Hot? 1TB WD Caviar Green for $55.49

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
Today only as one of the gold box deals of the day, a Western Digital Green 1tb drive for $55.49 with Free Super Saver Shipping. I may snag one to make an external drive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From looking at the customer images, it appears amazon's harddrive shipping is pretty crappy.

From looking at the customer images, it appears amazon's harddrive shipping is pretty crappy.

This is actually on-point. I remember people claiming that they used huge foam shells initially, but more recently that the shipping ain't as rosy now. Wouldn't mind hearing some 2010 updates on this. Newegg is permanently off the HD shopping list, I would hate to hear that Amazon joins that list.

I bought the 2Tb drive from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It seemed fine to me. Just like the box you receive when you RMA a drive to WD or Seagate. Plastic vibration dampening style ends in a little box.

Sammy 1.5TBs were just $64 shipped at eWiz over the weekend...

This is actually on-point. I remember people claiming that they used huge foam shells initially, but more recently that the shipping ain't as rosy now. Wouldn't mind hearing some 2010 updates on this. Newegg is permanently off the HD shopping list, I would hate to hear that Amazon joins that list.

I have two HDs coming on Thu.

Interesting thing is, they're packed along with a 14-lb UPS battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00094OX32/ref=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066IJPQ/ref=oss_product

No, I absolutely did not mean for these two items to get packed together.

It will be interesting to see how this ends up...

I also just got two HDs from Newegg... While it was below what I would like, it really wasn't that bad... I've heard Egg stories that are far, far worse than what I had...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To be honest, I've never actually had any problems with NewEgg's shipping of HDDs, or none that I recall. o_O

The price is a little high for a slow drive. You can get 7200 RPM 2 TB for $100, which is $50/TB and none of the "green" (read: slow) crap.
I knew that it was slower. I was planning on using it in an external enclosure so it might not be as much of a factor. Then again, whenever I have it at home, I'd hook it up eSATA but everywhere else would be USB 2.0.

keep your eyes out on deals, 2TB WD, Hitachi and Seagate drives are often on sale for $100 shipped (don't buy seagate).

From Hitachi, yeah and only sometimes, but from WD??? I haven't seen a single one. The only 2TB 7200rpm WD models are the Caviar Black and the RE4. The average price for Caviar Black is $170 in most major retailers/e-tailers and the rare $140'ish available from eBay, and for the RE4, it is about $255 when cheap.

I knew that it was slower. I was planning on using it in an external enclosure so it might not be as much of a factor. Then again, whenever I have it at home, I'd hook it up eSATA but everywhere else would be USB 2.0.
Yeah, if you're just going to use it for mass/external storage, then slow vs. fast doesn't really matter vs. it being your bootable drive.

Got a link for a $100 2TB 7200rpm drive?
Right now, I'm only seeing slow green drives for $100 @ 2TB, but I know I've seen them at the $100 level in the past month. A few posts up, rive22 posted it for $110 for 7200 RPM.

Are all the greens advanced format? Even the 1TB?
Also, wow people trust Hitachi again now?

From the here it looks like this drive would not be a good choice for my RAiD 5 setup. I was looking at the blue HD 500 gigs... They seem to have good reviews.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I can't believe how much HDDs have dropped recently. I paid $115 for a WD10EADS from Dell on sale what seems like only a few months ago. Great deal for some extra storage.

Not a HOT deal

These are the WD EARS series with 4K physical sectors.

They are only good with the latest versions of Linux, Vista and windows 7

Do not attempt to use these in an external raid array! I had transfer rates of 700K/second

Are all the greens advanced format? Even the 1TB?
Also, wow people trust Hitachi again now?

I don't trust Hitachi yet. Bought two sale priced 1TB's from ZZF a while back. Very nicely packaged of course. But one of them, brand new, hummed and vibrated louder than the noise put out by all of the computers in my house at full load combined. The second one had issues just trying to get it formatted and ready for work.

My two Samsung's, and about a dozen Western Digital drives that I purchased at roughly the same time are all working flawlessly to this day.

Those two Hitachi's, however, are sitting on a shelf next to my three dead .11 series Seagates, and a .10 series Seagate that's almost dead (clicks and really slow performance).

Just picked this up and have to say it's a nice quiet drive which runs considerably cooler than the 5 yr old DiamondMax 10 it replaced for external data storage.

Back