Hot, Netgear AC1900 $89.97 Walmart B&M

So I bought one not really needing it. I have a WNDR4000 that is just humming along and I have read enough reviews to sufficiently scare me into thinking again about hooking up the R7000. Am I crazy or are people really having a hard time with this router?

I took one up to the self checkout last night and it was $199. Handed it over to the guy managing the self checkout lanes and told him to cancel my scan please.

This was in Maine.

I checked two stores last night and today, out of stock. Maybe something else of great value will show up around Christmas so I can replace this ancient WRT54G...

So I bought one not really needing it. I have a WNDR4000 that is just humming along and I have read enough reviews to sufficiently scare me into thinking again about hooking up the R7000. Am I crazy or are people really having a hard time with this router?

You are just crazy lol.

This router is very simple to set up.

It's not the setup I worry about, it's the reliability. Lots of reported dropped wireless connectivity, random ip phone latency issues, and other things I really don't want to deal with. I guess I will always have the current router to fall back to if need be.

It's not the setup I worry about, it's the reliability. Lots of reported dropped wireless connectivity, random ip phone latency issues, and other things I really don't want to deal with. I guess I will always have the current router to fall back to if need be.

Look at any reviews for ALL wifi routers, they say the same time. The most reliable routers for preventing drops would probably be something like a Mikrokit.

I have one of these at work (small office with 5-6 concurrent connections) running DD-WRT. I have not rebooted in months and have not had any issues with wired or wireless connections. This is a great router and if the price would ever get to $125 I would buy one for home to replace my Linksys E4200.

Alright, I will deploy it. But if anything happens, and my wife is about to kill me, I will simply say "NKD made me do it!". That usually goes well.

I have really good luck with netgear routers and the RXXXX series. Ever since they redesigned the firmware from ground up they have been really rock solid. They have really ironed out alot of the bugs and reliability issues with their routers. I have never found user reviews of routers as a reliable source of information. I have the R6250 and I love it but I am waiting to get the R7000 around 120 or so. I missed out on the target sale thinking that the coupon expired tomorrow but it expired today for netgear products 25% off. It would have come down to 127+ tax with cartwheel coupon but I missed out. Killer deal for 89 though. You owe it to yourself to plug it in. LOL

So if you missed out on this, what is a good deal for a router with usb

I work for Netgear and can tell you that the R7000 and R8000 are some of the most reliable we make.

I work for Netgear and can tell you that the R7000 and R8000 are some of the most reliable we make.

Idea why my usb drive is not recognized with the r7000, in front usb or rear usb port. I am using a powered usb 3.0 enclosure with a seagate 1tb hdd.

I believe this can be flashed with dd-wrt.
If so killer deal.

I know either DD or Open WRT can be flashed to it. Tomato can as well, however, if you flash from one of those to another, you should read up first. I know i've seen a post that said you should flash back to the original firmware before installing Shibby's Tomato Build or you could brick your router (http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/thread/56505/Tomato-for-Netgear-Nighthawk-R7000/)

It's old, so this may no longer be true. Also, the issues with Netgears firmware dropping connections was allegedly fixed earlier this year (sorry don't have that link handy).

Only thing that's kind of odd so far is it takes a few after my computer boots up to get an ip. Asus was instant this one takes a bit. Only thing thing I can find with it as a falt so far.

Only thing that's kind of odd so far is it takes a few after my computer boots up to get an ip. Asus was instant this one takes a bit. Only thing thing I can find with it as a falt so far.

That is odd. I've never had that issue with any router. Are you connecting via wireless or Ethernet? If the former, try Ethernet just to see if you have the same issue.

I'd also check if that it has the latest firmware.

It's ethernet and it's has the latest firmware.. might try dd wrt at some point. Liked it on a cheap netgear I use to have.

just FYI guys but I have 2 of these (had 1 for many months, 1 new from Walmart this week as a bridge) and I found the "60" firmware to be the most stable. The bridge wouldn't work at all with the "80" firmware. I flashed both routers to "60" and all has been good.

Just set this baby up after getting back home and it's a beast. Using the stock firmware for now, will probably flash DD-WRT sometime later this week. Greatly improved signal quality in my house, and holy crap is it fast.

Any of you that ended up with multiple of these, would you be willing to part with one for cost+$10/$15+shipping or something?

Went in to my local Walmart yesterday, had them scan the UPC and it was normal price.

A little OT but I just set up my Asus AC-68P and holy crap I didn't realize what I was missing. I guess the cpu/ram/flash of a router really can make a difference. I was using a 5 year old setup of a Syswan Duolinks SW24 and an Engenius 8500 Wireless G ap and I hardly ever got my full 50mb dl, especially on things like games they'd always drop down to 2MB or so, but not with the Asus. I assume it's the same with the Netgear. I'm jealous of you guys who got in on this deal now because I'm happy with what I paid but I would've loved to save another $50 for this type of performance.

A little OT but I just set up my Asus AC-68P and holy crap I didn't realize what I was missing. I guess the cpu/ram/flash of a router really can make a difference. I was using a 5 year old setup of a Syswan Duolinks SW24 and an Engenius 8500 Wireless G ap and I hardly ever got my full 50mb dl, especially on things like games they'd always drop down to 2MB or so, but not with the Asus. I assume it's the same with the Netgear. I'm jealous of you guys who got in on this deal now because I'm happy with what I paid but I would've loved to save another $50 for this type of performance.

While visiting family last weekend, I temporarily changed their router (wrt546) with mine WRT54TM and mine had much faster wireless. I switched their firmware to Tomato and nothing changed (though I used Shibby's on there's and mine has the 1.28 Polar Tomato).

I doubt I'll get much more from the internet with this one, but for internal transfers it'll rock (at least it will once I get an AC card. Hard to find reasonably priced nics.

Back