Hot: 42" LG 42LK450 LCD. Makes Perfect PC display with 4:4:4 support $449 Free Ship

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a couple questions.
1) Is a 1 year warranty common with LCD tvs?
2) Would this set be overkill for a person who will only play a little xbox and watch adult swim cartoons? (my sister)

This TV CAN, key word there, make a great display for a computer, IF you win the panel lottery. I had to buy mine locally, and even then I had to go to about 10 stores to finally find one that was an IPS panel. The VA panel version is a fine TV, but not very good as a big monitor.
Good price though, I paid 497 at BB for mine after I got them to pricematch Walmart.

Would you recommend this for just TV shows and movies? Would I be better off with a higher refresh rate for those sorts of things? Not too savvy on TV specifications, so always appreciate some advice.

I did a massive amount of research before getting mine, and I actually HAD the VA (D version, Y is IPS) before I got my Y version and even with that panel it was great. It is a superb TV at a ridiculously good price, and if you win the lottery you just got the cherry on top of the sundae. Refresh rates I can't really say, I looked at 60hz/120hz/240hz TVs and to my eyes the 60hz and Plasma seemed the most natural, the 120/240hz TVs looked flat out fake, especially animated movies of which I am a huge watcher (bless/curse you anime).
I would say go for it, but more as a TV, not as a monitor as text will not be pretty if it's a VA panel.

Would you recommend this for just TV shows and movies? Would I be better off with a higher refresh rate for those sorts of things? Not too savvy on TV specifications, so always appreciate some advice.

I got the higher end model of this one with which is 120hz, 2.4 ms, 150k:1 contrast and it's great for movies. You can turn the picture smoothing to High, Low or Off if you find the super smooth animation "fake".

That's because it smooths 24 fps movies and makes them 60 or 120 fps, so they seem more life-like, but less like what you're used to seeing in movies. Like I said, you can disable it and it'll look like any regular 24p movie.

I stream movies off my computer to it using an Argosy media player and everything works great. Also, the TV by default can play most movie formats including Divx, Xvid and H.264! It has a USB slot so you can hook up a hard drive to it directly if you want, it's pretty nice and I paid 650 for it a few months ago.

People like to latch on to "catchy phrases" like "panel lottery" and run with them. What I have discovered is most are still clueless, have done little to zero personal research themselves and 99.9% of the time have no clue what these catchy phrases they so freely use even mean exactly.

I've personally seen both panels. I can't tell a difference between the two viewing them from the POV of a computer user. They both look fantastic.

As not to offend anyone who tries and, rightfully so, make a point of "lottery panel" i.e. IPS vs TN, it's important to keep things in context here as to the intended application. With a 42" display you are basically going to have your entire peripheral vision inundated. The main contention between IPS and TN panels is that with a TN panel the viewing angle and color reproduction is not as good as an IPS panel. Yes, it's more desirable to have an IPS panel. Buy, by what degree or measure does one judge this against. Most people will use this display in a bedroom. Your bed will be off center / center from this display. For most, with a small bedroom, it would be difficult to discern between the two panels. A pair of human eyes, centered with a 42" display, IPS / TN from 3' to 4' viewing distance as I would. I saw no real difference. Now, walking into the bedroom, the TV in the corner, yes, the viewing angle had a slight brief haze to it until the angle was optimal. Folks, for $449 free shipping, IPS / TN, for a monitor, movies, your going to be golden. It's not a deal breaker as some would have you believe.

This is a very hot deal.

Last edited:
Oh I need to also nip something else in the bud here. Please listen carefully and pass this info on to your friends. These TV's make excellent monitors as long as you follow the guides on what to buy. Many many people have already done a lot of the hard work for you. But, in regards to 60hz, 120hz and 240hz, the only number you need be concerned with is "60hz". These TV's are not true 120hz in the sense that you think they are. I know that right there is confusing a lot of you. They do not, have not and who knows if they will ever make a true 120hz 32" ~ 36" ~ 40" ~ 42" LCD display etc etc. Correct me if I am wrong here. More people would absolutely own these larger displays if they had the right information, correct info, better info in one trusted location, handled by people that had not only have the passion about this sort of thing, but the intelligence along with people who actually owned these types of TV's that have to have very specific hardware specifications that are needed to make these lcd's excellent PC displays / monitors. Low latency and 4:4:4 support. Also, it doesn't hurt to find these "hard to find LCD sets" on-sale, like this one.

