "this" display.

Who says? You sayz? lol ... get over it. Let me break it down for you ... BFGD .... Big ... Format ... Gaming ... Display ... what do you think 55" is?

You think I care about nVidia's brand marketing? Yeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight .... told you people before, I'm value and performance oriented.

1440p ? .... CHECK! .... 120hz? .... CHECK! .... HDR? ... CHECK! ..... 9ms input lag? ... CHECK! .... 2ms Pixel Response? .... CHECK! Works with both Freesync and Gsync? .... CHECK!

If you really want to go pay nVidia $4,000 dollars for the right to tell people you have a BFGD ... be my guest.

But, I also have one. $799? Double hell yeah baby! Same difference ... who gives a F about 4k @ 144hz ... There is literally nothing, repeat nothing on the market that can push that. Oh, well, let me re-phase ... if you want to spend $3,000 on 2 x RTX 2080 ti's ... for a total of $7,000 .... if the SLI Profile Gods are in your corner, maybe.

Sorry, this is an affordable BFGD all day long. Make no mistake. You, go take you're $7,000 dollars .... put it in your mouth and buy one. Then, come back, take some pictures, post them, and tell us you have an "official" BFGD. Then we can all laugh at you.

I wont argue with that haha

Your guess is as good as mine, friend. Lots of people hoping that will happen, so maybe they will cave eventually.

My 2 cents, I agree nvidia hopefully cave in.

Does Samsung know something, we don't? Like Xbox1X runs amd apu and beefed up RX580 with 384-bit bus = 382 gb secs. I never thought id ever own Xbox or Ps, I didnt like them, i tried play and get it.

Year's later I bought Xbox1x BF5 Gold Edtion and i was blown away, how smooth and VRR makes games super smooth no long, I own nu8000 75" VRR/FreeSync.

I've never bought new GPU on lunch day, well I'm thinking This wont be huge upgrade from GTX 1080ti. I was wrong freesync and enchanted sync. Everything looks great and is very smooth.

My question is, Samsung who makes good T.V's, starts putting FreeSync in QF series and nu8000 series.

Other good question ask is, Why didnt Samung add G-sync with TV's, sure cost more, There also be choice.

So who is stopping nvidia and samsung make t.v and what had samsung choose Amd Gpu's for desktop and consoles?

Your guess is as good as mine, friend. Lots of people hoping that will happen, so maybe they will cave eventually.

Nvidia won't cave until they add HDMI 2.1 support to their cards at which point they will pretty much have to support it.

Just saw it dropped to $650 yesterday on Amazon.

Been watching it for a while after I saw this thread, so I went ahead and bit on it. I'll let you know how it goes!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NBMTWY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Y0mXCb5K5KQ68

I hooked up hdmi 2.1 on my nu8000 75" and testing on xbox1x, colors look better and smoother, I bought belkin 2.1 hdmi, i seen it was on approved list for hdmi 2.1

It could be my mind tricking me. But to me, pc testing tell me for sure.

I have yet try on pc, looking at getting vega 64 or buying other Radeon VII.

My Coscto has the 55"s back for $699 (as of last Thursday) and I just found this smoking deal on Amazon for a certified refurbished 55":.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Prem...556545092&s=gateway&sprefix=Samsung+nu&sr=8-6

If not mistaken, i have been using belkin 2.1 hdmi cable, and its fixed problems where bandwidth is short.

When i get my gpu for pc, I'll so more testing, right now im using xbox1x and it no lag or anything, colors look better and sound no longer cuts out

Reading on hdmi 2.1 samsung can give update nu8000 series boom hdmi 2.1.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should I be able to set my desktop res to 1080P/1440P in windows and then be able to automatically pick a 120hz refresh rate? I cannot get that to work, using the PC labled as "PC" on HDMI 1 and Game mode turned on with FS to either basic or ultimate. I am using this cable https://www.costco.com/WireLogic-12-Feet-Sapphire-HDMI-Cable,-2-pack.product.100376910.html

This is with an RX 550 4GB with 19.5.1 and the AMD control panel shows FS active using Win10 Pro 1809 fully updated.

