Hosting Feedback - Where can I get hosting...

KingKaeru

Supreme [H]ardness
Due to the spam that this has caused in the past, we will not be allowing any new threads requesting hosting. If you wish to look for a host, please refer to this sticky. All other threads will be locked or deleted.

Also, note that The Planet is the hardocp/hardforums host and offers hosting. You can find a link to them at the top of http://hardocp.com

Lets try to consolidate all Hosting experiences to this one thread to avoid spamming the forum.

The rules of this thread are simple:

1) provide a link
2) provide information on how long you've been with the host
3) you must have been with the host for at least 4 months.
4) provide a short summary about your experience with the host and their
service.
5) no self reviews. If you wish to advertise, shoot an email to the boss: [email protected]

For those looking for free webhosting, please refer to the following thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033402348#post1033402348

www.brdwebhosting.net

THe tools they have for creating and maintaining websites are awesome, and their rates are pretty cheap too. I was able to get a complex website up in no time. (I still want to get it looking better, but their "cookie-cutter" templates are full of features and customizable.

Worth checking out.

BTW, I'm not pimping, I know the guy who owns the company, but I pay the standard monthly rate.

www.thechain.com
I used them along time ago, originally they were okay, but then the money and all that was getting to his head. Ken Gourlay runs the whole show, and the control panel was fine, but the people there were rude, not understanding, didnt abide by there own rules and had cocky teenagers in lieu of support stafff.

note on my removed post above: wasnt really pimping, but i do apologize.

http://www.bizarre-host.com

Very cheap hosting. I pay $3 USD monthly for 500mb space and 5GB bandwidth (including ulimited mysql dbs, pop email, subdomans, etc). They have great customer service. The owner is very helpful and usually replies with a couple of hours to emails and forum posts. Also included is CPanel, the best piece of software I've ever used for managing a site.

P.S. I found bizarre host from hosthideout.com forums. Post a request with your requirements and you get dozens of replies with great offers (usually cheaper than they offer on their site, b/c they want to win you ;)).

http://www.pair.net

I have had a number of sites with them and maintain that they are one of the bests hosts on the web. They do NOT resell space like so many of the thousands of "turnkey webhosts" (I use the phrase webhost lightly.. because most of the time its some schmuck renting a box at Rackshack or reselling accounts from a Tier 1 provider) and have some of the best support in the business. They are a Tier 1 provider and completely legit! Just like anything else you get what you pay for. Reliable, excellent support and not a fly-by-night operation.

http://www.srlnet.com

I have been with SRLNet with a little over a year and I love them. Their hosting plans are reasonable and when you buy a plan, your price is locked in forever. The uptime is almost perfect (if it goes down, it is only for a few minutes) and the speed is great. The support rocks (they respond within a few hours almost always...usually less than that). They provide cPanel control panel and PHP, mySQL, etc.

www.totalchoicehosting.com

I've been with TCH for 1.5 years now. I've seen a lost of connectivity about 4 times. I've run into a few issues with my service and opened tickets with tech support and had responses within a few hours most times. They have some cheap plans. $4 for 10GB of transer 450 MB of diskspace and unlimited FTP/Email/Subdoamin/MySQL. I've signed at least 10 of my friends up here and all of them love it. The last testament to the service is last time they noticed the service was getting close to being oversold they stopped accepting orders until the new servers came in.

http://www.ipaska.com/

Been using iPaska since last November for two sites, never had a problem with either. Plenty of email, sub domains, ftp and mysql accounts. Not the cheapest anywhere for bandwidth and storage- but the excellent support and extras seem to make it well worth it. Extremely reliable, never seen any of the servers down. Generally very happy with everything.

http://www.1t3.com

I pay $9USD for 500mb and "Unlimited" traffic/month. This host has been pretty bad, going down relatively often. They did a server migration without informing me, and things were gone for a few days. After that, none of my old passwords were working. I had to get them to reset everything. Whenever they do mess up though, they're relatively quick at getting it fixed up. Still, I can't in good faith recommend them. I'm still with them mostly because I'm too lazy to switch.

www.1and1.com

I signed up for the free 3 years back in december of 2003 and it rocks. They've been updating their control panel and its gotten alot better from what they started up from. I'm actually really amazed at how good the service is for being free. Unfortunately, now, you have to pay, but the prices range from $4.99 to $29.99 (I think) for standard hosting.

Lowbatt said:

I've been with TCH for 1.5 years now. I've seen a lost of connectivity about 4 times. I've run into a few issues with my service and opened tickets with tech support and had responses within a few hours most times. They have some cheap plans. $4 for 10GB of transer 450 MB of diskspace and unlimited FTP/Email/Subdoamin/MySQL. I've signed at least 10 of my friends up here and all of them love it. The last testament to the service is last time they noticed the service was getting close to being oversold they stopped accepting orders until the new servers came in.

