HOT!!! Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H $114 @ Microcenter !

Just went down to the Tustin store and got ud4h + 4670k, $114 + 219 -$40 for combo, came to about $318 after tax. Sweet deal if the board is good. My last build was with asus p8p67 pro + 2600k, loved the board and bios. We'll see how this one does.

Edit: The online price for 4670k says 199, but at the store the sales rep told me their store prices were a little higher, (219) idk if I got jipped or what, but not a huge diff I guess.

I caved and bought an open box with $40 off. CPU $199 mobo 51.96

total with gas and tax $276

problem: NO BACKPLATE with the mobo!!
any idea where I can get one ?

Backplate??? Unless you meant I/O shield. Ebay is one place that comes to mind.

Edit: You can also try contacting gigabyte for one.

Edit: The online price for 4670k says 199, but at the store the sales rep told me their store prices were a little higher, (219) idk if I got jipped or what, but not a huge diff I guess.

No that is the correct price. The Tustin store became lame starting July of this year....they jacked up the prices for all their processors....while the 23 other MC's still honor the website pricing.

Am I the only person that does this?

I could have sworn my board was DOA. I was about ready to return it. Took me 30 min to realize that I had not plugged in the 12V ATX connector thingy. Like the 3rd time this has happened to me.

Am I the only person that does this?

I could have sworn my board was DOA. I was about ready to return it. Took me 30 min to realize that I had not plugged in the 12V ATX connector thingy. Like the 3rd time this has happened to me.

I put my RAM in the slots not closest to the processor socket...it rebooted about 10 times in a row before I realized what I'd done.

I know I'm being nit picky, but here it goes....

I decided not to go with this combo, even after the INCREDIBLE price....while doing research, I found out Gigabyte boards DO NOT come with adaptive voltage....which is the new Haswell feature that only modifies the turbo voltage...basically its better than the "offset" voltage that we all come to love. To me, thats like a slap in the face from Gigabyte....its a Haswell feature, this SHOULD be on the board, theres no excuse.

Anyway, this is a great deal for those who can look past that. Grab them while it's hot.

I decided not to go with this combo, even after the INCREDIBLE price....while doing research, I found out Gigabyte boards DO NOT come with adaptive voltage....which is the new Haswell feature that only modifies the turbo voltage...basically its better than the "offset" voltage that we all come to love. To me, thats like a slap in the face from Gigabyte....its a Haswell feature, this SHOULD be on the board, theres no excuse.

Anyway, this is a great deal for those who can look past that. Grab them while it's hot.

You say that, but look at anandtechs review of z87 boards.

The gigabyte board was far and away the lowest power consumption under idle and load. That's why I jumped on this one.

Last edited:
The Houston microcenter is awesome.

So I decided I wanted to return my open box mobo I got for $52 (after 40 off) b/c I wanted a new one, with IO shied (gigabyte wanted $9)
The open box one I got had NOTHING, manuals, everything was gone and the box was real torn up. I didn't want to take chances on the hardware in the future due to ESD damage....

I was going to pay the $25 difference and swap for a new one

When I got there, they had jacked up the price again. Uh oh. Guy said yesterday's price was a mistake. Anyways he says I can get the old price.

I bring my open box and a new one to exchanges and it's discovered there is a bent pin on the open box board. I had just finished testing it and it worked fine. The tech WOULD NOT TEST IT.

I don't know how the bent pin got there, but I don't THINK I did it.

Anyway, store general manager finally comes, says be careful and tells them to exchange it. So I got a new one at the open box price! woot.

Going to sell my golden i5-2500k and P8Z68-v LX to recoup some costs.

My Bios has an adaptive voltage setting....I think whatever you read was wrong. I have a UD4H.

My Bios has an adaptive voltage setting....I think whatever you read was wrong. I have a UD4H.

Could you enter your BIOS and take a quick picture of it? I've read on multiple sites that Gigabyte does not have adaptive voltage for Z87

Amazing price for this board, I got mine for $120 a few days after launch due to a flier error, but this really kills that deal. I doubt you will find a better combo price for the life of Haswell, even after the 4770K drops to $230 as it will eventually. Been running it since launch with a 4770K and it's been great after a few set-up hiccups that I resolved along the way.

Here's a few tips I figured out along the way for those that get this board and need to tweak it.

1) Update your BIOS. F5 was the first stable release for many, for that board and most others in the UD line it looks like Gigabyte has settled on F6 as the latest stable BIOS.

2) Don't use XMP profiles. Will result in all kinds of flakiness and instability, from corrupted audio to random restarts and bluescreens (blaming Nvidia drivers, no less). This was actually pretty crippling until I figured it out.

3) Adjust Intel NIC settings in Device Manager to fix sleep and instant wake from sleep issues. If your computer went to Sleep and woke right back up, it's the WoL settings in the Device Manager properties for the NIC. Toggle off the WoL settings and you should be good to go.

