Bluetooth 2.0
iSight
OS X 10.5

List Price: $1,799.00
Your Price: $1,199.99
Mail-in Rebate(s): $75.00 (6.25%)
You Save: $674 (37%)
Final Price: $1,124.99

Good deal. Frys.com has the next cheapest price @ $1399 for the same model.

That's a pretty good price. Others must remember that you cannot put value on just the hardware. Browsing thorugh newegg you can put together a similar system for about $780 or $340 cheaper than this iMac. Is it worth $340 for me to not have to assemble anything, not have to install an OS, for the workstation to be in a small good looking case, a one year warranty, and the option to purchase a three year for $170, maybe. Would it have been at the original price of the iMac which would have been roughly $1000 more, nope. So yah I'd say this deal is pretty good.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6818389

You get more then the 1 and 3 year warranties from individual manufacturers. You can get a small nice looking case, and installing an OS isn't any type of hassle.

That's a pretty good price. Others must remember that you cannot put value on just the hardware. Browsing thorugh newegg you can put together a similar system for about $780 or $340 cheaper than this iMac. Is it worth $340 for me to not have to assemble anything, not have to install an OS, for the workstation to be in a small good looking case, a one year warranty, and the option to purchase a three year for $170, maybe. Would it have been at the original price of the iMac which would have been roughly $1000 more, nope. So yah I'd say this deal is pretty good.

This is dumb. This is like saying "that gaming laptop is a ripoff, I can build a way faster system in an Antec 900 off newegg for way cheaper, and it has a bigger monitor too!" Your hardware comparison is way off. Do you really think the special low-power high-clock CPU used in the iMac costs what an e7400 costs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111006&Tpk=socket p 2.8ghz

Not even close. The cost of this system is not in the "Apple markup" like many tend to believe; the hardware used is simply not cheap. Though if you're okay putting your newegg-built system in your living room, say, next to the piano and the crystal vase, then the iMac wasn't designed for you anyway.

I'm not a huge Apple fan but my iMac was the only computer I'd allow in my living room.

This system for $1125 is a STEAL.

Normally, when macophiles argue, they have a slap fight until one gets hit or REALLY insulted. Then they go to an emo show together and cry.

Mac = ((pc with diff op system) + $500)), like everyone else said, mac's are for people who either 1, claim to hate microsoft op systems (typically a consumer who is ignorant); or 2, someone who is just plain ignorant and thinks mac's better cause the bs marketing scam mac pulls ( ohh look my case is shiny ).

Mac = ((pc with diff op system) + $500)), like everyone else said, mac's are for people who either 1, claim to hate microsoft op systems (typically a consumer who is ignorant); or 2, someone who is just plain ignorant and thinks mac's better cause the bs marketing scam mac pulls ( ohh look my case is shiny ).

or you know, because they just plain prefer to use a mac. do you see people driving around in volvos and bmws and go 'lol, they could have bought 3 ford focuses for that much money!' for something that people might be using between 2 and 6 hours daily (or more!), paying an extra few hundred $ is not too bad if someone likes it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

or you know, because they just plain prefer to use a mac. do you see people driving around in volvos and bmws and go 'lol, they could have bought 3 ford focuses for that much money!' for something that people might be using between 2 and 6 hours daily (or more!), paying an extra few hundred $ is not too bad if someone likes it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I actually DO think that.

No problems with my or my pc tho. everything has its place.

Server = PC with diff op system +$500 also.

It really comes down to what you need it for. Many programs are better on Mac OSX than on PC, and many programs are better on PC than OSX. So...exactly who is the ignorant one?

Such as? Now I'm curious. What programs that exist on both mac and pc, are somehow better on the mac?

Lots of video editing software. Avid Xpress is one of the top of my head. Well known to be much better on Mac than Windows.

How did this hot deal posting for an Apple system boil down to yet another Mac vs PC debate?
Everyone knows Macs are more expensive, no need to keep bringing up that solely the hardware is overpriced.

