Hosting Feedback - Where can I get hosting...

dreamhost is hot, u have one click installs of php forums and os commerce.... very very nice. So far, they've risen above my expectations...

www.powweb.com

I've been with them for about six months, hosting my portfolio on it and also hosting a fairly popular Homeworld 2 mod (with PHPNuke and all that entails - www.penguin-mayhem.net ) There were some fairly serious speed issues in the past (for a while, PHP scripts ran really slow, and their servers apparently suffered from DDoS attacks at another point which really brought traffic to a halt.) These issues have been fixed however, and I haven't had any problems lately. MySQL databases are on shared servers as previously mentioned, but that hasn't caused any issues for me that I've noticed. Lots of space (3GB) and bandwidth (10GB/day) for cheap ($8/month.) I don't know if they have good tools for site creation as I do that on my own or with PHP scripts (PHPNuke and menalto Gallery in my case.) I have not run into any issues requiring tech support, so I can't comment on their service. I did have some problems transferring an SQL database from my old site (my fault,) and when I asked on their message boards the community was helpful. Overall there have been some bumps in the road but I've have good experiences thus far.

www.cihost.com

I was with CIHost for about a year (before I moved to PowWeb.) "Unlimited bandwidth" if your site only has text files. The actual cap was 30GB/month. 2GB space. Individual MySQL, PHP support, etc. Lots of pre-installed PHP/perl scripts. About $15/month. No downtime/slowness I can recall. I moved to PowWeb from CIHost mainly because of bandwidth issues (buying more bandwidth from CIHost is expensive, an extra $5 per 1GB per month if you prepay, $10 per GB/mo overage) and pricing. Never had any service issues. Only small snag was when I cancelled service from them, they still charged me for a new year renewal (I canceled in the last week of my year subscription.) Took about a month to get it resolved, but it was fixed. Overall I was happy with them, no problems; but it was a little too expensive for me. They have a number of flexible hosting plans; I was on the basic Unix shared hosting.

Protoform-X said:
http://www.globat.com

I've been with them since July '04 and now have two accounts with them. Right now they offer 5GB space and 75GB transfer for $4.95/m. It's fast and generally reliable. They offer a lot of stuff to help make the website and promote it to search engines. The technical support is available all the time and you get your questions answered fast. Every time I've called them, they pick up immediately and my E-Mails are answered within the hour.

I am impressed.

DO NOT USE GLOBAT IF YOUR SITE IS BUSINESS RELATED. They have TERRIBLE downtime and frequent outages with nothing but excuses...and as a word of warning, if you are a designer, DO NOT host a single client's site here...you will deeply regret it.

Others may not notice when the servers are down...but believe me when you have 20+ clients hosted with them and you receive calls EVERY WEEK...god, it has truly been my worst mistake.

Lunar Pages

I've been with Lunarpages since January for my website and have been really happy. The bandwidth and space is almost impossible to use with a normal website. They have a great utillity for automatically installing php website utils that allow me to have my site up quickly. The server response has always been quick, and only had a few minutes of planned downtime. I've been really happy with them, and I highy recondmend them to my freinds.

http://www.he.net

Hurricane Electric, been with them since ..., 1997(?), currently hosting multiple domains using them.
Well managed servers, they do not offer unlimited bandwidth, they are not cheap, basic starts at $9.95/month with 100MB storage and 25GB traffic. For that you get OC48 connectivity, and it's speedy, it really is. Probably not the host you want to use for your 5-page homepage, but if you have the need for a fast host with BitTorrent support (BT traffic doesn't count against your 25GB for now!!!), and the following features:

True Virtual Host (http://www.yourname.com)
Domain Name Registration**
Support for FrontPage 2002
Support for PHP 4
Your Own Secure Web (SSL) Directory
Your Own MySQL Database (posters note: still running mysql 3.23)
Your Own Standard Web Directory
Your Own cgi-bin Directory
Your Own BitTorrent Tracker and Superseed
Direct Access Via FTP
Direct Access Via ssh
OC48 (2,400 megabit/second) Backbone
Multiple Connections For Backup And Redundancy
Battery Backup and Emergency Generator
High Performance Carefully Managed Web Servers
Online Billing Information
POP3 Authenticated SMTP
Multiple POP3 Mailboxes per Account
Unlimited Mail Forwarding
Unlimited Mail Autoresponders
Detailed Daily Web and FTP Activity Reports
Access To Raw access_log Files
Server Side Includes
Email Forms
cgiwrap
cgiemail
Full Shell Account
Full Unix Development Environment
Java and Javac
Perl
Tcl
gcc
crontab
Web-based email

Then go for HE.net

4 Gig Host Space
Upto 6 DOmains
2500 POP Email Accounts
100 Gigs of Transfer
SSL,FTP, Starts
Free Domain
CGI, PHP, MySQL
2000/2002/2003 Front Page Extensions
Toll Free Support
Cpanel

Has Great Uptime
OC-48 Backbone connection

Great Place!

