HOT: Netgear WNDR3700 $85 FS

This is a pretty decent deal, and a pretty great router. I only say decent because I paid $75 shipped from newegg a few weeks ago with one of their customer appreciation coupons. :D

I was lucky enough to get V2 of the WNDR3700, but I hear that V3 has it's share of problems (see reviews) so buyer beware: you may be rolling the dice on this one.

Thanks for the heads up on that Ryun, I was unaware. I just knew that this router has its fair share of love on these forums.

great deal at that price. i love mine, and if you want you can flash it to 3rd party firmware.

How does this compare to the WNDR3400? I just picked up a 3400 from Wal~Mart for this exact same price. The only differences I can see is that the 3700 has a 1 gig port and "video mode". I won't be using the gig port so that doesn't mean anything to me... But how well does the video mode work? If it's a pretty useful feature, I'll return the 3400 and pick up a 3700. Thank you!

I have a v2 that has run flawlessly. Two other friends have v1s and love theirs. I did have two other v1s that were horrible (though the second one for whatever reason runs fine now, go figure).

The WNDR3400 product page on newegg has a chart that compares the models if you scroll down. 3700 has better transmit power, Gigabit Ethernet instead of 10/100, faster USB access speeds, supports DLNA. Seems to be the differences according to their chart.

I was lucky enough to get V2 of the WNDR3700, but I hear that V3 has it's share of problems (see reviews) so buyer beware: you may be rolling the dice on this one.

Didn't really see anything bad about the v3. Not unless I missed it. Nice price tho.

I paid $200 for this router a couple years ago and I'm STILL happy I bought it. Never a single issue/dropout....not even once!

Aaaaand I bit, I guess I'll be making the trip to Wal~Mart to make a return. I want to give the dlna media server a try. I've seen some apps that make it possible to stream on your iPad, I wonder how well they work... Because that would be AWESOME.

Yep, its an excellent router. Mine is just plain always on, never problems, never complaints, always quality.

For $85, its a no brainer, its the best router you can get for that money.

pretty sure the 100-nas model of this is the v3 broadcom chipset, which isn't so hot.

Very good router.

I've been using this router for over a year, and while I dislike the low-end netgear routers, this is a pretty decent unit.

I bit, bought this from the egg and picked up a SB6120 modem from Amazon. Damn you people and making me spend money.

I bit, bought this from the egg and picked up a SB6120 modem from Amazon. Damn you people and making me spend money.

I've been running that same modem for about a year now. Awesome piece of hardware.

So what's great about it? Not doubting, just wanna know to decide to check it out or not.

Last edited:
So what's great about it? Not doubting, just wanna know to decide to check it out or not.

Honestly the only thing I've really messed with is forwarding and QoS. But everyone that talks about it raves stability and the like. My main draw to trying it was QoS. The system is much much better than the stock. You can set bandwidth limits, allocations, etc. Pretty verbose for such a basic router I think.

It also displays a lot more information and it's easy to navigate and understand. It will tell you where all your bandwidth is going, what's utilizing what. All the connections, etc.

You can always revert to stock if you don't like it. It just takes your already great router and makes it awesome.

and what is wrong with v3. Everyone says it is.. But doesn't tell why. And they probably wont say why. My guess is there is nothing wrong with it or people don't know.

Due to lack of DDWRT support... that is huge in many people's eyes. The WNDR3700 is one of the DDWRT greats for N routers... so it's a big deal that the V3 can't support it.

Due to lack of DDWRT support... that is huge in many people's eyes. The WNDR3700 is one of the DDWRT greats for N routers... so it's a big deal that the V3 can't support it.

I just want to know if there is something physically wrong with the v3 hardware.

I just want to know if there is something physically wrong with the v3 hardware.

Yeah bro. Like I said earlier in massive text, it uses a Broadcom chipset instead of Atheros.

Let me use a bad car analogy. It's like they're selling you a Chevy Aveo instead of a Corvette. Sure, they both "get you there." But only one gets you laid.

Yeah bro. Like I said earlier in massive text, it uses a Broadcom chipset instead of Atheros.

Let me use a bad car analogy. It's like they're selling you a Chevy Aveo instead of a Corvette. Sure, they both "get you there." But only one gets you laid.

Atheros has wifi dropping ssid issues thats why i ask. Since no one can answer this. I'm just going to assume its to new and no one knows. I'll wait a bit.

Atheros has wifi dropping ssid issues thats why i ask. Since no one can answer this. I'm just going to assume its to new and no one knows. I'll wait a bit.

Ah yes, I have definitely experienced the missing SSID issue from my Atheros 3700. It is lame. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm still happier with that issue and DD-WRT than I would be without that issue and no DD-WRT.

Ah yes, I have definitely experienced the missing SSID issue from my Atheros 3700. It is lame. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm still happier with that issue and DD-WRT than I would be without that issue and no DD-WRT.

Well DD-WRT doesn't really offer anything I need or want that the stock firmware cant do. Stability is all i care about. I don't want to restart a router every 2 weeks or a month to fix this issue. So if the broadcom chip doesn't have the driver issue. It is the router I want. But I think this router v3 is to new and no one knows yet. So I play the waiting game.

Just received mine from UPS. It is most definitely a version 3. I'm not really concerned with the lack of dd-wrt or tomato support as I didn't plan on flashing the router but one thing that does bother me is...
Newegg has the specs listed as having:

16mb of flash
680MHz processor

when in actuality it has:

8mb of flash
533MHz processor

Talked to Newegg.

"I just received a Netgear WNDR3700 from you guys. I just wanted to
let you know that you have the specs listed wrong. The specs you have
listed are 16mb of flash ram and a 680MHz processor. This is wrong.
I've looked at the box/the router/and the manufacturer's site, the specs
are listed as 8mb of flash ram and a 533MHz processor.

The specs you have listed are for the 'version 2' model, the router you
are selling is the 'version 3' model. On top of having downgraded specs
the 'version 3' is also not compatible with the highly popular dd-wrt and
tomato flashes unlike the 'version 2' which people are led to believe they
are buying by the specs listed."

They agreed to update their page.

Last edited:
Just received mine from UPS. It is most definitely a version 3. I'm not really concerned with the lack of dd-wrt or tomato support as I didn't plan on flashing the router but one thing that does bother me is...
Newegg has the specs listed as having:

16mb of flash
680MHz processor

when in actuality it has:

8mb of flash
533MHz processor

Talked to Newegg.

"I just received a Netgear WNDR3700 from you guys. I just wanted to
let you know that you have the specs listed wrong. The specs you have
listed are 16mb of flash ram and a 680MHz processor. This is wrong.
I've looked at the box/the router/and the manufacturer's site, the specs
are listed as 8mb of flash ram and a 533MHz processor.

The specs you have listed are for the 'version 2' model, the router you
are selling is the 'version 3' model. On top of having downgraded specs
the 'version 3' is also not compatible with the highly popular dd-wrt and
tomato flashes unlike the 'version 2' which people are led to believe they
are buying by the specs listed."

They agreed to update their page.

i have v2 and it is probably the best router i have ever owned.

v2 is stellar, v3 i think had some issues

*edit*
ah oops, saw the BOLD writing after post. everyone knows. nvm

i have v2 and it is probably the best router i have ever owned.

v2 is stellar, v3 i think had some issues

*edit*
ah oops, saw the BOLD writing after post. everyone knows. nvm

Indeed they are great routers.

v3 has 64mb of ram and is not Atheros. Which has SSID dropping issues. That is why I stay away from Atheros. I personally had no problems with the v3 stock.. But this is just even better.

Back