hosting your own site?

b1m2x3

2[H]4U
currently, i have a spare box sitting in my closet running my ftp server. i also have 1 unhosted domain. is there any way i can use that spare computer to host a site with that domain?

thanks

Sure can.

Install a web server (recommend Apache)
Forward port (default is 80, might need to change depending on ISP)
Set up the DNS appropriately with whoever your registrar is, using a dynamic DNS service if need be.
profit!

i encourage you to do it yourself for experience if nothing else, but if you would rather not then i'd gladly host your site. i might even be able to give you a [h]ard discount. :)

*edit - content removed for fear of breaking spamming rules. if you'd like details, e-mail me at [email protected].

regards,
steve

As for hosting the DNS, if you don't want to do it yourself there are a couple free dns hosting places out there like Zoneedit or http://freedns.afraid.org/ . I myself have used Zoneedit, and it worked great for me.

Edit, just found another one that looks to be alrigh its EveryDNS

se4b4ss said:
i encourage you to do it yourself for experience if nothing else, but if you would rather not then i'd gladly host your site. i might even be able to give you a [h]ard discount. :)

*edit - content removed for fear of breaking spamming rules. if you'd like details, e-mail me at [email protected].

regards,
steve

He could email me too. But Like it was said above it would be good experience for him to learn how to do it.

Original poster,
If you would like some one on one help feel free to email me(email is in profile) with questions I would be glad to help another setup a personal server. It is quite rewarding and a great learning experience but it can be very tedious at times.

Ya try it for yourself its really rewarding when it all works properly. If you are not familar with linux try installing that and attempt to get that working its a great challenge if you are new to it and once you get it all running you will be very proud.

se4b4ss said:

regards,
steve

Your prices are pretty high. Not that competitive for what your offering, does not even look like you have an uptime guarantee.

i cater to the local, small business who needs help with their web design and updates and general it-type advice. i keep my prices at that level so that i don't swamped with everybody who wants quick, cheap hosting. btw, i'm currently back-logged with new customers. :eek:

i haven't posted all the features of the hosting (ie uptime guarantee, etc) b/c i haven't had time and b/c, frankly, i haven't had any customers who have expressed concern/interest.

regards,
steve

its a lot of fun runnin your own webserver. there's a certain feeling of accomplishment and coolness when you get it all up and running. not to mention the real world experience you get from doing it.

it also nice, because you get to choose exactly which technology you want to run, and how much storage space you want to have. of course, one possible downside is if you get a LOT of traffic and it draws the attention of your ISP.

Back