Pros
- Sleek.
- Sterile.
- Small.
- Apple?

Cons
- Overpriced for 1gb.
- No screen to display tracks.
- iTunes. (yes, there are ways around it though)
- Proprietary internal battery.
- Those clips break in 2 sec when you bend over to pick up something you dropped if they are latched on your pocket like it advertises.

I really like the nano and shuffle redesigns. And don't bash that shuffle clip until you hear some real-world opinions of it, it may not be so flimsy. And my original shuffle has proven to be pretty damn durable, I reckon these new ones will at least match that.

This doesn't belong here, however, as these aren't hot deals, just new hardware. Should be locked. :)

w1retap said:
So this is like a hot deal? :confused:

No.

Pros
- Sleek.
- Sterile.
- Small.
- Apple?

Cons
- Overpriced for 1gb.
- Those clips break in 2 sec when you bend over to pick up something you dropped if they are latched on your pocket like it advertises.

I'm sorry, but how do you know that the clip breaks in two seconds when the product hasn't even shipped yet?

the new nano is tight. Damn 8 gig flash memory, that rocks, a lot more durable than any microdrive mp3 player. Too bad I am poor and my 4gig creative muvo2 still works great after constant drops.

Konrad said:
I'm sorry, but how do you know that the clip breaks in two seconds when the product hasn't even shipped yet?
The sheer size.. and I've had clips similar on other devices. I don't have to explain it. Time will show. ;)

w1retap said:

No.

Pros
- Sleek.
- Sterile.
- Small.
- Apple?

Cons
- Overpriced for 1gb.

Why are you being so negative? I really don't understand... The Price of the 30 GB went down $50. I would say that's [H]ot in itself.

adamadekat said:
Why are you being so negative? I really don't understand... The Price of the 30 GB went down $50. I would say that's [H]ot in itself.

Yup. So did the Nano... You can also now get an 80gig ipod for $350.

I think the cheaper prices, and the fact that the nano got updated makes these worthy of being marked as a hot deal.

anyone see the SNL skit where they had 'Steve Jobs' come on to talk about the new iPods? It's coming true. :p

Not being negative, its just not a hot deal. I said the thing was sleek and small, what else could you want in an mp3 player?

I agree, it's neat. I think apple should be sued for making people use itunes in conjunction with their mp3 players. Death to itunes.

annaconda said:
It is not plastic any more, it is like a metal so it won't break.
Never say that about an electronic device.. especially if its the size of a match book.. lol.

InorganicMatter said:
$80 for 1GB? How in the hell is this hot?!? A "hot" price for 1GB is like, sub-$50.
No dude, its hot. Have you ever seen the price to upgrade to 2gb ram or more when you configure-to-order a mac pro? :p

$80 for a 1gb shuffle is perfectly reasonable considering the last gen shuffles were one of the best sounding flash players under $100. the other apples dap's may have been average with their sound quality, but the shuffle was arguably one of the best. if i remember correctly, the only other flash player that sounded just as good was the iaudio u2 and similar players and those were just as expensive as the shuffle.

I'm with the others that think it should at least come with a screen. For about the same price, you can find players with screens. I can't comment on the audio quality, because I've never listened to one, but iPods have never been known for having the best audio. It'd be a bit odd if their cheapest was the lone exception.

Personally, I think the big news yesterday was that at least some of the players will now support Gapless playback, though I've read some conflicting posts on how well it works (some say there's still a 20ms gap with MP3s, others say it's flawless).

w1retap said:

No.

Pros
- Sleek.
- Sterile.
- Small.
- Apple?

Cons
- Overpriced for 1gb.

Hold on: you say sleekness is an asset. Ok, thats reasonable. Then you list using a proprietary battery as a con. How can you have both of these? Clearly, a standard battery (i'm thinking AAA here) is not going to fit in a player of that size. So you cannot have both.

deathBOB said:
Hold on: you say sleekness is an asset. Ok, thats reasonable. Then you list using a proprietary battery as a con. How can you have both of these? Clearly, a standard battery (i'm thinking AAA here) is not going to fit in a player of that size. So you cannot have both.
You can have both. They just designed it the way they wanted to.

w1retap said:
You can have both. They just designed it the way they wanted to.

Don't most DAPs use non-standard Lion batteries? By non-standard, I mean they aren't AA, AAA, 9V etc.

I have a rio karma, and its battery is non-standard too. I also believe there are places wher eyou can buy aftermarket batteries for iPods, complete with whatever tools/instructions are required to to remove the old one and install the new one.

at $15.00 (give or take) they're less than a new battery for my cell phone (albeit harder to install ;) )

Pardon me, but how does a future reduction of a marketing agreement enforced retail price in ANY way qualify as a HOT DEAL.

I assumed that this forum was for the exception to the retail price. Something that I can go to today at a specific place to purchase an item for significantly less than most other places.

I'm annoyed at Apple since I just bought my daughter a NANO for her birthday last month and now a better one for the same money is available. :rolleyes:

I'm sure anyone who may have been contemplating a purchase in the near future appreciates the heads up!

Don

I have an old Shuffle with a great case. Not gonna buy a new one and try to find a case of equal quality.

DonDon said:
Pardon me, but how does a future reduction of a marketing agreement enforced retail price in ANY way qualify as a HOT DEAL.

I assumed that this forum was for the exception to the retail price. Something that I can go to today at a specific place to purchase an item for significantly less than most other places.
You are absoloutely correct. This is not a deal, and is not hot. Its nothing more than a plug for the new iPod, and should have been put in the Apple Products forum from the get-go.

Mods, can we get a move?

this thing should have great battery life, seeing as there's no LCD to draw power from the battery.
but 1gb just isn't enough for my 3000 songs.

InorganicMatter said:
That's what I'm talking about. 2GB, videos, pictures, and waaaay more codecs for $200. That's hot.

So for $50 more than a 2GB nano you get ... a smaller nano.

nilepez said:
I'm with the others that think it should at least come with a screen. For about the same price, you can find players with screens. I can't comment on the audio quality, because I've never listened to one, but iPods have never been known for having the best audio. It'd be a bit odd if their cheapest was the lone exception.

Personally, I think the big news yesterday was that at least some of the players will now support Gapless playback, though I've read some conflicting posts on how well it works (some say there's still a 20ms gap with MP3s, others say it's flawless).

Yeah, so it might be a bit odd if the cheapest was the exception, but it is. If you go to audio forums - like, say www.head-fi.org - and look around, the shuffle is considered to be the cream of the crop when it comes to flash players as far as audio quality is concerned.

As for all of you that get on the case of 1GB not being enough, etc... flash players clearly aren't for you. Flash-based players are for people who want superb portability and durability - like myself, who puts his 512MB shuffle in an armband and goes biking, and NEVER has to worry about it. And since I'm biking with it, I don't need to find that specific song, so I don't need a screen. I love my 512MB shuffle, even with my 60GB music collection.

ElektronikSeraph said:
So for $50 more than a 2GB nano you get ... a smaller nano.
I'm not going to start an iPod versus everything else discussion here....but I must point out that $50 more is hella cheap for pictures, video, and a 2.2" screen. Last month, you would have payed $300+ for pictures, video, and an LCD.

That being said, this still isn't a hot deal.

Back