4) ALWAYS make sure to set the SATA controller to RAID after BIOS flash or porting drives from an old build if you are using any RAID0 arrays. Unlike previous Intel chipsets, Z87 RAID controller does allow you to boot to an OS install set to RAID, even when the controller is set to legacy or AHCI. In the past this would usually BSOD and fail to boot. As a result, your RAID disks will almost guaranteed lose the RAID metadata and be corrupted if you boot to Windows in AHCI mode. Even using various tools to recover the RAID metadata like testdisk did not work, even though I had success with them in the past.

I also haven't been impacted by the USB 3.0 wake from sleep bug on 2 enclosures/docks, although only one of them is USB 3.0. Also no problems with USB devices (mice, kb) being recognized after wake, since all of the native ports on this board are USB 3.0 some may be concerned. If it becomes an issue I may raise a stink about it to get a C2 replacement but for now I'm very happy with the board.

Z87 is a great platform and worth an upgrade if you're not already on SB/IVB already. Haswell itself wasn't all that great of an improvement, but 6xSATA6G is just pure awesome. 1400MB/s seq reads and 500MB/s seq writes on a 3xHyperX SSD RAID0 array is just awesome for a gaming/video scratch array, all with SATA6G ports to spare for my Samsung 840 boot drive and 2x WD Blacks in RAID0.

They do have adaptive voltage, there's a BIOS setting for "static" voltage which is your traditional hard set voltage and "offset" voltage which allows you to modify the normal C-state voltages by a fixed offset that retains dynamic changes.

Thanks for the picture...but thats not adaptive voltage, that is offset voltage....which was introduced way back in P67.

Hmm I guess I'm not sure what you are asking for then. Everything I've read about adaptive voltage is the same as offset voltage at max + SpeedStep voltage, where the offset only kicks in when the core is running at max set speeds.

Are you asking for a full auto mode based on clockspeed? The BIOS has that as well, but everything I've seen and read indicates the voltages Gigabyte set are far too aggressive for the various overclock bins.

The Houston microcenter is awesome.

So I decided I wanted to return my open box mobo I got for $52 (after 40 off) b/c I wanted a new one, with IO shied (gigabyte wanted $9)
The open box one I got had NOTHING, manuals, everything was gone and the box was real torn up. I didn't want to take chances on the hardware in the future due to ESD damage....

I was going to pay the $25 difference and swap for a new one

When I got there, they had jacked up the price again. Uh oh. Guy said yesterday's price was a mistake. Anyways he says I can get the old price.

I bring my open box and a new one to exchanges and it's discovered there is a bent pin on the open box board. I had just finished testing it and it worked fine. The tech WOULD NOT TEST IT.

I don't know how the bent pin got there, but I don't THINK I did it.

Anyway, store general manager finally comes, says be careful and tells them to exchange it. So I got a new one at the open box price! woot.

Going to sell my golden i5-2500k and P8Z68-v LX to recoup some costs.
Are you saying they you told the sale price of $114.99 listed on the website was/is a price error?

Last edited:
I went in on Tuesday to get this combo, they told me the UD4H price was a mistake and they could not honor it. My friend wanted to pickup something the next day there so I tagged along. Ended up getting it at the correct price of 74.99 with the purchase of a 4670k. The next day after that my friend picked up the same deal, now today my other friend got in on the same deal. I'm sure they are still honoring the deal, at least at the Dallas store.

Yeah just sounds like managers/store associates being dicks about it. When I checked out, it was auto-applied at the register, no over-ride necessary :p

Shame about the Tustin pricing variance, that just sucks haha.

Hmm I guess I'm not sure what you are asking for then. Everything I've read about adaptive voltage is the same as offset voltage at max + SpeedStep voltage, where the offset only kicks in when the core is running at max set speeds.

Are you asking for a full auto mode based on clockspeed? The BIOS has that as well, but everything I've seen and read indicates the voltages Gigabyte set are far too aggressive for the various overclock bins.

There are negative offsets available.

Anyways my 4670k seems pretty stable at 45x100, and allows light desktop work at 46x100, but crashes if I run IBT or AIDA64 stability test, vcore set to 1.2v for simplicity's sake. Going to read up on haswell OCing and see if I can't wring a little more out of her.

Just bought this today. i5 4570 and 8gb (2x4) of DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix. Hopefully this will be a large improvement over my Q6600. Mobo was $75, CPU $199, memory $65. $368 total at the Overland Park, KS Microcenter.

Just bought this today. i5 4570 and 8gb (2x4) of DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix. Hopefully this will be a large improvement over my Q6600. Mobo was $75, CPU $199, memory $65. $368 total at the Overland Park, KS Microcenter.
I gained a whopping 1.6fps over my 4 year old i7-950 results in Unigine Valley!

