[Hot]ot|Deal gone wrong at TigerDirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidX

2[H]4U
A couple weeks ago I saw a great deal for Sony's CPD-G520P 21' Trinitron monitors. Normaly these things go for $799 brand new and here was a deal for them at $250 "recertified" which Tiger states is not used but items not accepted at the time of delivery and sent back to Sony. Anyway I orderd one to replace my perfectly fine 17' crisp Dell CRT not because of quality issues but because I just wanted a bigger one. Well my Sony came to today...............look at it...........
dsc00131.jpg
dsc00118.jpg
dsc00123.jpg
dsc00135.jpg

Nope your eyes do not decieve you the sons of bitches at TigerDirect sent me a 6 year old Nokia. I didnt even know Nokia made monitors before I opened the box. The last time I felt like this was when I was robbed in the middle of the street while people watched. I think I would have been less angry/pissed if they had sent me the box filled with air sealed dog sh!t. I called up them up after I calmed down as not to get brushed off and was told I would be getting a replacement and to wait for a call to schedual a pick up.

In anycase I left them a dissapointed reseller rating and decided to post this to warn everyone else of my bad experience. And if you check it carefully and you will see everytime a bad review is posted a good review not mentioning any product pops up. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1983-p1-s1-d1.html

I understand a company can make a mistake but how do you make such a obvious one and in any event they lied to me. They stated that this item would ship from Sony...what the hell would a Nokia monitor be doing in a Sony warehouse?...no way on hell this monitor came from Sony directly. From now on I will only deal with NewEgg, Amazon and big name stores with a e-tailer like CompUsa and Best buy. Never again!

I tend to stay away from tiger direct at all costs.

not only are their prices usually the suq, their shipping is too.

I've also read too many of these types of posts about tiger.

Originally posted by Sinster
They wont refund you? I would be getting the Post Office involved if they didn't. That is classified as mail fraud.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/GetWhatYouOrdered.htm

They said they will take it back but I am so damn weary after talking to the guy. I will wait the 2 days and see what comes of it and if nothing there was another poster at ResellerRatings.com that said to contact them if anyone wishes to join a class action suit about not getting what they paid for either...dealing with these same monitor's.

They didn't mix anything up, what probably happened was that someone bought the same monitor, took it out of the box, switched it with their old POS Nokia monitor and returned it to TigerDirect, then Tiger Direct sold the same monitor to you without ever even opening it... I've seen it happen before with other items, so i'd assume that's the case here as well. I'm sorry about your misfortune, i wish you luck getting it replaced, i'd be pissed as well :(

No offense but this isn't surprising coming from them. When I worked in a pc shop we had guy bring in a pc that was completely dead from them. They are shady bastards

I have only delt with them once, in a digital camera. I too had a hard time dealing with them, and cancelled my order. It took almost 2 weeks for them to refund my credit card, very annoying.

Reminds me of that time where some guy replaced a Radeon with a brick and returned it to CompUSA, only to fuck a legitimate costumer. I hate people/companies like this - it is unethical and just plain evil - maybe they don't realize that PEOPLE ARE HURT by their actions.

I understand a company can make a mistake but how do you make such a obvious one and in any event they lied to me. They stated that this item would ship from Sony...what the hell would a Nokia monitor be doing in a Sony warehouse?...no way on hell this monitor came from Sony directly. From now on I will only deal with NewEgg, Amazon and big name stores with a e-tailer like CompUsa and Best buy. Never again!

Reminds me of that time where some guy replaced a Radeon with a brick and returned it to CompUSA, only to fuck a legitimate costumer. I hate people/companies like this - it is unethical and just plain evil - maybe they don't realize that PEOPLE ARE HURT by their actions.

Maybe I'm de-sensitized to this type of thing because I encounter it a lot (I do phone/internet mail order sales) but it doesn't seem like that horrible of a thing to happen. I mean surely they are going to make up for the obvious accident. I highly doubt they're going to say "FU" or that they intentionally meant to hurt you. Companies lease out warehouse space so it arguably could have come direct from a Sony "warehouse".

I'm not trying to defend Tiger Direct by any means but I think people tend to over react and go to these drastic measures based on snapshot's of a transaction. Give them a chance to resolve the matter for you and then sound off...

_Siph

Originally posted by Siphilon
Maybe I'm de-sensitized to this type of thing because I encounter it a lot (I do phone/internet mail order sales) but it doesn't seem like that horrible of a thing to happen. I mean surely they are going to make up for the obvious accident. I highly doubt they're going to say "FU" or that they intentionally meant to hurt you. Companies lease out warehouse space so it arguably could have come direct from a Sony "warehouse".

