HOT: Samsung 2018 55" "BFGD" 120hz @ 1440p with HDR CHEAP @ 799.99 or, Open Box $679 Best Buy ht

Only TVs you need to worry about burn-in with are OLED, plasma and the DLP TVs. Plasma and DLP haven't been produced for years

DLP? got that one wrong! No worries at all on the DLP screen. No chance for burn in on that.. I still own one and had 3 in the past. My father still uses my old 61" DLP.

Burn-in or ( image retention ) is a lot less likely on LED panels.

However, accord to Samsung as of a 2018 posting on the companies website, they still warn consumers it's possible after long periods of time. I think they are just covering their asses however. It's extremely rare to see consumers complain about image retention these days.

https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/tv-audio-video/are-led-tvs-subject-to-burn-in/

Edge lit is pretty safe, all the light comes from around the edges of the panel. It's impossible to burn in an image one would think.

Array led and zoned array led which is led lighting directly behind the panel doesn't have any burn-in effect either just by the nature of the technology. However, I am not an expect. I know that higher end sets have what they call led zones. And only those zones are lit under certain lighting requirements / conditions, etc. Basically, again, the chance of this happening has been greatly reduced as tech has improved and moved on thru the years.

Image retention and ghosting / smearing is moving toward technological extinction.

Should probably clarify a touch in the OP. The way it's implied here that "it works with Nvidia cards", most everyone will interpret that as some form of variable refresh rate will work.

I hope when eventually nvidia does support VRR over HDMI like one would assume with HDMI 2.1 (4k@120Hz and VRR are the standouts of it), maybe then it will work on these 2.0a displays. It's still more a hope, that someone who knows more might be better inclined to guess. Like when it eventually is supported on 2.1, does the handshake have both items say "hey I'm HDMI 2.1", or both "like hey VRR is supported, and this and this etc"????... hmm.

I personally am looking into a 75" Q9FN for the man cave (basement), and running a cable over the ceiling from the gaming rig to a port in the wall behind the TV for when the mood strikes. The Q series are quantom dot displays, and Q8FN and Q9FN are FALD displays as there defining characteristics ( Full array backlit with 40 v 400 zones respectively!). Thinking about getting one versus waiting for a C9 OLED which will have VRR and such with HDMI 2.1. I thought about getting the NU8000 until then, which still has the same VRR abilities as the Q's on HDMI 2.0a. I realize these others are all expensive and almost another topic, just clarifying they're not half priced Q's. A 43" Sony x800D is my desk 4k unit. Sadly no uber Hz, but otherwise capable.

Last edited:
No McAfee?...no buy.
/s

This looks amazing, I'm going to have to look more online for what I need to drive this thing well.

Thanks for the info Duo and others. This is intriguing for sure.

No McAfee?...no buy.
/s

This looks amazing, I'm going to have to look more online for what I need to drive this thing well.

Thanks for the info Duo and others. This is intriguing for sure.

You just need to buy my NIB sealed SAPPHIRE RADEON VII

I went from a 24" HP omen 144hz to a P65F1 vizio 65" 4k 120hz. To get true 120hz i have to lower resolution 1920x1080 but it looks pretty good from a distance of 7-8ft. really jealous of the folks that have these samsungs

I've just boxed up the 55 inch. $800 is a waste for me using it as a pc monitor over the AW 34" ultra wide. Cant get 4 feet away anyways. Best I can do is 3' :/

Anyways back to the store and revisit next year when 4k 120hz hit or taller ultra wide screens.

I love my samsung 75" with freesync/ VRR everything's smooth,

Running xbox one x with 2tb sshd, fresh thermal paste.

Running Radeon VII in PC

Really I didn't like big screen, it grew on me, now I play xbox/PC on Couch/Chair lol.

I'm loving my setups, I'm loving new setup and gaming experience forever for me.

If I need get other t.v, I'm waiting for all goodies 4k 120hz, and so on

I love my samsung 75" with freesync/ VRR everything's smooth,

Running xbox one x with 2tb sshd, fresh thermal paste.

Running Radeon VII in PC

Really I didn't like big screen, it grew on me, now I play xbox/PC on Couch/Chair lol.

I'm loving my setups, I'm loving new setup and gaming experience forever for me.

If I need get other t.v, I'm waiting for all goodies 4k 120hz, and so on

Awesome to hear. This is the true definition of what a BFGD should have been from the very start .... not what nVidia is trying to sell us. They want to sell you complete and total greed @ $4,400 with tax.

