hot deal on ati AGP cards

some items are refurbs, but the non-refurb x850 seems like a good deal to jump on.
at least all of the cards come with the standard ati 1yr warranty.

x800xl beats the x850 pro barely in most benchmarks and game fps's.
because of the 16 pipes vs 12. even tho the x850pro is clocked higher.

i ended up getting the refurb x800xl, since new on pricewatch these are still in the 260 range.
good deal since you get the 1yr warranty.

5% off with promo code 1439!!!!!!!
ok, so I totally ordered one.
I've been using a 9700 pro for 4 years now, and with a 19 widescreen....and I don't need to say how much THAT sucks.

^_^

I've got a question for you guys. Do you think upgrading from an ATI 9800 Pro w/128 MB to an x800XL w/256 MB will show a noticable improvement in games or should I not even bother? I plan on building a new rig around Q3/Q4 of next year, but if it's possible to squeeze any more life out of my current desktop, I wouldn't mind spending an additional $100 to do so.

most benchmarks show the x800xl is twice as fast as a 9800 pro.
there's not much choice out there anymore for agp. this is pretty much it :(

FlamingPanther said:
5% off with promo code 1439!!!!!!!
ok, so I totally ordered one.
I've been using a 9700 pro for 4 years now, and with a 19 widescreen....and I don't need to say how much THAT sucks.

^_^

I too, have had a 9700 pro for around 4 years. And its been a hell of a card. I guess its upgrade time though.

i bought a referb x800xt pe from ati.com for $200 a few months ago, great deal. It also has a 3 year warrenty.

For those of you worrying about getting a possible refurb, don't. ATI tests all these products and gives them a 1 year warranty still so there's no reason for you to worry about them. ATI won't intentionally sell faulty products.

Okay, here's the deal. I too have a 9800 Pro, with the below(see sig) system specs. First off, I only have a 350 watt PSU, however its an Antec Smart Power. Will that handle the updgrade to the x800 XL? Also, I need someone to convince me that it's worth the upgrade, since I won't be able to build a new pc for almost another year(if I'm lucky). Then I can beg my wife to let me get it. :)

I upgraded my AGP card in January from a Hercules Prophet 9800 pro 128mb to a bbATI x850pro 256mb. I got it on ebay for $110 shipped. I have noticed a DRAMATIC difference in games. Mine x850 pro not unlock to 16 pipelines but I was able to squeeze ~ 100Mhz out of the clock and memory

* 9800Pro 128MB @ 408/357 *

3dMark06 - 832
3dMark05 - 2798
3dMark03 - 6591

* x850Pro 256MB @ 500/500 (Stock) *

3dMark06 - 1731
3dMark05 - N/A
3dMark03 - 10913

* x850Pro 256MB @ 590/610 *

3dMark06 - 2042
3dMark05 - 6229
3dMark03 - 12485

Do with it what you will, I'm not a sales rep. for ATI but I'm happy with mine.

Just placed an order for an x800xl, hopefully it'll help my desktop last for one more year before I can build a new rig.

Thanks OP, thanks to FlamingPanther for the 5% off discount code, and thanks to everyone else for your help. :)

EnFoRcEr!! said:
Okay, here's the deal. I too have a 9800 Pro, with the below(see sig) system specs. First off, I only have a 350 watt PSU, however its an Antec Smart Power. Will that handle the updgrade to the x800 XL? Also, I need someone to convince me that it's worth the upgrade, since I won't be able to build a new pc for almost another year(if I'm lucky). Then I can beg my wife to let me get it. :)

yes because only the x850pro requires a 350watt or more PSU.
the x800xl doesn't need a power connector to run.

PTNL said:
some items are refurbs, but the non-refurb x850 seems like a good deal to jump on.
at least all of the cards come with the standard ati 1yr warranty.

I don't know how the x850pro compares to the x800xl, but given that a new AGP X800xl generally runs well over $200.00, I think that the x800xl deal is smoking hot (if you're looking to upgrade an older system).

Of course if the x850pro is a faster card, then it's probably worth waiting till it's released.

I've bought the PCIE XL last year and have no regrets at all.

Just bought an 800XL as well, the deal was too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for the coupon code!

ditto! just bought the x800xl agp card. danke for the 5% savings... atleast help deduct from that riduculous 15dollars to ship a card. BS! they get discounted shipping rates, yet they charge that much....

subscription----thanks for the 5% off code!!! x850pro----> XT PE here i come!!!!

I have a 6800GT that is starting to show artifacts and banding and was wanting to replace it. How do these compare performance wise to a stock 6800GT?

The X800XL is about the same, if not a little better from what I read...

The X850 will give you a decent boost allowing maybe that next resolution or AA/AF level. (also speaking from reviews)

Thanks read the article, looks good for the PRO. Have also read about some pro's being able to be unlocked to allow 850XT performance (extra 4 pipelines). Any validity to this for the cards they are selling? And if so that should be better performance then the 6800Ultra? Correct?

yeah i was wondering the samething. if anyone has gotten one of these 850pro's from ATI, were you able to unlock it?? or was the ram chips the 2.0 ones???

Get the X850Pro (to flash it to X850XT PE), not the X800XL.

And yes, it's like a generation leap from a 9800 Pro, get it, you can comfortably play any current game with an X800XT or X850XT.

I'm looking for one last graphics card upgrade before moving to PCI express, so I want something cheap. On ATi's website, the 9800SE claims to be 256 bit and have 8 pipelines, so what is the difference between the 9800SE and the Pro? Just faster clocks? I'm not sure about what ATI claims the specs of their 9800SE are, because most places sell the 9800SE with 128 bit or 4 pipelines, so do you think I can trust what they say?

The 9800Se from what I hear is almost like a 9600xt, maybe a LITTLE faster.

That will struggle to play any title today above medium settings, and about 1024 res

I'm thinking about jumping on one of these cards. I don't game much but when I do, my 9500 PRO really struggles with my 20" widescreen. :D

Varmint said:
Get the X850Pro (to flash it to X850XT PE), not the X800XL.

And yes, it's like a generation leap from a 9800 Pro, get it, you can comfortably play any current game with an X800XT or X850XT.

Seems like the better question is which is faster without flashing: the x800xl or the 850pro. Of course i the pro always flashes to an xtpe and enables all the pipes, then the answer is obvious, but I'm under the impression that that is not the case.

I still haven't gotten a Shipping confirmation yet.
I know that it is july 4th weekend, but I ordered thursday.

*Sigh*

It's not going to be here until the 12th is it?

*sniffle*

My 9700 Pro has been the best video card I ever had, most money i've ever spent on a single computer part, and still the best bang for the buck. it's lasted me almost 4 years.
Jumping just from an 8500 to a 9700, with all my friends running Geforce 2s.
Everyone had a 9700 pro after seeing what my Rig could do.

I just haven't been able to let it go, even with all my friends moving to SLI etc.
*Sniffle*

This parting will be bittersweet.

same, i ordered thursday morning, and haven't gotten shipping confirmation either.
i tried to cancel my order, so that i could re order with the 5% off coupon code. but they denied it, no reason given. wtf

stag3 said:
i tried to cancel my order, so that i could re order with the 5% off coupon code. but they denied it, no reason given. wtf

Even though you haven't recieved shipping confirmation, it might have been shipped out already. In that case, it's kind of too late to cancel.

The discount code doesn't seem to work for CDN orders though...d'oh

I so want to do this having a 6600gt agp myself, but I think I'm gonna hold off and save my money till I can upgrade fully to AM2 or Conroe.

Back