I'm not trying to defend Tiger Direct by any means but I think people tend to over react and go to these drastic measures based on snapshot's of a transaction. Give them a chance to resolve the matter for you and then sound off...

_Siph

I intend of giving them a chance to make good. But the thing is that they said Sony would inspect and ship the monitor themselfs. This obviously did not happen. Thats not a good sign. I will wait and see but even if they come through I will never order from them again unless it like a $10 case fan which only they carry.

thats a nokia 445Xi!!! that is too sick, i would keep it cause tiger direct doenst know that they gave your a monitor 50 times better on accident.

Yeah, my office made the mistake of ordering several "refurbished" computers from Tiger Direct. They supposedly came directly from the eMachines warehouse. Well, strangely enough, 3 of them had the seals broken, meaning that the cases had been opened. When I tried to turn another one on it wouldn't even post. And yet another didn't have the OS installed on it. Yeah, I called up eMachines, and they said that it was Tiger Direct's problem. I called Tiger Direct and they wanted to pretend that they didn't even know who I was or that I had ever ordered from them. After a lot of arguing they finally agreed to take back the one that wouldn't boot up. This only happened after I threatened legal action. I was very angry because in the past the company I work for has made many large purchases from Tiger. Heh, not anymore. We only buy from Newegg now. If anyone from Tiger Direct is reading this, then let me say a big "Fuck You!" :mad:

Ugh, sorry to hear this.

I got in on this tigerdirect 21" sony deal as well, I ordered it near the end of December.... Well, its the 13th of January today and I still don't have the monitor, but last night they called me...yes they called me. They apparently could not fulfill my order for this monitor for whatever reason, they did offer me a 22" Viewsonic p220f though for the same price as the G520P and free shipping. Before they phoned me I had called them 3 times and left their tech support 2 emails. The third call was kind of funny, given that they will not be able to send me that monitor, I was told that they had 160 units of the g520p available for customers. Yeah right, thats why its been 18 days and the fucking thing hasn't shipped yet right? I accepted their offer though, but this post has me worried. I hope I get what they offered to replace it with, all I really want is a 21" with good picture quality and the ability to do 1600x1200@85hz.

Tigerdirect was never my first choice, but that sony deal was way too good to pass up, hopefully I don't get screwed :(

Another interesting tidbit, a friend of mine ordered the same monitor. He did recieve one, but it isn't a Sony, its some Elsa(yes apparently Elsa makes monitors...) thing, it is able to do pretty close to what the specs of the G520P state. The fact that both LiquidX and my friend both recieved product that aren't as advertised is extremely fishy however.

I would say that all this would make me leary of shopping at TD again, but they've already pretty much assured I never will, their shipping charges are absolutely outrageous.

The only time tiger direct is good is if you are a company and buy alot from them, at work we typically buy 25+ computers a month and they do everything to kiss our ass.

Originally posted by _Sin_
http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=511

the monitor is so much better that its over 100 bucks cheaper on this site. SCORE!143114

err......:eek:

His is a diffrent one. The one in the link is dsub that one is bnc. Bnc is better any how heh.
Personaly id hook that sucker up and give it a run It dont look like its ever been used from thoose pics. I had a 20 inch phillips from 95 that had a .22 pitch and could do 2048x res at 75 hz dual connectors dsub and bnc . If not for the fact it had been struck by lighting or if i could have found the part i needed id be useing that monitor right now instead of my samsung 19 inch.

@liquedx

Carefull on just freaking out because they sent you the wrong monitor you might just find out its better.

Every one makes such a big deal out of sony monitors but the dot pitch listed on your box there sucks .24 vs the one shown in the links .22. I think you may be the winning party in this paticular screw up :p

OT: Just try finding BNC connecters. I have searched every local Computer store. Even a few places online. My EIZO has BNC.

Tiger Direct has always been low on my opinion scale. I've never ordered from them, but have had a lot of people talk to me about how they got screwed over. Seems like alot of my dorm guys in college ordered something from them, and usually, each of them had something wrong with their order or the motherboard died after 3-4 months.

Always check resellerratings. 1 bad rating overweighs even 10 good ratings, as far as I'm concerned. And when you see a ton of bad ratings from lots of different people, you should realize there might be something fishy goin on.

If its too good to be true....its usually a ripoff :D

I have heard nothing but bad stuff about tigerdirect, I can't believe they go even that low to ship you something that isn't the same product as the box!

just thought I'd post my Tiger Direct Monitor Story here also.