I am still curious why running 1080p with higher settings (or much closer to 120fps all the time) and using the upscaling isn't a better option then 1440p. 1080P scales perfect since it's a 1 to 4 pixel upscale. You could even run higher I Q setting and still have higher FPS in most games.

I plan on having my VII @ 2-2.1GHz depending on which one clocks better so that should give me plenty @ 1080P (toward hitting that 120 or as close as possible).

Here is the real dilemma:. I can get the 65" at Costco for $929…..I almost bought it today, but then I saw they dropped the price on the Q65F down to $1149. Both come with free 3 yr extended ST warranty.

What to do?

This is currently back on sale for $799 until March the 9th at closing time. Also, some locations have open boxes for $679 or so.

This is currently back on sale for $799 until March the 9th at closing time. Also, some locations have open boxes for $679 or so.

At 65", would you get the 8K for $929, or go to the Q65F for 1149? It will be my main living room tv (small room) power by my sig rig (but with updated RADEON VIIs vs the VEGAs).

Awesome to hear. This is the true definition of what a BFGD should have been from the very start .... not what nVidia is trying to sell us. They want to sell you complete and total greed @ $4,400 with tax.
Wouldn't call it garbage. Seriously over priced but not garbage.

Burn-in or ( image retention ) is a lot less likely on LED panels.

However, accord to Samsung as of a 2018 posting on the companies website, they still warn consumers it's possible after long periods of time. I think they are just covering their asses however. It's extremely rare to see consumers complain about image retention these days.

https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/tv-audio-video/are-led-tvs-subject-to-burn-in/

Edge lit is pretty safe, all the light comes from around the edges of the panel. It's impossible to burn in an image one would think.

Array led and zoned array led which is led lighting directly behind the panel doesn't have any burn-in effect either just by the nature of the technology. However, I am not an expect. I know that higher end sets have what they call led zones. And only those zones are lit under certain lighting requirements / conditions, etc. Basically, again, the chance of this happening has been greatly reduced as tech has improved and moved on thru the years.

Image retention and ghosting / smearing is moving toward technological extinction.

I am sure I am one of the outliers, but part of my reason to upgrade to the q6fn was my Samsung ku6300 was getting image retention. Was really wierd, I could see my desktop icons burned into the screen when warm colors like red and orange were solid on the screen.

I am sure I am one of the outliers, but part of my reason to upgrade to the q6fn was my Samsung ku6300 was getting image retention. Was really wierd, I could see my desktop icons burned into the screen when warm colors like red and orange were solid on the screen.

That sucks. How do you like the new set? Are you using it as a 1080p/120 or 1440/120 for games? Again,. I have gotten silence about this but math says the 1080P should look better thanks to the scaling ratio.

1440p looks great on my set. 1080p just doesn't work for me personally. Maybe if I were 10' away it would be ok. For a desktop resolution, 4+ feet away, it just doesn't

I'm really hoping they add a DP port to the 2019 Samsungs. That would be amazing but it's also in nVidia's best interest to add their new VBR driver functionality to HDMI.

The Alienware 55" monitor will have DP, but it'll be noooowhere near this price. I just don't see it coming to TVs if it hasn't by now. My hope is that nVidia will add VRR support to HDMI unless there's a technical reason why they can't. It would open up so many options.

That sucks. How do you like the new set? Are you using it as a 1080p/120 or 1440/120 for games? Again,. I have gotten silence about this but math says the 1080P should look better thanks to the scaling ratio.

I run sli 1080tis so 4k@60hz for most games, 1440p@120hz for anything twitchy or shooty.

It's absolutely a game changer and one of the most bang for your buck improvements to your gaming experience provided your rig is beefy enough to drive it.

A great example is a game like Diablo 3, on a regular display your character is tiny on the screen so you end up feeling more detached from the experience, with this display you can see every little detail, spell effects pop and are more powerful looking. With the 800nits of brightness highlights and colors are so vibrant and real looking.

The difference is like going from looking through a dirty screen door to an open window.

Also 1440p still looks better than 1080p despite the not perfect pixel alignment..

Last edited:
Any chance of a 4770k and Vega56 running this @1440p 120hz?

What to pull the trigger, but dont want to upgrade until the new ryzen cpu's and graphics cards release.

