Hot! - Inland 1TB NVMe Premium $107.99 Microcenter

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by SixFootDuo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. compgeek89

compgeek89 Limp Gawd

Has anyone put these in a raid card? I just bought 4 and put them in a HighPoint SSD7103, haven't tested it out yet, but obviously hoping I won't have heat issues, especially since they're double sided.

2. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I'm referring to whomever is having heat issues, you, him or others. Anyone. These drives are actually rated to 175F or more without performance degradation. But I can't speak on this 100% ... I just know most here are not having issues with heat and our PC cases do not vary wildly from one case to the other. We all live in very similar conditions temp wise with very similar air flow within those cases.

3. sirplayalot

sirplayalot Gawd

Just caught a great PC deal on Craigslist and took it apart and found one of these bad boys in there! I was gonna head to MC and buy one this week too!

dvsman, Eshelmen, Net Prowler and 3 others like this.
  4. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

The Sabrent Rocket version on Amazon is a $100 today if anyone is still looking.

Net Prowler and hititnquitit like this.
  5. elation

elation Gawd

Just got mine in today all based on this thread - thank you. Luckily I was home - the wind almost blew the envelope off my porch. This is officially part #1 of my new Ryzen 3900x build. Decided on a Cooler Master H500 for the case (will order soon). Closely looking at the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) and maybe a the new LG 27GL850 27" Nano IPS monitor. I'm pumped!

6. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

I picked up the Silicon Power from Newegg last week for $99, no too bad

upload_2019-7-5_14-51-22.png

7. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Is the 512 or 256 as fast as the 1TB. Already have a cheap 1TB sata SSD that will be/ is my steam drive is it worth saving 50$ or just get the 1TB version lol.

8. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller [H]ardness Supreme

Unless you want it for the large flashly fans in the front that barely move air I would do a [H]ard pass on the H500...

I was pumped for it when it was announced since at the time I was brining a 230mm rad for my loop over (which limits cares to all of 3, including thre one I was coming from and the other two were old 3 years ago!) Gamers Nexus didn't think very highly of it, it was very average to poor from what I remember.

K might be wrong but check out their review before you buy it just in case. Would hate for you to end up buying a case you regret shipping it back is a PITA.

elation likes this.
  9. Kajun614

Kajun614 Limp Gawd

You might be thinking of the original one. they have redone it like 4 times since the bad review. it is now recommended by the same guy. Obviously you use the mesh front not the solid front panel if you want the air flow.

elation likes this.
  10. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

Nope, they're slower, although whether or not that is meaningful depends on the usage. I mean for everyday booting and browsing you won't see a subjective difference. If you're moving larger files around, doing heavier content creation or development/server tasks, then yes.

Vengance_01 likes this.
  11. ccityinstaller

Oh wow that's crazy. I'm glad it's at least a viable option vs what it was at launch!

12. elation

elation Gawd

Thanks for the tips guys! Yes there are way too many 500 series cases out. I still have not pulled the trigger on the case as I am really wanting something with at least one 5 1/4 external bay (and preferably no glass) for my blu-ray drive. I did, however, get my Corsair 850x PSU in. Stoked to see what kind numbers I get on my new Inland Premium 1TB (and the rest of my build).

13. ccityinstaller

Yeha the glass is gimicy and a PITA. I've had the top off my TT View 71 TG since I found it lowered my VEGAs by nearly 10C just by removing the top glass panel.

Now that I am down to running a sibgle GPU instead of 3 it won't be as bad but I might still leave it off. I just hate picking it up. It weighs like 75lbs with the loop filled and all 4 glass panels attached.

Good luck with your build.

elation and DooLocsta like this.
  14. SixFootDuo

I have the Corsair Obsidian 500d Premium and it's simply fuking amazing. Best case ever.

If Lian-Li were to ever build anything like the Corsair Obsidian 500d Premium with thick 3 or 4mm aluminum and glass .... that case would win the internet hands down.

15. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

Anybody have issues with write speed plummeting?

My read speeds are fine, but write speed dropped to ~1080 sequential.

