HOT HOT HOT AMD Opteron 144

hrm....so would this be a worth while upgrade over a 939 Winchester 3000+....I've got it on water doing 2530Mhz....? I know the Opteron has double the cache, but what kind of real world performance does that translate to?

None. heh. Cache does nothing really. Id still get an opteron over a winchester any day. Its hard to say what it would oc to though. My last opty 144 I got from monarch (about 2 months ago) did 2.8ghz on stock volts though so....

Look at it the way I do. Its like $120 shipped. You can sell it for at least $140-$160 on ebay if it sucks ocing.

Daniel53 said:
hrm....so would this be a worth while upgrade over a 939 Winchester 3000+....I've got it on water doing 2530Mhz....? I know the Opteron has double the cache, but what kind of real world performance does that translate to?

In matlab and Patran/Nastran theres a nice increase. Haven't really noticed a difference in anything else though.

not to go too far off topic, but i pulled the trigger and ordered it.

would you guys say moving from a64 3000+ newcastle s754 to this is a good upgrade? i could have my [email protected] with venus12 cooler, noticeable improvement should be expected (gaming at least ) y/n?

furocious said:
not to go too far off topic, but i pulled the trigger and ordered it.

would you guys say moving from a64 3000+ newcastle s754 to this is a good upgrade? i could have my [email protected] with venus12 cooler, noticeable improvement should be expected (gaming at least ) y/n?

opterons are skt939 so you would need a new mobo

winnie 3000+ -> opteron 144 not worth it. if you really want a upgrade go with opteron 146 considering you have ocable mem

I say sit tight with your winny and grab a DC Opteron when you can. 2.6 is close to FX 55 speeds, its no slouch.

Depends on what the stepping is and whether or not it is a good OCing one. I would find it hilarious if that was one of the factors contributing to the low price--a craptastic stepping.

: [, yes i plan on getting a new MoBo, PSU, vid card. moving from

7800GS+2x512 generic+1x1024 corsair value select+Epox s754 mobo

to

7900GT+same rem+like dfi/msi Mobo.

Note that this is a regular price drop, not a special deal, as far as I can see. Next-gen processors incoming means the old processors get price drops.

Wish I could jump on this deal, I just ordered a 3000+ from newegg for $114 3 days ago, dang thing is still in transit according to UPS.

Why do all the deals get posted a week after I make an order? :(

can anyone provide me a little info on the Opte 144?
-overclocking
-etc

thanks

You can refuse the package from UPS/Fedex for the 3000+, if you want to pick up the Opteron.

i wouldnt get it

OEM= no warantee

meaning when this chip dies, u'll have to buy a new one

kohan69 said:
i wouldnt get it

OEM= no warantee

meaning when this chip dies, u'll have to buy a new one

oem = 1 year warranty... :mad:

Tman said:
can anyone provide me a little info on the Opte 144?
-overclocking
-etc

thanks

Great overclocker, most hitting 2.7-2.9

opteron 144 - 9 multiplier
146 - 10 multiplier

amd ati FO SHO said:
oem = 1 year warranty... :mad:

OEM means you get the warranty the retailer gives you. Monarch gives you a 60 day warranty unless you want to pay for more.

Technically overclocking voids the retail warranty anyway and that's what these Opterons were made for :).

Now I know the Opteron 170 is better and is duel core. But... for a side system how good with this baby be to replace a 3500+

I replaced my 3500+ with one. 2.7 with a mild voltage bump. My 146 does 2.8 with mild voltage increase. I think the 144 is the best bang for your buck.

Do you have to buy a heatsink with this? There's list for heatsinks and it says required except for retail cpu's.

Can you leave it on none or will they cancel the order?

AssMan said:
Do you have to buy a heatsink with this? There's list for heatsinks and it says required except for retail cpu's.

Can you leave it on none or will they cancel the order?

You don't need to buy a heatsink, it is only saying that it does not come with one.

I got one of these from monarch.... will do 2.8 no problem I run mine 2.7 with a 300 FSB and mem at 250. Much better overclocker than the Venice 3000+ it replaced and yes there is a difference between the two chips at least on my system. Using XP120 with AC 120mm fan to cool it.

I gave this deal a shot. I wonder how well this batch of processors will overclock. Tracking number says mine should be here today.

I had an extra board from a Monarch sale a few weeks ago so I ordered so I ordered one of these to see how it overclocks. Now I just need to find a $100 or so vid card and I've got a complete system.

AssMan said:
I had an extra board from a Monarch sale a few weeks ago so I ordered so I ordered one of these to see how it overclocks. Now I just need to find a $100 or so vid card and I've got a complete system.

arent those 7600GS in the $100 range?

I got a CAB1E 0614. Hopefully it treats me well, but I won't know until this weekend, or later.

I have cab2e stepping..

running the asrock dual sataII board with this @ 2.796 stable
:)

bought it off a friend for $100 when he decided to get an xps (it initially came from monarch)

misternapps said:
I have cab2e stepping..

running the asrock dual sataII board with this @ 2.796 stable
:)

bought it off a friend for $100 when he decided to get an xps (it initially came from monarch)

I bought the ASrock board from Newegg for $65 the other day too. A quick search shows the CAB1E is not common for the Opty 144, but those that do have it are reporting getting 3.0 Ghz on stock vcore. I find it hard to believe, and I won't get my hopes up, but that would be insane if it is true.

I doubt the Asrock board is going to be able to do that high HTT however.

It's neat that there are so many people discovering the joy of Opteron 144's & 165's... I thought everyone knew by now. Seeing all these posts remind me of the day I learned about them. LoL

ewb302 said:
Ha, this is my first AMD. I need to see what the 939 hype is all about ;)

If this is your first AMD... first off, it will blow your pants off.. also, it's coming to an end with 939. AM2 & Intels Conroe seems to be all the hizzle fo shizzle these days.

Yeah, I know it is coming to an end, but I always get in late on everything. I can never bring myself to spend top dollar for the brand new stuff. If this combo comes together right, it should last quite a while. I also have the ability to put any video card in this Asrock mobo (AGP or PCI-E), so that is very cool too. I still won't throw away my old Intel setup though :)

Back