Should I be able to set my desktop res to 1080P/1440P in windows and then be able to automatically pick a 120hz refresh rate? I cannot get that to work, using the PC labled as "PC" on HDMI 1 and Game mode turned on with FS to either basic or ultimate. I am using this cable https://www.costco.com/WireLogic-12-Feet-Sapphire-HDMI-Cable,-2-pack.product.100376910.html

This is with an RX 550 4GB with 19.5.1 and the AMD control panel shows FS active using Win10 Pro 1809 fully updated.

IF you ha e the 55" and larger you need to hunt for the specific switch "cant remember now off the top of my head" under the general settings".. yes I know its dumb and should somewhere else in the menu.. HDR or whatever it's called for the certain input your using.

When you get that on you wont be able to select or change to game mode.

You need to go into SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER -> HDMI UHD COLOR .... once here, enable whatever HDMI port you're PC is on, 1 or 2, etc.

Once you do this, 1440p 120hz / 100hz and 120hz 1200p / 100hz and 120hz 1080p will show up.

You need to go into SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER -> HDMI UHD COLOR .... once here, enable whatever HDMI port you're PC is on, 1 or 2, etc.

Once you do this, 1440p 120hz / 100hz and 120hz 1200p / 100hz and 120hz 1080p will show up.

Thanks! There is the right info!

Buy that man a 6 pack hehe

Thanks! There is the right info!

Buy that man a 6 pack hehe

Yeeeeah, I tried that. It is greyed out and says it isn't available. Windows says HDR is enabled and I watched a stunning 4kp60 HDR vid with only a bit of studdering (that ancient CPU just isn't up to the task since I was seeing 100% spikes on all 4 cores.

Next idea?

Yeeeeah, I tried that. It is greyed out and says it isn't available. Windows says HDR is enabled and I watched a stubbing 4kp60 HDR vid with only a bit of studdering (that ancient CPU just isn't up to the task since I was seeing 100% spikes on all 4 cores.

Next idea?
This is what I see. The PC is on, you can see it behind the menu, but see how hDMI 1 is like half green? When I try to enable it I get "this function is not available".
IMG_20190522_153850.jpg

Do you guys have your PC's HDMI port "labeled"? If so, is it something other then. "PC"?

I would put my other air cooled VII in the system to rule out the RX 550, but I had minor spine surgery Monday and can barely get off the couch, let alone. Crouch down on the floor.
Plus I hate the stupid plastic "speed clips" CoolerMaster created with the HAF932 Advanced and X. It makes it almost impossible without a 3rd hand to screw down a heavy dual slot card.

Lastly, I am considering re arranging my living room, and would need a good 25-30 ft HDMI cable to do so without moving to my main water cooled system (despite my biocide preventive maintenance I do not want my system in view of direct sunlight). Can anyone recommend one that isn't $100?

Last edited:
ok, I got it working...I had to disable HDMI link assurance, reboot, and then re-enable it. Then I was able to do exactly what SixFootDuo recommended and I had all the options...But I HAVE to ASK: DO ANY OF YOU USE YOUR DESKTOP @ 120Hz for web/general useage?

If you do, how is your vision? I am sitting 9ft away from my 65" and any text is so blurry and terrible looking like it is some crappy 4:0:0 on the chroma sub settings. I mean super blurry and headache inducing. I checked my settings, and it was set to 4:4:4 RGB Full, but YCbCr 4:4:4 looked just as bad. I took two photos, the first @ 1080P/120 (100% scaling) from 9ft away using my Pixel XL, then moved to ~4ft away to simulate where those of you that use a desk would be on the 55s"...Both look like total ass on the desktop in EVERYTHING!

I REALLY
wanted to use 1080P 120hz from the couch for everything but movies as 120Hz is amaze balls vs even the old 80Hz I was using and this is killing my dreams. I spent the extra money on the 65" just so it would be large enough that I would need no scaling (i only use 200% @ 4K, but can read fine if I concentrate with no scaling since I have 20/10 and 20/15 vision)...

