HOT: Micron 512GB SSD TLC 3D SATA M.2 6Gb/s $44 Newegg

Not sold by newegg, but another retailer and shipped by newegg. A lot of times these secondary retailers are selling shady stuff so do your homework.

Just fyi, this is non-NVME so you'll get the same speeds as 2.5 SATA SSD's, but at the added convenience of being powered through the motherboard and additional security features with this being an enterprise drive... no cables. I wouldn't call this hot as 2.5 inch sata's are going for ~$50 per 500 GB

Man, I'd jump on that if I needed to build a new system tomorrow.

But the 525GB Crucial TLC SSD I picked up two and a half years ago (for twice the price, I'll add) is still trucking along, and none of my other systems really need that size SSD.

Not sold by newegg, but another retailer and shipped by newegg. A lot of times these secondary retailers are selling shady stuff so do your homework.

Agreed, especially in regards to returns. Read the fine print at least about that.

Just fyi, this is non-NVME so you'll get the same speeds as 2.5 SATA SSD's, but at the added convenience of being powered through the motherboard and additional security features with this being an enterprise drive... no cables. I wouldn't call this hot as 2.5 inch sata's are going for ~$50 per 500 GB
I think it depends on your use case. The nice thing about this is it's based on the MX300 which is better than a lot of cheaper TLC 3D NAND SSDs because it has DRAM. It is based on the MX300 after all. It also has conformal coating so it's even suitable for harsher environments.

I find it odd that it's coated by black covering. Does this cool the SSD? I don't think so....

A53D_131983779103242840YkiANTwVmR.jpg

I find it odd that it's coated by black covering. Does this cool the SSD? I don't think so....

View attachment 152603
That is conformal coating, it has nothing to do with temperature regulation.

Conformal Coating

This Micron 1100 SSD features conformal coating, a thin polymeric film, to protect against moisture, dust, chemicals, extreme temperatures, and other environmental factors that lead to board corrosion, metal whiskering, or current bleed between closely positioned components.

Conformal coating is not a sealant, rather a breathable material that allows trapped moisture to escape while maintaining protection from contamination.​

They put this on a wide range of components that are used in heavy industry. Let's say you have a large commercial CNC and that piece of equipment has a computer on the inside and on that computer you have one of these SSD's. You want that protection. They apply this stuff to mainboards and a lot of other things.

CNC machines are rather oily with lots of metal shavings. You can see where this is going.

Other sites mentioned that coating is required for the FIPS whatever rating/certification, something along those lines. It does look weird for sure.

That is conformal coating, it has nothing to do with temperature regulation.

Conformal Coating

This Micron 1100 SSD features conformal coating, a thin polymeric film, to protect against moisture, dust, chemicals, extreme temperatures, and other environmental factors that lead to board corrosion, metal whiskering, or current bleed between closely positioned components.

Conformal coating is not a sealant, rather a breathable material that allows trapped moisture to escape while maintaining protection from contamination.​

I see what you mean. Sounds good idea.
Plenty of pics in Google Images↓
https://www.google.com/search?q=Con...XkdN8KHZmJBKwQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=607&dpr=3

...would be FAST. :D Have you pulled the trigger yet?

I have not. And don't plan to... :p I've gone the route of modifying my BIOS to inject nvme support. Drive is in the mail but the 4x PCIe card has already arrived. I got in on that inland professional deal.

I have not. And don't plan to... :p I've gone the route of modifying my BIOS to inject nvme support. Drive is in the mail but the 4x PCIe card has already arrived. I got in on that inland professional deal.
I wouldn't put anything valuable on there with raid0 and the inlands. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but knowing what I know about 'house brands' and oem manufacturing, I stay away from all house brands of anything including groceries.

I wouldn't put anything valuable on there with raid0 and the inlands. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but knowing what I know about 'house brands' and oem manufacturing, I stay away from all house brands of anything including groceries.

Are you kidding? Costco brand (Kirkland) stuff is usually good stuff. I like house brand groceries with some things (Not everything).

However, I'm a little more cautious with house brand hardware if I want a solid running system. If it's for a minimal use system, then I don't care as much.

Back