People like to latch on to "catchy phrases" like "panel lottery" and run with them. What I have discovered is most are still clueless, have done little to zero personal research themselves and 99.9% of the time have no clue what these catchy phrases they so freely use even mean exactly.

I've personally seen both panels. I can't tell a difference between the two viewing them from the POV of a computer user. They both look fantastic.

As not to offend anyone who tries and, rightfully so, make a point of "lottery panel" i.e. IPS vs TN, it's important to keep things in context here as to the intended application. With a 42" display you are basically going to have your entire peripheral vision inundated. The main contention between IPS and TN panels is that with a TN panel the viewing angle and color reproduction is not as good as an IPS panel. Yes, it's more desirable to have an IPS panel. Buy, by what degree or measure does one judge this against. Most people will use this display in a bedroom. Your bed will be off center / center from this display. For most, with a small bedroom, it would be difficult to discern between the two panels. A pair of human eyes, centered with a 42" display, IPS / TN from 3' to 4' viewing distance as I would. I saw no real difference. Now, walking into the bedroom, the TV in the corner, yes, the viewing angle had a slight brief haze to it until the angle was optimal. Folks, for $449 free shipping, IPS / TN, for a monitor, movies, your going to be golden. It's not a deal breaker as some would have you believe.

This is a very hot deal.
If you are referring to me, I never once said it was a bad deal for movies at 450, as a matter of fact I stated quite emphatically that this was a fantastic deal for movies irrelevant of which panel you end out with. The colors, when I had both and I compared them side by side, appeared to be more rich and vibrant on the IPS version. The aforementioned viewing angles were of course better as well. One of my primary concerns is that I connect my Transformer to it all the time and use a big ol' cable so I can browse the web and watch netflix. For web browsing, the TN panel fared worse than the IPS, as it is missing the 4:4:4 and seemed to scroll more slowly.

FYI, best buy has this on sale right now for $459.99 if you'd like to buy locally. if you go to the best buy website they make you jump through the hoops and get all the way to checkout to see the price...thought i'd save people the trouble.

I'm confused. I get that there are two panels. One is IPS. Is the other TN or VA? TN panels are 6 bit and look much worse than IPS, in my opinion. But VA panels are still 8 bit and the difference between IPS and VA is much less noticeable, again in my opinion.

I'm confused. I get that there are two panels. One is IPS. Is the other TN or VA? TN panels are 6 bit and look much worse than IPS, in my opinion. But VA panels are still 8 bit and the difference between IPS and VA is much less noticeable, again in my opinion.

It's either IPS or VA.

FYI, best buy has this on sale right now for $459.99 if you'd like to buy locally. if you go to the best buy website they make you jump through the hoops and get all the way to checkout to see the price...thought i'd save people the trouble.

Just another note. Amazon has it for $459. I just bought one from amazon! I don't see a S-Video port so will have to fine a S-Vid to HDMI adapter now.

And to think I almost bought a Panasonic TCP42X3 720P Plasma from best buy for $449. Or the TCP46X3 for $499.

I don't think such a thing exists. S-Video to HDMI?

Analog signal to digtal connection. What do you own that still uses such a dated connection?

I don't think such a thing exists. S-Video to HDMI?

Analog signal to digtal connection. What do you own that still uses such a dated connection?

I think I saw something about S-Vid to HDMI on ebay. Haven't looked in awhile.

The S-Video devices are, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, PSX.

Oh I need to also nip something else in the bud here. Please listen carefully and pass this info on to your friends. These TV's make excellent monitors as long as you follow the guides on what to buy. Many many people have already done a lot of the hard work for you. But, in regards to 60hz, 120hz and 240hz, the only number you need be concerned with is "60hz". These TV's are not true 120hz in the sense that you think they are. I know that right there is confusing a lot of you. They do not, have not and who knows if they will ever make a true 120hz 32" ~ 36" ~ 40" ~ 42" LCD display etc etc. Correct me if I am wrong here. More people would absolutely own these larger displays if they had the right information, correct info, better info in one trusted location, handled by people that had not only have the passion about this sort of thing, but the intelligence along with people who actually owned these types of TV's that have to have very specific hardware specifications that are needed to make these lcd's excellent PC displays / monitors. Low latency and 4:4:4 support. Also, it doesn't hurt to find these "hard to find LCD sets" on-sale, like this one.

Some sets are true 120hz in that they do 5:5 pulldown rather than still doing 3:2 for 1080/24 sources which defeats the point of 120hz. The next line up from the 450, the 520 line actually does 5:5 pulldown. Very important for alot of purists. 120hz isn't just a catch phrase, assuming they do it right. Strictly for computer monitor usage, 120hz is not important, the 4:4:4 subsampling feature is the key factor.

