Hosting a Game Server

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
well as our clan is getting ready for our 3rd annual mega lan ( 40-60 people )

I am getting a Secondary game server ready, adn just wanted to share the specs and see what you all thought about it.

Specs
Dell PowerEdge 2650 2U
2.8GHz Intel Xeon
2GB DDR
36GB 10K RPM Atlantis
Dual Gigabit Nics
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Servers I suspect we will be hosting

BF2
CoD4
L4D
CS:S

and some others I'm sure.

--------------------------------------------------------

This server will probably end up as a secondary Server because

Since at our location, we already have a server in place

IBM x345 ( got if free) 4U Server

Dual 2.4GHz Intel Xeons
2GB DDR
80GB 7200 RPM IDE
250GB RPM IDE
16x DL DVD Burner
Ubuntu Server 8.10

yea I'm considering that.... but it should be fine... We used to hold all of the game servers on one server, but after discussign that with our leader ( and friend ) We decided to split up teh games to both servers... especially considering we will have a couple L4d Servers, which I have seen take up to 50% Cpu Usage on a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. I think I have a pic somewhere showing that...

It'll be fine. Key is tuning your server...stripping down unnecessary services. Check BlackVipers site for game servers. Used to build 'n support public gaming servers, most of the performance is how well you build it, lean it out, fast hard drives. Low impact antivirus with good exclusions, quality server grade NIC, fast firewall it's behind (non issue at LAN party). Largest LAN part I built a server for was approx 100 peeps.

hey thanks for the info Stonecat... I know the IBM server will be running linux...

Mine ( the 2650 ) will be runnign Server 2003 SP2 Ent.

Oh yeah..forgot to mention...get battery backups for your servers, your workstation, and the switches. Larger LAN parties.....well, if it's your first time at this location, you'll never know if the crowd will push the electrical capacity of the place you're at. I've been at a few which were popping breakers now 'n then. Sucks to have your servers hard drive get beatup like that.

this will be our 3rd time at this location, and since we own the place we have already upgraded the circuit breakers to 30amps or higher.... Power was a first an issue first time we had it here, but past two years we have had no issues.

Oh yeah..forgot to mention...get battery backups for your servers, your workstation, and the switches. Larger LAN parties.....well, if it's your first time at this location, you'll never know if the crowd will push the electrical capacity of the place you're at. I've been at a few which were popping breakers now 'n then. Sucks to have your servers hard drive get beatup like that.

UPS's are not great for LAN party situations as they consume additional draw and sometimes nearly double draw when charging. Also, if you know your electrical infrastructure well you will not blow anything. I have not blown a single circuit in both my professional or hobby (LAN party) life, it's simply a matter of doing your homework, tracing circuits, documenting, and doing proper calculations. The reason why most people blow circuits is because they don't do proper tracing and they are not educated enough about electrical distribution (especially when it comes to multiple phases).

Back