Hot, Netgear AC1900 $89.97 Walmart B&M

Silly me, i called 3 stores in my area and the experience of dealing with these fucking mo mo's at Walmart quickly brought back all the unfortunate memories when i used to occasionally shop there.

Thanks for this thread, it's just the reminder i needed of why i never get within a mile of Walmart. May the entire Walton family fall into an unusually deep hole.

I'm pretty happy with mine...decided to stay on stock firmware despite being a DD-WRT fan. It's only purpose is to provide wireless to my house - pfsense does my routing. My only AC end client is an ASUS PCE-AC68 - Pending signal I see 45-60MB/s from my file server (yes, megabytes per seconds, not bits) - this router does very well. I am having pretty big issues with 2.4 and 5ghz working together...but I've not spent the time to figure our my configuration error or something else - probably something minor or stupid im overlooking.

I need a new modem, too. What would be a good modem to pair with this router via Comcast?

Hmmm, yeah, in need of a good comcast modem deal too

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI

I've not read any reviews - but it does review well. What I do know is I've never power cycled mine - and have the 50/10 package from Comcast - provided with good signal to noise levels and power levels - It's not let me down once. Price seems fair - Comcast didn't give me any shit when activating it. I've also used this in several customers houses without issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Picked one right up, only one on the shelf. $90 plus tax.

I can probably sell my Powerline router set, Linksys N router, Linksys WRT54G, Cisco ethernet bridge, and wireless repeater that I have all tried to use to make up for using a crappy wifi router...

Got the Netgear up and running .. Pic of it next to my Asus dark night just for size reference thing is huge lol and ignore the netgear in the back ground it's for my home security system..

20141128_222358_zpsstfhidga.jpg

I gota say thanks to the OP, I have been looking for a new router so I can retire my Linksys WRT54G. I just can't help but wonder why this router is marked down so much? The cost was $89.97 and the fact that the price ends in a seven (7) and not a nine (9) is somewhat of a tell. Meaning, it's very likely that once these have sold out there won't be anymore in stock (clearance item) and thus not really a Black Friday Special.

I gota say thanks to the OP, I have been looking for a new router so I can retire my Linksys WRT54G. I just can't help but wonder why this router is marked down so much? The cost was $89.97 and the fact that the price ends in a seven (7) and not a nine (9) is somewhat of a tell. Meaning, it's very likely that once these have sold out there won't be anymore in stock (clearance item) and thus not really a Black Friday Special.

The router is great, if they stop making them soon it is still well worth $90

Wish I had gotten one of these.

I've got a Netgear R6300 which is great. But you know how things go... New toys... new fun.

just purchased two at the grand haven mi store, checked both muskegon stores and a few grand rapids stores, they didn't have any in stock.

You are correct, one can load custom firmware on the Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk. However there is not a "WRT" edition as asked about/implied above.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant, but thought it best to make it explicit, just in case the person the person asking just wanted a router that could load 3rd party firmware.

BTW, thanks OP for this tip. I don't really need an AC router, but for 90 bucks, it's really hard to go wrong. Now I just need to find a NIC (preferably one that doesn't cost almost as much as the router).

Silly me, i called 3 stores in my area and the experience of dealing with these fucking mo mo's at Walmart quickly brought back all the unfortunate memories when i used to occasionally shop there.

Thanks for this thread, it's just the reminder i needed of why i never get within a mile of Walmart. May the entire Walton family fall into an unusually deep hole.

I just drove to the walmart and when it didn't have one, I drove to the next one a few miles away. You'll rarely get a person in any big box store (especially Thanksgiving weekend).

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI

I've not read any reviews - but it does review well. What I do know is I've never power cycled mine - and have the 50/10 package from Comcast - provided with good signal to noise levels and power levels - It's not let me down once. Price seems fair - Comcast didn't give me any shit when activating it. I've also used this in several customers houses without issue.

I'm not exactly pushing it, but mine works fine. Certainly beats renting from Comcast.

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't be a douche! Never call when it comes to a price markdown like this! Of course they didn't have any in stock! You tipped the "mo's" off to a price mix up! Dummy! They bought them all up to sell on ebay like the rest of the SD'ers! :mad:

For any of you who bought multiples, remember that you can hook these up in bridge mode instead of buying the ASUS AC1900 desktop adapter (which is ~$97)....lol, might be more fun than eBay

The sheer amount of these on eBay is insane. Lol
I can't wait till every little Johnny SD loses money on their "resell profits" once eBay and PayPal fees are taken into account. Arbitrage and flipping isn't as easy as many seem to think.

I drove to multiple stores after work yesterday, these appeared to be the only routers sold at each store, since all the other item slots and shelves were loaded up with routers.
It's always frustrating when people hog multiples of these deals, but 'Murica!

Yea i got lucky with mine I looked and didn't see it.. then I happen to see one shoved behind the linksys 1900 lol just barely see it ..lucky the box was bigger on the netgear..

If all you need is a router without much additional features, go for the Netgear. But a much better deal on a more fully featured AC router with tons of features: spend $25 more at Newegg for the Asus RT-AC66R which is only $120 with promo code EMCWWHB32

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2814-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33320215-S3A0C

Another advantage of the Asus, they continue to improve and add features for the RT-AC66R through regular firmware updates.

They had three at my store so I picked one up. I have no idea why I even bought it. :/

my walmart had 2 still. I grabbed one at 6pm Saturday (well my wife did and texted me that they have them). Tempted to grab both but didnt need it. Also it didn't show it instock online FWIW

On the way home from work this afternoon, I hit five (yes, 5!) Wal-marts and none had the R7000. The good news is I almost hit 10k steps on my Fitbit. The bad news is when you park at 5 different stores, you easily forget where you parked each time!!!

On the way home from work this afternoon, I hit five (yes, 5!) Wal-marts and none had the R7000. The good news is I almost hit 10k steps on my Fitbit. The bad news is when you park at 5 different stores, you easily forget where you parked each time!!!

I'm still trying to find a reasonably priced WNIC. AC cards are kinda pricey ($40.00 is the cheapest I've seen so far).

There is about 5 here at my local Wal-Mart because I live in the boonies and people are idiots but I literally just ordered an Asus AC68P from Best Buy on Wednesday because it was on sale for $130 so I passed. I'm tempted to grab the Netgear and return the Asus though.

I checked my local Walmart this morning and they were sold out. Congrats to everyone who got one. If someone got extra and wants to make a quick $20 without eBay and Paypal fees PM me.

I've had one of these for a while but I told a couple of friends that were in the market about the deal. Both of them were able to pick one up.

I checked this out tonight as well (Eastern NC) and the price was $199.99. I checked the price on a price scanner. There were four units on the shelf.

Last edited:
Thanks OP. Picked one up on BF and took it to the front. Lady didn't even indicate that she knew what the internet was.

Thanks OP. Picked one up on BF and took it to the front. Lady didn't even indicate that she knew what the internet was.

:D:D:D

yeah I missed this deal by five minutes last night. Saw it on here and went to my local walmarts. All sold out. Checked my hometown (boonies) and everyone had one in stock. Added to cart and price was fixed.... A few curse words followed....

Guess im sticking with the AC87U for $160. Don't really need the extra features, but hopefully I'll pickup some extra range.

Back