[HOT] LG 34UC98 - $899.99 @ Costco (MSRP $1,199.99)

Daniel_Chang

[H]ard|Gawd
Costco Wholesale

Saw it in my local store the past two weeks, but figured it was a local only deal. But it's now up on their website as well so this one may stick. Also, this isn't even a "sale" price, but rather, the actual price they have it listed as.

I manhandled one in store and can confirm that this is in fact the UC98 version. Key specs include:

LG 34UC98: 34 Class 21:9 UltraWide® WQHD IPS Thunderbolt™ Curved LED Monitor (34 Diagonal) | LG USA

• 3440x1440 IPS (LG IPS, not AHVA)
  • Curved
  • 60hz (75hz w/FreeSync enabled)
  • FreeSync (55-75hz)
  • 8-bit + AFRC for 10-bit support
  • 2x HDMI 2.0
  • 1x DP 1.2a (no HDR, not 4k > 60hz, so no need for 1.3/1.4)
  • 2x Thunderbolt 2.0 via Mini-DP connector
  • USB 3.0 (1 up, 1 down, 1 separate quick charge 3.0 port)
  • Stand supports tilt and height
  • Flicker free

Pretty sure this is due to the recent 38UC99 announcement. Good price nonetheless!

That MSRP seems inflated. No way I am paying $1200 for 75hz and no GSYNC.

$899 is a good price.

That MSRP seems inflated. No way I am paying $1200 for 75hz and no GSYNC.

$899 is a good price.

True IPS (not AHVA)
Curved (liked it or not, this raises the price)
Numerous features not found in standard monitors to include USB hub and dual Thunderbolt 2.0

The panels in this series (I have one of their 27" 4k models) are pristine. Minimal glow, great quality. A far cry from the AHVA panel lottery we're seeing in most of the "IPS" FreeSync/G-Sync displays today.

You get what you pay for.

Minor variances in panel quality would bother me a lot less than screen tearing and the low refresh rate. Different strokes and all that, I guess.

Minor variances in panel quality would bother me a lot less than screen tearing and the low refresh rate. Different strokes and all that, I guess.

Screen tearing - This is a FreeSync monitor, so AMD users will get a similar benefit to whet Nvidia users get with G-Sync.
Refresh rate - I'm sure that there are others, but I only found one other monitor in its class (34/35", "IPS", adaptive Sync, 1440p ultrawide) with >75hz. It's the ASUS ROG PG348Q, it's 100hz, and it costs $400 more.
Minor variances - Not even close. The panel quality variance in these AHVA-based monitors has been all over the place.

If you can get a good one (requires luck and patience), then yes, the extra 25hz will matter to many. Worth $400 extra? Up to you.

How does this compare to the Dell U3415W? Building a new gaming system and was planning to get the Dell but this is a comparable price.

Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor - U3415W

I would guess its the same panel.

The Dell appears to be limited to 60hz and no FreeSync. The LG supports 60hz normally, and up to 75hz when using FreeSync.

The Dell has better USB support (4 down, 2 up, vs. LG's 1 down, 1 up, 1 quick charge). Dell's is a full USB hub whereas LG's is a passthrough (1 to 1). The separate quick charge USB port doesn't pass data through to the system (unconfirmed, but implied via LG's specs).

They have different connectivity. LG has 2xHDMI 2.0, whereas Dell has 1xHDMI 2.0 + 1xHDMI 1.4 w/MHL. LG has 1xDisplayPort 1.2, while the Dell has 3xDisplayPort 1.2 (1x minim DP, 2x full-size with one input and one output). LG has 2xThunderport 2.0 ports via MiniDP connector and support for daisy chaining.

Both have audio out and dual speakers (2x7W for LG, 2x9W for Dell).

The stand is far superior on Dell's monitor. LG's looks nice and has functionality, but I've used it and on all of their monitors it wobbles like crazy. I've had many cheap monitors and never one that wobbles like this. I'd recommend a custom VESA stand/arm.

Final Thoughts - At the same price, get the LG if you game and think there's at least some possibility you'd use FreeSync down the road. If you know with 100% certainty that you will NEVER use FreeSync, get the one with the connectivity options that more closely line up with your needs. Apple users may want the LG for the TB 2.0 support (though I don't know why they didn't also include USB-C TB 3.0 like on their 27" model).

The Dell appears to be limited to 60hz and no FreeSync. The LG supports 60hz normally, and up to 75hz when using FreeSync.

The Dell has better USB support (4 down, 2 up, vs. LG's 1 down, 1 up, 1 quick charge). Dell's is a full USB hub whereas LG's is a passthrough (1 to 1). The separate quick charge USB port doesn't pass data through to the system (unconfirmed, but implied via LG's specs).

They have different connectivity. LG has 2xHDMI 2.0, whereas Dell has 1xHDMI 2.0 + 1xHDMI 1.4 w/MHL. LG has 1xDisplayPort 1.2, while the Dell has 3xDisplayPort 1.2 (1x minim DP, 2x full-size with one input and one output). LG has 2xThunderport 2.0 ports via MiniDP connector and support for daisy chaining.

Both have audio out and dual speakers (2x7W for LG, 2x9W for Dell).

The stand is far superior on Dell's monitor. LG's looks nice and has functionality, but I've used it and on all of their monitors it wobbles like crazy. I've had many cheap monitors and never one that wobbles like this. I'd recommend a custom VESA stand/arm.

Final Thoughts - At the same price, get the LG if you game and think there's at least some possibility you'd use FreeSync down the road. If you know with 100% certainty that you will NEVER use FreeSync, get the one with the connectivity options that more closely line up with your needs. Apple users may want the LG for the TB 2.0 support (though I don't know why they didn't also include USB-C TB 3.0 like on their 27" model).

Thanks for the thorough reply. My new build will have a GTX 1080, so I am also considering G-Sync. But really don't like the price premium for the X34.

Is the 38UC99 the one that does 100Hz but can possibly be overclocked (setting) up to 120Hz?

Edit: Says 60Hz/75Hz so it can be set to 75Hz if you use DP. Well, that's better than 60Hz but I wish they'd go whole hog wild and get these panels doing 100Hz or better.

Last edited:
Only thing I hate about new monitors is the dead pixel lottery. The last one gained me elite status at Best Buy...

Only thing I hate about new monitors is the dead pixel lottery. The last one gained me elite status at Best Buy...

I've never had a single dead/stuck pixel on a name-brand TN, VA, or IPS panel. I've never had a single AHVA panel that didn't have a dead/stuck pixel. This is why I avoid those 1440p 144hz "IPS" panels with adaptive sync. They are polished turds, IMO.

I've never had a single dead/stuck pixel on a name-brand TN, VA, or IPS panel. I've never had a single AHVA panel that didn't have a dead/stuck pixel. This is why I avoid those 1440p 144hz "IPS" panels with adaptive sync. They are polished turds, IMO.

I've had many monitors, including some of the very first LG IPS to my current semi high end Asus monitor having dead pixels. It is very much a thing and a reason why there are many open box/referb monitors on the market. Although most of the monitors I've purchased with a dead pixel were LG, I would still continue to buy them.

Back