*HOT* 9 Hours of Classical Music $5.99! - 100 Greatest Classical Masterpieces Vol. 2

So how did you like it? This was my second classical music purchase (the first was the 100 Beethoven tracks for $0.99) and it was all new to me. What tracks did you like the best? My favorite was the guitar concert from Vivaldi. I liked that type of relaxing guitar, almost like spanish guitar.

This is a decent starter, you can't expect to love or hate classical music based on five dollars worth of music. Piano concertos and concerto playing in general is good, however there is another side of the music that computerpro3 left out: symphonic repertoire. (I say that because I have a degree in bass trombone, and symphonies complete me, much like piano concertos do for you.

If you want to try something different, I saw earlier that someone asked about certain labels to listen on, deutsche grammophon is by far some of the best audio quality (and orchestral quality) that you can get. I have days of music on my hard drives, and the cd's that are DG are much more distinguishable than that of any other label (maybe bmg, cbs, naxos and telarc are close) even to someone who isn't trained to listen to classical music.

If you want to steer away from the baroque and classical music period, try some romantic music with Mahler, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, or Shostakovich (although he is modern). Mahlers second, and fifth symphony is some of the greatest music ever made (and is not just music for musicians).

This is a decent starter, you can't expect to love or hate classical music based on five dollars worth of music. Piano concertos and concerto playing in general is good, however there is another side of the music that computerpro3 left out: symphonic repertoire. (I say that because I have a degree in bass trombone, and symphonies complete me, much like piano concertos do for you.

If you want to try something different, I saw earlier that someone asked about certain labels to listen on, deutsche grammophon is by far some of the best audio quality (and orchestral quality) that you can get. I have days of music on my hard drives, and the cd's that are DG are much more distinguishable than that of any other label (maybe bmg, cbs, naxos and telarc are close) even to someone who isn't trained to listen to classical music.

If you want to steer away from the baroque and classical music period, try some romantic music with Mahler, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, or Shostakovich (although he is modern). Mahlers second, and fifth symphony is some of the greatest music ever made (and is not just music for musicians).

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the info. Got any recommendations for a good all around cd? There are so many choices that I am kind of lost.

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the info. Got any recommendations for a good all around cd? There are so many choices that I am kind of lost.

Beethoven 5 is an excellent starter for music and to find great recordings. This link is the recording to the vienna philharmonic playing it in the 80's I think. Its on the DG label I was talking about and its not at a bad price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001GPX/ref=nosim/classiccdguid-20

The next link is my favorite Beethoven 5 recording. Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic playing that and Beethoven 6 "pastorale". This would be optimal to get because 6 is also a symphony that you would easily recognize.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255708857&sr=1-1

If you were to listen to the aforementioned cd pack for 5 dollars and then listen to this, your ears may bleed, so try it! Its a great way to get a general understanding of the music.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the recommends guys.

I ended up buying the Karajan one that you recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255708857&sr=1-1

I will let you know how it sounds later this week, when I have time to really listen to it.

Solid choice.

If you're more into precision performances, look into George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. Their Beethoven recordings are excellent.

Didn't realize there were so many classical buffs on [H]. Rachmaninoff on, dudes!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Solid choice.

If you're more into precision performances, look into George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. Their Beethoven recordings are excellent.

Didn't realize there were so many classical buffs on [H]. Rachmaninoff on, dudes!

Maybe I will buy a Szell recording and compare it. Got any recommends on Amazon?

Thanks

Almost any Szell recording with Cleveland is a gold mine. Id say pick a symphony, you won't be disappointed.

I just bought this one

Haydn: Early London Symphonies
by George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra

I will listen compare all three of my classical albums this week and let you know. Thanks again for the heads up

I just bought this one

Haydn: Early London Symphonies
by George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra

I will listen compare all three of my classical albums this week and let you know. Thanks again for the heads up

It will be a good performance of them, but I don't particularly care for Haydn's earlier works. Tons of people do though, so please don't let my personal preferences dissuade you! It's still great music, it just doesn't touch me personally. My professor says that I'll love them when I'm older....who knows.

All that i can say is WOW. The quality is amazing on the Szell recording. Thanks again for the recommendation. I am glad that I purchased the 100 greatest too because it was my first classical purchase. I think I am a classical music fan for life now, haha. :D

Of course.

Im thinking its time to jump you into Mahler. Possibly one of the most emotional composers ever, and definitely one of the greatest.

Pick up, Mahler 5 played by the Berlin Phil or Lucerne Festival Orchestra conducted under Claudio Abbado. If you want American orchestras, the NY phil has a good one under Zubin Meta and Chicago is always a sure bet (because of their brass)

Mahler wrote 9 symphonies the first being titan, the ninth about death and the end of his life. All of his symphonies mean something to the listener, and 5 is the best starting Mahler because it is very well rounded. In the first movement, its almost like you are on another planet. The 4th movement is considerably THE most emotional movement in romantic music. Happy hunting.

What genre are you looking for? Symphonies? Solo violin or piano? Concertos? Cello stuff?

You are right. I assumed that you wanted to continue down the path of symphonies and programmatic music. If you want more individual instrumentation, then im sure we can recommend something worthwhile.

Of course.

Im thinking its time to jump you into Mahler. Possibly one of the most emotional composers ever, and definitely one of the greatest.

Pick up, Mahler 5 played by the Berlin Phil or Lucerne Festival Orchestra conducted under Claudio Abbado. If you want American orchestras, the NY phil has a good one under Zubin Meta and Chicago is always a sure bet (because of their brass)

Mahler wrote 9 symphonies the first being titan, the ninth about death and the end of his life. All of his symphonies mean something to the listener, and 5 is the best starting Mahler because it is very well rounded. In the first movement, its almost like you are on another planet. The 4th movement is considerably THE most emotional movement in romantic music. Happy hunting.

+1 Mahler is great. I agree with you in saying that he's probably one of the most emotionally-charged composers ever. The range of emotions he can conjure in just one movement of his symphonies is amazing...I never get tired of listening to his music.

Also, good choice with Berlin/Lucerne and Abbado. I have a live recording of Mahler's 5th performed by Berlin and Abbado and it's probably the best performance of his 5th that I've listened to.

I've been exploring Mahler's 9th lately and it's been good fun.:cool:

+1 Mahler is great. I agree with you in saying that he's probably one of the most emotionally-charged composers ever. The range of emotions he can conjure in just one movement of his symphonies is amazing...I never get tired of listening to his music.

Also, good choice with Berlin/Lucerne and Abbado. I have a live recording of Mahler's 5th performed by Berlin and Abbado and it's probably the best performance of his 5th that I've listened to.

I've been exploring Mahler's 9th lately and it's been good fun.:cool:

Yeah if the end of the world were ever put into music, Mahler 9 fourth movement is exactly what I see it. The struggle and the eventual acceptance, ah im going to go listen to that now!

Yeah if the end of the world were ever put into music, Mahler 9 fourth movement is exactly what I see it. The struggle and the eventual acceptance, ah im going to go listen to that now!

I love the 4th movement. In my opinion the 2nd Movement, in C major, is musical perfection. ;)

Back