[Hot] PowerColor HD 7870 MYST. Ed. 2GB + Bioshock & Tombraider - $209 (no rebate!)

These LE cards are hot right now. Every where I go they are out of stock.

Appears to be the same as the myst but with a slightly different cooler (maybe just fan shroud).

Just the shroud is different. Same cooler and PCB. I think they had some of the regular 7870 shrouds left over in a box somewhere.

These LE cards are hot right now. Every where I go they are out of stock.

The PowerColor card is in stock at Newegg right now, $239. I picked up one on Friday -- should be here by this coming Friday.

Amazon says they have 7 left in stock right now at $239 as well. They didn't have any in stock on Friday, or I would have ordered one from there instead.

I picked one up cheap and am super pleased. I stuck a H60 that I had lying around on one. Clocks at 1240 on the core, haven't played with memory yet. temps topping out at 50C. In BF3 I cannot tell the difference between this card overclocked and my old TF3 7950 overclocked.

The deal is sort of here again if you do MIR....205 with MRI +6 for shipping with games....
Link

The deal is sort of here again if you do MIR....205 with MRI +6 for shipping with games....
Link

I wonder what the difference is between the MYST and the EZ editions.

Either way, I went with the dual fan Sapphire one.

Deal is back. Saw this posted on Toms.

New Code: PWCHD7870

Brings it down to $209 again.

Free shipping, no MIR required.

Deal is back. Saw this posted on Toms.

New Code: PWCHD7870

Brings it down to $209 again.

Free shipping, no MIR required.

Newegg will not let me claim that code for the 7870 I bought last week, since I've already received it.

:(

Oh well, still paid $10 less than what Amazon wants for it.

I missed out last time, so thanks for the heads up. This is a sweet deal!

I really wanted the Sapphire 7870 XT with the dual fans. but the PowerColor is just to good of a deal to pass up.

Last edited:
I bought both the Myst version and the EZ version (both $209, EZ after rebate). They are basically identical. Myst version has metal fan shroud and copper heat pipes. EZ version has aluminum. The base plate for both coolers is copper though. They have identical temps.

I went ahead and put new thermal paste on them (Artic silver 5). And that seemed to help a bit, but nothing major.

Neither one would overclock until I updated to bios version 32. The myst version would constantly cycle from 500 to 925mhz unless Powertune was increased to +7. EZ version maintained stable 925 mhz. I had a lightly better impression about the EZ due to this. Neither one is quieter than other as far as I can tell.

Crossfire puts out a lot of heat. My cards would get up to 84 degrees C when pushed hard for 30 minutes.

I am worried about my X-fi titantium in slot 1 next to the top crossifre card. All that heat cant be good. I might end up selling the myst version, but I play with my fan setting for a week and see what works best to cool thing off.

Bottomline: unless you feel comfortable updating the bios and dealing with fan noise, I would wait for a good 7950 boost deal.

Crossfire puts out a lot of heat. My cards would get up to 84 degrees C when pushed hard for 30 minutes.

That is not true. This card puts out a lot of heat because Powercolor cooler sucks big time. If you bought a DirectCU, Twin Frozr ro Vapor-X version of any Nvidia or AMD card you would not have this problem. This is why this card is so cheap - insufficient cooling.

You may want to water cool it or install after market cooler if you can get a cheap one.

Actually if the cooler didn't put out any heat that would mean it sucked. The whole point of a cooler is to put out heat. Crossfire generates a lot of heat because it's converting 400-500 watts of electricity into thermal energy. The Myst cooler isn't great, but it works fine with adequate case cooling in a single card system. For Crossfire the Sapphire is probably better, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it is.

That is not true. This card puts out a lot of heat because Powercolor cooler sucks big time. If you bought a DirectCU, Twin Frozr ro Vapor-X version of any Nvidia or AMD card you would not have this problem. This is why this card is so cheap - insufficient cooling.

You may want to water cool it or install after market cooler if you can get a cheap one.

That doesn't make sense. It's putting out a lot of heat exactly because it's doing it's job properly. If it's not sufficient to dissippate the heat, the gpu would get too hot- maybe this is what you mean.

I have a pair of HD7950 Twin Frozr heavily overclocked in my Fractal Arc Midi at even at 60 percent the fans are whisper quiet with temps below 70 degrees. I am sorry but Myst provides inadequate cooling solution.

