HOT - 64GB Crucial M4 $80 - No Rebate

That deal is nuclear hot. Finally, I got in on an SSD deal before they went OOS. Thanks, OP!

Would I notice a difference going from an OCZ Agility 1?
I game, but most of them are installed on 3 old 250gb WD drives in RAID-0.
It sure would be interesting to try this out...

Yikes. In for 1. promo code can only be used once per account. Can't beat SATA III and that 400Mb/s read speed. Thanks op. Looks like I'll have a new ssd for my OS, suppose I can use the other for games now. ;)

Those write speeds are a bit low aren't they? Most write speeds I've seen are up in the 190+ range.

Then again, I don't know much about SSDs..

Those write speeds are a bit low aren't they? Most write speeds I've seen are up in the 190+ range.

Then again, I don't know much about SSDs..

Smaller size SSD have slower speeds due to the amount of chips they have. I'm wondering how these do in Raid.

I've been looking at this drive for a bit now. Newegg had it at $150 with the $35 off which wasn't a deal at all. When they price dropped it to match what other people are selling that drive at it made it a steal. I ordered without hesitating.

Smaller size SSD have slower speeds due to the amount of chips they have. I'm wondering how these do in Raid.

this. The 128gb m4 does double the write speed, which usually is the case with larger SSDs. I wouldn't shy away from the deal based on write speed anyways. You won't find better bang for the buck considering it is new tech and the read speed alone is phenomenal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Decided to go in for one.
Should I make this faster SSD my boot drive and put my games on my Vertex 1 or vice versa?
By the way, thanks OP!

Let's say we stack it up against a OCZ Vertex 2 drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550) or this Kingston 96GB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004APRLTY?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=at055-20)

Which would be the better deal, if it went into a ultra portable notebook like the Lenovo x120e?

M4, M4, M4! :D. The ocz performs those write speeds out of the box but after a week or 2 of use, it is known to drop down to lower levels due to poor garbage collection. It does support GC/trim as most modern SSDs do, but unless they've given it a firmware update I don't believe the idle GC on the drives have changed. The Kingston probably is similar to my current SSD, I avg around 90mb/s write speed and 200mb/s read.

Dark - use the m4 for OS and your most used apps and the vertex for whatever games you can fit on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Llama[Style];1037262594 said:
M4, M4, M4! :D. The ocz performs those write speeds out of the box but after a week or 2 of use, it is known to drop down to lower levels due to poor garbage collection, unless they've given it a firmware update. The Kingston probably is similar to my current SSD, I avg around 90mb/s write speed and 200mb/s read.

Dark - use the m4 for OS and your most used apps and the vertex for whatever games you can fit on it.

Damn you, Llama, because of your post, I am not $86.59 poorer..

In for 1..

Llama[Style];1037262594 said:

Thanks for the advice buddy.
I wish I could understand why it is better to have the OS on the faster drive. Seems like once the OS loads everything into the memory at boot its not doing much... no?
Then you have the question of paging files... I should just make a new thread haha. :D

Thanks for the advice buddy.
I wish I could understand why it is better to have the OS on the faster drive. Seems like once the OS loads everything into the memory at boot its not doing much... no?
Then you have the question of paging files... I should just make a new thread haha. :D

To use it to it's fullest. I mean after getting two of these I'm gonna use my 256GB C300 for RTS games. I want my daily task to be super duper fast!

Read and write speed mean little for an OS drive. You shouldnt be doing large transfers on an SSD to begin with, so really those are the last specs you should be looking at.

In for one, going to use it in my HTPC instead of the Intel 320 80Gb I got. Probably put that in my laptop and sell the one that was in there.

If you want the drive to stay fast for a long time, its best to partition it slightly smaller when you go to install windows. The drive will see the un-partitioned space as more area for GC, and will make the drive last longer as well. For example, my Samsung 470 is partitioned to 100Gb so there is 28Gb for the drive. Then its best not to fill in more then 30-50% of the drive. I have about 85Gb free and dont install anything else to it. Drive still has out of box performance with no issues.

Damn you, Llama, because of your post, I am not $86.59 poorer..

In for 1..

Lmao. If it were a vertex 3 we would be having a different conversation. Those are ridiculously priced though. Better bang for the buck with the M4.

Dark - I agree with azn. I just like everything to feel much quicker. To load in an instant. For games the only difference you will notice is loading screens themselves. Unless you are loading large maps and such, you won't notice a difference, real time game play there is no difference at all.

Last edited:
To use it to it's fullest. I mean after getting two of these I'm gonna use my 256GB C300 for RTS games. I want my daily task to be super duper fast!

See that I can totally understand, but what if my daily tasks are just things like browsing the internet, watching movies, and playing music? I honestly can't imagine any conceivable speed increase with those tasks. I am not saying they won't be faster, but when Firefox only takes a quarter of a second to open I just don't see room for improvement.
Then again some games like WoW benefit immensely from a fast SDD; sometimes even with some room for improvement.

See that I can totally understand, but what if my daily tasks are just things like browsing the internet, watching movies, and playing music? I honestly can't imagine any conceivable speed increase with those tasks. I am not saying they won't be faster, but when Firefox only takes a quarter of a second to open I just don't see room for improvement.
Then again some games like WoW benefit immensely from a fast SDD; sometimes even with some room for improvement.

I mean everything feels "quicker" overall when using it as an OS drive but is the price worth what you get? That depends on the user. I know some people who are really anal about how the os "feels" that they think it's really worth it while some average person may not think it's worth it for the space they get.

A big plus from an SSD is you can disable things like superfetch and search. This clears up more available ram. If you dont mess with timings and OCing a lot, you can then make a ram drive for your browser's temp folders to make browsing a whole lot faster.

A big plus from an SSD is you can disable things like superfetch and search. This clears up more available ram. If you dont mess with timings and OCing a lot, you can then make a ram drive for your browser's temp folders to make browsing a whole lot faster.

Yea since I got my SSD I have always had superfetch and indexing disabled, but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus on whether or not to use a page file with an SSD.
As for the boot drive vs. game drive debate, maybe I can find some time test this myself if no one shares any experiences with this. This seems rather significant.
At least one thing is for sure, either one of these SSDs should perform better for gaming than my current 3x250gb raid-0 WD blacks from like 8 years ago with 16mb cache.

Looks like someone goofed on the newegg deals topic.
Thanks for posting!

Looks like someone goofed on the newegg deals topic.
Thanks for posting!

they just lowered the price of the ssd this morning. Promo code has been on since the 11th. Which also expires today. So better get in for one before the promo code disappears and the price drop disappears as well!

Llama[Style];1037262746 said:
they just lowered the price of the ssd this morning. Promo code has been on since the 11th. Which also expires today. So better get in for one before the promo code disappears and the price drop disappears as well!

ahhh :p sweet deal it is

Noooo... would've made a great boot drive for my HTPC. Hopefully some more stock later today.

You can get the 128gb for $180 with this coupon. CRUCIAL5XX

I just ordered one.

Had it in my cart and when I hit next to pay, I got an error it was out of stock. DOH!

Holy shit.. I just paid 90 for a used c300 like a month ago.. This is a killer deal.

why do i keep missing out on these great deals! First I missed out on the Kingston 64GB for $65 and now the M4. Here's hoping they'll get more in stock today! will be refreshing that page to death... lol.

Back