Here is a link to the Google drive so you can see the photos in full size: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TA4qQji9RXmbjmd18

ok, I got it working...I had to disable HDMI link assurance, reboot, and then re-enable it. Then I was able to do exactly what SixFootDuo recommended and I had all the options...But I HAVE to ASK: DO ANY OF YOU USE YOUR DESKTOP @ 120Hz for web/general useage?

If you do, how is your vision? I am sitting 9ft away from my 65" and any text is so blurry and terrible looking like it is some crappy 4:0:0 on the chroma sub settings. I mean super blurry and headache inducing. I checked my settings, and it was set to 4:4:4 RGB Full, but YCbCr 4:4:4 looked just as bad. I took two photos, the first @ 1080P/120 (100% scaling) from 9ft away using my Pixel XL, then moved to ~4ft away to simulate where those of you that use a desk would be on the 55s"...Both look like total ass on the desktop in EVERYTHING!

I REALLY
wanted to use 1080P 120hz from the couch for everything but movies as 120Hz is amaze balls vs even the old 80Hz I was using and this is killing my dreams. I spent the extra money on the 65" just so it would be large enough that I would need no scaling (i only use 200% @ 4K, but can read fine if I concentrate with no scaling since I have 20/10 and 20/15 vision)...

Here is a link to the Google drive so you can see the photos in full size: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TA4qQji9RXmbjmd18

***I just realized that the phot in my previous post shows what 4K 200% scaling looks like (from 9ft) since I goofed and had not switched it 1080P res yet. The difference is like comparing a crappy first gen VGA 1024p LCD to a modern digital panel.****

From the pic the text looks clear to me.

Maybe go into windows and setup clear view I think called.. that's where it calibrates text.

I'm prob eont on the name.. not at my pc.

I dont use it for the pc. Did at first try out a 55" for desktop when I went and upgraded my sons gaming screen from the 55 to a 65.

It was way to close at like 3 and a half feet. Could not move the desk away from the wall enough. Returned the 55".

I also use an older samsung 40 inch 4k screen as a secondary to my 34" 120hz ultra wide.

Yeah no idea on the hdmi cable.. I've always heard not to use over a 10 foot hdmi cable.. you'll have to hunt around for that and see if others can get 4k to work for that length.. maybe a powered hub or something.

From the pic the text looks clear to me.

Maybe go into windows and setup clear view I think called.. that's where it calibrates text.

I'm prob eont on the name.. not at my pc.

I dont use it for the pc. Did at first try out a 55" for desktop when I went and upgraded my sons gaming screen from the 55 to a 65.

It was way to close at like 3 and a half feet. Could not move the desk away from the wall enough. Returned the 55".

I also use an older samsung 40 inch 4k screen as a secondary to my 34" 120hz ultra wide.

Thanks for looking, but I guess the picture doesn't do it justice. Perhaps Google's AI imagery magic really is that good.

I showed it to several other people in person just a bit ago and 2 were getting a headache within 15 mins.

Just really sucks since I purchased this instead of a high end FreeSync 2 1440p/UW display since it offered the best of both works. 4k real estate when needed, and high speed fluid gaming.

As far as using an HDMI cable longer then 10ft, I've been doing that since HDMI came out. I've used up to a 45' passive cable with no issues. You just need a cable that uses 24-26AWG long strand copper to ensure the signal remains uncorruptible.

You can go much longer with an Active Cable, but the better option is Hdmi over Ethernet. You can run hundred of feet that way .

I just looked at your photos ... whoever this is ... something is wrong. It shouldn't look like that.

You need a quality HDMI cable. AWG of at least 18.

Also, you need to turn sharpening up or down, guessing .. DOWN ... some guys run this at 50% or some high number, don't ... 5 sharpening an no more.

You also nee to play around with PC / Console port lables on top of game motion plus, etc etc.

That doesn't mean that you can continue to do that.

I simply was stating a fact based on my previous experience. Also have a good friend that builds out 100k+ home theater rooms and they regularly use HDMI cables longer then what I mentioned. They use CAT6 runs for 4/8k runs now (for longer runs). I am using a 12ft cable that is claimed to be certified to over 18Gbps with hundreds of good reviews on Costco.com.

