HOT - Pioneer DVR-A06 $114.70 Retail

fx10000

Limp Gawd
Comp-U-Plus has a deal on the A06 Retail

$129.75 plus $14.95 for second day air shipping!!

If that wasn't good enough there is a $30 rebate!

Better hurry the offer ends 1/31/2004

Mine just arrived today......I ordered it Friday night.

Good deal. I bought the Memorex Dual-X (Pioneer DVR-106) for $99AR from Staples. I had to pay tax, but it was still a little cheaper (~$5-$6) than this deal.

The Memorex drive has a black faceplate, which I needed.

Was going to get in on this until I saw the A07 just came out. While not a hot deal the OEM version is selling for $199... so I think I'll just wait a wee bit longer. Then again if Pioneer releases a new firmware that'll let this drive (A06) record dual layers I'll be all over it like stink on shit. :D

Regards,
fastgeek

Compusa has this for $119 AR.

Fastgeek, I saw that thread also where a Japanese Company used A06 and burned on a dual layer DVD media. This is why im keeping this DVD burner instead of jumping on the PD burner for $80.00.

Originally posted by gene74
Fastgeek, I saw that thread also where a Japanese Company used A06 and burned on a dual layer DVD media. This is why im keeping this DVD burner instead of jumping on the PD burner for $80.00.
That was Pioneer at CES last week who demonstrated it (from AV Watch, translated via babelfish into mutated English):

* Demonstration of 2 layer record of DVD-R which used pioneer and A06

The booth of RWPPI

In 2003 October, the pioneer which succeeds in the development of 2 layer record technology of DVD-R does the demonstration which plays back the DVD-R disk of 2 layer which was drawn up with the booth of the same company, with the usual DVD player. In addition, RW products promotion initiative (RWPPI) with the booth, it displayed the drive whose 2 layer entry is possible, demonstrated to playback from entry.

As for the drive which is used for entry "DVR-A06" of the same company. You say that with same ones as the commercial item, by the fact that just the firmware is modified in individual ones, without remodelling mechanism and the like inside, 2 layer record is possible. Furthermore, 2 layer record is not decided yet with the forum, there is no schedule and the like of release of the firmware.

With demonstration the data of 100MB in the layer is written 0 and the layer 1 respectively. At that time, entry to of the layer 0 ending, when you look at the record aspect of the disk, just the data quantity color of the track/truck has changed. After that, entry to of the layer 1 ending, there is no change in the range of the track/truck which changes color. From this, the layer 0 repeating to 1, it is found that you write. Furthermore, recording rate has reached 2 times.

With demonstration drawing up 6 chapters. 1 - 3 in layer 0, 4 - 6 layer 1. By the fact that chapter is selected, it can look at the optional layer. Furthermore, as for the DVD-R disk of 2 layer which was drawn up, in the player of the pioneer usual DVD video in the same way viewing possibility. "In the player of the other manufacturer you do not verify to the fact that standard is not decided partly due,, but you say that it can play back with most players without problem,".

Originally posted by pxc
That was Pioneer at CES last week who demonstrated it (from AV Watch, translated via babelfish into mutated English):

Exactly. But until there's real world consumer proof that this is possible I'm going to be patient. Don't need one of these at the very second; but it's hard to resist a nice DVD burner for ~$100! :D

gene74 - Yes sir, chances are you and I saw the same article... the one pxc posted. Seems like good times & new tech are just around the bend. :)

Regards,
fastgeek

I bought the A06 for a friend and I bought the Plextor 708A for myself.

The plextor came to $210 shipped from the Egg at Christmas. 8X burning is more my style.

Then again I could have saved about $100, I realize now that when it comes to burning a few more minutes is not that bad to wait...

The majority of the time I am waiting for the rendering to finish when I am makeing a DVD. And that can take hours!!

Back