I just checked out their plan and it looks a bit outrageous for the price.

$6.95 for a free domain, 4GB storage, 100GB transfer, 50mysql db, etc etc ... seems fishy.

An another note, anyone have any more experiences with Pair Networks??

Lugztaz said:
4 Gig Host Space
Upto 6 DOmains
2500 POP Email Accounts
100 Gigs of Transfer
SSL,FTP, Starts
Free Domain
CGI, PHP, MySQL
Toll Free Support
Cpanel

Has Great Uptime

Great Place!

Stoltenborg said:
I just checked out their plan and it looks a bit outrageous for the price.

$6.95 for a free domain, 4GB storage, 100GB transfer, 50mysql db, etc etc ... seems fishy.
well, if i had a nice website built , i'd show u. It's very nice, still using it. Infact, they just updated their cpanel. Just a nice place :)
http://www.foldingforacure.com

my internet sucks, so you tell me how well it loads, runs, etc.

I've been using Total Choice hosting - www.totalchoicehosting.com

About as inexpensive as it gets and it shows. Very frequent outages. They don't last long but they happen all the time. About what I expected for a few bucks a month so no major complaints, but I won't be using them for anything serious or business related.

The one outage ticket I submitted (via web form) was replied to promptly.

<complete speculation> Outages are probably caused by users on the system--their database/host stats never show outages when I check so I'm guessing someone's pegging CPU or disk/swap access. </speculation>

I've been using Dreamhost for about a year now after using the 777 code last year. Stability and speed have been good, but I can't speak to highly of their support.

At one point I could not log into my account. I thought maybe I was being absent minded and clicked the "forgot password" link to reset my password. A few minutes later I get the support e-mail that says my password has been reset, but then gives me the old password (that I had already been trying) to try instead. At this point I don't know if the password wasn't reset at all or if it was and they sent me my old one anyway.

Well, I can't issue a ticket because I can't even log-in! So I fire them an e-mail telling them I can't log in and about the whole reset password problem. I was until THE NEXT DAY for them to send me an e-mail with my username and password - the same username and password that hasn't been working for the past 2 days. Thinking I haven't been clear, I send them ANOTHER e-mail being more specific by telling them EXACTLY what I've been entering in and how it still (after 2 days) doesn't work.

I want ANOTHER 24 hours only to get another e-mail with the SAME username and password that won't work. I assume something is not working and that's why I can't get in since there's no discrepancy between what I'm entering and what support says my user/pass is. Of course, they don't tell me this themselves.

I basically gave up on it and tried it again a week later and VOILA! I'm in.

Now I'm at the end of my promo year and it'll cost me a little over $100 to renew. I figured now would be a good time to switch back to a monthly rate. But, switching from a yearly to a monthly billing system means you have to pay their $50 setup fee - for what, I'm not too sure as the account is already setup. So, unless I can find another super cheap deal from them, I'm not planning on staying.

I think I'll give 1Portfolio a try....

Lugztaz said:
www.bluehost.com

Great Place!

I second that! Only 7.95 a month when you sign up for a year. Never had a single problem with them and their up-time is phenominal. Their support is very helpful for new webmasters too. I also like the cpanel login from their site. Makes it much easier to get to than trying to remember some long url.

It's definitely legit! I've been on their servers for about 10 months now. Still haven't even come close to using the majority of my features. I know it seems too good to be true but it isn't some scam. Check my site out for yourself: www.phideltathetatnz.org

http://www.freewebtown.com

its free, offers 1gb of storage, as well as 1gb of monthly bandwith. I does have ads, (and popup ones, but if using netscape or firefox, they won't come up). I've been with them for a little over a year now, and are great, for a free site. I actually created 2 accounts, and linked them together, just for twice the storage and bandwith, although they say not to do that. It great if you need a quick storage for image sigs, or pictures or videos someone wants to get off of your computer. I do have a website on it, one account with the pages and pictures, the other with videos, and sigs and such. I have ran out of bandwith a few times, but it was only around 2 or 3 days from the end of the month, so it wasnt that bad. If you use their webpage builder, it will automatically put ads on your page (in the left column and such). However, i just put together my site real fast with frontpage, uploaded all the files and overwrote index.html, and i was ad-free (except for the popups, if using IE). It doesnt give you a domain however, but its free, so what do you expect :confused:
Overall, i think its great for the price

www.asmallorange.com

done by the same guy that hosts neowin.net. They have 24x7 support, php 4, unlimited email, unlimited mysql tables, unlimited addon domains. cpanel and the works.

