HOT?? E2180 Boxed + ECS 945GCT-M/1333 @ Frys for $78.99

wow awesome deal , I'll have to take back all that crappy stuff I said about fry's. I went today after work and got this combo, I mentioned that I heard they had the 2200 also for same price. Customer Rep said all they had left were the E2200's, awesome!

heres how it rung up
e2200 retail 50.95
ecs 945GCT-M 28.04
tax 6.32
total $85.31

amazing 95 dollar processor for 50 bux , I will have to hit up their combo deals more often , this is like the best deal I have ever gotten at frys, I had given up since I always leave empty handed when I go up there.

Sweet, glad I helped ya out. I always return the ecs board and just keep the chips lol.. my frys allows it here in webster, tx

My local Fry's had both yellow papers up for the E2180 and E2200 combos, same price.

I picked up one of the E2200 combos. It's a pretty nice price for a cheap-o combo. It should be an easy overclock to 2.93GHz @ 1066MHz FSB. Bye bye BE2300.

I might pick up another one tomorrow and downgrade my E4300 system.

edit: talk about fresh CPUs: pack date 01/07/08
edit2: SLA8X "These parts have Extended HALT (C1E) power of 8W" :D

Would the 2200 be better than the 2180? I know the 2180 at 1333 runs at 3.0 with no volt modding. I plan on getting one when I get off work in the morning so any help would be appreciated

Anyone else have trouble returning these motherboards from the combos? How much do you think this one is worth for them? I don't see it sold alone on their site.

I do it but most cant do it I hear. They usually give me 35-45 back on the boards in a gift cert in the store. I then add cash and get a better board if I have cash to spend. If not I will just keep it. The ECS boards have always been good to me. Granted I only play CSS and TF2.

I do it but most cant do it I hear.
I got Fry's to do it once several years ago, but now they're very strict.

There also used to be a loophole where you could exploit the difference between CPU and motherboard return periods. The CPU return period is 15 days and the motherboard return period is 30 days. Someone "returning" the combo after 15 days would be refused on the CPU (oh noes!), but allowed to return the motherboard. That hasn't worked in a while.

These combo deals are only available every once in a while online. I got an P-D 805 combo for pretty cheap from the online store a while ago.

fremont store was advertising the e2180, when I asked for the deal they gave me a e2200. Since the cheap board supports 1333 FSB, I wonder if the processor could as well... that would be 3.6 ghz processor and motherboard for $75.

that is how you OC this board. read up in the forums on the oc. you just set it to 1333 fsb and hits 3+ ghz with no volts from what I read

So..would anyone be willing to pick one up for me for cost of shipping/tax?

Picked one up today in Chicago. They had a ton. Also got the OCZ 2x1gb of RAM for $25 after MIR. The ram is ddr2 800. Will it run on ths motherboard with an overclock? It's worth trying to return the motherboard right?

It should run on the board just fine. I was gonna sale/return my board but instead I will just keep it. I dont really OC anyway.

I picked myself and dyessan up a combo. I will be going back to frys and getting a couple more just to stock up on haha!

fremont store was advertising the e2180, when I asked for the deal they gave me a e2200. Since the cheap board supports 1333 FSB, I wonder if the processor could as well... that would be 3.6 ghz processor and motherboard for $75.

heh, doesn't quite work that way. I've built countless comps using these and similar Fry's combos. It's hard to break ~3.2ghz with ANY motherboard with an e2180 or any e2XXX as they don't always clock as well as a Q6600 or other newer 6x00 series. The highest OC's I've gotten on these cheap combos with an E2x00 CPU and cheap ECS mobo regardless with chipset is about 266 X multiplier (9/10/11). With no volt mods for Vcore, MCH, and overall mediocre mobo quality it's just not gonna happen. It's still quite a steal for $78 though, my e2180 is running at 10X250 prime stable and a previous 2160 was running at 9X266.

If you guys are finding threads of people just setting the FSB to 1333 (333X4 quad-pumped), and getting stable OC's with no volt mods on almost free mobos please post some prime stable links :)

These come with the non-via chipset boards. They are actually decent boards so far from what I have played with.

There also used to be a loophole where you could exploit the difference between CPU and motherboard return periods. The CPU return period is 15 days and the motherboard return period is 30 days. Someone "returning" the combo after 15 days would be refused on the CPU (oh noes!), but allowed to return the motherboard. That hasn't worked in a while.

Hilarious! :D
Me: Yes I'd like to return this combo.
Manager :rolleyes: : But sir, you are overdue on the time alloted for CPU returns.
Me: But I insist!
Manager :rolleyes: : Impossible
Me: How about this GREAT motherboard? Still crispy fresh in the box you know.
Manager :rolleyes: : FINE!
Me: OK you win!

