HOT $161 HP elitebook 17.3" LED Notebook - i7 8GB ddr3/750GB/nvidia quadro 3000m

I'm out. Just got the cancellation from TheNerds (actually from Amazon Payments).
Reason for refund: Item out of stock

There was plenty of stock when I ordered Friday night. I didn't expect the order to go through, but it's interesting to see they are willing to lie about it rather than fess up and admit they messed up (like Adorama seemed to do with their cancellation emails). Of course Adorama didn't lie about shipping to make payments go through, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. End of day, I'll look at Adorama for future purchases, TheNerds, not so much.

No cancellation on mine yet, guess we'll see but I doubt it.

EDIT: Hmmm...

"Order Tracking

Your order may have already shipped; please allow an additional 48 hours for tracking information to post. Thank you for your patience."

Yeah, right.... I won't hold my breath :p.
It's probably poopsenders.

Only if the interest is calculated from "adjusted balance", which is not the most common. If you carry a balance already and the interest is calculated from "average daily balance" or "previous balance", then you will be paying interest even if they refund you within 30 days.
interest accrued based on a purchase that is later refunded from the merchant should be deducted. if it isn't then call your credit card company and tell them if they don't fix it you'll take your business elsewhere...and then take your business elsewhere if they don't fix it because all the large credit card companies will (specifically: chase, citibank, discover, and am-ex)

Here is my theory. TheNerds has an automated program that periodically adjust its pricing to match its competitors. When Adorama made a pricing mistake, a few hours later TheNerds blindly followed. I believe TheNerds actually had these laptops in stock, as shown by each order decreasing the stock quantity.

Adorama has fine prints on its web site regarding pricing mistakes. TheNerds doesn't. If a lawyer wants to, he or she could file a claim in Federal court (interstate commerce) to try to force the issue with TheNerds, because its price adjustment software was working exactly as intended.

interest accrued based on a purchase that is later refunded from the merchant should be deducted. if it isn't then call your credit card company and tell them if they don't fix it you'll take your business elsewhere...and then take your business elsewhere if they don't fix it because all the large credit card companies will (specifically: chase, citibank, discover, and am-ex)

Not true. The credit card agreement clearly specify the way finance charges (interest) are calculated. You shouldn't have signed up for the credit account that doesn't work in your favor.

Not true. The credit card agreement clearly specify the way finance charges (interest) are calculated. You shouldn't have signed up for the credit account that doesn't work in your favor.
fine, have it your way...post a pdf of a credit terms agreement showing you'll accrue interest on purchases that are never fulfilled and I'll believe you

I've noticed Adorama does this frequently. This is like the 3rd or 4th time they've underpriced something by a significant amount within the past 3 weeks. It's past the point of an "oopsie," they're doing this to increase traffic to their site.

Seriously, we have something approaching 100,000 items on our website and all the product info is entered manually by admin.
It's true that when there is a pricing error like this we see a temporary blip in site visits, but weighed against the potential cost of losing customers, bad publicity - and my time drafting all the apology letters! - trust me, there is no way this is intentional as it simply doesn't make good business sense.

Why did they even bother to send me an email saying: "We're sorry for any inconvenience.
Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order are not in stock, see details below.
We'll ship your order as soon as possible. If you want to cancel your order, please let us know."

If they have no intentions of shipping it...why send this?

I'm really sorry; it is an automated email that gets sent when something is withdrawn from the inventory - because it has the same effect on our system as an item being sold out.

I've noted your comments about the email to the web team to see if there is any way of adjusting this, tho' having identified the cause of - and a solution to - some of the recent pricing errors, we aren't going to be experiencing any more of these. I hope.....

I know some people hate when people clamor for obvious price mistakes, but you cannot excuse the companies from stupidity......
All these companies are in fact run by greed and as it should be sometimes their greed, lazyness etc.. gets the better of them.

Actually, we are a family business doing our best to supply great products at competitive prices - alongside excellence in customer care. I would hazard a guess that the person - not a computer - who made the error is feeling pretty bad right now....

I'm out. Just got the cancellation from TheNerds (actually from Amazon Payments).

There was plenty of stock when I ordered Friday night. I didn't expect the order to go through, but it's interesting to see they are willing to lie about it rather than fess up and admit they messed up (like Adorama seemed to do with their cancellation emails). Of course Adorama didn't lie about shipping to make payments go through, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. End of day, I'll look at Adorama for future purchases, TheNerds, not so much.

Yup. They are lying. They have the laptops, even now. Just search for B2A84UTABA at TheNerds. Perhaps they can't legally say that they made a pricing mistake in Florida without serious consequences, so they lied.

Kudos to Adorama's handling of this. TheNerds, on the other hand, it will be a long time (if ever) before I'd visit their site again.