This all being said, I said I am openly looking for a new cable and asked for opinions on it. I can relocate the system if I need to, just preferred to keep it out of the light. I do changes every 6 months so it should not be an issue.

I just looked at your photos ... whoever this is ... something is wrong. It shouldn't look like that.

You need a quality HDMI cable. AWG of at least 18.

Also, you need to turn sharpening up or down, guessing .. DOWN ... some guys run this at 50% or some high number, don't ... 5 sharpening an no more.

You also nee to play around with PC / Console port lables on top of game motion plus, etc etc.

I have Sharpness turned to 0 on every input,and verfiied that it is off. I'm glad that someone else sees that something is wrong. Its a STUNNING display at 4K using Rtings.com recommended "movie" settings which is what I am using.

I will go through the literally painful experience of pulling that RX550 out, DDU'ing and reinstalling 19.5.1 with my Radeon VII and see if that fixes the issue before I go buy a new cable.

Locally I just have Coscto and WM and overpriced Staples to source a new cable. WM has some Monster cable branded ones, but their best cable is only 24AWG IRRC when I was in there a few days ago.

If that photo you posted is your display at 1440P then that gives me hope since it looks great from the photo.

EDIT: I wanted tocclarifysomething. You mentioned Game Motion, which I havet turned off. This setting just uses Motion Interpolation to convert 24-30fps media to higher FPS. This is what is called the "Soap Opera Effect". This should raise input lag/response time due to the processing required which is a big negative.

Why you would use this witha panel that has a native120Hz refresh rate for games is baffling to me(unless you just use it for movies/tv?). With the motion stuff turned off completely, I see little to no blurring, and my wife who wears mild glasses sees none either. The insanely fast panel is the reason I purchased the unit in the first place.

Last edited:
I simply was stating a fact based on my previous experience.

When you say something along the lines of 'I've always done this and this is how I'm doing it right now', you imply 'it should continue to work'. That implication is what I'm responding to, specifically as you're moving to higher signal quality needs, as it eliminates perhaps the most important variable from consideration.

You do need a better cable, especially when exceeding 2m / 6.6ft :).

Why you would use this witha panel that has a native120Hz refresh rate for games is baffling to me(unless you just use it for movies/tv?).

For gaming, you'd mostly not want to use it unless the gaming signal were not 120Hz. For stuff like consoles though, if lag could be minimized, it can help, though generally you'd want to just stick with variable v-sync and be done.

When you say something along the lines of 'I've always done this and this is how I'm doing it right now', you imply 'it should continue to work'. That implication is what I'm responding to, specifically as you're moving to higher signal quality needs, as it eliminates perhaps the most important variable from consideration.

You do need a better cable, especially when exceeding 2m / 6.6ft :).

For gaming, you'd mostly not want to use it unless the gaming signal were not 120Hz. For stuff like consoles though, if lag could be minimized, it can help, though generally you'd want to just stick with variable v-sync and be done.

Yeah I do think anyone would want to use it ever, even on a non VRR console, UNLESS it works by subbing black frames like some mid/high end gaming monitors do. That would make 30fps and even 60fps content way more enjoyable.

If it uses the old skool traditional way of duplicating frames to "smooth" things out, that would be barf inducing. It also breaks immersion as NPCs do not "walk/run" naturally but "shuffle" like they are in the mist of a stroke.

As far as the wording confusion earlier, I get it. But 18Gbps or higher cables (that are tested and guaranteed to meet or exceed 18) is perfectly fine for 4kp60 HDR content.

Im finally messing around with my second tv with my gtx 1080, and i for the life of me cannot get it to run at 2560x1440 at 120hz. I can get it to do 1080p at 120hz and 4k60, but for some reason my 1080 does not see 2560x1440 as a pc resolution like mt 2080 ti. Any advice?

Im finally messing around with my second tv with my gtx 1080, and i for the life of me cannot get it to run at 2560x1440 at 120hz. I can get it to do 1080p at 120hz and 4k60, but for some reason my 1080 does not see 2560x1440 as a pc resolution like mt 2080 ti. Any advice?

Have you tried setting a custom resolution?