I have 5 accounts there and they are as cheap as $30 a YEAR for 75mb.

eggrock said:
I've been using Total Choice hosting - www.totalchoicehosting.com

About as inexpensive as it gets and it shows. Very frequent outages. They don't last long but they happen all the time. About what I expected for a few bucks a month so no major complaints, but I won't be using them for anything serious or business related.

The one outage ticket I submitted (via web form) was replied to promptly.

<complete speculation> Outages are probably caused by users on the system--their database/host stats never show outages when I check so I'm guessing someone's pegging CPU or disk/swap access. </speculation>

Edit to this, mySQL can be extremely slow occasionally (much less so now) but everything else has been speedy.

http://ace-host.net/

Referred to them by one of my co-admins from Wichita LAN Party... He has several sites with them and I have my personal site with them now for about 9 months. Great Customer support! I had an issue with my Mambo MySQL Database running super slow. I contacted tech support via email and they took less then 2 min to respond to me. They found the issue in the server, backed up my database and rebuilt the MySQL Server in about 10 min, then reloaded my database and tested it... all i can say is WOW... my old host (heavydatahosting.com) when it was sold never returned my tech requests...

Current Plan is 5GB of storage 100 GB Bandwith a month for 4.95. my site runs fast as heck as well ...

Cheers

http://www.servermatrix.com

If you're looking for dedicated hosting on a budget, look no further than Server Matrix. They're actually a small business centric off-shoot of The Planet. Great prices and I have no complaints about their service. We used to host with Total Choice, but when our business needed more control and power, we switched to SM. Have to say, I couldn't be happier.

Serveloshitty.net :(

After opening accounts with servelocity.net (because of recommendations from threads like this) i was initally very happy with their service and support.

However after using them for ~6months now i have been very disappointed with their uptime. There have been at least 4 outages that i know of, and trying to run a business website with them has proved very stressful.

Not recommended to anyone :(

More "props" for http://www.ipowerweb.com

Been with them for a little over 4 months now, and I have not had one complaint about them. Tech support (for the very little much I have needed them) has been great.

They've upgraded their services recently, too. They basically now have one package, and it includes:

10GB hosting space
250GB transfer
1 free domain name
100 free subdomains
2500 POP3 e-mail accounts
and a whole list of other features found here.

All for:
$9.95/month for a 3-month commitment
$8.95/month for a 6-month commitment
$7.95/month for a 12-month commitment paid in a lump-sum
$6.95/month for a 24-month commitment paid in a lump-sum

I've been with Canaca for a little over 6 months and have been very happy with them. Great packages and very little complaints. The night I set up the account I got a phone call from them about 10 minutes later to verify it. This was at 1:30ish a.m.

The only gripe I have is if you need customer support, don't bother with tickets. Just call them up, it's what has worked for me. I don't mind this so much as I like to actually speak to a person. They have a 1800 number or you can call in locally.

Right now I'm paying $7.95 for 20gigs of space and 400gigs of bandwidth, pretty good deal.

Currently I'm a little frustrated with them reactivating my account after I forgot to update credit card information. Luckily I don't need the site up immedately so I'm not too pressed to call.

I've been using totalchoicehosting for about almost three years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. There have only been a few minor outages over the time I've been with them and the few issues that have come up have been resolved extremely quickly via IM support or through trouble tickets or through their support forums. I've referred about a dozen other folks to them and currently have two sites with them.

One side story that I think is kind of telling of the kind of folks they are. They don't have (or didn't have) any official referral reward system but around Christmas last year I went to upgrade one of my sites to a more expensive plan as I needed the extra space and bandwidth. Well, I put my order in and they upgraded within the hour, but when my next bill came around I was still being charged the lower price.

I dropped a ticket in to ask about it and got a reply back from the owner that said 'Merry Christmas! :)'. To this day they are still charging me the lower price. TCH are great people and you aren't just a number to them.

Veonik said:
www.1and1.com

I signed up for the free 3 years back in december of 2003 and it rocks. They've been updating their control panel and its gotten alot better from what they started up from. I'm actually really amazed at how good the service is for being free. Unfortunately, now, you have to pay, but the prices range from $4.99 to $29.99 (I think) for standard hosting.