I had been doing buisness with TigerDirect since 1995. I had never had an issue with them, but slowly started buying my parts from Newegg about two years ago. Heres

Just over two years ago I found a 19" IBM Trinitron monitor that was the exact same style as my 17" (Which is still one of the sharpest monitors I have seen). It was refurbished...but was marked at 140 bucks (Which was awesome for a 19"CRT two years ago...most refurbs were still around 400-500 bucks for pure flat CRTs). I made the order, and paid an extra hundred bucks to have it shipped freight instead of UPS because my local UPS likes to play soccer with my packages. About 4 days later, UPS knocks on my door...with something that might have resembled a box a few days ago. I opened it up with the UPS guy there, and found a shattered 19" KDS monitor. Not only was I pissed that UPS showed on my door step (I hate those bastards), but Tiger shipped UPS AFTER i paid extra to ship a different carrier...and they sent me a KDS...which UPS smashed. I was pissed....bigger than life.
After 3 phone calls, and threats of negative feedback on resellerraitings.com, they promised to give me a retail P202 21" IBM Trinitron monitor for the same price...but said I had to pay shipping. So after they refunded me the money from the first order, I made the second order again....paid the extra 100 bucks, AGAIN....and waited for the 21" to show up in 2 week via a semi trailer carrier. 4 days later, knock on my door....UPS again with a bigger retail IBM box. My wife says that she has never seen my face so red...I swear i was going to have a stroke. I opened the box, everything was fine and the monitor was beautiful....but I promptly got on the phone a 4th time and tore someone a new asshole verbally (same person I had been talking to the previous 2 calls). After about 30 minutes of screaming, I wound up with 150 bucks refunded to my CC.

So do the math:
140(monitor) + shipping(100) = 240
240 was refunded
140 was paid again + 100 shipping = 240 - 150(Bitch money) = 90 for a brand new IBM P202 21" Monitor Shipped

It pays to buy from Tiger, let them screw up...and then scream until you get what you paid for. The 50 bucks of retail was well deserved considering the headache I had to go through.

In closing, I will never buy anything from Tiger again...but they gave me a nice going away present! :)

Thats TigerDirect for you, no matter what they say this was no mistake. How they get away with it is that most people that deal with TD are people that don't know any better and would think that was the right monitor.

Its sad but its true, my advice is what you now already know: Don't deal with Tiger Direct ever, no matter how good the deal.

has anyone forwarded this link to Kyle?

I remember seeing in the Gen Hardware section that TigerDirect wants to advertise on the [H].

This might be worth letting him know about; I have no experience personally, but I've seen plenty of people get screwed by TD.

(I go to newegg, provantage, directron...but not TD)

hey man, i gotta say, online mailorders NEVER send old scratched boxes, it looks like they left it outside for a week or two. maybe someone switched the monitors? wat did tiger say when u called em?

anywho, a nokia monitor? that just made my day. :D

Originally posted by fowlrock
just thought I'd post my Tiger Direct Monitor Story here also.

I had been doing buisness with TigerDirect since 1995. I had never had an issue with them, but slowly started buying my parts from Newegg about two years ago. Heres

Just over two years ago I found a 19" IBM Trinitron monitor that was the exact same style as my 17" (Which is still one of the sharpest monitors I have seen). It was refurbished...but was marked at 140 bucks (Which was awesome for a 19"CRT two years ago...most refurbs were still around 400-500 bucks for pure flat CRTs). I made the order, and paid an extra hundred bucks to have it shipped freight instead of UPS because my local UPS likes to play soccer with my packages. About 4 days later, UPS knocks on my door...with something that might have resembled a box a few days ago. I opened it up with the UPS guy there, and found a shattered 19" KDS monitor. Not only was I pissed that UPS showed on my door step (I hate those bastards), but Tiger shipped UPS AFTER i paid extra to ship a different carrier...and they sent me a KDS...which UPS smashed. I was pissed....bigger than life.
After 3 phone calls, and threats of negative feedback on resellerraitings.com, they promised to give me a retail P202 21" IBM Trinitron monitor for the same price...but said I had to pay shipping. So after they refunded me the money from the first order, I made the second order again....paid the extra 100 bucks, AGAIN....and waited for the 21" to show up in 2 week via a semi trailer carrier. 4 days later, knock on my door....UPS again with a bigger retail IBM box. My wife says that she has never seen my face so red...I swear i was going to have a stroke. I opened the box, everything was fine and the monitor was beautiful....but I promptly got on the phone a 4th time and tore someone a new asshole verbally (same person I had been talking to the previous 2 calls). After about 30 minutes of screaming, I wound up with 150 bucks refunded to my CC.

