Hot (?) Playstation Classic - 40$

I can't believe they released this thing without a dual shock controller.

Also, its funny these systems completely pretend that emulation doesn't exist.

I can't believe they released this thing without a dual shock controller.

Also, its funny these systems completely pretend that emulation doesn't exist.
Pretending emulation doesn't exist? They run emulators.

What's funny is people forgetting that most folks aren't [H] and can't be bothered to dick around with something to get it to work, which is why the nintendo systems sold. The fact that emulators exist has nothing to do with why the Sony system doesn't sell, it's just a piece of shit with a crappy game selection, and plagued with problems due to the ROMs used.

What's funny is people forgetting that most folks aren't [H] and can't be bothered to dick around with something to get it to work, which is why the nintendo systems sold. The fact that emulators exist has nothing to do with why the Sony system doesn't sell, it's just a piece of shit with a crappy game selection, and plagued with problems due to the ROMs used.

hey hey hey now.

just because they have crappy hardware and a bad selection of games most of which are PAL versions doesn't mean......wait, what else did you say?

:ROFLMAO:

thank goodness for the modding scene?

bought one for 79 cad 2 days ago.

the mods are easy as hell to use.

I heard about the ability to get into a hidden menu and change it from PAL to NTSC in order to speed the games up, but what mods are you talking about?

Raspberry pi is cheaper and runs smoother. And emulates many other things

So does the PS Classic, I have Retroarch on mine, it plays anything up to Nintendo 64, even all my Arcade games. Also, its about 3 times more powerful than the Raspberry Pi, it uses the same chip as the Amazon fire stick -100mhz.

Last edited:

literally make a usb stick with some files and then put it in the second controller port.

Yep, I have about 2500 games on mine, Anywhere from arcade to Playstation , SNES , NES , Genesis and others. Its a great little system.

Im currently using RetroBoot 0.4.1

Its funny, I recently picked up a few of these at Walmart, the store associate told me that it wasn't any good, I schooled him on how much this little guy can do and his jaw dropped. I doubt a whole lot of people even know either.

Last edited:
Raspberry pi is cheaper and runs smoother. And emulates many other things

Actually I think at the price its a pretty good alternative to the Rpi 3. Once you factor in the storage, case and controllers its a steal.
Not that I'd get one anyway.

Can you use a different USB controller with the homebrew? I feel like the lack of analog sticks really limits it to older ps1 games, and older system emulation. How can you play anything N64 with the original PS1 controller?

What was that reddit post that you linked to before (I think...I was in the car at the time)? I thought I saw something mentioned about a USB hub being needed.

Cant find it, but here is a post of one that is reported to work,

yai9PId.jpg

They are still working on OTG cable support for the PSC, after that, it will allow us to free up the 2nd player port.

But the above image shows it working off this one without having to be powered (which has been an issue since the system itself doesnt have enough power to power USB Hub)

I'm going to order this and see if it works. Will report back with findings :)

Last edited:
So does the PS Classic, I have Retroarch on mine, it plays anything up to Nintendo 64, even all my Arcade games. Also, its about 3 times more powerful than the Raspberry Pi, it uses the same chip as the Amazon fire stick -100mhz.
is it more powerful / better at N64 than an RPi? I find the RPi stutters a little too much to be enjoyable on N64 titles.....

Cant find it, but here is a post of one that is reported to work,

View attachment 141586

They are still working on OTG cable support for the PSC, after that, it will allow us to free up the 2nd player port.

But the above image shows it working off this one without having to be powered (which has been an issue since the system itself doesnt have enough power to power USB Hub)

I'm going to order this and see if it works. Will report back with findings :)

i bought the ONN one.

works great.

is it more powerful / better at N64 than an RPi? I find the RPi stutters a little too much to be enjoyable on N64 titles.....

I'll let Krenum speak to that, but if you watch the video that he posted, the guy plays Ridge Racer 64 and, while playable, the frame rate was definitely lower than the other systems and jumped around more. So while this might be more powerful than an R-Pi, it's still probably not the ideal way to play them.

Anyway, I just bit on the PS Classic, a PS4 DualShock wireless controller, and the 8Bitdo adapter. That's $120 that I didn't plan on spending today but I wanted the controller anyway and the system will be neat to mess around with and use in the bedroom when I'm away from the PC. Thanks Master_shake_ and Krenum and everyone else who posted info. I didn't know that this thing had progressed beyond a pile of garbage and at $40 I can justify giving it a shot as an extra toy much more easily than at the previous price point.

I'll continue to research this thing but if there's anything else I/we need to know to get the full enjoyment out of it, I'm all ears.

Depending on the game of course and which shader present you use (if you use them) I'm playing Mario 64 & Wrestlemania 2000 at 60fps on mine. Currently the only emulator for RetroArch on the PS classic is Mupen64, which I don't really like, but it'll do.

I'll let Krenum speak to that, but if you watch the video that he posted, the guy plays Ridge Racer 64 and, while playable, the frame rate was definitely lower than the other systems and jumped around more. So while this might be more powerful than an R-Pi, it's still probably not the ideal way to play them.