Great deal on a good sized gaming TV.

1) The colors, when I had both and I compared them side by side, appeared to be more rich and vibrant on the IPS version.

2) IPS viewing angles were of course better as well.

3) VA is missing the 4:4:4

4) VA seemed to scroll more slowly.
Your observations seem to agree with others who have compared the IPS and VA versions.

4:4:4 has not been confirmed on the VA panel, one person has mentioned that it's capable, whereas a few have mentioned it can't do 4:4:4. But no one has offered real proof, or at least descriptive testimony for or against. And some people really don't know the proper way to test for it.

Anyone who is serious about purchasing this TV, but wants to do some research first, may want to check out the owner's thread for this TV at AVS.

Great deal on a good sized gaming TV.

Your observations seem to agree with others who have compared the IPS and VA versions.

4:4:4 has not been confirmed on the VA panel, one person has mentioned that it's capable, whereas a few have mentioned it can't do 4:4:4. But no one has offered real proof, or at least descriptive testimony for or against. And some people really don't know the proper way to test for it.

Anyone who is serious about purchasing this TV, but wants to do some research first, may want to check out the owner's thread for this TV at AVS.
Yeah, half my research for this TV came from your fantastic thread over in the monitor subforum, alot from AVS too.
I did what someone on AVS suggested with a loupe and the VA version didn't have the square pixel setup (if I am even remembering WHAT it was that made it visually apparent for 4:4:4, either way the VA version didn't have it). Some incredibly smart people on that forum.

Ok, So I was impatient and cancelled my order on amazon. Went to Best Buy and found the set was listed at $499. They price matched it for me though at $459.

Anyways. Just doing quick research I have a 42LK450-UB.CUSYLH which I guess the Y indicates a S-IPS panel?! Played it a bit and it looks really good color wise.

Have to wait for some HDMI cables to arrive now as I only have component 1080i on the PS3.

Yep, Y indicates an IPS panel. I bought mine at Wal-Mart last month for $498 and I love the TV, fantastic picture. :D

Does anyone know if the 550 (the 120hz version of this set) shares the same low input lag of the 450?

Ok, So I was impatient and cancelled my order on amazon. Went to Best Buy and found the set was listed at $499. They price matched it for me though at $459.

What did you use to price match with, Amazon's price?

Alright, thank you! According to LG's website, this TV has a 1 year (parts/labor) warranty just in case it hasn't already been stated. (link)

Does anyone know if the 550 (the 120hz version of this set) shares the same low input lag of the 450?

It has decent enough input lag (game mode helps for console gaming), but still not as good as the 450, wouldn't make a great desktop monitor. Also lacks 4:4:4, the 520 and 550 series are definitely meant to be used as TVs.

Keep in mind that just about all TV's advertising themselves as 120Hz are not the same as 3D computer monitors that do 120Hz in 2D mode. Assuming it's the "120Hz gaming experience" you're after, you won't get that on TV's as they're essentially just frame doubling a 60Hz input signal (interpolating between frames to synthesize 120Hz, aka "Fake 120Hz"), whereas 3D computer monitors actually accept 120Hz input.

Alright, thank you! According to LG's website, this TV has a 1 year (parts/labor) warranty just in case it hasn't already been stated. (link)

Yep. I decided to pay squaretrade for a 4-year warranty which cost $86. Always a gamble on the warranty but I'd rather have it as a backup.

I also just did the loupe test. I for sure have the <<<< chevrons which mean IPS panel. Still not sure if that means S-IPS though.

Yep. I decided to pay squaretrade for a 4-year warranty which cost $86. Always a gamble on the warranty but I'd rather have it as a backup.

I also just did the loupe test. I for sure have the <<<< chevrons which mean IPS panel. Still not sure if that means S-IPS though.

It's too bad the 4 yr ST warranty is only for the purchased price since the price could go up past the $500 warranty coverage you purchased (List price: $699)

Also, I'll be expecting a VA panel since I'm ordering off Amazon and it's likely those panel types are more prolific. I'm sure I'll be happy with it regardless. It will be used mostly for just TV and movies, but I'm sure I'll end up trying to game on it eventually.

Last edited:
@ ArbY

If the repair of the warranty goes over the cost of the set they will just reimburse you the insured amount. Better than having a loss and tossing the set out or coming out of pocket to pay for repair.

