[HOT] Fullsized RGB Mech. Keyboard with Outemu for $25.99 on Amazon!

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by Mut1ny, May 13, 2018.

1. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

change to white and turn the brightness down a bit. still quiet?

2. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

Wow.....that's hard to believe lol....post a video with your phone! I got to hear that lol

Deleted member 88301 likes this.
  3. I tried what you suggested, switched to "white," which seems more like off-yellow/tan. Then lowered the brightness, raised it, no noise. I then tried that with every color. Same.

I appreciate the suggestion, trust me. A high freq whine would just drive me batshit insane. Even though I was in the military I still have really good hearing.

To be honest, I love this keyboard.

Cons, so far: Space bar is a bit clunky, but works fine. Num Lock, Caps, etc. lights are too bright. I may do something about that.

pendragon1 likes this.
  4. As I have nothing to compare this KB to, I'm very happy. I'm sure that a $125 + K95 is much better, I understand that.

5. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Better is somewhat relative. In general build quality, I'll say yes. However, Corsair's firmware and CUE software suck ass.

6. Well, I've used the KB for general use and gaming.

I am 100% happy. No noise. First mech.

7. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I got my ferrite filter. Evidently, when I pulled it out of the box the cable was tied up in such a way as I missed the ferrite filter before. So mine definitely has one built into the cable. Secondly, I tried my filter and it reduced the noise but didn't eliminate it. I turned the brightness down and that helped a lot, but the noise is still present and probably headache inducing. I put it back in the box. This thing is a no go for me.

8. That's too bad. But I totally understand. That kind of head splitting noise would have driven me nuts.

I got two extra key switches, but no key puller, like others seemed to have received. No biggy, at least mine doesn't whine.

9. If the noise is being caused by a pwm chip them a simple capacitor in parallel on the output driver chip will solve the issue. This is a very simple fix if you have a soldering iron.

10. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

An unexpected benefit to the noise is now I always know when my computer is on, even if I'm not looking in that direction :p

wra18th and Deleted member 88301 like this.
  11. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

Keyboard arrived and I am very happy with the build quality and the lighting. I do have a slight whine around the number pad area but it isn't bad at all.

12. I finally see what all the fuss is about when it comes to mechanical keyboards. I'll never get a non-mechanical again. I still can't believe that this thing was under 30 bucks.

What kind of switches are used for the space-bar ant Enter key?

cageymaru likes this.
  13. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

If I take it apart and post some pics, are you onboard to help me with the info to mod it?

14. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Here are the necessary tools
    hammers-250x250.jpg

15. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

and youll need one of these to attach the cap ;)

glue_gun_gg5.jpg

16. Shouldn't be that hard but i can't make guarantees. You can pick up the caps you need on Amazon. You can figure out which chip it is by tracing the leads from the LED. Or just Google every chip number on the board.

LEDs are current source devices. You can modulate their brightness two ways. Pwm or lower the current. A cap attached to the positive leg output would average the voltage and make it a current circuit over a pwm one. Just make sure the cap is rated higher than 5 volts. A 22uF should do the job but that all depends on the pwm output frequency.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_1.html

17. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

I'll give it a peek tomorrow.

18. What kind of switches are used for the space-bar and Enter key? They feel much different.

19. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They really do, but I haven't checked how they are different. I think it is largely because the extra leverage afforded by the larger keys and the bar used to keep the keys leveled inside.

20. Yeah, I'm not going to chance popping the two off to check.

21. RamonGTP

I added another ferrite clamp right where the cable enters the keyboard. No change. Luckily it doesn't bother me enough to do anything else about it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  22. northwoodsf

northwoodsf [H]Lite

Looks good. Will pick one up in a minute. Thanks.

23. I picked one up for my nephew and tested it yesterday. It did have a small high pitched hum but I had to have my ear next to it to hear it.

Btw I just realized the capacitor idea won't work due to the low voltages. Averaging the voltage to a value below 3.5V would like prevent the LEDs from lighting at all. I'm used to working with 12v where I can pull those tricks.

24. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

25. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

Mine got replaced. It's nice and quiet now.

26. RamonGTP

Good to know, did you return it back to Amazon?

27. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

got it delivered already today hopefully not loaded with water lol due to rain and I am at work...

cageymaru likes this.
  28. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

That one seems promising, but keep in mind that it’s not true RGB. If that doesn’t bother you, then I say give it a shot.

This is the model that several of us picked up around this time last year: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X18XY4R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fRUeBb94QSJNW

I wanted to try the Outemu blue switches and at the time, the price was so low (around $30) that I went ahead and picked up two of them. It’s an awesome keyboard for that price, but at the current price of $53 it’s not quite the steal that it was then.

29. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

No. I contacted the seller directly as per the instruction sheet inside the box. And they just sent me another one.

30. RamonGTP

An interesting occurrence I just discovered... While I didn't notice any difference adding the extra ferrite filter, I kept it on their in the name of lazyism. I have this keyboard on an old spare parts build with a Radeon HD 6950 and an i7 860 @ 3.5GHz. I was playing some COD4 last night (the original Modern Warfare) and noticed some fairly significant artifacting in-game. I simply thought the card was starting to fail, it is after all several years old so it wouldn't surprise me. I kept playing through it, while in the back of my mind thinking if I should buy a used 970 to put in here or just scrap the build all together since I just use it for fun, don't particularly need it.

I was just about to get my Saturday started and decided I wanted to play a quick round of COD4 before leaving the house, powered that same box on, heard the whine from the keyboard when the LED's came on and remembered "oh wait, I should play on my other PC, video card on this one is starting to fail" then it occurred to me... I didn't have any issues with this card until the moment I added that extra filter. I removed the filter and just finished a round of COD with no graphics corruption to speak of.

Clearly these filters do SOMETHING, but clearly simply adding one isn't always a good idea either.

31. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

Yep shortly after I posted I saw that it is not true RGB so this on is out. I contacted the seller directly so hopefully I can get this one replaced for one that doesn't whine.

Update: Reply from the seller:

I am very sorry that there is no way to solve this problem.
    90% of products have this defect. This batch of products is processed below the cost because of a defect in one of the capacitors used to control the RGB light.
    There will be no noise after turning off the lights.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  32. YeuEmMaiMai

got home box was outside and SOAKED to the BONE... Thankfully the inner box was fairly dry and the foam kept the water off of the keyboard.

100% noise free and sounds totally awesome.... CLICK CLICKITY CLICK

33. Just accidentally found out that <FN> + 1, 2, or 3 will set only WASD or other keys to be lit.

Also, is anybody else a bit annoyed at the brightness of the Caps, Num Lock, etc status lights? Too bright for my liking. I tried a black sharpie marker, did nothing.

34. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They are really bright, but at minimum settings the thing isn't too bad.

35. YeuEmMaiMai

man Amazon must be selling these things like hotcakes, lol OOS yesterday and back today...

36. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

The item description has now been updated to include the sound defect. I am still returning since that was not in the description when I originally ordered.

37. YeuEmMaiMai

I would still buy it.. as I know how to fix the whine issue lol

38. You can custom program those keys using the FN + Camcorder button. As always rtfm