Hehe Ok, so people don't talk like that, but it's funny.

I am going to try to return the motherboard tomorrow I think. I need help on what to say. I figured maybe I would say I called support and the support was terrible, I exchanged it yesterday (sunday) for a new one and it was bad as well, add in the typical I am a good customer, you need to make a smart business decision and let me return this garbage.

What else?

Also, did anyone else get this and actually run the the motherboard? How is it? I may either try it if the return doesn't work or ebay it for about $25-30.

The mobo is actually good man. Keep it as a backup or try to return it. Its always good to have a backup that did not actually cost you any money.

Anyone try overclocking it? I want to see if I can OC it an run without a video card for an HTPC.

Got one the other day! E2200 and noticed that there are no is no way to OC in the bios! So I did the bsel mod and slapped her in and booted right up 2926mhz@266mhz-p95 for 24hrs no errors! Vcore runs from 1.1v-1.25. Speedstep is pretty neat-idle @ 1500mhz and then jumps up to full speed when you need it.

heh, doesn't quite work that way. I've built countless comps using these and similar Fry's combos. It's hard to break ~3.2ghz with ANY motherboard with an e2180 or any e2XXX as they don't always clock as well as a Q6600 or other newer 6x00 series. The highest OC's I've gotten on these cheap combos with an E2x00 CPU and cheap ECS mobo regardless with chipset is about 266 X multiplier (9/10/11). With no volt mods for Vcore, MCH, and overall mediocre mobo quality it's just not gonna happen. It's still quite a steal for $78 though, my e2180 is running at 10X250 prime stable and a previous 2160 was running at 9X266.

If you guys are finding threads of people just setting the FSB to 1333 (333X4 quad-pumped), and getting stable OC's with no volt mods on almost free mobos please post some prime stable links :)

Looks like you're right on. My e2200 is sitting at 3.3 GHz right now. Needed 1.5 volts to get there. This is on a ip35-e. It did ~3 ghz (266x11) at stock voltage though.

Dropped by the local Frys today (Wilsonville, OR). E2180 was OOS so they subbed in the E2200. Don't need, and didn't particularly want but, for the price ..., had to bite.

Looks like you're right on. My e2200 is sitting at 3.3 GHz right now. Needed 1.5 volts to get there. This is on a ip35-e. It did ~3 ghz (266x11) at stock voltage though.

Yea the sweet spot for these cheapo ECS boards (not an insult as I actually love these crazy budget deals) is 233-266 which is still a steal. I'm positive the 945GCT rev.1 boards they sold last month DO have a BIOS option for changing the FSB, but I'll check out these new ones soon. Would be strange not to be able to change FSB in BIOS when they support huge range of CPU's from 800-1333 FSB range, but a previous poster is stating there is no option in BIOS anymore. This would make these board a lot less attractive.

Anyone know if you can possibly flash a v3.0 board to v1.0? The reason being that the
v1.0 seems to have FSB options per newegg reviews as opposed to the v3.0 having options only when a 1333Mhz Proc is being used.

Same chipset? possible?

V1.0 I believe:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135051

V3.0:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135068

My brother picked up the combo and received a Retail E2200 last night with the mobo. He's waiting on the ram and then he'll slap it together. I guess we could try and then take the board back if we turn it into a brick. Im sure they'd just swap it out.

This deal is back at Fry's from the 25th to the 28th, the E2200 and the ECS 945GCT V3 for $78.99, and I'm thinking I might jump on it. I'm wondering the same thing about flashing the V3 bios to the V1 bios. I haven't been able to find too much info on this board, but everything I've read has stated that there is no ocing adjustments at all in the V3 bios, which is discouraging. Anyone have any further information on this?

lol, I love how people are ebaying this combo, they ain't gonna make squat.

I feel sorry for the guy that bought 15 combos and sold one, while his price isn't even the lowest. :D
I mean it's a good deal if you NEED this, but making a profit? haha.

Anyone know if you can possibly flash a v3.0 board to v1.0? The reason being that the
v1.0 seems to have FSB options per newegg reviews as opposed to the v3.0 having options only when a 1333Mhz Proc is being used.

Same chipset? possible?

V1.0 I believe:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135051

V3.0:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135068

I'm not going to say that this idea for sure won't work but if you look carefully at the pictures of the two boards in those newegg links you can see they have some different hardware. The v1.0 board looks like it has an extra blue pcie x16 slot and a larger heatsink on the chipset.

I haven't been able to find too much info on this board, but everything I've read has stated that there is no ocing adjustments at all in the V3 bios, which is discouraging. Anyone have any further information on this?

