hot deal on ati AGP cards

EnFoRcEr!! said:
It sounds like you didn't uninstall your nvidia drivers prior to loading your x800xt. Uninstall all of the video drivers, then reinstall with the newest Cat's.

I formatted my computer and did a fresh install of Windows XP after I installed the card, so the drivers should be no problem :(

CarNut said:
I formatted my computer and did a fresh install of Windows XP after I installed the card, so the drivers should be no problem :(

I believe you may still want to get driver cleaner, uninstall the drivers/card then install the latest catalyst drivers.

If you've done that and it's still running like crap, then it sounds like a defective card.

nilepez said:
I believe you may still want to get driver cleaner, uninstall the drivers/card then install the latest catalyst drivers.

If you've done that and it's still running like crap, then it sounds like a defective card.

Yeah definitely use the driver cleaner. I just installed my X800XL and tried to run Prey, wouldn't happen. I uninstalled my ATi drivers, then re-installed the latest Catalyst drivers and now all is well.

For the Shuttle owners: Yes, it does fit in a Shuttle ;)

newzmonkey said:
does the x800 XL comes with the VIVO cable? whoever got them already.

Thanks.

no it doesn't. I'm guessing its the $5 ones available all over ebay, either they are bare cables or with the purple breakout box (I "think" they'll both work the same)

dchrsf said:
lol, that shows just how much of a dumbass review site cnet really is..

lol QFT. Some reviews are decent but others where it's pretty clear that someone with no experience with PC gaming GPU's writes up a review that that CNET review which was beyond retarded is quite humerous. At lower resolutions the X800XL will keep up with an X800XT for the most part, and usually a 6800GT as well (OGL or D3D title depending).

newzmonkey said:

Thanks.

Yes. :p

Came with everything a normal retail card would. :cool:

Including the ATi DVD decoder(on teh driver CD). :D

^^^^^Nice feature btw....if u are coming from a nvidia card.....PURE VIDEO SHOULD BE FREE NVIDIA. :rolleyes:

Crap, there goes $113.05 out of the bank account! :p

I've been thinking about selling the parts I've been gathering for a new build and upgrading my Shuttle up to something better. This pushed my decision! :cool:

newzmonkey said:

Thanks.

Yes mine came with ViVo cables, component output cables, vgatodvi adapter.

hmm my x800xl only came with card, booklet, driver cd, and molex splitter. :( no vivo cable for me

stag3 said:
hmm my x800xl only came with card, booklet, driver cd, and molex splitter. :( no vivo cable for me

You folks check under the foam padding in the box>?

At the very bottom?

That's were mine were.....you may wanna check again.

This is what ATi claims you will recieve:

Radeon® X800 XL graphics card
HDTV out cable
DVI to VGA Adapter
Power cable connector

foofighter06 said:

At the very bottom?

Yeah, I almost went, WOOHOO! NEW CARD *tosses box out the window*

But I heard something rattle.

All the cables and such were in the very bottom of the box.

foofighter06 said:

At the very bottom?

What an odd place to put these :D Looked and mine's there. Didn't throw it out, just stuck the 9800 pro in the box until I can unload it.

Would have been nice to buy this card instead of a dvi to hdmi cable a few weeks back...had no way to hook the other card up to the hdtv.

:D i had to go into my trash can to dig up the box. wife tossed the box.
but i got my cables !

yea lol I had to look for them too, almost was going to pack the box back up with the foam when I saw them :p

can someone tell me their battlefield 2 framerateswith the x800 xl or the x850 pro?

X800XL, as I already stated runs on my system in my sig, with max textures, max lighting, max everything @ 1280x1024 AA/FF are a step below max, because I am getting a little jitter here and there, and I checked memory usage and its just about, but not crossing my 1.5gb limit, so I thought lowering AA/AF would help, which it didnt..so im gonna turn it back up :) and 90-95% of the time is butter..

In other words, BF2 sucks down ram and an X800XL will run 1280X1024 smoothly @ High.

Oh, I play on 64 Player servers :)

Well, just pulled the trigger on the X800XL as well. My old system was in need of a new card because I pulled the 9700 pro out of it (put in a radeon 7200, yuck!) and put it in my son's system. Thanks for all the info guys!

PS. - The 9700 pro is STILL a great card, my son tortures it with UT2004 every day, lol!

Just ordered my X800XL as well.

I'm not even going to install PREY until this card arrives. My 9800 Pro was awesome but definitely had some trouble playing that game at 1680 X 1050.

I hope this one runs it at that resolution fine. Still using an old P4 2.4, currently running at 2.7.

Meh I need a new pc.

I noticed these deals several days ago as well just b/c I was looking for an AGP card for a 3rd rig.

