**HOT** Free Windows Vista

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Link

Microsoft has 100,000 downloads of Vista pre-RC1

You don;t have to Enter the CD KEY. Select no CD KEY

No x64 version? Pfffft......Wait a minute.....

What's this?

Am I blind, or does that give a link to the x64 version? But oddly enough, the iso file is called akamai_temp.iso - but it's 3 gig....

Akamai is the name of the downloading program that they're partnering with, isn't it?

Currently downloading this build @ 1.12Mb/sec...:)

Gotta love DS3's.

Nalif said:

What's this?

Am I blind, or does that give a link to the x64 version? But oddly enough, the iso file is called akamai_temp.iso - but it's 3 gig....

Akamai is the name of the downloading program that they're partnering with, isn't it?
The x64 link in that directory has the same file name as the x86 link, but it's in a different directory. I'm not sure what the difference is between the x86 link on the page you linked to and the link in the OP.

Do you have to have a x64 setup to use this OS? If so, its time to build my rig again - had to sell it when I moved because the girl wanted me to.

what does it mean by pre-RC1?

edit: Pre-Release Candidate 1. Does that mean it's just a beta before the official first version release of Vista?

kumquat said:
The x64 link in that directory has the same file name as the x86 link, but it's in a different directory. I'm not sure what the difference is between the x86 link on the page you linked to and the link in the OP.

I noticed that too - apparently a x64 version exists, but you have to be part of the actual beta team or something. I read about it on some other forum.

Still, it's 3 gigs - so it'll be interesting to see what it actually is. And right now I'm getting it at 1108kb a sec, so it's no big deal :D

mayakindaguy said:
what does it mean by pre-RC1?

edit: Pre-Release Candidate 1. Does that mean it's just a beta before the official first version release of Vista?

It's just another milestone name that Microsoft uses.

Beta 1 -> Beta 2 -> RC1 -> RC2 -> Final (RTM)

So pre-RC1 is just a build in between Beta 2 and RC1. In other words, it's a beta before a few more betas before the release :p

DarkSide50420 said:
30% done man i cant wait..

now to burn a iso i cant remember if i need a cd-rw or dvd-rw?
unless you can fit 3gb on a cd-rw....

...... here's your sign.

JuniorMC said:
Will the Beta 2 key work?
if its like the windows xp rc1 was, you don't need a key, its just a 180 day trial or something.

Nalif said:

What's this?

Although the directory it's in makes it clear that this too is a Pre-RC1 release, the page says it's an RC-1 release....odd.

I just wonder how long till RC1 comes out.

I believe that I will just wait and pick up vista for $10 or so from my school (academic licenses FTW!!!) ;)

Good stuff though.

It probably actually is rc1.. lol. Not like it matters to microsoft that much what they call it anyhow. Its still a beta and they don't have to support it.

jetjaguar said:
yeah anyone running it yet ?? u dont need a cd key right ?

I mounted the ISO, ran setup.exe, and it asks for a CD key.

on a completely different note - I downloaded the akamai_temp x64 file. However, I have yet to see any proof that it is actually a x64 version. Once the image is mounted, I see this as the CD name: LB2CFRE_EN_DVD. Does this tell anything? I just checked both links from the page I downloaded from. One was a link for x86, one for x64. Both were called akamai_temp.iso, both were the same size. I'm thinking this means they just put up some place holder .iso files.

I don't have the editions in front of me but the one after beta 2 was more stable than pre RC1 for me. :( Infact aside from wrong icons in network adapters I didn't really have too many problems with that one.

The Pre RC1 won't install my wireless adapter and I get constant explorer crashes. Also, for some reason some of the widgets don't work (the calender definitely dind't work on any level and weather didn't update). I formatted and installed a second time just to see if something went wrong.

I think I'm off the vista bandwagon until nex revision

Nalif said:
I mounted the ISO, ran setup.exe, and it asks for a CD key.

on a completely different note - I downloaded the akamai_temp x64 file. However, I have yet to see any proof that it is actually a x64 version. Once the image is mounted, I see this as the CD name: LB2CFRE_EN_DVD. Does this tell anything? I just checked both links from the page I downloaded from. One was a link for x86, one for x64. Both were called akamai_temp.iso, both were the same size. I'm thinking this means they just put up some place holder .iso files.
expensive place holder in terms of bandwidth.

so...what the cd-key... im going to just finish th dl and burn it when i get home tonight fuck man.. i wanted to run this thing....

HighwayAssassins said:
expensive place holder in terms of bandwidth.

Which is exactly what I thought. I put in my CD key and it gave me this message: "Upgrading from Windows XP Professional x64 to Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is not supported. 32-bit setup cannot upgrade the system."

Burning it to a disk and installing anyways I guess. I'll let you know my results.

InorganicMatter said:
So what CD key are we supposed to use to take advantage of this supposedly "free" download?

The beta key from when you signed up a few weeks ago? If you didn't request to try the beta out, I don't think you can get a key anymore. It was posted here a while back.

Back