TCH has always been good to me I have been with them for about the same amount of time. I have been down maybe twice, but that was because of DNS errors. I don't even do the tickets system, because almost all tech support has a YIM or AIM which works out perfect. I would give them a 4 thumbs up but I only have 2 hands.

http://www.dreamhost.com

I've been with them for about 8 months now without any problems at all. I pay $10 a month for 800MB of space, 40GB of transfer and all the other regular extra's (unlimited email forwarding, web access, cgi, etc). You can host up to 3 full domains and they'll register a domain under your name for you for as long as you host with them (you can transfer the domain to another registrar if you please). Blah blah blah... I'm happy with it and they've got some great plans for those of us who can't afford dedicated hosting.

www.ipaska.com
With for 2+ years now. I've very rarely have site issues, and have on multiple occasions needed obscure Perl modules installed, all of which have gone off without a hitch. I'd recommend without reservation.

www.1and1.com

I signed up for the free 3 years back in december of 2003 and it rocks. They've been updating their control panel and its gotten alot better from what they started up from. I'm actually really amazed at how good the service is for being free. Unfortunately, now, you have to pay, but the prices range from $4.99 to $29.99 (I think) for standard hosting.
I have had the same experience. The only problem I have had is, their PHP doens't support sockets. So if you plan on using Sockets in your design, stop right now...

ImpactDNI said:
I have had the same experience. The only problem I have had is, their PHP doens't support sockets. So if you plan on using Sockets in your design, stop right now...

Probably as a security precaution. They don't want your php scripts connecting to other computers and DoSing them or anything like that.

http://www.startlogic.com/

My brother has this host and he says it runs pretty good. Its VDECK 2.0 Control panel if your familiar with that. 3 MYSQL servers, and more.
The thing that impresses me is the 1GB Space and 40GB Bandwidth for 7.95/month.
Does anyone have experience with Starlogic?? I am thinking of getting another domain with them.

I currently have http://www.ipaska.com and it has been real good as well using Cpanel with 100MB 8GB transfer for 4.95...i think.

http://www.go-dedicated.com

been with this company for 4 months.

Ok, basically, the guys who run this place are awesome. They're quick on the job, and if you EVER need anything, email them, and ''bam'' it's done. GREAT prices in my views, and you get a lot of web tools with every price package.
Highly recommended to everyone.

EDITED ON MARCH 6 , 2005.
the guys have been slackin' off. I'm switchin companies. They can't even maintain their own site. Good deals though - i'm just a little worried something might go down, and since they seem extremely disorganized, i'll get screwed

http://www.1and1.com $5.95 for registering domains and full dns management. As for hosting I have been using them the last year or so. Good speeds 100% up time. Also I have had to call a few times and the issues were quickly resolved over the phone!

www.just-hosting.com has been pretty good for me and i havent seen a lot of other hosts offering 50gb/month, 1000mb space, and a bunch of unlimited stuff including sql databases and emails all for $7.45. you get a ton more for only like $11. rarely goes down and pretty good support (actually helped me through setting up my whole content management system)....has anyone heard anything negative about them?

Lowbatt said:

I've been with TCH for a little over a year as well. We have only been down twice in that time and both times were a little less than 5 minutes. Great prices, they refuse to oversell, and they have some of the best community driven tech support around. I can't say enough about these guys, everything works so smoothly that I forget they're even there, which is exactly what I like in a host.

http://www.www-hosting.net

Been with these guys for about a year and have been very satisfied. Very reasonable pricing and are always running some sort of promotion for uberbandwidth/free domain registration/kitchen sink/etc...

Use Cpanel X and its by far the nicest control panel i've ever used for maintaining a sight. Every plan includes php, mysql, phpmyadmin, pop3 and webmail.

We've had maybe 1 this year that lasted for about 2 hours or so (dns issues). I would highly recommend them.

I was with Brinkster for a while. I ended up moving to webhost4life.com instead, mostly because it's cheaper and has SQL Server support for about ten bucks.

You do get your money worth, and not much more. Their KB on how stuff works is terribly out of date, so I've had to submit "issues" with them more than any other host, but they've always been helpful in resolving issues.

fat-tony said:
http://www.1t3.com

I pay $9USD for 500mb and "Unlimited" traffic/month. This host has been pretty bad, going down relatively often. They did a server migration without informing me, and things were gone for a few days. After that, none of my old passwords were working. I had to get them to reset everything. Whenever they do mess up though, they're relatively quick at getting it fixed up. Still, I can't in good faith recommend them. I'm still with them mostly because I'm too lazy to switch.

