HOT!!! Antivirus software for $4.99

Heh, I hopped on the kaspersky free after MIR. I have 47 days left on my last free after rebate buy!

The new nortons are really good. I dont know why people still hate them. I have been using the new versions for the last two years and they have probably been the least obtrusive out of any antiviruses I have tried. Never blocking unnecessary stuff.

ESET Nod32 and Kaspersky are the only two on there that should be considered. Everything else is crap

Kaspersky should never be considered. I hate kaspersky with a passion. I had to manage about 150 pc's with that pos AV. It rarely actually caught viruses so it didn't actually do its job and then it would mess with legitimate programs actually making my job worse.

Norton has been very highly rated the past couple of years. I guess they were bad for so long, people still write them off. $5 is a good price for ESET and Norton... Maybe throw Kapersky in there too. You can get these for free all the time after rebate, but the small price might be worth it to some not to have to bother with rebates (I fall into that camp).

That said, I still love Bitdefender more than any AV I've used.

ESET likes to flag files like crazy. meh i use WSE and malware bytes

I do quite a bit of surfing and downloading and have been using ESET for 5-6 years now and I don't have any issues with it flagging files like crazy.

I use Nortons, but it comes free for comcast users for last four years so I haven't had to buy in a while. BTW Nortons used to suck back in the day, Been quite happy the last few years with it.

Great price on NOD32. Bought two just to have. Never a problem with it and light on resources!

Sucks that these are only the antivirus and don't include the firewall packages. Otherwise $5 for any of these is a pretty darn good deal

/still using Vipre 2010

Sucks that these are only the antivirus and don't include the firewall packages. Otherwise $5 for any of these is a pretty darn good deal

/still using Vipre 2010

I have been using Vipre for 2 years now as well and I am very happy with it. Very light weight and does the job.

I think I'm going to get rid of this thing. Flagging things I don't want it to flag and I can't tell it to just stfu and stop bothering me, not to mention it's preventing things from running that I want to run. I wouldn't mind it if it was easy to just tell it to "stop detecting this file" BEFORE IT JUST OUTRIGHT DECIDES TO QUARANTINE AND/OR (the or part is for after I tell it stop auto cleaning...) NOT LET ME EXECUTE IT, but by default it comes equipped to just get rid of crap, stop execution, without consulting me first. Too overprotective for my tastes. I need to outright disable its shields to run what I want. I think I might just go back to Avast. I can't tell whether it's doing anything half the time, but I'm starting to think I prefer that to this. I don't need this program doing things without my permission. I don't think I've had a virus or anything in ages anyway. Regularly do MWB scans and come up clean.

For instance, I was just trying to do a Windows update at its suggestion, since I haven't in ages. Comes out and starts complaining about how there are temporary files being made, and it ended up preventing a few of the Windows Update packages from getting installed because I went and trusted it and said "fine, don't let those execute". This needs a "get off my lawn and advise me from afar" mode, BAD. Reminds me of the older bad days of antivirus, just without the resource usage. I think this thing's just going to cause me to get uber pissed as time goes on, as I'm constantly having to battle it.

Just my 2 cents.

I think I'm going to get rid of this thing. Flagging things I don't want it to flag and I can't tell it to just stfu and stop bothering me, not to mention it's preventing things from running that I want to run. I wouldn't mind it if it was easy to just tell it to "stop detecting this file" BEFORE IT JUST OUTRIGHT DECIDES TO QUARANTINE AND/OR (the or part is for after I tell it stop auto cleaning...) NOT LET ME EXECUTE IT, but by default it comes equipped to just get rid of crap, stop execution, without consulting me first. Too overprotective for my tastes. I need to outright disable its shields to run what I want. I think I might just go back to Avast. I can't tell whether it's doing anything half the time, but I'm starting to think I prefer that to this. I don't need this program doing things without my permission.

For instance, I was just trying to do a Windows update at its suggestion, since I haven't in ages. Comes out and starts complaining about how there are temporary files being made, and it ended up preventing a few of the Windows Update packages from getting installed because I went and trusted it and said "fine, don't let those execute". This needs a "get off my lawn and advise me from afar" mode, BAD. Reminds me of the older bad days of antivirus, just without the resource usage. I think this thing's just going to cause me to get uber pissed as time goes on, as I'm constantly having to battle it.

Just my 2 cents.

let me get this straight, you were doing a windows update and you told it to not let files execute at the same time and you're upset at the software when the updates failed? lol sounds like you either need to review the settings of the program more closely, and/or be more aware of what you're doing.

ESET Nod32 and Kaspersky are the only two on there that should be considered. Everything else is crap

Nonsense... Avira, trend micro, panda all comparable to those two if not better on some cases.

Kaspersky should never be considered. I hate kaspersky with a passion. I had to manage about 150 pc's with that pos AV. It rarely actually caught viruses so it didn't actually do its job and then it would mess with legitimate programs actually making my job worse.

If you manage 150 machines and rely on an antivirus for security its time to consider replacing the guy managing the machines not the anti virus.

let me get this straight, you were doing a windows update and you told it to not let files execute at the same time and you're upset at the software when the updates failed? lol sounds like you either need to review the settings of the program more closely, and/or be more aware of what you're doing.

Well golly, color me strange for not expecting the antivirus program to do false positives on an official windows update that it's telling me to do.

I'm always under the impression that if threats come in, they're going to come in at any time. Just because I'm doing a Windows update does not mean that the files it's flagging in temp are totally safe (especially when they're named "<random crap>.<with a random/no extension>"). Not to mention Windows update doesn't make a note of its updates failing until after the entire installation is done.

How does this work? I ordered 1 copy of panda, eset nod32, kaspersky, and trend, got a receipt but can't find a download link. My receipt says "1-2 days to ship"...?

Well golly, color me strange for not expecting the antivirus program to do false positives on an official windows update that it's telling me to do.

I'm always under the impression that if threats come in, they're going to come in at any time. Just because I'm doing a Windows update does not mean that the files it's flagging in temp are totally safe (especially when they're named "<random crap>.<with a random/no extension>"). Not to mention Windows update doesn't make a note of its updates failing until after the entire installation is done.

just go here and look at false alarms list... they all have them, it's not that as straightforward as you think http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

if you have that much trouble with AV stuff then get rid of it all together and be smart about where you browse and what you download, it really isn't that difficult

just go here and look at false alarms list... they all have them, it's not that as straightforward as you think http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

if you have that much trouble with AV stuff then get rid of it all together and be smart about where you browse and what you download, it really isn't that difficult

I already am. In the past, I've gone for probably a few months without any antivirus and did not have issues. That's not really the crux of the issue.

What I'm annoyed about is how this thing just does things without my permission, and then makes me requires its permission to do anything that it finds questionable. I don't mind false positives in theory. I just hate them actually messing with my ability to do things that I want. I need to find a set of settings for this program that will make it less intrusive and more advisory in nature... if I'm going to keep it around anyway.

So it looks like Norton is out of stock (.. though its digital). It seems people have different opinions but out of the ones left in stock.. which one to get?

So it looks like Norton is out of stock (.. though its digital). It seems people have different opinions but out of the ones left in stock.. which one to get?

I personally prefer Kaspersky but that don't mean much.

How is Kaspersky when it comes to being intrusive... compared to, say, NOD32 or Avast? I'm likely going to get rid of NOD32 at this rate, so I'm going to go back to Avast unless I can find something that's basically a better version of Avast.

Which one of these should I put on my SLOWEST win7 machine ? it's an old SL500 with 4G ram, ssd & a P8400 ?

Back