HOT!!! Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H $114 @ Microcenter !

780 and all my monitors are fine haha. Per recommendations on OCN, I'll set it to detect IGP first, enable boot (to unlock the Legacy option for VGA). The default initiate PCIe1 option is useless as it wasn't passing video period.

I flashed to F6 yesterday, but I'll flash it to F7 tonight and make the other changes and try my 780 again. Hopefully that's the end of this hilariousness haha.

any of you guys with this board get random shutoffs? I am not sure what else to try. I turned off all the new power savings features in bios, at least i think. I turned off sleep mode completely on my pc but it still shutsoff randomly while i am still using it. Any ideas?

any of you guys with this board get random shutoffs? I am not sure what else to try. I turned off all the new power savings features in bios, at least i think. I turned off sleep mode completely on my pc but it still shutsoff randomly while i am still using it. Any ideas?

No. Power supply?

780 and all my monitors are fine haha. Per recommendations on OCN, I'll set it to detect IGP first, enable boot (to unlock the Legacy option for VGA). The default initiate PCIe1 option is useless as it wasn't passing video period.

I flashed to F6 yesterday, but I'll flash it to F7 tonight and make the other changes and try my 780 again. Hopefully that's the end of this hilariousness haha.

Christ, f7 is out? meh, ill keep F6.

This should scream out loud that there wasn't anything wrong with the Z87 Pro and there's some thing wrong with your set-up.
As I said before it's more than likely your power supply.

This should scream out loud that there wasn't anything wrong with the Z87 Pro and there's some thing wrong with your set-up.
As I said before it's more than likely your power supply.

the intel nic on the asus would have to be reset every time i booted into windows and a host of other bugs. Problems i am not having with this gigabyte board. these first gen boards are buggy period. Having all power saving features turned off should fix any so called "haswell compatible" features. I am pretty sure not everyone is swapping out their psu's with these new boards but whatever works.

I had random restarts when I had XMP profiles enabled for RAM. Disabling XMP and setting speed and main timings manually has resolved the problem.

Not exactly but boy am I have a lot of problems with this board. I now realize the value of my asus' superior programming and ability to speak english :>

Here's a link to my problem.. in detail...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1759880/problem-z87x-ud4h-microcenter-ssd.html

Anyone know wtf I should do?

I would love to help but cant read your post on Toms it keeps taking me to some index page.....displays your post for a hal second and then automatically goes to some forum index.

Not exactly but boy am I have a lot of problems with this board. I now realize the value of my asus' superior programming and ability to speak english :>

Here's a link to my problem.. in detail...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1759880/problem-z87x-ud4h-microcenter-ssd.html

Anyone know wtf I should do?

As far as usb ports, sometimes it will detect my kb/ms are there, other times it doesnt. Woulda been nice for a few 2.0 usb ports as it seems it's a problem with 3.0 ports.

Did you set in bios to enable all usb ports during bootup? There is an option for legacy ports also. I know it will take longer to boot but if it works, it's worth a shot.

As far as usb ports, sometimes it will detect my kb/ms are there, other times it doesnt. Woulda been nice for a few 2.0 usb ports as it seems it's a problem with 3.0 ports.

Did you set in bios to enable all usb ports during bootup? There is an option for legacy ports also. I know it will take longer to boot but if it works, it's worth a shot.

The motherboard has a header for front panel USB 2.0 and I tried using those as well for keyboard/mouse. Still get scenarios where I'm trying to install windows, or it asks me to insert bootable media and press a key, and neither keyboard nor mouse respond. I will look for this "enable all USB ports during bootup" option in the bios.

I ran with this board for a month straight with no problems at all. I also ran an Asus Z87 Pro and now an Asus Maximus VI Hero problem free.
Do you guys belong to a cult where everyone has red hair, glasses and a beard, that likes to create problems so you have something to do ? I don't get it. Is it fashionable or hip to create/have problems to solve ?
I've been building PC's for 8 years and honestly in all that time the only one I had any 'trouble' with was my first.
I have owned at least 100 motherboards and CPU's and only one board was defective. I'll stick with the adage that 99% of PC problems reported on forums and user reviews are caused by the builder/user 100% of the time.

Last edited:
I ran with this board for a month straight with no problems at all. I also ran an Asus Z87 Pro and now an Asus Maximus VI Hero problem free.
Do you guys belong to a cult where everyone has red hair, glasses and a beard, that likes to create problems so you have something to do ? I don't get it. Is it fashionable or hip to create/have problems to solve ?
I've been building PC's for 8 years and honestly in all that time the only one I had any 'trouble' with was my first.
I have owned at least 100 motherboards and CPU's and only one board was defective. I'll stick with the adage that 99% of PC problems reported on forums and user reviews are caused by the builder/user 100% of the time.

Well I've been building for a good while, probably 5-7 years depending, not a whole lot of builds though about 8. But generally I only build for family and myself. My last build went pretty problem free, my biggest problem was one of the GPU's was faulty. That was on an asus p8p67 pro. Pleasurable experience, as was this build right up until I started setting it up... Things went wrong in all kinds of ways! I can assure you everything was done by the numbers. Can thank my OCD for that. That's why it's so frustrating. Doing everything right and then bam! Surprise problems. Filthy wizards.