I gained a whopping 1.6fps over my 4 year old i7-950 results in Unigine Valley!

You won't see much improvement on gpu focused bench marks. You should see lower system power usage and higher performance on cpu type benchmarks. Most future mark benchmark scores should improve.

Last edited:
Almost done with the build:

i5-4670k
z87x-ud4h
gskill 8gb (2x4gb) 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 1.5v
MSI R6950 2gb Ref. (Upgrading eventually)
Corsair AX750
Adata 64gb sata II SSD (System) (Upgrading eventually)
Samsung 1tb HDD (Storage)
Random DVD RW drive, haven't picked one yet.
CM Hyper 212+
Fractal Design Define R4

Just waiting for cooler to arrive and I need to pick out a dvd burner.

So far on a purely physical side, I'm very pleased with the motherboard, very sturdy and hefty looking. Makes me feel satisfied with my purchase. And aesthetically it don't look bad. Black some red, small bits of polished metal. Memory is red with some black so win. GPU black and red too. ;P

The fractal r4 is really a very nice middle ground case to work in. Feel like I'm 100% sure I'm going to need to add at least 1 fan to the front of the case, and then perhaps 1 top-rear exhaust if I need it. If gpu gets too hot there's a spot right below the gpu intake for a case fan, so that should solve that.

Can't wait to fire up.

Anywho how does a full time 100% safe overclock of uhh let's say 4.2-4.4 @ 1.2v sound?

You want see much improvement on gpu focused bench marks. You should see lower system power usage and higher performance on cpu type benchmarks. Most future mark benchmark scores should improve.

Yeah, the 4670k CRUSHES my old 950's FPU scores.

Last edited:
bitch()

Anyone else find it way too hard to get in the BIOS? I sit there and press del over and over and sometimes it skips.

Then my keyboard doesn't work half the time while in the BIOS (kb is fine)

My CPU doesn't seem stable at 4400mhz. way too hot, too.
Now testing
1.23 v,
1.1v uncore
40x uncore; since it doesn't seem to go below 40x anyway despite setting 34)
+.15 too all three analog, digital, system agent things
1.67 vddr
old patriot viper 1866 memory

CPU ring uncore voltage and ratio and both fucked. I have uncore set to 34, yet CPUz shows 4000 MHz. And uncore voltage is not clear at all. I can have 1.05 set, but EZTUNE will show something completely different?

UEFI rapid storage RAID does not work. Might call gigabyte?
when I set "Windows 8" and disable CSM (compatability managet thing) the board will just lock up requiring CMOS reset

/bitch

What BIOS are you running? I updated to F6 after reading chizow's post. Although I have not been overclocking yet. The bootsplash is quick, but it's a welcome after my P35 board which sat for several seconds.

This really is an incredible jump from my Q6600.

What BIOS are you running? I updated to F6 after reading chizow's post. Although I have not been overclocking yet. The bootsplash is quick, but it's a welcome after my P35 board which sat for several seconds.

This really is an incredible jump from my Q6600.

F6

F3 was basically useless. F3 had same UEFI storage problem.

@okashira, it'll be very difficult to get over 4.3GHz or so without delidding your processor, especially if you need to get it 1.2+v to get it stable. Haswell just spikes to 90+C and quickly hits 100C TjMAX no matter what kind of cooling you have due to the thermal paste acting basically as an insulator that just can't dissipate heat fast enough. As a result, you can't even test for stability without delidding because you hit 100C and the CPU starts throttling down to Un-OC'd max turbo of 3.9GHz.

I swapped from a Antec 620 to Corsair H100i and it hasn't made any difference in max temp under load, all it does is make my idle temps lower and allow my CPU to drop back down to low sub 40C temps sooner (literally seconds after stopping P95 or LinX).

Personally, I would just set it to 4.2 to 4.3 and call it a day unless you want to take the leap and de-lid which can drop your temps under load 15-20C.

As for the fast BIOS, I find just hitting DEL every second, not too fast works pretty well in catching the BIOS. You mainly want to hit it during the Gigabyte Splash screens before and after the Intel RAID BIOS. You can also disable any of the fast boot options until you are done tweaking to give yourself a bit more time to get into the BIOS.

I found my KB wouldn't initialize in time to let me into the bios when it was plugged into the blue USB 3.0 ports, I had to plug it into one of the USB 2.0 front panel ports on my case to get into the bios. Tried it with a USB to PS/2 adapter before I thought to try the USB 2.0 ports, the adapter didn't work.

So I have the UD4H + 4670K (everything else is the same from my sig).
I'm POSTing just fine, but don't seem to be getting display. Post code is AE.

