Hot-ish? Refurb Name-brand PC - $99 B&M Only

The XP Pro license is tied to the motherboard of the refurb. Which means if you change your motherboard you're going to have to buy a new copy of XP Pro.

What Pylon said. It doesn't come with a retail XP cd, it comes with an image disk with all the dell drivers and bloatware preinstalled. It is highly unlikely that it would work with another computer.

True that the license is tied to the original motherboard, but it is possible to use it the key on another system. It's against the license so of course you "shouldn't" do it.

You have to love how they are unsure if the cpu speed
"Processor Intel® Pentium® 4
Processor Speed 1.6GHz or faster"

True that the license is tied to the original motherboard, but it is possible to use it the key on another system. It's against the license so of course you "shouldn't" do it.

Correct. Need not say more than that :cool:

You have to love how they are unsure if the cpu speed
"Processor Intel® Pentium® 4
Processor Speed 1.6GHz or faster"

I bet they have a stock of them with varied processors. Easier just to sell them as one SKU most likely. If you noticed it can also be either Dell, HP/Compaq, or IBM.

I've noticed Microcenter really pushing deals lately. I hope thats a good sign, and that maybe they will grow into my region more, so I can take advantage of this stuff locally instead of having to buy everything online.

Competition is good, I approve 100%

Around here we have BB, and mom and pop stores, and the mom and pops are understandably overpriced compared to online, volume matters, and they just don't
have it.

Not a bad price, especially since IP4s OC like crazy.

What Pylon said. It doesn't come with a retail XP cd, it comes with an image disk with all the dell drivers and bloatware preinstalled. It is highly unlikely that it would work with another computer.

Not true. Comes with a CD and one of those green key stickers.

Not true. Comes with a CD and one of those green key stickers.

"Microsoft Authorized Refurbished unit with Genuine XP Pro operating system with Recovery CD." Recovery CD == Dell branded image disc. If you are going to buy this system for green key sticker you may as well just get a key from the Pirate Bay. Legally it's the same thing and free.

But you can put that key into another copy of XP. When you buy a copy of windows, you're paying that much for the key, not the damn cd.

But you can put that key into another copy of XP. When you buy a copy of windows, you're paying that much for the key, not the damn cd.

Didn't MS blacklist most (all?) of those green sticker licenses?

If there's a tool that validates keys, i could grab a couple from work and see if they're valid. My guess is that they are not.

Back