Hosting Feedback - Where can I get hosting...

I fail to see how it would cause any problems. :confused: I've used probably 50+ hosts, ones with cpanel and ones without and I've never had any issues either way...infact I find cpanel to be a pretty crappy piece of software.

Personally I'd rather do all my administration from the command line and is why I've moved off shared hosting and moved to dedicated servers.

you fail to see a problem because you obviously know what you are doing, I have dealt with 1000's of customers in the last 7 years that dont have a clue...

Before you pOO pOO them. its free hosting. no domain name needed. They don't do any server side scripting but you can decide not to use their tools and upload your own website. They do not use FTP to do that either. If your interested you can sign up at www.officelive.com

No popups or other anoying banners from other free hostings
Phone supports phone number is (866) 591 5483

1) Link to Justhost.com
2) I have been with the host about 4 months
3) 1 out of 10, they get a 3! Half of the staff know how to help you, the other half will hang up on you, assign directories the wrong permissions, say they fixed the issue and never even look into it.
I have been hung up on twice, ramdomly. I have had people make permission problems even worse. I have even been lied to over the phone.
On the other hand some of the staff is very capable of helping you. I have had a bad issue get fixed in less than 1 hour before.

Things I don't like: Force you to choose a domain to register. Pricy addons like Shell access. Permissions on files have to be an exact way or the server will fail to host that file.

Things I like: Unlimited space, bandwidth, email addresses, and so forth. Ticket turn around is less than a day.

Would I choose justhost.com again? No!

http://www.webonce.com
I have been using them for at least 2 years... I lost count after that lol...

Overall the best host ive ever had, even over self hosting. Reliable Hardware, when there are problems they fix them as fast as humanly possible.

Had a problem where the site was horrible slow at responding, got onto the IRC support channel and told the agent what was going on. Within minutes he found the cause of the problem to be a dormant client having bouts scouring the clients website.

From what he told me he gave the client 24 hours to fix the problem, or their account would be terminated. and did something in the mean time that fixed the problem! (im guessing htaccess and denied the bots...)

Either way

Its a bit pricey but you get what you pay for, Reliable, Fast, Easy to use! And when you need support it is within reach!

Id give them the following
Price: 8/10 (but worth every penny)
Support: 10/10
Reliability 10/10
Overall 9.5/10

Recommend to anyone and everyone looking for hosting: YES!
And I am still with them and might upgrade to a managed server at some point in the future!

I and friends have been using Pair Networks for over a decade now for virtually everything (no pun intended). Just thought I would add them to the list.

Pair.com

They let you do everything or they can do it for you. Very versatile hosting site. I've generally initially developed apps for customers and then handed them over for the customer to manage from then on. They get tech support from Pair and sometimes ask me for software updates or do it themselves. The Pair environment is nice to work in and they give you whatever access you need. I've directed a few businesses and developers there and no one who started hosting with Pair has left them that I know of.

Last edited:
Hello,

Try WebhostUK LTD I have been with the for last 6 months. Had 100% uptime and there support staff is also very helpful available 24x7.
After along search I got the Best UK web Hosting provider.

anyone have a recommendation on free hosting? I just want to upload an image indicating my site is under construction....

Traffic to it will be super tiny...

hostgator is good, i have been using them for over a year after switching from bluehost

http://bihira.com

I used to "know" the owner from an old message board I used to post on, been using him to host everything I do since (probably about 5 years or so now). Never had any issues with service.

I have got a couple of VPS running and the best guys I have worked with till now will be photovps. They are pretty cheap with good support. Can't expect more than that in that price.
wink.gif

I've been using PruHosting for almost two years now, and I haven't seen any downtime yet. It uses cPanel, but it still works for me, I have the Advanced Large Web Hosting Package, I think, its 40$ a year, 2500MB space, 75GB of bandwidth, unlimited email, MySQL databases, and FTP accounts, and unlimited addon/parked domains and subdomains. Oh, and I think its hosted somewhere in Europe.

http://www.dreamhost.com

I've been with them for about 8 months now without any problems at all. I pay $10 a month for 800MB of space, 40GB of transfer and all the other regular extra's (unlimited email forwarding, web access, cgi, etc). You can host up to 3 full domains and they'll register a domain under your name for you for as long as you host with them (you can transfer the domain to another registrar if you please). Blah blah blah... I'm happy with it and they've got some great plans for those of us who can't afford dedicated hosting.
I pay $11 a month for 1TB+ bandwidth transfer per month, and 11GB+ disk usage. ;)

They are excellent for the more advanced type of people who can understand SSH and such. To some people/mindsets, their homebrewn control panel might not be the best.