Anyway, I just bit on the PS Classic, a PS4 DualShock wireless controller, and the 8Bitdo adapter. That's $120 that I didn't plan on spending today but I wanted the controller anyway and the system will be neat to mess around with and use in the bedroom when I'm away from the PC. Thanks Master_shake_ and Krenum and everyone else who posted info. I didn't know that this thing had progressed beyond a pile of garbage and at $40 I can justify giving it a shot as an extra toy much more easily than at the previous price point.

I'll continue to research this thing but if there's anything else I/we need to know to get the full enjoyment out of it, I'm all ears.

Awesome man! Have fun :)

A word of warning though, if you decide to install Bleemsync, I hear that it adds files to the system that cannot be removed, which is why I use Retroboot, its a cut down version of Retroarch that doesn't modify the system & only emulates off of the USB Drive. I hear these files don't harm the console, but I would prefer the system not modified.

Its a long video but this guy was involved with Bleemsync 1.0 and doesn't support it because it was apparently rushed.

Anyways, stick with RetroArch/ RetroBoot current version is 0.4.1

Speaking of USB drives. I use those Sandisk USB 2.0 Cruzer drives, the red and black ones, they work very well.

You know, I'm kind of a retro gaming extremist(now the proud owner of a RHEA ODE) but I don't own any of the mini-consoles. In a weird way rather than it hitting my nostalgia button it feels like a fuckin slap in the face. It's like "here you pathetic millennial fag fuck, heres a shitty version of the console you had as a kid with a few of the games you had. oh and some shitty controllers...I guess." Its like a meth dealer giving you a hit while yanking it out of your mouth mid inhale and being like "get fucked bitch Im moving to Bama". The only thing I own as far as fake console consoles go is the Hyperkin retron 5. I know its still a shitty emulator, but it still feels at least like the right thing to do.

This is all very personal opinion but I'd also point out I dont think you get much in the way of scaling or shaders on these or even a rasbi. In the rasbis the only big drawback I found was its not beefy enough to run much passed a PSone and you cant run any kind of shaders or AA without taking a hit. Id rather emulate on a nvidia shield preferably.

Again its yall life I just say fuck Sony on this one. If I wanna play PSone I do it on a ShieldTV or hook my PSone up to my framemeister. You could give me a Playstation Classic for free and I'd still throw it in a closet and forget about it.

You know, I'm kind of a retro gaming extremist(now the proud owner of a RHEA ODE) but I don't own any of the mini-consoles. In a weird way rather than it hitting my nostalgia button it feels like a fuckin slap in the face. It's like "here you pathetic millennial fag fuck, heres a shitty version of the console you had as a kid with a few of the games you had. oh and some shitty controllers...I guess." Its like a meth dealer giving you a hit while yanking it out of your mouth mid inhale and being like "get fucked bitch Im moving to Bama". The only thing I own as far as fake console consoles go is the Hyperkin retron 5. I know its still a shitty emulator, but it still feels at least like the right thing to do.

This is all very personal opinion but I'd also point out I dont think you get much in the way of scaling or shaders on these or even a rasbi. In the rasbis the only big drawback I found was its not beefy enough to run much passed a PSone and you cant run any kind of shaders or AA without taking a hit. Id rather emulate on a nvidia shield preferably.

Again its yall life I just say fuck Sony on this one. If I wanna play PSone I do it on a ShieldTV or hook my PSone up to my framemeister. You could give me a Playstation Classic for free and I'd still throw it in a closet and forget about it.

always-with-the-negative-waves-moriarty-always-with-the-negative-waves.jpg

as for the shaders, yes, I can choose over a hundred of them on my PS classic with Retroarch, currently using an LCD one that emulates an old sony trinitron, looks great & doesn't hit framerates.

For $40 bucks, the emulation options can't be beat, sure I could do it on a Shield.....for 4 times the cost.

20+ years in IT, I can probably handle setting up emulation. But do I want to mess with that after working all day? No. I bought both Nintendo classic consoles for their glorious plug-and-play. May get the Sony since it's pretty cheap now.

20+ years in IT, I can probably handle setting up emulation. But do I want to mess with that after working all day? No. I bought both Nintendo classic consoles for their glorious plug-and-play. May get the Sony since it's pretty cheap now.

Not only that, rom licensing....I bought both SNES classic & NES classic & gave my 7 year old a love for mario.

Oh definitely. I've looked into the retropie thing, and sure I could definitely do it, I just don't want to. On the other hand, had the sony system been worth a shit and included a better game selection I'd have bought one. Even now with the mods, sure that's cool and all but... ain't nobody got time for that.

Oh definitely. I've looked into the retropie thing, and sure I could definitely do it, I just don't want to. On the other hand, had the sony system been worth a shit and included a better game selection I'd have bought one. Even now with the mods, sure that's cool and all but... ain't nobody got time for that.
The simplest mod now involves:
Dropping an image onto a USB Stick, and buying a 2 port USB splitter. Oh, and downloading some ROMs.

It's not the /best/ mod, but it's the easiest.

Back