HOT - Directron 10% Off Everything! GTX 980 = $485.99

Mine finally shipped last night will be here today.

I dunno how this store stays open, there are 3 Frys stores on each side of Houston and a Microcenter right in the middle. Their website always sucked too.

I use to work for Directron when I lived in Houston. I will say this... I am HIGHLY surprised this place is even still in business. Their shady ethics, policies, and ownership/management made that place frustrating to work at.

Last edited:
I use to work for Directron when I lived in Houston. I will say this... I am HIGHLY surprised this place is even still in business. Their shady ethics, policies, and ownership/management made that place frustrating to work at.
I never shop there, if I am in a bad way and NEED something from there that bad I will even pay a markup to a vendor of mine that is just around the corner from them so I don't have to deal with them.

That I'm a business that shocks people that I'm still around?... sounds about right.

He may or may not be talking about the "Crook" in your name.

I never shop there, if I am in a bad way and NEED something from there that bad I will even pay a markup to a vendor of mine that is just around the corner from them so I don't have to deal with them.

That's how I feel about TigerDirect. I have a retail location here and I really truly dislike them. Although a lot of people on here dislike them for their rebate tactics. They also carry a 15% restocking fee. So, if I do buy anything from them, it's usually cable that I cannot find at any of the other stores locally.

He may or may not be talking about the "Crook" in your name.

But my name is short for Shepherds Crook. Weird. heh.

I'll take my chances with 10% off on these cards any day. Just wish they'd get some in stock.

For the most part I would say that they will honor their discount and ship you your product that you purchased... I'm mostly speaking about the behind the scenes stuff.

I've ordered from them a few times and have had 0 complications.

^^^ My 970 is slotted to arrive on 10/07. I just checked and they are back in stock as I write this post.

You can get two discounts as a new customer. One you add into your cart via the link above for 10%, the other you add as a promo code for an additional $5 for orders over $90. The $5 one essentially gives you free shipping if you've selected economy shipping..

Last edited:
You can get two discounts as a new customer. One you add into your cart via the link above for 10%, the other you add as a promo code for an additional $5 for orders over $90. The $5 one essentially gives you free shipping if you've selected economy shipping..

Wonder if they'll still honor that?

ZOTAC 980 with reference cooler appears to be in-stock now (actually the first time it allowed me to add any 900-series to the cart).

Directron did not honor my order of 2x Zotac GTX 970s. They called today and stated they received 10 cards for 50+ orders and that there was a "limit of 1 per customer". Nowhere was this indicated on the item's page. Further, when I ordered the cards last Saturday they were shown as in-stock on Directron's website. In fact, my credit card was immediately charged for the full amount after I placed the order.

Directron did not even offer to send the second card when they got another shipment; they insisted that I accept one card and a refund for the second. Instead, I demanded a refund for both.

Will never be doing business with these guys again.

Picked up a zotac 980 and Silverstone sfx600w PSU. The discount made it significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

I believe it... However, I think I ordered my K6 or K6-2 from them back in the day. They've been around for a while for sure.

Thanks for the post OP. Couldn't resist ordering a Zotac 970.

Directron did not honor my order of 2x Zotac GTX 970s. They called today and stated they received 10 cards for 50+ orders and that there was a "limit of 1 per customer". Nowhere was this indicated on the item's page. Further, when I ordered the cards last Saturday they were shown as in-stock on Directron's website. In fact, my credit card was immediately charged for the full amount after I placed the order.

Directron did not even offer to send the second card when they got another shipment; they insisted that I accept one card and a refund for the second. Instead, I demanded a refund for both.

Will never be doing business with these guys again.

Same, hopefully I get my refund tomorrow, I don't care if they have 50% off, I won't do any business with them ever again.

I'm too late to the party for 10% off via the promo code, how do I get the 10% off for new customer tho?

they have instructions on the site, but basically you enter the text that indicates you are a new customer in the order notes when you place the order... they then process the status of your order to see if you are in fact a new customer.

It sounds kind of a pain in the ass to me.

they have instructions on the site, but basically you enter the text that indicates you are a new customer in the order notes when you place the order... they then process the status of your order to see if you are in fact a new customer.

It sounds kind of a pain in the ass to me.
It is, and there's no assurance that what you order is actually in stock even when it is listed as in stock. I'm still waiting on a refund of a GTX 980 I bought on Wednesday. At the time it was supposedly in stock, but a couple of hours later my order was canceled due to no stock. Do yourselves a favor and avoid Directron.

FWIW this was my Directron experience. Not the most smooth sailing but definitely passable. Btw cheapeast shipping option for me was actually USPS Priority Mail.

Yeah I read that Directron might be pulling TigerDirect-esque shenanigans. But the thing is, I'm not in a rush to get these cards, and in fact my main goal is to get 2x Gigabyte 970s for as cheap as possible. With Directron I avoid the 9.25% CA tax ($70 discount), and on top of that since I'm a first time customer I get an additional 10% off, so total including shipping + double boxing comes out to $688.