Last edited:
Besides godaddy, what are some good windows hosting providers that are somewhat cheap?

I can't recommend LiquidWeb enough; they're fabulous and the customer service is top notch. I recently moved to their new Storm on Demand cloud product and have been extremely pleased.

I have been with Liquidweb for years now and have previously recommended them in this thread but I have to withdraw that recommendation at this time. Liquidweb has simply priced themselves out of the "recommended" category as far as I am concerned, especially on the server side.

A $60/mo for 384 MB dedicated RAM VPS is no longer a viable choice for consumers when many competitors offer significantly lower rates for more resources.

I did check Storm out myself just now, created the account, and found an incredible amount of up-selling. Yes, it is convenient that Liquidweb now provides a pay-as-you-go plan, but once you add up the cost you will find that again it is significantly more expensive than competitors.

Liquidweb's support is outstanding. It's 24/7 live person (call or chat) who is North American based and Level 3 so they actually know what they are doing and aren't asking you "did you reboot your system" etc. However, while the service is above the bar in comparison to many others I have maybe called them once or at the most twice over the years I have been with them and thus paying for support I am not using is no longer justifiable to me.

I am now looking into changing to a provider which offers more dedicated RAM and is XEN based. Will eventually report back here how that search went.

I am now looking into changing to a provider which offers more dedicated RAM and is XEN based. Will eventually report back here how that search went.

I thought I had reviewed Linode before, but a search in this thread doesn't yield any results.

I've been with linode.com for nearly 2 years, and was with Slicehost before that for about a year.

Linode has been fantastic for me - they're not rock-bottom price like some VPS hosts who charge something like $5-10/month for VPS instances that seem to provide too many resources to be true for the price, but they're not inaccessibly expensive either. Not to mention, linode has a proven track record of being a host: they've been around for 7.5 years, so you know they're not some fly-by-night operation run by one or two guys.

However, they are an un-managed VPS provider, which will explain some of the cost difference between it and a service like LiquidWeb. I manage my own instances so I'm fine with unmanaged.

When I first signed up for them, I was paying $20/month for a 384 MB instance. I was paying the same amount for 256 MB from Slicehost (and also got less storage). Some time in the last year, Linode celebrated their anniversary by bumping up the resources allocated to each plan level, so now I pay $20 /month for an instance with 512 MB RAM, 16 GB disk space, and 200 GB of transfer allowance.

The service is very reliable, I don't even know when was the last time there was even a brief outage. In the last 1.5 years I've rebooted my instance twice, once to load a different distro, and once to get the instance to recognize the increased RAM amount they gave everyone. They have a pretty nice custom control panel that allows you to manage your instance(s), create disk images, manage DNS, and install a new OS image into your instance, among other tasks you can do. They provide choices of Linux distros, so you get your choice of SuSE, Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Arch, Fedora, and Gentoo. You also have the option of uploading your own distro image to use.

They have a good community (as well as Slicehost), and their team can be reached easily, though I haven't had to use their support at all.

And they are Xen-based.

If you are fine with an unmanaged server, I think Linode is a pretty good, solid, affordable choice.

Last edited:
are there any reasonable options out there that offer virtual servers for cheap?

I'm talking really cheap.

I don't care much about speed, space, etc, but I'd like something that I can setup to do what I want (cronjobs, installing my own services, etc).

are there any reasonable options out there that offer virtual servers for cheap?

I'm talking really cheap.

I don't care much about speed, space, etc, but I'd like something that I can setup to do what I want (cronjobs, installing my own services, etc).

You could write a little app that would spin up EC2 instances when you need them, and then kill them when your done. Although, I'm not sure how long you need them for to run certain jobs...could get a bit pricey after a while.