I did the same free 3 year deal and have been VERY happy with them. I just upgraded to a pay account recently and took the $19.99 package for $9.99. ;)

EDIT - I can't remember a single time in the past 3 1/2 years when my website has been down or that i've experienced any other problems.

Lugztaz said:
4 Gig Host Space
Upto 6 DOmains
2500 POP Email Accounts
100 Gigs of Transfer
SSL,FTP, Starts
Free Domain
CGI, PHP, MySQL
Toll Free Support
Cpanel

Has Great Uptime

Great Place!
I have a few sites on bluehost and I am very impressed. Great control panel, ease of installing all php related items.

http://www.site5.com/

Excellent Support, good prices. Notification of down time always, VERY active forum. Been hosting with them since July, STRONGLY recommended. Their engineering department is very innovative, always working on something new. Check them out.

http://www.hostrocket.com/ - Awesome host which I have been using for about half a year now. My friends have been with them longer and they enjoyed it. Great host; their servers are up all of the time, they respond to any problems you have quickly, and are pretty cheap. They have everything most of the hosts have: control panel, php support, lots of bandwith (now they have rollover - I don't have this :( ), preinstalled programs/scripts/whatever, fast servers (I especially noticed their insane speed when I used them for on the first day and was coming from a slow service), unlimited email/subdomains, etc. Check out their site for more info...

Another happy Total Choice Hosting customer here. I've been with them for over 2 years now, and have 15 sites. They've had problems here and there (that pretty much any host is going to have from time to time) but they are always quick to resolve them and they are very friendly. It's also nice that you can talk directly with the owner. I'd say the only real trouble I've had is it takes at least 2-3 tickets to get an SSL certificate installed properly. I've had 5 certs installed over the 2 years, and all 5 didn't work properly the first go around. They were very apologetic and quick to work on it though. I won't be moving anytime soon. Hell, I'm considering bumping up to a dedicated server through them.

I've used Hostony.com for the last 2 months with my current website. And in the past I used their service for over a year for my older website (now closed). In my experience, they have GREAT customer service. They have recently upgraded their shared hosting plans, as well, to 100gigs of bandwidth and 10gigs of web space for the smallest plan. They run both Windows and Linux servers, Cpanel 9.x with Fantastico, etc. Very good deal, the smallest hosting plan is only $9.85 a month, less if you pay annual or bi-annual.

Hostony.com

Made2Own Hosting
www.made2own.com

Time with Made2Own: I have had one site with Made2Own since March, and my other site I got from them in late October, both occuring this year.

I have two accounts with Made2Own hosting, I get 800 MB of storage and 40 GB of bandwith for less than $5 for each account. And every account you purchase from them has FREE setup.

Made2Own also gives you unlimited subdomains, databases, email accounts, and FTP accounts.

Speed: Speeds have always been fine!

Downtime: One week during earlier this year the server that I had my personal site on, would go down every day around 4 PM which happened for ~ 1 week, but I think it was possibly somebody who was working at The Planet that was doing something either by accident or on purpose because it was the same time each day. The server came back up within a few hours I believe, but I think that issue was out of Made2Own's control since it was occuring at the same time each day for a week. (lol conspiracy)

Support: Made2Own's support is great, you can contact them via email or AIM which is very convenient. Also their owner, who happens to be named Rick James, is very nice and for that matter so is the rest of the Made2Own staff that has helped me in the past.

Verdict: 10/10

Well, 1portfolio just took a dump. Actually it's been down for the past 2 hours. Even their own website is down so I can't even log into their support page.

Weird thing is that if I do a page source on any 1portfolio page (including my own) I get a 3 line HTML file that points to http://friendsoftheheartusa.org/.

Make sense to anyone else?

Dark79 said:
Well, 1portfolio just took a dump. Actually it's been down for the past 2 hours. Even their own website is down so I can't even log into their support page.

Weird thing is that if I do a page source on any 1portfolio page (including my own) I get a 3 line HTML file that points to http://friendsoftheheartusa.org/.

Make sense to anyone else?

I have been having the same problem today. Figured I'd check here in case someone else posted, and turns out I'm not the only one. My thing has a link to friendoftheheartusa as well, and the pages seem to be halfway working now but not fully loading and not loading every time. Also, my FTP and Cpanel port both work fine still.

They've been good up to now, hopefully this gets straightened out.