Whereas with Amazon it would come ou to $808 even with free shipping. That's $120 saved, and just too good of a deal to pass up for maybe waiting an extra week.

EDIT: For full disclosure the order status changed to "Call Us" but I never received an email update. Had to call in twice; first time someone told me a manager would call back in 15 minutes, waited an hour but nothing happened. So called in again and this time I spoke to someone who appeared to know what they were doing, he made me verify my address and phone, then told me the 10% discount will be processed right away.

EDIT 2: Aaaand just got an email from Paypal saying Directron gave a partial refund of 10%. Seems to be working out so far. :) (knock on wood)

I think if you're the type that need INSTANT GRATIFICATION NAO, then yeah probably best to stick to Newegg or Amazon. However if you're a bargain hunter like me and don't mind waiting say an extra week to save $100, then Directron might work out alright for you.

Last edited:
So after ordering the Asus GTX 980, I got a call saying they can only sell me one card instead of 2. Then I got another phone call saying they ran out of stock. However, they said they can offer me a Zotac 980 instead. I complained that this is bad business practice so they sold 2 Zotac 980 to me with 10% off right away. A bit of hassle but worth the saving and tax.

Just as an FYI, I chose usps but directron informed me of an inability to use usps to ship these cards due to insurance reasons (sounds bs) and they shipped it to me ups

There's something really fishy about this place, I think we had a directron rep on the forums....

Just as an FYI, I chose usps but directron informed me of an inability to use usps to ship these cards due to insurance reasons (sounds bs) and they shipped it to me ups

Weird, they just forwarded me a USPS tracking number. Although they haven't dropped it off yet, the number works and it definitely is coming via USPS. *shrugs*

I worked at Directron for 2 years. Unless it's changed, their inventory system isn't exactly cutting edge. I called dozens of people daily because of stock issues.

I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about. Directron customer service sucks! I have tried for the past several business days to contact them via email and phone, none of which had any success in any communication at all. My advise for those looking at buying from Directron is DON'T!

FWIW I orderd 2 Gigabyte 970s from Directron last Friday, and they arrived at my doorstep this Monday.

The actual cards do have annoying coil whine but that's not Directron's fault. I just hope Gigabyte's RMA doesn't ignore me altogether.

I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about. Directron customer service sucks! I have tried for the past several business days to contact them via email and phone, none of which had any success in any communication at all. My advise for those looking at buying from Directron is DON'T!

I wanted to amend my earlier statement. I just got a call back from George ([email protected]) and he was polite and helpful. If you can't get ahold of anybody through the regular customer service avenues, send this guy an email.

I got an email from them after placing my order with an attached information request document that I needed to fill out and return by fax before they would ship the card. They wanted my life story and a scan of my driver's license and credit card. I politely called and declined and cancelled my order.

I could see them requesting this if I was shipping somewhere and with a different name then what is associated with the credit card but that was not the case. Oh well, I'll have to wait until their is a better deal somewhere else.

I guess Directron really is hit or miss. When I called in, the guy literally just asked me to repeat my address and phone number and that was it.

I used my verified Paypal account and the Paypal address is of course the same as the shipping address I gave them. Wonder if that helped?

I just bought MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Shouldve read this thread. Keeping fingers crossed!

I ordered two MSI Gaming 970's. A couple hours later they called me to confirm my order and shipping address. Got my 10% discount refunded to my paypal account the next morning along with a tracking number, I'll have the cards Monday.

I'm crazy excited about the awesome deal I got and I really appreciated the phonecall. Good experience for me.

Arrgh! After a week with no communication from them, I emailed customer service asking when my order was going to ship. They replied, "We were out of stock on that item so we had cancelled your order." Thanks for not telling me f~@&ers! Guess I'm off to Tiger Direct or B&H Photo for my card then.

I have a verified address on my Paypal CC. I got the 10% refund via Paypal first within a couple of hours. Later I got the verfication that my item was shipping and they supplied me with the tracking. It should be here by Tuesday. No phonecall/request of documentation on my end. Smooth transaction. Can't wait!

Edit: Just checked the status and apparently it will be delivered earlier one day than originally expected! Can't wait for Monday!

I am not seeing anything but a Zotac and PNY GTX 970 on their website. I assume they are sold out of the MSI models.

How is their customer service for defective product returns? Similar to Amazon or must we pay a restocking and shipping?

I am not seeing anything but a Zotac and PNY GTX 970 on their website. I assume they are sold out of the MSI models.

How is their customer service for defective product returns? Similar to Amazon or must we pay a restocking and shipping?

Don't know about that but you can always RMA. I can vouch for Gigabytes RMA; it's great!

Back