The cheapest most reliable host I've used (and the simplest) is webbynode

For a dedicated box in the UK I recommend dedipower.

They are pricey but as others have said you get what you pay for.

We've been using them for 6 months now, with about 30 mins downtime when our PSU failed and they had to swap it out. Their support is very good and technically minded - they have always responded within 10mins or less to a ticket and have no problems with my more technical linux questions.

Bluehost.com

COMMENTS
I'm current using www.bluehost.com for a few of my sites. I've had them for the past 10 years (Long time I know!) and have never had a problem. They auto-renew domain names and send emails when your account has things that are going to expire and they are about to charge to your CC. Plus, they pay for your domain name registration and renewal for as long as you keep your account active (i.e. your monthly fee pays for everything, no separate domain name fees).

This is a great improvement over my old host (ace-hosting) which let my domain name expire and some squatters buy it up. Then when I called their tech to complain they just said - too bad, nothing they could or would do. Fortunately, a year later the squatters decided not to renew and I was able to buy it back.

PRICING
Bluehost.com used to be $4.95 / month for UNLIMITED EVERYTHING but it seems new accounts are now $5.95 or $6.95 - which after reading on here is still quite a steal! Definitely check them out. I have no connection to the company other than being a happy customer and would recommend them to any of my friends or relatives looking for hosting as well.

Last edited:
Liquidweb.com

LW is now back on my favorite list. If you look through this thread you will find that I recommended them years ago and then withdrew the recommendation in December of 2010 because I felt that LW had priced themselves out of the VPS market.

Well, they are back!

A 1GB RAM, 75GB storage, and 2TB transfer VPS with cPanel comes in at $60/month. Compare that to say the 1GB RAM linode that comes with 32GB storage and 400GB transfer at $40/month and the LW offering is pretty sweet.

Obviously there is a lot of competition for hosting and that will ultimately either drive prices down or resources offered for the price up, but what makes Liquidweb an excellent choice besides the price/resources is their Michigan based 24/7 phone support which is staffed with Level 3 operators so you don't get a guy reading a script saying "Did you restart the service?".

I am glad that they upped their resources, I just went to cancel my LW account that I had with them since 2004 and was pleasantly surprised to see the new terms. Apparently the new VPS offerings have only been out a week and not all current customers have been notified yet.

Hey guys - just an FYI - I currently own a small shared hosting company and have several machines that are not utilized. If anyone has any interest in a nice dedicated server (dual processor - some DC/QC, 4-8gb ram, etc) - please shoot me an email at sales@ properhosting <dot> com. Let me know what you need and we can work together to get you a fair price. I'm not looking to make a fortune, just keep the equipment utilized and making money....

If you need shared hosting, holler at me and I can help with that as well...

Thanks!

Well, here's the question of the day...

I'm currently a hostgator customer... for the most part I like their shared webhosting service, but now that I'm running a professional portfolio, I need more speed for word press.

Can anyone recommend any shared hosting that has
a) cpanel (absolute requirement for me)
b) can park/host multiple domains on a single account.
c) the servers are fast.

I had an outage with Hostgator today and for how much they market their shared servers, I can only imagine how many 1000's of domains are on each server... which of course is going to cause an issue with my domain

I really recommend Host Gator. Been a customer for 5+ years and I never had one issue.

Hostgator may be a good solution, when everything works fine. When something wrong is happen with your server you are screw.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I get credit to HardOCP if I sign up at Softlayer?

for me, there are lots of web hosting companies that can be considered. it will only depends on what you really need. also, be aware of the offer they have for you. I'm considering a hosting company that offers a money-back guarantee, with 24/7 customer support. I also tend to get the opinion of some of my friends regarding the hosting they used, and read some hosting reviews as well. try to read some hostign reviews, it will surely help. you can try this one: http://www.webhostingsearch.com/web-hosting-companies.php

btw, I have a blog hosted on WordPress (a free blog) and so far it's good. but I'm planning to transfer to a paid host, maybe a shared hosting will do.

Hi, I have a reseller package at Kualo.com. Their service is excellent, and they will happily sort out problems for you. I use mine for my website design customers, so don't offer hosting myself. However, if its service you are after I highly recommend them. They have servers in UK and US.