With the DVI to the 780, I don't get a signal (monitor power LED is blinking).
With the DVI hooked to the back panel DVI-port (presumably for iGPU), the Catleap seems to receive signal but the display remains blank.

All parts are working pulls, so my suspicions are purely on the new hardware haha.

Any thoughts guys? I'm gonna put my 580 in as a test when I get back home tonight, but I doubt that's the issue :p

@okashira, it'll be very difficult to get over 4.3GHz or so without delidding your processor, especially if you need to get it 1.2+v to get it stable. Haswell just spikes to 90+C and quickly hits 100C TjMAX no matter what kind of cooling you have due to the thermal paste acting basically as an insulator that just can't dissipate heat fast enough. As a result, you can't even test for stability without delidding because you hit 100C and the CPU starts throttling down to Un-OC'd max turbo of 3.9GHz.

I swapped from a Antec 620 to Corsair H100i and it hasn't made any difference in max temp under load, all it does is make my idle temps lower and allow my CPU to drop back down to low sub 40C temps sooner (literally seconds after stopping P95 or LinX).

Personally, I would just set it to 4.2 to 4.3 and call it a day unless you want to take the leap and de-lid which can drop your temps under load 15-20C.

As for the fast BIOS, I find just hitting DEL every second, not too fast works pretty well in catching the BIOS. You mainly want to hit it during the Gigabyte Splash screens before and after the Intel RAID BIOS. You can also disable any of the fast boot options until you are done tweaking to give yourself a bit more time to get into the BIOS.

Thanks for the reply. Turns out I'm still getting failues at 4.4 ghz in Prime95. I jacked up the volts again to ~1.25 and set memory back to 1333. Crash.

I have tried hitting del rapidly, once per second, twice per seconds, every way you can imagine. It just ignores my input. I will be looking at the splash screen, hit del, and nothing.

I don't have a problem with delidding. But, I don't want to delid If I got a shit processer. Sigh...

You are right it is pretty clear the paste is an issue. The chip has no thermal inertia. give it load and it hits max temps right away.

I found my KB wouldn't initialize in time to let me into the bios when it was plugged into the blue USB 3.0 ports, I had to plug it into one of the USB 2.0 front panel ports on my case to get into the bios. Tried it with a USB to PS/2 adapter before I thought to try the USB 2.0 ports, the adapter didn't work.

THANKS, will try that.

So I have the UD4H + 4670K (everything else is the same from my sig).
I'm POSTing just fine, but don't seem to be getting display. Post code is AE.

With the DVI to the 780, I don't get a signal (monitor power LED is blinking).
With the DVI hooked to the back panel DVI-port (presumably for iGPU), the Catleap seems to receive signal but the display remains blank.

All parts are working pulls, so my suspicions are purely on the new hardware haha.

Any thoughts guys? I'm gonna put my 580 in as a test when I get back home tonight, but I doubt that's the issue :p

Plug in the 12V atx connector? :-D vid card connectors?

Everything's plugged in haha. I tested the IGP and a 2nd monitor even. Cleared CMOS more than a few times. If I don't figure it out in a few hours, I'm returning everything to MC.

Really disappointing to say the least.

100% solved my problem, thanks. Now goes to bios and keyboard works in BIOS!!

Everything's plugged in haha. I tested the IGP and a 2nd monitor even. Cleared CMOS more than a few times. If I don't figure it out in a few hours, I'm returning everything to MC.

Really disappointing to say the least.

Take it in and have MS test it. Careful with the pins lol

So Sin0822 recommended I run with the 780 removed. Success - finally I'm getting video. Awfully fickle behavior just to get display working lmao. Now to figure out what to change in BIOS before I can go back to using my 780. A card that worked just fine, no fuss no muss, on my P55 board :p

Last edited:
So Sin0822 recommended I run with the 780 removed. Success - finally I'm getting video. Awfully fickle behavior just to get display working lmao. Now to figure out what to change in BIOS before I can go back to using my 780. A card that worked just fine, no fuss no muss, on my P55 board :p

Might want to try the 780 again in another board?

Try updating the BIOS first if you haven't already. The 780 is a newer release and definitely wasn't out when these shipping BIOSes were created (Mar13 I believe). Not uncommon that BIOS updates fix compatibility with some GPUs. After updating your BIOS, you can also check the PCIe Init settings and set it to PCIe1 or whatever slot you have your 780.

@okashira - glad you got your keyboard working, that's a bit of a deal-breaker for most people, hopefully it was just your board or model of keyboard. I think later BIOS may have changed the USB 3.0 controller init sequence and compatibility, because I don't recall having to do that on my rig, although come to think of it, I do think I had to use my gf's Logitech Illuminated KB at first to get into the BIOS (my KB is the G110). Not a completely uncommon bug until they do some BIOS updates, my Classified 760 had similar issues at first.

Back