Ev1.com

been using them for about 4 months. The plans are relatively cheap at $10 and up. The nice thing about them is you get unlimited transfer. All they care about is cpu usage. In the past 6 days I have pushed over 500gb and they dont care. They're also quick with tech support and aren't rude about stupid questions. definitely recommended

www.totalchoicehosting.com - I have two sites hosted with in the aftermath of iPaska. Been using them since April. Generally good connection, there were some hiccups in recent weeks with the forum I host, but I don't really notice the slowdowns at all.

Cheap enough for my modest site. I pay $15 a quarter.

http://www.1and1.com

Since this is the largest web hosting company in the world (yes, they operate internationally), they must provide the best hosting, and that is what they do.
1&1 offers everything imaginable, from PHP, to MySQL, to SSL, and so forth. 30 gigs of space, 1.5TB of bandwidth per month, 10000+ email accounts with 10 gigs of space each, all for only $10 a month, 1&1 is an excellent choice.

Pros:
-Large amounts of space for a low price
-More bandwidth than you'd ever need
-Excellent technical support
-PHP, MySQL, SSL, and other applications are included
-100% uptime
-East to use control panel and administration tools

Cons:
-PHP doesn't allow sockets

Dark79 said:
I've been using Dreamhost for about a year now after using the 777 code last year. Stability and speed have been good, but I can't speak to highly of their support.

At one point I could not log into my account. I thought maybe I was being absent minded and clicked the "forgot password" link to reset my password. A few minutes later I get the support e-mail that says my password has been reset, but then gives me the old password (that I had already been trying) to try instead. At this point I don't know if the password wasn't reset at all or if it was and they sent me my old one anyway.

Well, I can't issue a ticket because I can't even log-in! So I fire them an e-mail telling them I can't log in and about the whole reset password problem. I was until THE NEXT DAY for them to send me an e-mail with my username and password - the same username and password that hasn't been working for the past 2 days. Thinking I haven't been clear, I send them ANOTHER e-mail being more specific by telling them EXACTLY what I've been entering in and how it still (after 2 days) doesn't work.

I want ANOTHER 24 hours only to get another e-mail with the SAME username and password that won't work. I assume something is not working and that's why I can't get in since there's no discrepancy between what I'm entering and what support says my user/pass is. Of course, they don't tell me this themselves.

I basically gave up on it and tried it again a week later and VOILA! I'm in.

Now I'm at the end of my promo year and it'll cost me a little over $100 to renew. I figured now would be a good time to switch back to a monthly rate. But, switching from a yearly to a monthly billing system means you have to pay their $50 setup fee - for what, I'm not too sure as the account is already setup. So, unless I can find another super cheap deal from them, I'm not planning on staying.

I think I'll give 1Portfolio a try....

Just e-mail their support. They removed the charges the next day for me when I switched from a yearly to monthly plan :)

Intilo.com

Great company, great prices. I've been with them for almost a whole year now, and they've been great. There is always someone to help you with your site, they even helped me setup my website and get my coding in check.

As a sidenote, I've tried to use hostrocket twice and they had so much downtime that I had to cancel both times (sites for other people).

Wow, despite of all the good things I've heard about Dreamhost, I'm convinced now that they really don't know how to keep their custommers.

I have a 2 years plan with them and I'm not even using it since I know that if something happened they wouldn't be behind me to do anything.

They offer a lot of bandwitch and space, but their custom pannel is in my opinion not a good choice and their custommer support with over 12 hours wait for a response and slow loading page times proves just that a delicious offer doesn't mean anything in reality.

For the price it's not even tempting anymore.

I expected more from a compagny that claims to be the best.

Resellerzoom.com

www.resellerzoom.com

roughly 12 months

4) awesome service from these dudes. I needed a good reseller account to host a bunch of websites of mine and this is what I found. In the passed 12 months I've had a single hour of downtime (when they transferred datacenters). Support is fast and very helpful, sometimes less than an hour for response.

I was with 1and1 for awhile (6 months). I didn't like their propriety control panel, but that's just my opinion. Also, dropping their service was a pain in the a$$. They did have good uptime and fast servers though, but I just can't get passed their control panel and webmail.

http://1and1.com
A big rip-off

I read in here that 1and1 may be a good web builder. So I joined, big mistake. Afher 6 days trying to put a website together the way I wanted I gave up. So I tried to unsubscribe, this was harder than they say. They will not send an acknowledgement untill after 30 days and it took me two days to finally get someone to help me unsubscribe. It's still not a sure thing though. Its in their contract that if you don't know how to unsub then they will auto debete your account. No one to write to, and no easy unsub.Then they say that if you unsub and you have a domain made by them that unsubing will delete the domain you paid for. They really should give a 7 day chance at creating a website but once you agree then its set in stone and I'll say again (it's hard to get out.)

Back