hot deal on ati AGP cards

Anyone got a 850pro yet and tried to unlock it? I would be very curious as to weather it can or cannot allow the extra 4 pipes.

Let us know!!

Probably not, yet I notice ati store now says the x850 pros are shipping the 24th rather than the 17th. Maybe no has gotten one yet because they haven't received them. I was actually considering ordering both and then returning the slower one. I know everyone and their dog loves the x800xl but googling the x850pro showed me some interesting reviews. If OC'd far enough like 600/600[1200] then the x850pro can beat the 800xl even with 12 pipes. In general though unless you reach speeds nearly that high the 800xl is probably your overall champ.

teh X800xl is a sure thing, the x850 is a crap shoot.

I wonder where the new cards are coming from? These are not exactly *new* tech.

Can those x850pros be flashed? I think all of the VIVOs could, no?

g0dM@n said:
Can those x850pros be flashed? I think all of the VIVOs could, no?

As stated earlier, the extra pipes are laser cut in almost all cases. The only exception likely is old stock.

I see... thx.

No one's figured out a way around the laser cut? What about bridging the cut trace?

g0dM@n said:
I see... thx.

No one's figured out a way around the laser cut? What about bridging the cut trace?
Ah taking me back to my old Palomino days. Yeah I don't think this is quite the same as bridging those cpus with a defrost kit.

MrCoffee said:
I too, have had a 9700 pro for around 4 years. And its been a hell of a card. I guess its upgrade time though.

Totally, I am getting one to replace my 9700 pro also! :( so sad....

GonzoP said:
Ah taking me back to my old Palomino days. Yeah I don't think this is quite the same as bridging those cpus with a defrost kit.
Has anyone bothered to try? I could be hallucinating images again, but I remember seeing/reading something on attemps at physically rebuilding the bridges on laser cut X1800/800 GTOs. Don't remember if it worked or not, but wouldn't it make sense if it did? I mean... other than a laser cut and new bios, I don't think there's much difference... unless the 4x pipes were actually damaged in production as well.

5% off + Free Shipping-LL
Promo Code-
ATILL5off

5% off orders over $149
Promo Code-

Sgt Rock said:
Anyone got a 850pro yet and tried to unlock it? I would be very curious as to weather it can or cannot allow the extra 4 pipes.

Let us know!!
I got my x850 pro AGP flashed to XT PE. It was vivo. GLHF.

Well I bought one (a 850pro) for $132.00 shipped, if it doesn't flash then I can always sell it or use it on a secondary system or HTPC. As soon as I get it I will let you know how it goes.

Oh and thanks for the great coupon!

nilepez said:
As i recall, it's very similar to an XL, but it has the newer pixel shader. Hopefully more info is forthcoming :)
They have the same r430 core and the same default clocks. Basically the gto is a 12 pipe xl; although the gto is much shorter. However newegg is currently selling the Sapphire gto here which most recent reviewers are saying ships with 16 pipes enabled making it the virtual equal of the x800xl. The two problems here are 1] it still costs around $15 more than the ati clearance x800xl and 2] a lot of people are reporting significantly higher core temps on their gpu's as compared with the x800xl's. In the neighborhood of 15-20ºC higher. All in all the ati deal is still better.

g0dM@n said:
Has anyone bothered to try? I could be hallucinating images again, but I remember seeing/reading something on attemps at physically rebuilding the bridges on laser cut X1800/800 GTOs. Don't remember if it worked or not, but wouldn't it make sense if it did? I mean... other than a laser cut and new bios, I don't think there's much difference... unless the 4x pipes were actually damaged in production as well.
Well certainly that is the question to be answered. I'm most curious myself as I still haven't placed my order for one or the other. Google searches suggest to me that the recent batch of x850pro cannot be enabled but then again don't really have any definite proof.

MedicaL said:
5% off + Free Shipping-LL
Promo Code-
ATILL5off

5% off orders over $149
Promo Code-
Ah thank you very much
The old 1439 wasn't working for sub $149 orders the past week

alik4041 said:
I got my x850 pro AGP flashed to XT PE. It was vivo. GLHF.
But did you in the past month get yours from the ati store is the question so many of us have. Certainly it is true that previous non-laser bridge cut x850pro vivos could be made into 16 pipe versions. The general impression most of us are under now is that current selling models cannot.

Got my x800xl today and it works great! However, I had to drive to a FedEx distribution hub to get it. They wouldn't leave the package at my apt complex office, even though I've signed paperwork giving them permission to receive my packages. The driver called and said that the shipper (ATI) required the signature and wouldn't accept any delegation of authority. That's crap! Anyway, overall I'm happy with the jump in performance from my 9800 Pro. I'm seeing about 80-90% gains.

I am at 440 core 550 memory.Thanks again to the original poster for this great deal.

In case anyone is wondering, I slapped the X800XL card I bought into my SS51G and its been working fine. The SS51G only has a 200w PSU and atm the system contains a P4 3.0, 1Gb Ram, 80Gb drive, 320Gb drive, dvd-rom, and my hauppauge 150MCE card.

Gotta love Shuttles

Xiro said:
In case anyone is wondering, I slapped the X800XL card I bought into my SS51G and its been working fine. The SS51G only has a 200w PSU and atm the system contains a P4 3.0, 1Gb Ram, 80Gb drive, 320Gb drive, dvd-rom, and my hauppauge 150MCE card.

Gotta love Shuttles
:eek: 200w huh dang that is worthy of luvin. Do any benchies with the xl yet?