All smart data also shows nothing now.

16. NobleX13

NobleX13 2[H]4U

I ordered one of these things from Microcenter yesterday afternoon. The basic shipping is just FedEx SmartPost but they sent me a tracking number within an hour of placing the order.

17. Kajun614

Kajun614 Limp Gawd

Prices are going up on these. its matching the news article that ssd prices are going to rise sharply soon

18. NobleX13

NobleX13 2[H]4U

Wow. I guess it's my fault. I ordered one yesterday at the $99 price.

19. ccityinstaller

lol, I think it is more to do with WD/Toshiba losing a full quarter's worth of NAND in 13 mins of FUBAR.

20. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Yeah when I picked up a new Ryzen I made sure to swing by and get another quad of these @97 before it starts going back up.

Flash will be back down again eventually but I've experienced enough of this supply chain shit with RAM, hard drives and more to know sometimes you stock up on useful IT commodities after some fire|flood|earthquake|greed.

Hopefully once this blip is over the 4.0 variants are nearly as cheap.

mikeo likes this.
  21. CMDR1337

CMDR1337 n00b

my first post on the way to 100 :>

is there any way to be 100% sure this is not QLC?
    i could have sworn the guy told me it was QLC and not TLC.
    i have not built my system yet (MSI X570 AMD 3800x 32GB) but I really want to start.
    any ideas?

22. CMDR1337

CMDR1337 n00b

I had read (somewhere) that slowing write speeds are due to using QLC? i hope im wrong!

23. CMDR1337

CMDR1337 n00b

Never mind. i just confirmed with MC text chat dude that they are TLC. does that mean they should be ok for OS drive?
    sorry to sound like such a N00b.
    Thanx in advance!

AnIgnorantPerson likes this.
  24. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

QLC drives make fine OS / applications drives if you don't go out of your way to abuse them.

However, if your main application is benchmarking- you might try to find MLC instead, or Optane. Very few SSDs respond well to abuse.

Nearly all are great at read-heavy workloads.

25. AnIgnorantPerson

AnIgnorantPerson Limp Gawd

I haven't read up on this but was super curious on how the fuck that happened? Like how does 13 mins destroy a whole quarter of production? Also if power outage can do that why the hell aren't you prepared for that? I have been to Japan 3 times and their power grid is trash for several reasons. I really dont get why they haven't planned for this and have proper backups. I am obviously ignorant on their operations but would love to see why and how this actually happened but all reports have been vague on details sadly :/
    simple programs that read your wear will tell you how much read/writes you do. I somehow already have like 9TB of writes on my 970 EVO Plus I bought like a month ago...wtf?

In the past I was averaging like 100-300GB of writes a day and 500GB or more of reads a day. So I am fairly picky on my OS drives for my main rig.

26. IdiotInCharge

If this is your use case, then yeah, you'll want something more appropriately tuned.

27. ccityinstaller

TLC is fine...That is what the 960 EVO uses, and this modern TLC has endurance that will outlast nearly a decade of insane nonstop read/writes. As far as you having that kinda data on a 970 a month ago, either you are hammering the drive nonstop 24/7 or something is wrong. Use Samsung Magician and see what it says. I still have a 256GB MLC based Samsung 830 that was purchased back in like 2013-early 14 and used as a boot/game drive that got insane useage, and is now a cache drive for Linux ISOs, and it has a whopping 14.8TB on it. Now, this will go up much quicker as a cache drive but I still have a 99% health rating on the drive.

As far as the WD/T screw up, it HAD to be malware at the powerplants or something...They lost so much because 4 or 5 fabs ALL LOST power at once for that 13 minute period. Those fabs are MASSIVE, and having that many go down for so long is crazy. So it was either a malware attack or they did it prop prices up...

Given how much inventory there is in the channel and semi weak demand, there is no way prices are going to go up the way they want. Samsung and everyone else is steadily turning out NAND 24/7. So my money is on malware.

28. ccityinstaller

If you are referring to QLC, I agree. If you are referring to a modern TLC based price that is under $100 for 1TB (or a hair above with tax etc etc) then I disagree. They are fast drive and the NAND should be fine.