So do the math:
140(monitor) + shipping(100) = 240
240 was refunded
140 was paid again + 100 shipping = 240 - 150(Bitch money) = 90 for a brand new IBM P202 21" Monitor Shipped

It pays to buy from Tiger, let them screw up...and then scream until you get what you paid for. The 50 bucks of retail was well deserved considering the headache I had to go through.

In closing, I will never buy anything from Tiger again...but they gave me a nice going away present! :)

Interesting theory. My friend can scream and tear someone on the phone apart like nothing. He gets stuff like this done all the time. Companies should be afraid to fuck up wtih him cause theyll end up giving him half the company :D

haha, i got one month free of internet cuz they turned it off for a few hours and i said i needed it ammediatly, if you catch the right person, they can make a ncie deal with you

I have a NOKIA 445 pro "21" inch that I bought during a dell fiasco, picked it up for $169 shipped 2 years ago. I love the monitor no complaints from me. View Sonic bought them up a while ago, you can go to http://www.viewsonic.com/support/crt_445pro.htm
and see the specs. I think yours might be the model after mine not to sure. Sorry to hear you didn't get what you wanted.

Oh almost forgot the one in the picture is the one I have

They have been giving me some big time run around again. which is futile to get into. It was so easy to place this order but now such a pain to correct with no one that seems that they genuinely want to help you even though I am trying me best to be very civil.

In anycase they offered me $70 off and no shipping on a replacement model "NEC/Mitsubishi DP2070-BK 22" 2048x1536 CRT Monitor Recertified monitor."

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=659666&Sku=N27-2212&CatId=172

The Sony a "Recertified" CPD-520P was cheaper at $250 and with shipping at a extended warrant came to $329 at the time of the original order. This new monitor which there sending me is price higher on there site at $399 "Recertified" but new according to newegg prices is cheaper than the Sony. In the end it will be $329 with no extended warranty.

These links are from neweggs site. You all think I should take this offer or tell them stuff it where the sun dont shine? Either way I will never do business with them again.

This is what I there sending me
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-002-012&catalog=19&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

This is what I was getting
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-006-011&catalog=19&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Yeah, I've got the 445XiPlus, and it's a gem.

I wouldn't have any trinitron over my Nokia.

Liquid,
Would you trust these fools to sell you anything that would be good? I think you will be unhappy in the long run with any monitor you get from them. Cancel the order and have them pickup what they sent you. My 2 cents.

Originally posted by mowerman
Liquid,
Would you trust these fools to sell you anything that would be good? I think you will be unhappy in the long run with any monitor you get from them. Cancel the order and have them pickup what they sent you. My 2 cents.

Yeah thats what I will be doing actually they shipped it already so I will be refusing it at the door. I was having such regrets after thinking it over I said the hell with it. Always take the long way if your not sure.:mad:

Well the 520p I have read many things on and has been the best CRT in many magazines since it came out and just this December with the end of the year wrap up I remember one still naming it as the best CRT you can get.
Also friends have it and I think its an awsome monitor.
I would bitch at them until I got that monitor, although I do have a friend who has that behemoth of a monitor the 22" NEC and that thing also looks awsome, but they basically both use the same technology, can't believe this guy bring his 22" NEC to every LAN party he goes to.
I would of kept it going until I got what I wanted and then never dealth with them ever again.

I lost out on the Sony deal too :) (Canada here btw).

They offered the viewsonic, but I declined. Doesn't have the same dot pitch, colour reproduction, or the dual inputs (or the res/refresh for that matter).

I should have yelled at em and got the 22" NEC monitor for the same price :p

Damn, I was so stoked about getting the 520p too... grrr...

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by Stanley Pain
I lost out on the Sony deal too :) (Canada here btw).

They offered the viewsonic, but I declined. Doesn't have the same dot pitch, colour reproduction, or the dual inputs (or the res/refresh for that matter).

Hehe, Canada as well, I accepted the viewsonic offer because it was actually about 80 cheaper they offered it to me for, I feel thats a fair price drop for something not quite as good. I looked on their site though, it appears they have a HP rebadged G520P which I should have asked for instead of the viewsonic...oh well.

I will never order from TD after hear all the crap I have heard, even if it's a smokin hot deal, screw them! Also, I hope [H] doesn't start advertising for them.

The sony is a great monitor. I have two of them. But it's not the sharpest. People have had some serious discussions about this in the past on the display forum. Good monitor but a few drawbacks (may need a line conditioner for a stable picture, etc.)

that sucks man. i hope you get your monitor. it may be worth it in the end for that 21 inch goodness

Ahh man that blows. Sorry to hear that. I just had my UPS experience fucking my comp up to hell. So I understand in a different manner.

But thanks for the heads up on TD. I'll be sure to never buy anything from them.

-Logiks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back