GonzoP said:
They have the same r430 core and the same default clocks. Basically the gto is a 12 pipe xl; although the gto is much shorter. However newegg is currently selling the Sapphire gto here which most recent reviewers are saying ships with 16 pipes enabled making it the virtual equal of the x800xl. The two problems here are 1] it still costs around $15 more than the ati clearance x800xl and 2] a lot of people are reporting significantly higher core temps on their gpu's as compared with the x800xl's. In the neighborhood of 15-20ºC higher. All in all the ati deal is still better.

Are you sure the x800xl is the better deal? If the GTO is unlocked to 16 pipes then it may be a little better (does it support SM3.0?). What kind of OC can be gotten from the GTO?

Xiro said:

Gotta love Shuttles

That's not surprising. I don't know how much the P4 takes, but I have an x800xl, 250gb hd and 64 3000+ and at full load it might pull 135 watts. The dvd and other stuff is not all that relevant. They don't draw much power. All of the folks on enthusiast sites that tell us we need a 10,000 watt PSU are going by a worst case scenario that will never happen to 99.9999999999999% of home users.

That said, I think I'd want a 300 watt PSU, just in case :p

Could someone point me to the link from HardOCP (that I thought was posted in this thread but can't find) that list all of the Video Cards in order of their performance? Newegg has a X800GTO on sale for $124.99 and I wanted to see how it compares to the X800GL.

Thanks.

nilepez said:
That's not surprising. I don't know how much the P4 takes, but I have an x800xl, 250gb hd and 64 3000+ and at full load it might pull 135 watts. The dvd and other stuff is not all that relevant. They don't draw much power. All of the folks on enthusiast sites that tell us we need a 10,000 watt PSU are going by a worst case scenario that will never happen to 99.9999999999999% of home users.

That said, I think I'd want a 300 watt PSU, just in case :p

I went from a 350W Antec to a 500W Ultra with My 800XL (installed last night) I tried running it on the 350, but within 5 minutes under windows, my pc crashed- I did not even try gaming yet. The 350 was probably underpowered.

I installed the 500w and spent too many hours gaming last night, but it has been 100% stable.

Upgrade your PSU, and you don't need to break the bank to get a good unit. It's probably the biggest reason for the 800XL RMA's

Hey I have a PNY 6800 Ultra that doesn't overclock well at all (even with a Zalman VF900 slapped on it). Would the X800XL be a step backward or forward for me? I've always preferred ATI cards but got the 6800 Ultra for christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

greyt_Autumn said:
I went from a 350W Antec to a 500W Ultra with My 800XL (installed last night) I tried running it on the 350, but within 5 minutes under windows, my pc crashed- I did not even try gaming yet. The 350 was probably underpowered.

I installed the 500w and spent too many hours gaming last night, but it has been 100% stable.

Upgrade your PSU, and you don't need to break the bank to get a good unit. It's probably the biggest reason for the 800XL RMA's

Sounds like a bad PSU. If you look on silentpcreview, they run prime and 3dmark at the same time (they may run an AV sweep too) and they hit a bit over a 200w draw. Clearly amps on the 12v rail(s) are a factor, but virtually all quality 300w PSUs have sufficient 12v rails to run a modern system (SLI not withstanding). Certainly they can handle the modest needs of an x800xl, which probably isn't drawing more than 30 or 40 watts at idle and 75 or so at full steam.

Edit: Just remembered you're probably talking about the AGP version. I believe it uses an extra power connector, which may or may not make a difference.

total said:
Hey I have a PNY 6800 Ultra that doesn't overclock well at all (even with a Zalman VF900 slapped on it). Would the X800XL be a step backward or forward for me? I've always preferred ATI cards but got the 6800 Ultra for christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems to depend on the game. THere's no OC involved, but THG has a nice page for comparing them at stock speeds at various resolutions and settngs.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=290&model2=313

total said:

PNY sucks, so an x800XL may be a small step forward, but nothing to warrant $120.

Get about 5000 3dmark05 with my x800xl. Kind of disappointed actually with how it overclocks (only to 430/560 from 400/500).

Ok, I just did it. I bit on the x800XL. My first new video card in like 3 or 4 years. Last one I got was my 9700 pro for $230 from the egg.
I am sad and happy......

BTW be sure to use coupon code ATILL5off to get 5% off!

RE: the GTOs on Newegg.... from what I can gather, some are using the R420 (possibly also R480?) core and are native AGP (no "rialto"), whilst others are getting the R430 core with 16 functional pipes, and I'm assuming the longer PCB for the bridge chip.

It seems as if some who got the R420 version did not necessarily have all 16 pipes enabled, whereas those who are getting the R430 did.

I'm thinking of ordering one... if it's the short PCB *and* 16 pipes, I'll sell the x800xl to my brother. :)

I bit on the X800XL AGP with the 5% off coupon and free shipping... for $113 it seems like it will be a good deal.

total said:
Yeah it'd be a wash and as aforementioned not really worth a $113 investement for what would basically amount to virtually the same amount of overall performance.

nilepez said:
Sounds like a bad PSU. If you look on silentpcreview, they run prime and 3dmark at the same time (they may run an AV sweep too) and they hit a bit over a 200w draw. Clearly amps on the 12v rail(s) are a factor, but virtually all quality 300w PSUs have sufficient 12v rails to run a modern system (SLI not withstanding). Certainly they can handle the modest needs of an x800xl, which probably isn't drawing more than 30 or 40 watts at idle and 75 or so at full steam.

Edit: Just remembered you're probably talking about the AGP version. I believe it uses an extra power connector, which may or may not make a difference.

That's why I ordered the new PSU :) I planned on needing it. The AGP cards have a power connector as well. Even my old 9800PRO did.

I'll migrate to PCIe in a about 6 months. Depends on the state of things when Vista arrives.

Back