29. IdiotInCharge

Mostly just alluding to AnIgnorantPerson appearing to approach the limits of TLC for their use case. For nearly everyone, modern TLC should really be overkill; QLC works very well for read-heavy applications, but will falter under write-heavy workloads. I'm currently running a 2TB 660p in an ultrabook- gets hot as hell and slows a bit under constant load, but otherwise, it flies on the desktop.

I'd actually have to get really specific to define where I wouldn't use QLC.

30. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Micron also cut their production, as announced in their last shareholder call. SSD prices are definitely otw up. People who are thinking about snapping up some drives should probably do it now, I highly doubt the deals around the holidays will be better than current prices. Of course I could be wrong. I stocked up though, so I put my money where my mouth is.

The power outage really screwed things up because nand in various stages of production was all a total loss and then there were issues getting production back up and running again. Equipment was damaged which was apparently the big issue getting the line going again. I'm guessing the reason they don't have generators that can instantly switch on during a power outage is because of the cost, but they'll probably be rethinking that decision.

As far as a program that can read the write wear, my suggestion is CrystalDiskInfo. I'm not aware of any drives that report read data, though, and there are many that do not report write data either. I'm not sure these Inland m.2 drives report writes, I know for a fact that the various sized 2.5" SSDs they sell DO NOT.

31. ccityinstaller

I agree they may go up ~10-15% short term, but many of the 3rd party vendors (think everyone that sells a drive but doesn't make it like Corsair, Gigabyte, etc etc) are sitting on 2-3.5 months of inventory, which is all the shortage/cuts are supposed to really be an issue (1 quarter)..I hedged my bets by buying one of the INLAND 1TB drives myself, since I got it under $98 bucks.

32. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Went to my local Missouri Microcenter last night and they had a 1 foot tall stack of 1TB's available. I purchased a 512GB @ $50 as I just need it for OS, which they also had many of.

33. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

As of a few weeks ago, Micron had 5 months of inventory on hand (151 days). So what you're saying is correct in the short term, at least logically. However, I've seen way too many of these cycles happen to believe logic will win out. I expect hype and spin to result in far more dramatic price increases than should be justifiable. I'm not saying SSDs will double in price in the next few months or anything that crazy, but they will go up and how much depends on many different factors.

mikeo likes this.
  34. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

Those 3.5tb micron ssd sata drives that were $318 have me covered for the next few years. Still a good deal at 370 if you need the space and can deal with SATA limitations.

35. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

If I would have had the extra disposable cash I would have been all over the Micron 4TB SSD drive deal when it hit $318. Sadly, I am broke so I settled for a 1TB Inland 2.5" for $85 and a 1TB Intel M.2 660p for $72 (open box deal at the egg but it arrived brand new unopened).

36. mrpickem

mrpickem n00b

I purchased one today, from OP link. Price now $102. I hope that was an affiliatelink for the forum.

Lets go!

37. AnIgnorantPerson

AnIgnorantPerson Limp Gawd

read data is part of SMART. Smart also tells you write amplification IIRC(at least on previous drives it did but not sure on current drive. I haven't bothered to look). HDSentiel is what I use and it gives tons of stats.
    stats.png
    smart.png disk performance.png

Maxx, mikeo, DooLocsta and 1 other person like this.
  38. oMek

oMek Gawd

v12.3 Firmware I found floating around. The few posts I found clam small speed gains. Not sure if its destructive.

https://gofile.io/?c=k2LdtQ

IdiotInCharge and SixFootDuo like this.
  39. SixFootDuo

non-destructive.

Here are my new numbers. Yes, numbers are better.

Firmware tool works a treat. Literally takes a few seconds then asks you to reboot to take effect.

ssd.jpg

40. SixFootDuo

Tread title updated to reflect new $102.99 pricing

Note: Price is starting to creep upwards. Still a fantastic deal at $102.99.

Best time in years to buy desktop memory and solid state storage. Not sure how long prices will hold at these historic low levels.

I would suggest everyone act now. Not later.