Google "LG Panel Lottery 2011" will link to http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=142851.0

In short the product code will have a 42LK450-xx.xxxYxx, The Y means you MAY have a IPS panel. The loupe test is just using a magnifying lense to see each individual pixel color. If they have <<<<<< design it will be a S-IPS so they say.

There is no way to insure you will get a S-IPS panel, just luck as they won't take pictures or tell you the exact product code before shipping. I went to wal-mart earlier to buy a HDMI cable and found they are selling the 42LK450 for $498. I went to check the side though and it also had a Y in the product number. Doubt they cherry pick there sets.

I would of stuck with Amazon but was worried about it arriving when I wouldn't be home for delivery which in turn might get stolen, dropped, damaged from cold weather.

How do you mean exactly?

I thought you were insured only up to what the purchase price of the TV was with Square Trade warranties. So if the TV breaks and is beyond repair, they will send you a check for $500 even if the TV is now $699 (the list price). In such a case, you're out $199 since the same TV you bought is now more expensive. Do I have that right? Just a little confused as I haven't dealt with Square Trade personally.

Keep in mind that just about all TV's advertising themselves as 120Hz are not the same as 3D computer monitors that do 120Hz in 2D mode. Assuming it's the "120Hz gaming experience" you're after, you won't get that on TV's as they're essentially just frame doubling a 60Hz input signal (interpolating between frames to synthesize 120Hz, aka "Fake 120Hz"), whereas 3D computer monitors actually accept 120Hz input.

Nope, I was looking for a 120hz set for a better 24p content viewing experience... but I do plan to use it as a monitor. From September of 2007 up until February 2011 I used a Westinghouse TX42F430S as my PC monitor and absolutely miss it (Using a 23" LG IPS monitor now). The Westy was a VA panel and I can honestly say I prefer it over this LG IPS... the contrast and black levels I was used to just aren't there with this little guy. But If I was 'lucky' enough to get the IPS panel (talking about the 450 again) I guess I'd be happy. :)

thanks for this. i'm moderately interested in 120Hz gaming and just starting to look into it. this is helpful.

How do you mean exactly?

I thought you were insured only up to what the purchase price of the TV was with Square Trade warranties. So if the TV breaks and is beyond repair, they will send you a check for $500 even if the TV is now $699 (the list price). In such a case, you're out $199 since the same TV you bought is now more expensive. Do I have that right? Just a little confused as I haven't dealt with Square Trade personally.

If it is beyond repair they will send you payment for purchase price so I would/should be re-imbursed for $459.99. You will be out of the 199 as you didn't pay that price and can put that towards a new set which may be cheaper by then anyways.

Say around year 3 the set breaks and they just give you the money for the set I can put that towards a new set that may be even better.

I've seen some 3rd party warranties really sock it to ya and just pay you a depreciated value of the set with tons of stipulations.

If it is beyond repair they will send you payment for purchase price so I would/should be re-imbursed for $459.99. You will be out of the 199 as you didn't pay that price and can put that towards a new set which may be cheaper by then anyways.

Say around year 3 the set breaks and they just give you the money for the set I can put that towards a new set that may be even better.

I've seen some 3rd party warranties really sock it to ya and just pay you a depreciated value of the set with tons of stipulations.

That's true about upgrading after a complete failure. However it would be the cost of repair exceeding the insured amount rather than simply the failure. Here's some of the fine print:

THE VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE:

The value of your Care Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. Each time you file a valid claim, and we provide repair, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repairs.

Then if you file another valid claim with us on the same item, and repairs are estimated to cost more than the remaining value of your Care Plan, the remaining value of your Care Plan will be offered instead.

In addition, once you file a claim you'll be directed to an authorized service center. I might be inclined at that point to ask the service tech to deem the cost of repair to be greater than my warranty coverage. Hmmmm.

As far as warranty goes, most problems with a set are going to show within the first year. With the set being $450, adding on an additional $90 dollars, roughly 1/4 of the sets price doesn't make sense. Another thing I would suggest that most do not do that adds a lot of life to your electronics is investing in an battery backup for your TV set, etc. The $90 would have paid most of the cost for one of these. These give your electronics nice steady voltage, no brownouts, spikes, power lose etc. Glad to see a few of you pick one of these sets up.

Skyrim looks amazing on a 42" LCD that's correctly color calibrated on a high-end system running 60fps. So does BF3, World of Warcraft, SWTOR and a host of other gaming titles. Hell even that new Sonic game that came out not long ago is amazing on my 42", beats a PS3 / Xbox 360 version any day.

yes i got one for$200 but it was a cusDu non Y model
Looks find so far

Back