Yup. They are lying. They have the laptops, even now. Just search for B2A84UTABA at TheNerds. Perhaps they can't legally say that they made a pricing mistake in Florida without serious consequences, so they lied.

Kudos to Adorama's handling of this. TheNerds, on the other hand, it will be a long time (if ever) before I'd visit their site again.
how would you have liked them to handle it?

how would you have liked them to handle it?

Admit they made a pricing error, instead of claiming:
1) item out of stock
2) CC authorization failed

They send me two separate emails claiming 1) and 2). Both are lies.

Still no cancellation email or notice from anyone. The charge is on my CC.

We'll see what happens today. I can't imagine this would actually ship.

Still no cancellation email or notice from anyone. The charge is on my CC.

We'll see what happens today. I can't imagine this would actually ship.

Same here. Kind of annoying sitting waiting for/expecting the cancellation and still nothing.

Agreed, TheNerds was prompt with the refund to my Paypal but did lie through their teeth to give it to me. I don't really care either way as far as I am concerned, it's just a bit disappointing nonetheless.

Actually, we are a family business doing our best to supply great products at competitive prices - alongside excellence in customer care. I would hazard a guess that the person - not a computer - who made the error is feeling pretty bad right now....

Helen,

I am curious. How many orders did you guys end up getting for this price mistaked laptop?

Are people actually mad that these orders were canceled? I mean I ordered one of course, but it would be ridiculous to expect to get one at that price, especially when there were probably tens of thousands of orders.

Entitlement!!!

I can't imagine anyone intentionally pricing something like that when places like Slickdeals exist. Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to subdue and respond to the 10,000+ people who tried to buy multiples of those laptops?

Thanks for braving the forums Helen, I hope you weren't too hard on that person..

Are people actually mad that these orders were canceled? I mean I ordered one of course, but it would be ridiculous to expect to get one at that price, especially when there were probably tens of thousands of orders.

This^^^. It's amazing how some people actually thought this was going to ship. I know the vast majority did it for the "what if" factor. But some people are actually upset that the purchase wasn't fulfilled. :(

I see a few people like me pointing out that TheNerds lies to its customers while recognizing how much better Adorama handled it. You know, in case anyone cares to actually do business with either of them in the future on a real purchase. OTOH, I have seen many posters from the beginning preemptively complaining about how they are going to have to read about people complaining about this deal when it falls through. Frankly, I'm sick of the people complaining about the people complaining about the imaginary people complaining about this deal.

I think the problem is that when someone from the company comes on the boards and explains that the statement came from an automated system, the person responsible for the error feels terrible, and steps have been identified and implemented in order to ensure it doesn't happen again, then it seems like the people still complaining about it seem like it doesn't matter what happened some people were gearing up to complain anyway.

I knew it was coming, but it is still sad. Got the "refund" notice from TheNerds today in my inbox ... But no reason given.

No harm, no foul. Pricing error made my an imperfect human. It happens.

Thanks for coming on to the forum, Helen. Although there should have been no reason for you to have to pat shoulders and wipe away tears, since EVERYONE that placed an order knew there was a 99.9999999999999999999999999% chance they would all be cancelled due to an obvious pricing error.

Again, thanks for hitting up the forum, it shows that Adorama is committed to good communication, as well.

Thanks for braving the forums Helen, I hope you weren't too hard on that person..

The least we could do....

No harm, no foul. Pricing error made my an imperfect human. It happens.

Thanks for coming on to the forum, Helen. Although there should have been no reason for you to have to pat shoulders and wipe away tears, since EVERYONE that placed an order knew there was a 99.9999999999999999999999999% chance they would all be cancelled due to an obvious pricing error.

Again, thanks for hitting up the forum, it shows that Adorama is committed to good communication, as well.

Thank you to all of you who have been so understanding - BTW in another time and place I am pretty sure I'd have placed an order for one of those myself, just hoping..............................

So is this HelenOster user a troll then? If they were banned, it makes sense for a mod to just drop in for 2 seconds and explain why...

So is this HelenOster user a troll then? If they were banned, it makes sense for a mod to just drop in for 2 seconds and explain why...

nah i think she probably isnt supposed to be speaking on behalf of her company without clearing it with the mods first. cant have anyone just go around promoting their company without confirming who they are or at least getting permission from the forum owner. kyle is very possessive of his forums. hopefully he lets her back on the forum with a title that confirms who she is, its always nice to have company reps around to help out and answer questions.

nah i think she probably isnt supposed to be speaking on behalf of her company without clearing it with the mods first. cant have anyone just go around promoting their company without confirming who they are or at least getting permission from the forum owner. kyle is very possessive of his forums. hopefully he lets her back on the forum with a title that confirms who she is, its always nice to have company reps around to help out and answer questions.

This.

Back