I scored on an open box deal. Was missing the SLI/Xfire cable and the box was a little wrinkly but the MB itself looks brand new and everything else was in the box.

I would have bought a 4670k or a 4770k to go with it but California MC has the price jacked way up from the WEB site pricing so I didn't get any CPUs.

I have a return window to go to return if it doesn't work out so I figured I have nothing to lose. Should have the MB up and running in a few days. I have a 4770k that I have been over clocking with a Gigabyte Z87X-OC so I am excited to see how the UD4H over clocks for comparison.

Sucks that California MC has all their Haswell CPU pricing jacked up. In store the 4670k was $219.99 and the 4770k was $339.99.

I dont know what world you live in, but the world i live in has motherboard manufacturers that update their bios pretty often on release and bring out new motherboards when they cant fix something through firmware. You must belong to an elite group of builders where all your builds are just perfect, no tweaking is involved and you never have to worry because you are just that good. Please get off your high horse. We don't just make this shit up for giggles.

I have been running this board for a little while now and have had no issues at all! Running like a champ with XMP profile enabled.

Yeah I wouldn't be that harsh, there's definitely flaky hardware and flaky hardware combinations out there. It's relatively common for BIOS makers to release BIOS updates before newer hardware is compatible with the board, so if you don't happen to have compatible hardware with the launch BIOS, you can run into a LOT of problems.

Also, some people do have more experience building PCs than others and take some of their knowledge and expertise and troubleshooting for granted. Things that may come easy or naturally that you think nothing of may not be so obvious to others. For example, I can't even remember if I had to use another USB KB or not to load the initial BIOS, but I know that is one of the first things I would try in troubleshooting as I have run into some problems in the past with Logitech gaming keyboards being recognized in the BIOS.

I have been running this board for a little while now and have had no issues at all! Running like a champ with XMP profile enabled.
Nice, what BIOS version are you running? Are you overclocking at all? I have Ballistix Elite so it should have similar XMP timings, Gigabye may have fixed the XMP issues in one of their latest BIOS revisions as I know memory performance/compat was a big focus of their F6 betas.

Haha yeah I dunno who mothman is directing that too.
All my builds have POSTed on the first try. My build experience is over 10 years (since the painted Palominos), so yeah not sure where he was coming from haha. It's just that either GB/Intel fucked up the video init.

E.g. F3 if you have a 780 plugged in, there was no video on EITHER 780 or IGP. Pull-out the 780, IGP port suddenly works. All those suggestion about changing memory slots/removing peripherals is a typical TL;dr response from people who didn't read that my parts came from a WORKING PULL.

In the end, the best advice came from Sin0822 on OCN was the only one who actually read through my post and answered. [H] is just mostly hot-air these days, nothing like the Athlon XP days where people actually came and posted with solutions :p Sin also (in one of his Z87 reviews) talked about putting your KB on the front panel connectors to catch BIOS in time.

Though it seems F7 POSTs fairly slowly once I add all my HDs, so it's pretty much at UD3R speed now hahah. Anyway, now that I'm set, I can finally get to overclocking.

Haha yeah I dunno who mothman is directing that too.
All my builds have POSTed on the first try. My build experience is over 10 years (since the painted Palominos), so yeah not sure where he was coming from haha. It's just that either GB/Intel fucked up the video init.

E.g. F3 if you have a 780 plugged in, there was no video on EITHER 780 or IGP. Pull-out the 780, IGP port suddenly works. All those suggestion about changing memory slots/removing peripherals is a typical TL;dr response from people who didn't read that my parts came from a WORKING PULL.

In the end, the best advice came from Sin0822 on OCN was the only one who actually read through my post and answered. [H] is just mostly hot-air these days, nothing like the Athlon XP days where people actually came and posted with solutions :p Sin also (in one of his Z87 reviews) talked about putting your KB on the front panel connectors to catch BIOS in time.

Though it seems F7 POSTs fairly slowly once I add all my HDs, so it's pretty much at UD3R speed now hahah. Anyway, now that I'm set, I can finally get to overclocking.

I just want to add that the F7 solved all my rebooting problems and usb not turning on in time to enter bios. Anyone who is still having trouble with that try the F7 bios.

Hmmm My G15 gaming board is being recognized about 50% of the time with F7..,,this is a great improvement I agree. But still not there. Still have the ps2 keyboard plugged in as a backup.

Hmm. Still slow after going back to F5. Don't know what's up, but it's bedtime. Used @Bios for both flashes.......

Hmm. Still slow after going back to F5. Don't know what's up, but it's bedtime. Used @Bios for both flashes.......

I have had no problem updating BIOS using the Q flash method. Make sure you do a clear CMOS after your do your flash and make sure you system is stable before you flash.

Picked up an i5 and ud4h bundle for $274 tax free in Boston. They still have about 15 mobos on the shelf.

Back