-Open Nvidia Control Panel
-Change resolution (on left under display)
-Customize (below the resolution list)
-Create custom resolution
-Set horizontal pixels to 2560, vertical to 1440, refresh to 120.
-Make sure the timings update, sometimes I have to change the timing standard from automatic to something else and back, then you should see the necessary new timings fill themselves in.

hit test and see if it works..

Damn :\.. Hopefully somebody who owns one of the bigger screens can chime in. I bought the 49" model which as it turned out did not support 120hz.

I have the 55" RU8000. 1440p @ 120hz works when on a 1080ti, but only 60hz when I'm using my lenovo y510 (750m). Guess its the HDMI version..

Yeah works fine on my 2080 ti just not on my gtx 1080 seems odd though all 10 series claim hdmi 2.0b

Some interesting newer options out there at this point.

The new Samsung TV's (Q90 series) seem to support 1440p @ 120hz (but not in 4:4:4) which is similar to the one recommended here. It also now natively supports 4K @ 120hz even without an HDMI 2.1 device present.

The C9 OLED range natively supports 1440p @ 120hz with 4:4:4 color and will support 4K @ 120hz with VRR with future HDMI 2.1 devices.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Some interesting newer options out there at this point.

The new Samsung TV's (Q90 series) seem to support 1440p @ 120hz (but not in 4:4:4) which is similar to the one recommended here. It also now natively supports 4K @ 120hz even without an HDMI 2.1 device present.

The C9 OLED range natively supports 1440p @ 120hz with 4:4:4 color and will support 4K @ 120hz with VRR with future HDMI 2.1 devices.

Are you saying that the NU8000 doesn't do 1440P@120hz 4:4:4? Mine works fine, but I have only tested it with AMD cards.

Are you saying that the NU8000 doesn't do 1440P@120hz 4:4:4? Mine works fine, but I have only tested it with AMD cards.

I don't personally have it so I was basing it off of rtings comments and some posts I have read. Owner's like yourself would certainly know better.

Link
Most common resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color is only supported when 'HDMI UHD Color' is enabled (aka HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth). New this year is 1080p @ 120 Hz @ 4:4:4 support, which is useful when using the TV as a PC monitor. 1440p @ 120 Hz is also supported, but 4:4:4 color isn't displayed properly. Oddly enough, 1440p @ 60 Hz isn't supported, not even when using a custom resolution from a PC.

4:4:4 chroma subsampling is only shown properly when the input's icon is set to 'PC' (aka PC mode). This unfortunately isn't possible for some input refresh rates such as 24 Hz; in these cases the icon changes to PC as normal but PC mode isn't applied, as evidenced by the improper 4:4:4 color resolution and some settings not being greyed out as they should be.

Is that information out of date or are they saying you can display it correctly in PC mode? It is certainly possible that it was fixed with firmware, but they also made the same comment about the new Q90 series with similar wording.

Here are some other sources with conflicting information as well:
Looking for tv/pc monitor. 4:4:4 chroma, 1440p 120hz, 40-43”
Samsung NU8000, PC, 1440p colors

I have the NU8000 .... best display I've ever owned and I've owned a ton of displays.

If it's 4:4:4 or not, there is no red / blue pixel bleed. It looks pixel razor sharp.

Trust me, 40 years of gaming, 30 years of building PC's .... my 2080 ti ... my Intel 9900k @ 5ghz across all cores, my Samsung NU8000 @ 120hz @ 1440p @ 8ms input lag .... is the best gaming experience you could ever possible have.

Ultra settings any game, 120+ FPS ....

I have the NU8000 .... best display I've ever owned and I've owned a ton of displays.

If it's 4:4:4 or not, there is no red / blue pixel bleed. It looks pixel razor sharp.

Trust me, 40 years of gaming, 30 years of building PC's .... my 2080 ti ... my Intel 9900k @ 5ghz across all cores, my Samsung NU8000 @ 120hz @ 1440p @ 8ms input lag .... is the best gaming experience you could ever possible have.

Ultra settings any game, 120+ FPS ....

I appreciate the enthusiasm. I am just surprised that no one posted pictures of the infamous chroma subsampling test at various resolutions.

https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2017/chroma-444.png

Back