HOT: Fly to Europe, cheap!

bipolar

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.iberia.com/us/?language=en has some ridiculous rates to fly to Europe right now. Flights from NY - Spain for under $250 round trip. You have to mess with the dates quite a bit to find the best deals but it is absolutely worth it. Currently debating Chicago - Amsterdam round trip at $450 vs. Chicago - Bucharest round trip at $380

no kidding... the money thing is why nobody could go even if the plane tickets were free. round trip tickets on sale? ha... make that a 'get the hell out of this death trap country one way!' sale and i might bite :D

damn i found NY to london for $342, wish i had a passport.

It took me something like 7 business days to get my passport, non-expedited. I think it varies by state though, and Nebraska isn't the most cosmopolitan of locations so there was probably less demand than in a NY or CA

I've found that this is the usual time of year that these sort of deals to Europe run. Comparing to kayak.com Iberia was competitive, within $10.

from slickdealz forums, malaysia airlines is offering a round trip to taiwan (TPE) from LAX for only $427!!!!!! I so want to go!!! But everyone I know is too lame to go :mad: (btw this is an insane price for a trip to taiwan!)

WOW !!!! Nice timing.
A woman I know in Bucharest has asked me to come there for Orthodox Easter. I told her I'd like to, but times are bad here and it's expensive. She told me to "just get there" and her family would take car of the rest. Now, I'll have to seriously think about making the trip.

FYI, Last time I went to Romania it was over $1,400 for economy class.

THANKS OP.

WOW !!!! Nice timing.
A woman I know in Bucharest has asked me to come there for Orthodox Easter. I told her I'd like to, but times are bad here and it's expensive. She told me to "just get there" and her family would take car of the rest. Now, I'll have to seriously think about making the trip.

FYI, Last time I went to Romania it was over $1,400 for economy class.

THANKS OP.

Any recommendations for things to do and see in Romania? I'm leaning towards Bucharest instead of A'dam.

Any recommendations for things to do and see in Romania? I'm leaning towards Bucharest instead of A'dam.
Yea, visit Vlad Dracul's tomb in the Transalvanian mountains :p.

Edit: actually, on a more serious note, i think his castle is a tourist destination...

If you know anybody in the industry you can get buddy passes for these prices all the time, almost always business class, i think i'm looking at 300$ to Amsterdam whenever, they usually trade them like candy. what sucks is when you're in business class and they cut you off, i was trying to drink my planes ticket value in drinks on the plane was working fine till i got cut off hour into the flight bunch of bs i tell you.

Yea, visit Vlad Dracul's tomb in the Transalvanian mountains :p.

Vlad Tepes' tomb is actually on an island monastery near Bucharest. The whole vampire thing was made up by Bram Stoker about Bran Castle and based loosely on Vlad Tepes and a number of folk tales. Of course, Tepes is a hero in Romania and you will find all sorts Dracula type stuff for sale there, especially near Bran Castle.

It's a very scenic country but, unless you are on a guided tour, speak Romanian ( vorbesc putin Romaneste ) or know people there who do ( I know a lovely woman there who happens to be a doctor ), I wouldn't recommend going there because it's not as traveler friendly as most of western europe .

OP, feel free to PM if you want to know more.

US Airways runs international and domestic e-savers for people who book tickets online. They change the depart/destination locations weekly on Wednesday. I subscribed to their mailer after I caught a cheap flight ($70 iirc) from DCA to LGA. Example they had a New York to Paris $290 round trip this week.

how long do you guys think this will last?

Prices were still valid today. Airline prices are impossible to predict though, especially when they are just bargain regular rates (as they seem to be here) and not a specific deal that might tell you when it will end. I'd say book as soon as you can to make sure you don't miss out.

After debating between Amsterdam and Bucharest, just pulled the trigger on Bucharest. So damn excited :)

You really want to travel in the warmer weather anyway, these prices are for winter early spring.
Trust me if your a guy you want the European summer eye-candy. Its worth the extra price.

they dont usually let you take the rental care to romania.. so ive never been! looks fun might plan me another trip to eu

Vlad Tepes' tomb is actually on an island monastery near Bucharest. The whole vampire thing was made up by Bram Stoker about Bran Castle and based loosely on Vlad Tepes and a number of folk tales. Of course, Tepes is a hero in Romania and you will find all sorts Dracula type stuff for sale there, especially near Bran Castle.

It's a very scenic country but, unless you are on a guided tour, speak Romanian ( vorbesc putin Romaneste ) or know people there who do ( I know a lovely woman there who happens to be a doctor ), I wouldn't recommend going there because it's not as traveler friendly as most of western europe .

OP, feel free to PM if you want to know more.

Saying the Romanian people call Vlad Tepes a "hero" is revisionist at best. The main reason you find Dracula/Tepes memorabilia all over is to sell to naive tourists who sum up an the entirety of a culture with a minor historical figure.

Agreed that it is the most untouched, naturally beautiful Eastern European country (or any country on the Continent, for that matter). Also agreed it's not the most hospitable or safest country relative to North American standards in Europe, even if you do "vorbesti romaneste". It's a double edged sword in my view: Romanian's lack of warmth towards foreigners (there are many very understandable historical reasons for this...) has kept tourists at bay, but has also kept the culture relatively uneffected. I do speak Romanian, am by no means a rube (I know how to keep out of trouble) and am a rather large individual: I was in a couple very bad situations when I lived there, and saw bad things happen to tourists more times than I care to remember. My advice would be to stick to the countryside (non-urban areas) if you're not familiar with the country/language/customs -- if you're only going to see Tepes stuff that's ridiculous, but so be it -- check out Sighisoara as it is the most historically related city. Brasov is also a great sky destination -- and the neihboring Peles castle is about as close to a fairytale castle as you can get.

As for this deal, very nice. Too bad the dollar has taking a long walk off a short cliff...

Saying the Romanian people call Vlad Tepes a "hero" is revisionist at best. The main reason you find Dracula/Tepes memorabilia all over is to sell to naive tourists who sum up an the entirety of a culture with a minor historical figure.

Agreed that it is the most untouched, naturally beautiful Eastern European country (or any country on the Continent, for that matter). Also agreed it's not the most hospitable or safest country relative to North American standards in Europe, even if you do "vorbesti romaneste". It's a double edged sword in my view: Romanian's lack of warmth towards foreigners (there are many very understandable historical reasons for this...) has kept tourists at bay, but has also kept the culture relatively uneffected. I do speak Romanian, am by no means a rube (I know how to keep out of trouble) and am a rather large individual: I was in a couple very bad situations when I lived there, and saw bad things happen to tourists more times than I care to remember. My advice would be to stick to the countryside (non-urban areas) if you're not familiar with the country/language/customs -- if you're only going to see Tepes stuff that's ridiculous, but so be it -- check out Sighisoara as it is the most historically related city. Brasov is also a great sky destination -- and the neihboring Peles castle is about as close to a fairytale castle as you can get.

As for this deal, very nice. Too bad the dollar has taking a long walk off a short cliff...

Good info, thanks. I have a good friend who is Romanian and I've been meaning to visit her for awhile, so I won't be trying to cope with the culture solo. I also have some french, and from what I understand a fairly large percentage of Romanians speak either english or french, so I should be in decent shape.

Back