Hot deal? TCL 48" 240hz for $340 shipped

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889272021

Bright direct LED Backlighting
Full 1080P HD 1920x1080
100,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Smooth motion 240Hz refresh

I looked on various etailers and all of them said 240hz. Is this thing actually 240hz?
That seems like an awesome deal. Too bad they wont ship to me since Im not in the main 48 states.

They have these on display at frys, they are rebranded Sharp tv's.

Although not a smart tv, the price is pretty damn nice.

Yeah, that's a pretty sick deal for a budget TV

Wish I had the use for it. Lol

It's not legit since they put some bs marketing term in front of the 240.

Are they a LEGIT 240hz though?

Specifications
Panel
Size Class 48"
Actual Diagonal Size 47.625"
Resolution 1080p
Screen Refresh Rate 240Hz
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 100,000:1
Brightness 350 cd/m²
Display Type LCD
Backlight Technology LED
Inputs & Outputs
HDMI 2
USB 1
DVI 1
Component Video 1
RF Antenna 1
3.5mm Audio 1

Input Signal Compatability
Antenna/Cable 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (NTSC, ATSC, and QAM formats)
Composite Video 480i
Component Video 480i, 480p, 720p/60Hz, 1080i/60Hz
HDMI 480i, 480p, 720p/60Hz, 1080i/60Hz, 1080p/60Hz
PC VGA, SVGA, XGA

General
Screen Refresh Rate 240Hz
Broadcast Signals NTSC, ATSC, QAM
VESA Mounting Compatability 200 x 200 mm, M6 Screw
Dimensions w/ Stand (WxHxD) 42.9" x 27.75" x 10.5"
Dimensions w/o Stand (WxHxD) 42.9" x 25.25" x 3.875"
Weight w/ Stand 38.8 lbs.
Weight w/o Stand 33.1 lbs.

Where does the 240hz come from then if nothing on the TV actually runs at 240hz?

Where does the 240hz come from then if nothing on the TV actually runs at 240hz?

Imagination

I shouldn't say that. The quote was for input, but does anything send more than 1080p/60hz? Maybe PC's?

Maybe it depends on the company but if given the choice I've always gone with refurbished over new. The company has already lost money with the return and service of the item so it's usually in their best interest to make sure that it doesn't come back a second time around. Or so one would think.

And unless you've got a 240Hz source who cares if it's legit. Remember, movies are shot at 24 fps.

Maybe it depends on the company but if given the choice I've always gone with refurbished over new. The company has already lost money with the return and service of the item so it's usually in their best interest to make sure that it doesn't come back a second time around. Or so one would think.

And unless you've got a 240Hz source who cares if it's legit. Remember, movies are shot at 24 fps.

Correct, 240hz is more or less a marketing scam. What you should care about is if it properly displays 1080/24p sources at 120hz.

Edit: And from what I can see on the manufacturer's website, it only does 3:2 pulldown meaning it may as well be a 60hz set for film watching. Don't get fooled.

Last edited:
Correct, 240hz is more or less a marketing scam. What you should care about is if it properly displays 1080/24p sources at 120hz.

Edit: And from what I can see on the manufacturer's website, it only does 3:2 pulldown meaning it may as well be a 60hz set for film watching. Don't get fooled.

That confirms it is a 60Hz panel. If it was a 120Hz panel, it wouldn't need to do 3:2 (they just show each frame ~5 times on a 120 panel).

That confirms it is a 60Hz panel. If it was a 120Hz panel, it wouldn't need to do 3:2 (they just show each frame ~5 times on a 120 panel).

Thanks for this. I am in the market for a new TV again, since my 50" Vizio Plasma has developed a thin red/pink line down the middle.

I am leaning towards LCD w/LED due to heat/power (although I greatly prefer a plasma picture), and did not know this bit of information.

How can you tell whether it properly displays 1080/24p?

Thanks for this. I am in the market for a new TV again, since my 50" Vizio Plasma has developed a thin red/pink line down the middle.

I am leaning towards LCD w/LED due to heat/power (although I greatly prefer a plasma picture), and did not know this bit of information.

How can you tell whether it properly displays 1080/24p?

Sometimes the manufacturer will say they support it explicitly or by saying the set does 5:5 pulldown (aka each frame plays 5 times since 120/24=5). However, even then, some low end panny plasmas for example have real big issues with it despite saying they support it. Kinda gotta dive into reviews and see if AVS forums has anything etc. Sadly, it's started to become a feature only had in very high end models since most people are perfectly content with the "120hz smooth motion" garbage.

Consumer Reports did a review on the 55" version of the set from the same line. The LE55FHDF3300Z. Potentially apples and oranges, but, I'll post an brief excerpt from the review. Despite the TV's 240hz claims, CR didn't think very highly of its motion performance.

Highs
• Excellent HD image detail

Lows
• Edge detail is slightly overenhanced
• Color accuracy falls short
• Color temperature is visibly on the cool side
• Black levels lack depth
• Slight backlight non-uniformity
• Limited viewing angle
• Visible blurring on our motion tests

. . .

MOTION BLUR. This TCL TV has only fair motion performance, with significant blurring on our motion tests. Though it claims to have a higher frame rate than 60Hz, a feature designed to reduce motion blur, it could not be found in the menu, and performance was worse than on models with an effective similar feature.

Back