Hosting a non-dedicated server for TF2

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I just want to play with one or just a few other people on my computer. I want to host my map. I have all the port forward and firewalls set. From what I can remember, I think there's a command I need to enter in the console in order to allow non-lanners to play. Is that the case and is that why I can't get a friend to join my game? Its hard as hell trying to find server guide that isn't about setting up a dedicated server.

If your ports are forwarded properly and you go create a server make sure sv_lan is at 0 I believe. (been a while since I have done it) but that will take it off lan and put it online.

However I think if you launch the game, then open console and load the map from the console and then change the sv_lan commands it will work better. Vs opening game create server selecting map. I dont think that one will keep the sv command or something. Perhaps that changed, been a while like I said.

Yeah I actually finally found sv_lan 0. However I'm still having my friend get, could not connect after 4 tries. The IP I give him, should it be my computer Ip address or my router ip address? If I give him my router, I don't know how it would know to connect to my ip, if I give him my computer, than that's not a unique enough ip.

Is your router also your modem? Or does your connection go from your modem into a router?

you can also go to www.whatismyip.com and have him connect to the ip they give you as yours.

Start your server through console and then disable the lan game and have him try to connect in through the external IP.

Yeah go to whatismyip.com and give him your IP address, make sure ports are forwarded, start a server and set "sv_lan 0" and maybe also do an "fps_max 60" (or max_fps not sure)

This will cap your frame rate on the game client and stress the CPU less meaning the CPU will process packets for anyone joining. Also look into a guide for setting up a passworded dedicated server on your PC, that has its benefits

Ok I've gotten closer. Its no longer after 4 tries but I get this error "LAN servers are restricted to local clients (class C)". The sv_lan is set to 0 which seems like the recommended fix for that error. Not sure what to do now. I set sv_region to 0 since I'm on the east coast. He's from the west coast however so does that mean I should set it to 255?

I remeber doing this and I had to put in a really random command for it to work. I think it might have been heartbeat. Something like that

I tried heartbeat but with no luck. I'm thinking the only thing that could be a problem is port fowarding. Does this look right?

Code:
Entry Protocol 	Global Port(s) 	Local Port(s)
1 	UDP 	1200 	        1200
2 	UDP 	27000 -27015 	27000
3 	TCP 	27020 -27050 	27020
4 	UDP 	27015 -27020 	27015
5 	TCP 	27015 	        27015

This is through host not dynamic

This is what it says for each
Host: Allows unsolicited inbound traffic to a particular PC on the LAN.
Dynamic: Enables inbound traffic based on specific outbound traffic.

Back