Hot! - Inland 1TB NVMe Premium $107.99 Microcenter

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by SixFootDuo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hruodgar

Hruodgar [H]Lite

amazon has it https://www.amazon.com/JEYI-SK8-NEW-Expansion-Adapter-2230-22110/dp/B07VD5PZYC

2. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

3. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl [H]Lite

There's a good chance they aren't traced all the way through. It doesn't show in any of the promotional shots, but when actually looking at the board, the PCI-E to M.2 converter I use only has traces on the PCB for X4. I assume its probably easier to manufacture all of them at once or something due to standardization?

I'd show you a picture, but honestly, its already installed and i'm typing on the computer it's installed on and I just don't want to take it out again because that is a lot of work.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  4. owkia

owkia 2[H]4U

From the product description:

Support ×4 ×8 ×16:Based on the bandwidth limit of the NVME disk ,the underlying transport protocol is still ×4 speed.

5. Unknown-One

Unknown-One [H]ardForum Junkie

Quick note for anyone applying a heatsink to one of these: Remember to cut the thermal pad so that it ONLY makes contact with the controller and DRAM, avoiding the NAND chips entirely.

The controller likes to run cool, but the flash actually works better at higher temperatures. Cooling NAND too much can impact the longevity of written data.

tangoseal, dvsman and Hruodgar like this.
  6. Unknown-One

Unknown-One [H]ardForum Junkie

On the adapter they linked? The fingers beyond 4x are non-functional, and the PCB is notched to allow installation into smaller slots.

The length does, however, allow it to use the 16x slot locking mechanism, which makes for a very secure mounting system. This might be desirable in some cases (and is why the adapters that don't use a rear-bracket at all are often in 16x form factor).

7. hititnquitit

hititnquitit Limp Gawd

8. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

See I was thinking something along these lines- forgot about that 16x lock. Also, if the traces aren't connected, then you could just snap them off (carefully) if there are motherboard components in the way.

9. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Agreed that the controller is the main thing that you'd want to keep cool. NAND is fine when it's warm; it's the controller that causes throttling.

This was posted earlier in the thread also - may be a solution if you don't want to purchase a full length heatsink: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-112...MIpK7C2_Ca4QIV8R-tBh1nVwZiEAQYBSABEgIUQfD_BwE

I'm sure Amazon/eBay have these also. May be a good way to go so that you don't have to worry about worrying whether the heatsink is for single sided or double sided drives, or the difference in height between the controller and the NAND. Just stick that guy on the controller and go. Even better if you can get some airflow across it.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  10. fakeng

fakeng n00b

Put it in my Gigabyte Aorus X570 pro wifi. Not reconized is it just me? Might have to reseat it but jw anybody else?

11. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

On my Asus prime x370-pro, I had to unplug some of the sata devices I had (I think on ports 5&6) as they were shared. Try unplugging all sata devices and see if it's detected.

12. fakeng

fakeng n00b

alright it works, so can i still use the sata ports? I need at least four of them. Does yours have 6 ports? so only 5+6?

13. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

You will have to read your MB manual. Some of the ports are shared.

Jim Kim likes this.
  14. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

Yeah I had the other four available to me. This is correct, although you may need do some trial & error. My motherboard's manual did NOT specify which ones.

15. fakeng

fakeng n00b

ok it works now I had to just remove sata ports. then reconnect them after restart.

TheSlySyl likes this.
  16. erek

erek 2[H]4U

how are these holding up so far? a good many failures reported or not? (just curious... i'm waiting to use mine for the Ryzen 3950X build...)

17. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl [H]Lite

Mines doing fantastic, but I haven't really put it under that many strenuous circumstances.

18. clownfish27

clownfish27 n00b

i've bought one of these. i'm very satisfied.

19. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Mine is also problem free. No crazy loads, just my gaming PC.

20. MixManSC

MixManSC ║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█ Staff Member