EOD

I have a pair of HD7950 Twin Frozr heavily overclocked in my Fractal Arc Midi at even at 60 percent the fans are whisper quiet with temps below 70 degrees. I am sorry but Myst provides inadequate cooling solution.

EOD

Because your anecdotal evidence proves everybody wrong. But whatever, I don't hear mine while playing BF3 so I can definitively say that you are wrong based on your argument.

The myst/EZ cooler can handle the heat, just not as well or quietly as larger more expensive coolers. Graphics chips can handle temps in the 80 degree range. 85-90 to seems to be the generally defined "danger" ranger.

I might move my Corsair H60 from the CPU to the top graphics card and use another cooler I have for the CPU. It seems like heat from the card in crossfire is what generates most of the heat.

Is this normal in a crossfire setup?

EOD

Wow. So if someone spends $110 more they can get a better cooler. That's awesome.

I bought one of the EZ from newegg and it went back the day I got it. Installed as a single GPU it would hit 90C in under 60 seconds, with the fan at 100% and very loud. A normal 7870, overclocked to 1100mhz (triple fan though) in the same case runs under 65C with 60% fan (basically silent).

I just picked up the EZ edition card, 1100/1600 was effortless at stock voltage, and runs between 65-70 under load with a custom profile. $205 after rebate, sold the game coupon for $55, so $150 for this card was an amazing deal.

I just picked up the EZ edition card, 1100/1600 was effortless at stock voltage, and runs between 65-70 under load with a custom profile. $205 after rebate, sold the game coupon for $55, so $150 for this card was an amazing deal.

well, I'm hoping the one I got was just bad since I told newegg I wanted to exchange it. We'll see what they do when it arrives back to them later this week.

well, I'm hoping the one I got was just bad since I told newegg I wanted to exchange it. We'll see what they do when it arrives back to them later this week.

I got no post after 2 weeks. Tried in other computers and it's just dead. I am going to get it replaced and sell the NIB one to just get my money back. I'm going to stick with green.

Even at 240 you can't really beat the value of this card. Unfortunately for me I could not get it to work properly in my gaming rig in my signature. Worked fine in another computer that my g/f uses but would lock my system up on this computer once the ATI drivers were installed, yet two other cards, XFX 6590 and Gigabyte 7950 worked fine in the same rig. Strange issue, but from what I hear most people don't have much trouble with the card. Powercolor wasn't really that helpful when it came to advice on fixing the issue but all in all I don't regret purchasing the card even though I had to return it. Newegg let me keep the games that came with it

Not working for me. I'll take it as a sign that I am better off without this card.

I just checked and it still works for me. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

This is what I get:
PWCHD7870 Discount From Promo Code -$31.20

Also make sure you are using the new code and not the one posted in the first page as they are different.

Not working for me. I'll take it as a sign that I am better off without this card.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I just placed an order for the MYST edition and applied the code, coming down with the final total of 208.79 for the card, with the 2-day Shoprunner shipping for me. Excellent deal over the Pitcairn 7870 at this price.

I have done extensive research on the 7870 for the last few hours, learning of the pros and cons of the card over the 7950, especially between the 7870 Pitcairns and Tahitis. The only things that concerns me regarding the PC 7870 MYST is the power draw at load and the fan itself being possibly 'loud' during load times.

Thanks for the new code, to whomever shared it.

Works for me, too bad I already bought this 660 a few months ago. Would have totally gotten in on this deal if I didn't.

I used PWCHD7850 and it cam to $208.something shipped. Has anyone upgraded the cooler on the MYST edition? I haven't received mine yet, but I am thinking about upgrading the cooler on it since I am not a fan of heat or noise.

They definitely run a little hot and loud.
85C after a few minutes of load on my top card.

I used PWCHD7850 and it cam to $208.something shipped. Has anyone upgraded the cooler on the MYST edition? I haven't received mine yet, but I am thinking about upgrading the cooler on it since I am not a fan of heat or noise.

I threw a H60 on mine. Tops out at 50C. 1240 core.

I threw a H60 on mine. Tops out at 50C. 1240 core.

An H60? Does the block line up with the original HSF holes or did you need an aftermarket kit? And what about memory and the rest of the components on the PCB?

I am also interested in putting an H60 on mine. Do you need a bracket or shim? Link?

How is the fan speed manipulated in this situation?

I have an H50 laying around that I would really like to put on my top card.
Is there any modification or special shim needed??

Back