I have the E2200 combo. I can confirm that while the mobo manual indicates there should be some meager OC options in the bios, they are greyed out and inaccessable when you actually try to adjust anything. Some people have said that OC options become available only if you have a processor that runs at 1333 fsb. I can't confirm that because I haven't been brave enough to try to bsel my little E2200 up that far.

With all that said... My cpu ran Windows at 2.923 GHz after doing this bsel mod to force 1066 fsb, and runs orthos stable after pushing up voltage +0.05v with this volt mod (used the 1.4v mod and chip runs at 1.325v max according to bios, I think the motherboard undervolts). All you need to do this is a conductive pen (which Fry's sells) or some rear window defogger repair paint from an auto parts store (the method I used), and possibly a magnifying glass. If you mess up you can remove the mod with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip (I had to do this twice). There's an 8 page thread here with some good information.

Thanks Wrecktified, I might try the same thing you did if there's no options in the bios.

Wrecktified said:
I have the E2200 combo. I can confirm that while the mobo manual indicates there should be some meager OC options in the bios, they are greyed out and inaccessable when you actually try to adjust anything. Some people have said that OC options become available only if you have a processor that runs at 1333 fsb. I can't confirm that because I haven't been brave enough to try to bsel my little E2200 up that far.
The options may become available when a 1066MHz FSB chip is installed. Several of other ECS boards behave the same way (or worse). Either the options have no effect or don't work (blank screen at POST, requires clear CMOS to fix) when an 800MHz FSB CPU is installed.

I'm finally going to set up my E2200 combo from last week today and do a pad mod on the motherboard (BSEL1 to ground via a surface mount resistor connected to BSEL1 in the socket). I'll post pictures later.

The OC options are still greyed out with my E2200 @ 1066 fsb. A legit 1066 fsb cpu may be a different story. After the bsel mod I now get a message to the following effect at POST:

A processor running at 200MHz front-side bus speed is installed. This bus speed is not supported. Performance will be affected.

CPU-Z reports the cpu as 2926 MHz and 1066 fsb however, and I can definitely tell its faster so I guess the bios is just freaking out at the mod. I also found this little note buried in the motherboard manual:

CPU Frequency (Auto)
Use this option to adjust CPU frequency. And this item shows only when the FSB reaches 1333 MHz.

This kind of makes me want to try bsel modding to 1333 fsb just to see if it opens up anything. Can anyone confirm if this picture shows a correct way to get from 800 --> 1333 fsb? I'm assuming that the blue dot is a pin that's been taped over. That one looks a lot easier than this one which requires two extremely small lines that have to be really close together.

I'm pretty happy with this thing at 2.9GHz for $79, and I don't want to push my luck, but the possibility of 3.6GHz or at least unlocking some options in the bios is tempting.

It's pretty impressive that they've finally made the 945 chipset support 333fsb. I remember back in the day, My nic and sound dropped out when I went to 333

I already tried my E2200 @ 3.6GHz on another board and it was a no go, even with better cooling and cranked up voltage. I have another to try but i'm not holding my breath.

I got the same error on another ECS VIA chipset LGA775 board when I pad modded an 800MHz FSB CPU. The warning doesn't affect performance.

So DDR2 800 ram will run in this board, it will just underclock to 667? The board will fit in any atx case?

So DDR2 800 ram will run in this board, it will just underclock to 667? The board will fit in any atx case?

The board itself is very small. Micro ATX. My brothers NF47 evga 939 it replaced looked like a server board compared to it. Very small.

On a side note. **The Bios flash will not work**. Just to let others know. I ended up turning my brothers into a brick with the v1.0 Bios. Everything went smoothly, even the flash. Never said anything about the flash not matching, just went through its paces of erasing the current and wrote the new. Rebooted and we get a black screen. :rolleyes:

We played dumb consumer @ Fry's. They hooked it up before we did the exchange to assure it was DOA as we stated.
"Yeah its really wierd, the screen is getting a signal but its just blank". <-- Fry's mobo tester. :D

Once that was complete, my brother found a MSI that was also in a bundle this weekend which was with a E4400. The deal wasn't all that great, but atleast this board has FSB options (although no volt adjustments, which we'll just use the volt mod above to do, thnx for the linkage!).

These chips run stupid cold btw. We swapped out the retail heatsink for an old Prescott P4 930 heatsink that I had as it has a copper core. The E4400 did 2.85Ghz on stock volts. CPU idles @ 17-20c and loads @ 40c with Orthos. Not too bad for an Intel retail heatsink & AS5. 2.9Ghz was fine but failed Orthos after 30mins.

Back