HOT: AquaMedic Nano Wave 9 $109.99

For those into nano reefs this seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=367

aquamedic.jpg

That looks pretty sweet, actually. Especially the dedicated refugium light. It's basically all the mods that people did to the JBJ cubes, built right in. Now, just throw a 70w halide over it and you're set!

-q

btw... I didn't know that nanotuners was still in business.

Didn't know there was a nano reef market...That looks cool as hell...well, I would like more specs and actual pics of the thing up and going.

people on this forum I'm sure could even rig something up for cooling with that lol

Glow said:
people on this forum I'm sure could even rig something up for cooling with that lol

it makes a crappy resorvior, if it has a UV lamp to kill bacteria, that could be swell

To answer a few questions:

This is a new item so there are no reviews or anything else to go off of other then name

Aqua medic is a very good company making mid-high level products that last a long time, so if there name is on it, thats good enough for me. :D

Nanos are very popular in the marine community, the built in refuge and skimmer are great for establishing a trouble free, long lasting system. Basically the refuge is a seprate compartment to grow algae to help clean the water and reduce the ammount of algae in the main system (as well as reduce water changes, and increase stability)

The skimmer is nothing fancy except that it is built in so there is no possibility for it to overflow or generally screw up, definetly a plus.

The lighting (i assume) is a dual 24w power compact fixture that takes normal "PC" bulbs (hellolights.com is a good place to get them) and need to be replaced every year or so.

I don't know what the msrp is, the site has $129 marked out and $109 in place, but the text says $169 (The $169 price is around average for a nano with compact florescents and a skimmer. so I think that is the real price)

In this nano you should be able to keep reef, fish, and inverts pretty easy so long as they are small. Yes some starfish could go in here so long as you feed it (as opposed to a larger tank which they just forage for food). :D

On a side note, which I assume people are joking, a Marine system needs to have a MAX temp of around 82f-85f and can have NO contact with copper whatsoever (unless you have one or two fish and thats it, snails, crabs, starfish, corals, etc... will die otherwise)

And yes, marine systems can use UV such as the turbo twist, but sadly, this won't help you keep fish AND cool your computer... :D

Bottom line, $109 is a good price for what you get.

Ok, i'm board again.
L8s

Actually, Aquamedic is a rather high end supplier for small (relative term here... < 200 gallons) reef tanks. The AquaSpacelight fixtures that they make are considered by many in the reefing community to be the sexiest lights available and have very solid electronics as well.

As for this tank, the tank itself is a clone of the second revision of the JBJ nanocube... but with lots of extras. The price strikes me offhand as being a pretty darn good deal.

I wouldn't put a starfish in this tank, and to be honest, even keeping one fish in there is a stretch. Maybe some kind of tiny goby would be ok, but it is a *tiny* tank. The bioload from having to feed a starfish would extremely high for a tank of this size, and even with the fuge and skimmer nutrient removal and export would probabbly not be able to keep up with nutrient input. Bad Things Would Happen(tm)... and very fast in a tank this small.

Looks like the absolute perfect place to put a small zooanthid farm, though.

Also, 9 months is about the absolute longest that I would leave the bulbs in there before replacing them (and hellolights rocks!). Usually after about 6 months the bulbs have "slid", meaning that the output spectrum is centered on a much lower color temperature. This means that your corals are no longer getting the wavelenghts of light that the zooxanthellae (sp?) algae that live inside the corals need to continue sugar production. If this happens, the coral will either expel the algae into the water (turning the corals pale and stressing them severely) and wait for recolonization of zoox algae that can handle the new spectrum, or the coral will consume the algae as food and eventually face the same sitation. In my experience, it is FAR better to throw down a little extra money and replace your bulbs early, as coral specimens can be quite pricey compared to replacement bulbs.

Anyways, this tank would be a great start to somebody in reefkeeping. Just remember: ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST.

-q

Do you have any personal favorite web sites that talk about maintaining these coral reefs for something like this. Google isn't my friend today.

Back