Any chance of a 4770k and Vega56 running this @1440p 120hz?

What to pull the trigger, but dont want to upgrade until the new ryzen cpu's and graphics cards release.

If you run lower settings sure. It has fReeSync, which is the beauty of this set...If you use 1080P, it has an insane FS range, like 20~120hz. I have a V56 (that was a golden card for sale actually) that could run 1440P maxed in a ton of games. Was on a par with a 1080. If I had not gotten some VIIs, I would still be using a pair of 56s.

I was considering the 82' myself, but the screen gets extremely high brightness due to subtitles ( its a bug, must disable dinamic brightness), also several units get electronic "cracking" noises (bad for reliability?)
Also the diference for the Q6F is like 200$, adding even more doubts for the deal.

Do you guys get cracking noises from behind the Tv?

I was considering the 82' myself, but the screen gets extremely high brightness due to subtitles ( its a bug, must disable dinamic brightness), also several units get electronic "cracking" noises (bad for reliability?)
Also the diference for the Q6F is like 200$, adding even more doubts for the deal.

Do you guys get cracking noises from behind the Tv?

Hell no!

Yeah I picked up my 75" nu8000 and it's been doing that, I think I'm going return it and get 55" / 65" or exchange for same nu8000 75"

I'm enjoying sitting back, but I miss chair lol, i have good setup on my couch, but I miss chair and desk.

Q6F 55" or even nu8000 55" let me do that, I did notice there's picture difference in Q series and NU8000 series.

Hell I paid 2300 for 75" extend warranty and tax, I wish I could get q8f for good price lol

Anyone using this as a desktop monitor? I am soo tempted but I would be gaming 3-4 feet away from the 55 inch...

Anyone using this as a desktop monitor? I am soo tempted but I would be gaming 3-4 feet away from the 55 inch...

I had Q7F 55" it was amazing, I was 2 1/2 feet away, amazing picture. Freesync,

Nu8000 55" or Q6F 55" would be awesome 3-4 feet away, supports 1080p 120hz or 1440p 120hz and 4k 60hz

Would probably be all over this if this tv's freesync worked with a Nvidia card

I had Q7F 55" it was amazing, I was 2 1/2 feet away, amazing picture. Freesync,

Nu8000 55" or Q6F 55" would be awesome 3-4 feet away, supports 1080p 120hz or 1440p 120hz and 4k 60hz

damn okay you are making it hard for me to say no.

So Costco has this model == Model UN55NU800DFXZA is that the same? If so then it is 779.00 there and you get a 3 year square trade for free.

So Costco has this model == Model UN55NU800DFXZA is that the same? If so then it is 779.00 there and you get a 3 year square trade for free.

I looked up model # on google and it shows bestbuy sells same model.

Any tv like this that supports freesync with a nvidia card?

Nope. Displayport was pretty short lived on TVs. Pretty sure Samsung is the only one that currently supports Freesync on their TVs (might be more coming this year, not sure though) and it is only via HDMI.

I posted a picture of it on my desk ... 4+ feet away ... it's a dream experience.

Completely and totally immersive experience with any content, web, YouTube, games and movies, etc.

I love it.

If you think about it, it's just basically 3 monitors on your desk, connected but WITHOUT bezels .... same difference.

Any tv like this that supports freesync with a nvidia card?

check out my pictures. I've shown how this works with nVidia at 1440p @ 120hz ... if you have a fast enough computer and GPU ( gaming wise ) you will never ever noticed any dropped / skipped or dubbed frames, not at 120 frames per second. Virtually impossible to tell. If you are trying to game at 1440p @ 120hz on a 1050 ti or possibly even a 1060 .... you're not going obviously get super high frame rates and so you might run into some issues. I dunno, I've never ran budget hardware so I cannot speak on that.

The good news is, this display supports 1080p @ 120hz, 100hz in one point increments ( I believe ) down to 60hz so you can fine tune this display to your systems capability.

There are also rumors that the new Samsung 2019 TV's that will be shipping in May or June could possibly have a DP. We will see. That would be a game changer if so. Remember, the new PS5 and Xbox are scheduled ( rumored ) to be shipping in 2020 .... This would put Samung in the drivers seat and ahead of the curve if they were to include DP for the console market and the PC market as well. It's to their advantage, especially with nVidia competing in their space with their BFGD here any day / month now.

DP on Samsung HDTV on 2019 Models only makes sense.

Back