Hot? Dell SB Inspiron 9400 Core Duo + 17" screen $999

Here's a stupid question... why do you get to pick between 2 different speeds of RAM?

$1300 Buys u one with:
17" Scr
256mb 7800 GO
1.66ghz Core Duo
60gb HD
1gb DDR2 @ 533mhz

Now thats a nice deal

potentially another stupid question....

you *can* run OS X on these things right? I've been in the market for a MacBook Pro but might as well go with this one if it's so much better.

cuttriss said:
potentially another stupid question....

you *can* run OS X on these things right? I've been in the market for a MacBook Pro but might as well go with this one if it's so much better.

Not today ... OS X only runs on a mac.

You cant run OS-X on non-apple hardware at the moment without some emulator...

You can, in theory, run windows on the mac hardware...though I dont recall reading if anyone has been successful with it yet.

Devin

DriveEuro said:
Was thinking about this... Too bad my 7800GTX is quite a bit faster in my 9300.

me too, i want dual core really bad but im not about to give up my 7800gtx....

sigh...oh well

crap I thought there was way to run OS X natively... guess i'm staying with my powerbook.. argh!

remember this about the Yonah cores. both processors share the same cache. its like using a funnel on a river. wait for Merom all of the Yonah buyers will regret thier purchase of that I can assure you.

I will still keep my 9300 with a 2.26ghz chip and a 7800 GTX over one of those anyday :D

if Jobs doesn't put the Merom in an upcoming MacBook Pro I'm going to be so mad..

cuttriss said:
crap I thought there was way to run OS X natively... guess i'm staying with my powerbook.. argh!
There are ways, but they are higly tricky and possibly illegal. :eek:

Bal`thzar said:
remember this about the Yonah cores. both processors share the same cache. its like using a funnel on a river. wait for Merom all of the Yonah buyers will regret thier purchase of that I can assure you.

I will still keep my 9300 with a 2.26ghz chip and a 7800 GTX over one of those anyday :D
um, merom is using the smart cache too, just more of it.

If you already have a 7800GTX in a 9300 or XPSGen2 and want the 9400, why don't you just get it and swap video cards out?

b2386 said:
If you already have a 7800GTX in a 9300 or XPSGen2 and want the 9400, why don't you just get it and swap video cards out?
Don't yet know if its possible.

Do you think if I sold my current setup, I would be able to get enough money to get one of these or should I just stick with my desktop?

*that laptop in my signature is defective and i'm going to get a refund.

You actually kept the Best Buy $400 laptop from last sunday? I'm glad I listed mine on Saturday. Made $185 on mine :)

Your desktop will be faster.... but ask yourself this.... do you really need the portability?

I kept the laptop, but the screen messed up so I am getting a refund today. Nice profit!!

ToyYoda03 said:
and i dont think it is, iirc from notebookforums
Yeah, I did a lot of search on notebookforum with no positive results. It uses the same chasis (at least LOOKS like it) as the 9300/xps2.... So it MIGHT be possible.

I did look at the service guide for the 9400... but the pictures looked kinda generic... IE, the same ones used on the XPS2 and 9300.

DriveEuro said:
Yeah, I did a lot of search on notebookforum with no positive results. It uses the same chasis (at least LOOKS like it) as the 9300/xps2.... So it MIGHT be possible.

I did look at the service guide for the 9400... but the pictures looked kinda generic... IE, the same ones used on the XPS2 and 9300.

from what ive read, they look the same but there are small changes, such as different screw layouts, slightly different cooling solutions, etc. It hasnt really been completely confirmed though. Its still possible.

DriveEuro said:
Your desktop will be faster.... but ask yourself this.... do you really need the portability?

That is something that you really really need to think about, I've always wanted a laptop, and still do, but I simply don't need it and I can get way more use out of my desktop.. so I'm looking at older ultraportable laptops around ~$400 :p

Wait for Merom, plus wait to see if it's possible for overclocking the processor on the 9400. Yea, it's a sexy beast, but hold your horses until more is known about it.

Back