For a person who makes more money than joe blow working hourly at a local retail store and wants a good looking system in their house where none of their furniture is from Ikea and they don't give a damn about playing Crysis or CoD5 on the system 24/7, then yes, this is a good deal.

tempting deal. not sure if id get my mom this, a mac mini or an ion based netbook.

Lots of video editing software. Avid Xpress is one of the top of my head. Well known to be much better on Mac than Windows.

Better how? This strikes me as a blanket statement made when there is no real backing. "Well known to be much better." Ok well then HOW is it better? Does it run faster? Does it have more features? What is better? Also, where's some proof? It's easy to make a claim, that doesn't make it true, where's some backing?

I'd ask this particularly in light of the fact that Avid Xpress is dead. Avid discontinued Xpress Pro in mid 2008. Now you have to buy Avid Media Composer.

I'm a PC guy... I'm also an audio guy. but I do admit that Pro Tools is better for Mac for one simple reason. The edit / mix windows aren't trapped in a main window like it is for Windows. For Windows, you have to stretch the main PT window across multiple screens. Where as with OSX, you just place your edit, mix, and video window anywhere.

Thats the only reason/instance I'd prefer mac over pc. Otherwise, it's just not worth it for me. Plus I hate OSX workflow of files vs pc.

tempting deal. not sure if id get my mom this, a mac mini or an ion based netbook.

I'd say if you can afford this deal its a MUCH sweeter piece of kit than either of the alternatives you listed. Remember the 24s use an IPS panel so you'd need to add a really nice lcd to the Mini to match this and the experience of using an iMac vice a cramped netbook isn't even comparable, regardless of what OS you are running.

Incorrect sir.

I've used Crapvid Express on both and other than the OS interfaces, not much is different. Combine that with the fact that my home PC is equally as powerful as any mac may possibly be (at a fraction of the cost), I'd say you're making things up.

Macs do have their place, at a more expensive cost, but if you macophiles want any one to listen to what you have to say, stop lying about the real differences.

Just say "Yeah it's more expensive but you're paying for name brand and support."

What an absolutely idiotic post. What are you, 15? Let's take it point by idiotic point. I own a Mac, so you can say "Macs are for me." I do not claim to hate Microsoft's OSes. I even run Vista 64 on my server at home. (I also don't know anyone who *claims* to hate Microsoft OSes and doesn't, so the "claim" part was redundant.) I'm also pretty sure that I am not, in fact, ignorant. Rather, it seems more likely that I am so "un-ignorant" that I can appreciate differences between two different computing systems, and make a choice between them based on my values. For the record, one of the things I appreciate in my MBP is not a shiny case. Now that I've refuted the two main points in your post, I feel I can now refute an earlier, minor point - "like everyone else said". Clearly, not everyone else opened their mouth and spewed forth such colossal logic fail.

Now, allow me to see if I can degrade myself enough to make an inflammatory statement ala-Sherloc, in the case that you might not be able to grasp the above paragraph. Although, I feel that mine is much more accurate.

Sherloc = Dubya - 20IQ points

PS: The double-parentheses you used were also redundant. And you would never use double parentheses, instead using a square bracket next. I'm not positive, but I think you wouldn't even need any parentheses.
PPS: NOW WHO'S IGNORANT.
PPPS: I have a feeling this post might get deleted, but I hope any mod would see that I was clearly baited, and have an arguable case for temporary-insanity plea. I love [H].

Macs do have their place, at a more expensive cost, but if you macophiles want any one to listen to what you have to say, stop lying about the real differences.

Just say "Yeah it's more expensive but you're paying for name brand and support."

Actually why should anyone need to defend against a bunch of folks only interested in turning a "hot deal" thread into a flame war? Most people aren't "macophiles" as you try to bucket... most Mac users own and regularly use multiple OS'.

My household and my time is split between Vista64, XP, Ubuntu, 2 OSX, and a WHS thrown in for good measure. Given the choice I'd much rather work on OSX than any of the others, with Vista64 a close 2nd at this point. In terms of software I prefer to use iMovie over any of the low end consumer video editing apps available elsewhere, and stepping up I prefer the Final Cut products likewise. I also love all of the Omni products (Focus, Graffle, Plan, Outliner) as well as NoteBook by Circus Ponies. There are also a ton of little free apps that I've grown fond of that aren't available in windows boxes.