I concur. Without a doubt, THE worst hosting company. I had an unlimited plan too, and one day they decided I was using too much of my unlimitedness. :rolleyes: (I was only using about 25gb of bandwidth) Without warning they completely shut down my site. This caused me to loose about $2000 in business. They could have warned me - "You're using too much bandwidth, and will be cut off soon" or something like that. They didn't even tell me what they did. I had to ask them why my site was down, and it took them a week to tell me they turned it off.

That was just the last issue - before that, it was down numerous times for no good reason, sometimes for days, and 50% of my support questions never got a response. The other 50% took at least 4-5 days to get replied to. I am seriously considering a lawsuit against these idiots. :mad:

Guys, Guys, Guys!

Unlimited does not exist anywhere :) There are always caps...That's the first thing. If someone offers unlimited space or bandwidth run run run! Do not touch that host with a 100foot pole. However, do kindly ask them where I can purchase these unlimited hard drives from :)

Also, these hosts who give you 1GB space and 10GB bandwidth for $8 month are overselling. This means they do not expect you to use the full resources of your account. They overpack the servers and your site may seem sluggish. As they say you get what you pay for. :)

My host is http://www.infinityws.com. Solid uptime, they provide uptime stats on the site. 99% of my tickets are answered in minutes..yes minutes. They always inform me of any scheduled downtime or why any issues have occured and their forum is also very informative. It's a cpanel host. Site that I host is ecommerland.com

www.dathorn.com

cheapest prices for the best service i have found anywhere, and i have been with several hosts. the support is usually replied to within 15 minutes to 45 minutes. andrew (the owner) goes out of his way to help you with things that are not necessarily his responsibility. the uptime is great and they throw in a free ip address. i have no plans on leaving these guys in a long time. :D

www.fuitadnet.com

They've been good to me for the past year, especially when my site got slashdotted, they were very flexible and understanding..

3GB of space & 25GB of bandwidth per month for $4.95/mo.

www.rokland.com

Rokland Web Hosting is stupendous! I have about 5 servers through this place and recruited all of my friends and anyone I know in need of web hosting. Never really had many problems and the prices are also very cheap. Uses Cpanel X, very nice :) And overall it just rocks! I have had them hosting different servers of mine for over a year. I would recommend you go in the Rokland direction!

iPowerWeb
had a site there since last december. never had a problem.

800 megs
40 gig transfer
400 pop3 emails
ssl (shared), ftp, awstats
cgi, php, mysql, SSI
frontpage extensions (like anyone here uses them :p)
free domain
10 subdomains

they also include a bunch of "plug ins". basically stuff like php nuke, phpbb, a guestbook, poll, where all you have to do is click a few buttons on the control panel to install them, though i would personally install the newest version manually.

3 Month Price - $30 Setup $9.95
6 Month Price - $30 Setup $8.95
12 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $7.95*
24 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $6.95 *
* = prepay in advance

the control panel is vDeck and seems a little slow at times (compared to my site) but the cp has a bunch of stuff in it so it's ok

http://www.ukhost4u.com

Very cheap yearly plans, Great uptime. Someproblems to begin with but were all ironed out, I think it was to do with new servers but everything is working as smooth as. Their controlpanel is CPanel which is very quick. Their service is also outstanding, If i have a problem i leave a ticket and its done in the hour, Just got a question then i ask them over their msn/aim/yahoo/icq service. Or i give them a call and everything is done quickly and politley.

check them out.

http://www.croakingtoad.com

Up:
Small web host.
Cheap.
Good customer service. (an email for an actual person!)
Cpanel w/ script installer. (PHP-Nuke in 2 minutes, lol)
Never had uptime probs.

Down:
No phone support, only email.
Who names their business Croaking Toad?!?!?

Overall, perfect for my little site.

bromide said:
www.dathorn.com

cheapest prices for the best service i have found anywhere, and i have been with several hosts. the support is usually replied to within 15 minutes to 45 minutes. andrew (the owner) goes out of his way to help you with things that are not necessarily his responsibility. the uptime is great and they throw in a free ip address. i have no plans on leaving these guys in a long time. :D

I'm in this very thread because Dathorn.com can no longer handle my hosting needs. Apparenlty my site is using too much of their resources, even though I just upgraded my package to get more bandwidth. This is the second time that "Andrew" has suspended my site for making more SQL queries than his server can handle. I'm running a set of clan scripts I made in PhP and a phpBB forum.

If you don't count the unmentioned traffic restriction, these guys have excellent customer service. My trouble tickets are always answered in minutes. Andrew and I had a nice fight over the trouble ticket system when my site was shut down the first time, and he misdiagnosed it as a Chron job or something... =/

Based on the reviews in this thread, I'm leaning toward Total Choice Hosting right now. They seem to have the best hosting to the dollar, and lots of people saying good stuff abt them.