They are a little more expensive than most, but its well worth it for the service you get.

Link: kualo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of email hosting companies that do NOT use SpamCop? Me and a buddy are trying to move customers off of GoDaddy email because SpamCop is blocking entire GoDaddy server IPs.
HostGator uses SpamCop to, we found that out after signing up. :(

I have a quick question about hosting with hostgator, I just missed a 40% off promo that expired Aug 31st, and I see that they've had discounts as high as 50% in the past. Currently they're offering 25% off, my question is, let's say I get 6 months at 25% off, within the next 6 months if they run another 40% promo could I just tack on additional months to my current contract? Or is it like registering a domain where they lure you in with the cheap rates initially, and then everything afterwards is a more expensive renewal rate?

EDIT: Just got off livechat with hostgator and apparently they only offer one promo discount per account for the initial signup period. So I'm looking for a cheap hosting alternative for the next 6 months or so that uses cPanel while I wait for a 40% off or better discount with hostgator. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I have a quick question about hosting with hostgator, I just missed a 40% off promo that expired Aug 31st, and I see that they've had discounts as high as 50% in the past. Currently they're offering 25% off, my question is, let's say I get 6 months at 25% off, within the next 6 months if they run another 40% promo could I just tack on additional months to my current contract? Or is it like registering a domain where they lure you in with the cheap rates initially, and then everything afterwards is a more expensive renewal rate?

EDIT: Just got off livechat with hostgator and apparently they only offer one promo discount per account for the initial signup period. So I'm looking for a cheap hosting alternative for the next 6 months or so that uses cPanel while I wait for a 40% off or better discount with hostgator. Any recommendations?

Uhh... isn't hostgator pretty damn cheap even without a discount? Any hosting cheaper then hostgator I'd recommend staying away from. In fact, if you're hosting anything even semi-important, I'd stay away from them all together.

Going to keep this short, have to be at work in a moment:

This is for 1and1.com, my plan was to use them for Domain registration and a small POP/IMAP email package.

10 Sep 2012 - I go to 1and1.com after reading some favorable remarks in this thread, go through sign-up and have no issues with setting up a paypal billing agreement.

12 Sep 2012 - Haven't seen anything from them, call sales initially, sales transfers me to technical support for actual setup. Tech support says, "We have no domain registered to your email." I am very confused mostly because it had shown up on my Paypal-with no actual charges yet, thankfully. Tech support hands me off to billing dept. and thats when I finally get my answer. "10 Sep an order was placed, but fraud dept. denied it."

I am not all that upset, more frustrated because while they're knocked pretty hard, Godaddy had my old domain up in under 60mins.

My experience with 1and1.com is very brief, take what I say lightly, but know it is very possible that you could submit an order using an address verified paypal account and they will deny it without even telling you.

Edit: After thinking about it, I realized that at the time I may have been using one of my VPNs when I signed up. I didn't see on their website about IP matching, but it exist as a possibility that they flagged me because of the disparity between my IPs geolocation and my mailing address.

Last edited:
Edit: After thinking about it, I realized that at the time I may have been using one of my VPNs when I signed up. I didn't see on their website about IP matching, but it exist as a possibility that they flagged me because of the disparity between my IPs geolocation and my mailing address.

Thats VERY common, most any host with even a halfway decent fraud department will compare the geolocation of the sign up IP to the billing address. The amount of fraud in web hosting is mind numbing.

Hi.
eWaret is my favourite Hosting server.
They give lot of possibilities like you pay , but its completely free. :)

Things about the free hosting.

Monthly Bandwidth 100GB :D
Web Disk Space 10GB :D
MySQL Databases 10
10 Domains
10 SubDomains
10 Parked domains
Site Statistics
File Manager
PHP
PhpMyAdmin
E commerce features

Very good Servers. ;)
and many many more.
Here is the link to the website

www.ewaret.com

Thank you

I currently have 2 reseller hosting accounts. One with Hostgator and another one with Arvixe. Both accounts have been in place for 3 years and I just like that I don't have to keep contacting customer support as the service and hosting has been pretty stable except for a few, very minor hiccups once or twice a year. Pricing is cheap too but I don't run any big website, just a few blogs so that's probably why it works for me.

Back