Everyone pounds on the price difference but most of it arises from squeezing high end laptop parts into small form factors (with the mini, imac, laptops). If there is a tax I'll pay it for the ability to walk into a store to have a problem fixed face-to-face rather than deal with someone in India on the phone. On top of that, if I need windows I like the flexibility to choose my OS easily with no hacks on the same hardware. On the Pro front, last time I checked there was more of a "tax" when trying to order a new Xeon box from HP than from Apple.

No shit Sherloc! :D ;) - had to say that...

Last edited:
My household and my time is split between Vista64, XP, Ubuntu, 2 OSX, and a WHS thrown in for good measure.
Yes, I can see where your assembly represents "most mac users."

For all of that you managed to fail at reading comprehension. That's seems to be the theme with macophiles, they see someone NOT go GaGa over something Apple related and their fur gets all ruffled.

I've yet to flame the product nor the sale, which is actually a good price. I just took exception with the spindoctoring.

Yes, I can see where your assembly represents "most mac users."

For all of that you managed to fail at reading comprehension. That's seems to be the theme with macophiles, they see someone NOT go GaGa over something Apple related and their fur gets all ruffled.

You apparently fail at reading as well. I never claimed that my cross section was representative of anything except my home.

I do think that most mac users make use of both osx and windows. If I recall the other piece that I commented on was Apple specific software that was good stuff.

Also I think people feeling the need to jump in and start a VS thread in the hot deals section makes little sense. To me that's a bit more than somoene "not going gaga over something Apple related".

Yes yes your feelings are hurt because I don't abase myself at Job's feet. You must be reading this thread from your Apple Shrine, because my first two comments weren't remotely starting a "VS" anything, but I understand that you got confused.

You sir, are the one that has successfully dragged this thread far far from a hot deal, or even a discussion.

Grats!

Yes yes your feelings are hurt because I don't abase myself at Job's feet. You must be reading this thread from your Apple Shrine, because my first two comments weren't remotely starting a "VS" anything, but I understand that you got confused.

You sir, are the one that has successfully dragged this thread far far from a hot deal, or even a discussion.

Grats!

Such as? Now I'm curious. What programs that exist on both mac and pc, are somehow better on the mac?

Looks like you posted long before brent. Your comments had nothing to do with the deal. You also continue to attribute comments to people that they never really made or inferred. Please work on your reading apprehension. Brent never said that YOU started a "VS" thread. He said "Also, I think people..." Not "You". Lurk more, please.

I don't have an informed opinion on the Intel Macs but if you have ever seen the inside of a G5 Power Mac you should agree with me that who ever designed it should be taken out back and shot. I mean anyone with half a brain could have done a better job designing the inside of G5 Power Macs. I haven't touched a Mac since 10.1 came out and during my 2 month internship with a campus technology support service I spent a week with Macs and after that if I see the inside of or have to troubleshoot another G5 Mac it will be too soon.

[21CW]killerofall;1034119630 said:
I don't have an informed opinion on the Intel Macs but if you have ever seen the inside of a G5 Power Mac you should agree with me that who ever designed it should be taken out back and shot. I mean anyone with half a brain could have done a better job designing the inside of G5 Power Macs. I haven't touched a Mac since 10.1 came out and during my 2 month internship with a campus technology support service I spent a week with Macs and after that if I see the inside of or have to troubleshoot another G5 Mac it will be too soon.

It was designed for cooling efficiency and super low fan noise, and if you've ever heard one without a broken power supply fan, you would be saying something different. There is nothing to access within a G5 except for the ram, hard drive, or pci/agp/pci-e slot(s), and there is nothing difficult about getting to them.

Actually, you put a cheap garbage monitor in that wishlist. If you wanted to completely match the specs, you'd need at least an HP LP2475W, which erases your supposed $340 savings.

Overall a pretty nice deal if you're looking for both a mac and a monitor.

Back