A lot of these other hosts don't have much to recommend. They all seem to copy each other... even down to the HTML they use for their price comparisons on their packages. Some don't even bother to change the names. One of the hosts couldn't even spell "unlimimited" right.

Shop very, very carefully before you buy. Else you risk your site. And if you have a community of 250 people who rely on a site and forum to link them together, you risk a lot by choosing a bad host. ^_^

edit: Those very nice packages that Total Choice Hosting has on their main package page only support single domains. The reseller packages are twice as expensive... all sorts of tricky stuff these guys are using to make it appear that they are cheaper than their competition when they really aren't. ;(

http://www.imhosted.com

These guys are really good. They aren't leasing out space from another provider and they have a max "per box" number of sites, so you know you aren't going to be stuck with a million other sites on the same server.

It uses cpanelX and some other great tools. I'm on the gold plan for $30/month. They offer unlimited subdomains (well...the cpanel says 999) as well as a bunch of other unlimited stuff. One of my favorite things is that they offer Spamassasin as part of the pop3 accounts, so there's some server-side spam filtering you can get. They also offer an https address if you don't want to pay for the security certificate and all that for secure web forms.

My only beef is that they don't really offer a means to talk to someone in person. However, the flip side is that they typically respond within a couple of hours for trouble tickets.

Jon

http://www.prokmu.com

These guys have got a good offering, and good service for simple stuff. However, i went for the Java package, and they don't really seem to know what the score is. My account was set up within a few minutes, which impressed me. However, my site is a fairly basic Java/Struts site, using iBATIS/MySQL as the data layer, and they just didn't seem to understand what was going on - it wouldn't do anything to start with (for a Java package, the initial setup didn't even support execution of JSPs, which I had to do myself). When I mentioned that the site worked fine under several different server setups and containers, all they could say was, "Well, there are some restrictions on this package...you probably need a private JVM package" - which is $25/mo rather than the $15/mo of this package, but they wouldn't tell me what restrictions they have.

To give them their due, though, I requested my money back, and they credited me within an hour.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone have any good Java hosts? I'm looking to pay around $15-$20/mo, and I'd ideally like Resin and a private JVM. I've seen http://www.alacartejava.com, but I can't find any decent reviews. My site's hosted on my ADSL right now, so I'm fairly desperate to get this sorted...

UPDATE : Found LunarPages - their basic package is $7.95/mo, which includes PHP, MySQL etc, 800MB storage and 40GB bandwidth. For an extra $2/mo, you get JSP/Servlets using Resin on a shared JVM, but because it's Resin it'll detect any changes to your site and recompile as necessary (unlike Tomcat, where it needs restarting). Check out their community forums too - plenty of good info there from actual users. It's worth noting that unlike Prokmu, everything worked first time.

http://www.phpwebhosting.com

Been with them for atleast 4 years.... my brother and I have been using it. Only had server speed issues. Fixed over night. From our old 800MHz server to a dual 2.4GHz server! OVER NIGHT amazing!

http://cs.tsrealm.com

Basically everything is unlimited. You can have as many mysql database, emails address, and more! Take a look!

http://www.moose.cc

Personal hosting. Not reccomended for businesses, but GREAT for personal sites. Very little downtime, and it's always scheduled. Flexible plans. Owner is almost always available. Knowledgeable.

It's not me. I just have space with him. :)

Lowbatt said:

I've been with totalchoice for almost a little over year and they are great. I've never had any problems with there service. The 1 time I had a billing question I was able to resolve it via live chat. If you are looking for hosting...this is the place to get it.

TekMonkey said:
http://www.bizarre-host.com

Very cheap hosting. I pay $3 USD monthly for 500mb space and 5GB bandwidth (including unlimited mysql dbs, pop email, subdomans, etc). They have great customer service. The owner is very helpful and usually replies with a couple of hours to emails and forum posts. Also included is CPanel, the best piece of software I've ever used for managing a site.

P.S. I found bizarre host from hosthideout.com forums. Post a request with your requirements and you get dozens of replies with great offers (usually cheaper than they offer on their site, b/c they want to win you).

I hope you're right, I just signed up for their medium 3 plan about 20 minutes ago. :)

I'll update this post once I spend some time with it.

Do not use Powweb hosting!

www.powweb.com

Our gaming community has been with Powweb for roughly four or five months now and it's been ridiculous. Their service is far below par. When requesting help, they either ignore you or answer with a (in their opinion) witty retort that has nothing to do with the solution to your problem.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. So far, in the time we've been with them, the website has gone through periodic episodes of slowdown. Hence the complaints. We're nowhere near our limits in storage or bandwidth and there's minimal content on the site itself.

Their service and their product is not worth the pain, time, and effort.

I recently bought hosting for my personal website through www.totalchoicehosting.com and so far I'm impressed. I'm glad I looked at this thread before I bought my hosting.

Back