Is it just me or does it seem like an X850 pro overclocked would beat an x800xl overclocked. I say this b/c the X800XLs OC like crap, whereas the X850 pro doesn't.

I don't think the x850 pros will unlock b/c they're not VIVO... then again, i could be wrong.

it's pretty comparable unless you get a nice overclock on the x850xl or are able to unlock the 4 extra pipes. i decided to just get the x800xl because i didn't want to take a chance the x850 i got would not be unlockable. well that and the fact the x800xl was in stock and the x850 was preorder when i ordered mine.

As stated before, the x800 XL runs much faster at higher settings. Putting everything at the lowest setting, both in the drivers and in-game, I got about an 88.9fps average in the CS:Source Stress Test. After numerous tests, the fastest settings were when I set my 6.6 Cat's to 2xAA, 2xAF and High Quality Minmaps. Then in-game everything was set to high, with v-sync off, 2xAA and 4xAF, and with HDR on full. That took my average fps from 88.9 to 91.5. I can play HL2 with 40-70+ with these settings, and it is very playable even on my system(specs below).

the only problem is that most if not all of the x850pro's that ATI is selling in this deal have the last 4 pipelines lazer-cut. meaning that you cant unlock them. i think before that was the way to go, but now the x800xl is. also if you are putting one of these cards in a SFF like i am, you have to get the x800xl because the x850pro is a dual-slot card and will not fit in a shuttle.

I currently have a 6600gt (non-overclocked) - would an upgrade to an x800xl be worth it? I'm currently running an AthlonXP 2500 @ 2.1ghz, 1gig ram ...

I mostly play Civ4 (starts to stutter at 1280x1024) and Thief 3, but would like to play the newest Hitman.

I've seen rumblings out there of a 7600gt on AGP coming out in the next month or so. Or, would it be worth upgrading to the 7800gs?

-(Xyphox)- said:
LOL, just say, Women i am getting this card :p

Bad plan. First of all it's a bit rude. Secondly, it's the honest and truthful. As my dad always taught me, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Nope, what you do is dislodge your current card or do something else to make it appear broken. Tell your wife it's not working for some reason, then you buy this refurb, because it's a good deal.

Sure it's a bit deceitful, but you're not actually lying :p

after you get the card (surprisingly shipped overnight), sell card formerly known as broken.

-(Xyphox)- said:
. . . Women i am getting this card . . .

This implies the man has more than one wife -- no way he'll be able to afford to buy computer hardware ;).

Edit: And whee! I feel giddy . . . $113 to upgrade my 9800Pro-with-VPU-Recovery-Errors . . .

Slapped my X800XL in...played about 15-20 min and box locked up. Yeap, I ran driver cleaner before, removed my ti4600, installed latest ATI drivers after downloading. Tried a different game.....serious sam second encounter. Left it sitting in the menu screen @ 1600XL and eventually started artifacting *sighs*.

Took case off pc...the fricking fan isn't running . Touched the heatsink & almost burned my skin off.

Back it goes!

:rolleyes: :confused: :(

Robstar said:
Slapped my X800XL in...played about 15-20 min and box locked up. Yeap, I ran driver cleaner before, removed my ti4600, installed latest ATI drivers after downloading. Tried a different game.....serious sam second encounter. Left it sitting in the menu screen @ 1600XL and eventually started artifacting *sighs*.

Took case off pc...the fricking fan isn't running . Touched the heatsink & almost burned my skin off.

Back it goes!

:rolleyes: :confused: :(

Lame...that said, once you hear that fan running, you'll wanna take off and buy a Zalmans. The fan was annoyingly loud. I don't need absolute silence, but it was like a jet was starting....the zalmans works much better and keeps it cooler too :)

nilepez said:
Lame...that said, once you hear that fan running, you'll wanna take off and buy a Zalmans. The fan was annoyingly loud. I don't need absolute silence, but it was like a jet was starting....the zalmans works much better and keeps it cooler too :)

I agree, however in my case, the AC silencers work much better than stock.

I max out at 61c load with 35% fan speed on an already quiet cooler :) I love ATI tray tools.

My x800 XL was DOA. I tried it in two different systems and it was a no go. System wouldn't even POST with it. Fan wasn't running, it was dead. I decided to go with the new x850 Pro as a replacement instead of dealing with another refurb card. Hopefully, the x850 works out.

Nice deal. I couldn't resist getting an X800XL. It will allow me to put off fully upgrading until the DX10 cards arrive. I should get it just in time to play Prey. :p

I just ordered the x800xl. I have a 9800pro. Hopefully I can get a little money for it.

I am going to use it to play Titan Quest (once they fix the bugs), Dungeon Siege2 expansion (August), Neverwinter Nights 2 (September), and Oblivion co-op (once they finish making it)

Back