host unreachable... wtf???

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by chronic9, Jul 16, 2008.

1. chronic9

chronic9 [H]ardness Supreme

build a 2k3 server, updated it and everything near my desk plugged into the exact same port on my switch, was able to RDP into as many times as I wanted, transfered some files to it, speed was good, everything is dandy. shut it down and put it into its place inside my closet, plug in the ethernet cable into the exact same port....

attempt to RDP and......
    [​IMG]

tried 3 different ports on my switch, same result, flushed the DNS, restarted the switch, same result....

wtf?? my last option is to take one of my LCDs to the closet and see whats up (LAST resort)

2. goodcooper

goodcooper [H]ardForum Junkie

probably something dumb...

that kinda crap happens to me all the time....

may as well bring the monitor over, usually you'll waste more time trying to figure it out

3. Arainach

Arainach 2[H]4U

Try pinging the hostname; the IP probably changed.

4. chronic9

update.... i think the mobo is a POS

it doesnt like running headless.... fukken POS foxconn board.... WTF *frustrated*

5. chronic9

okay.... i was a moron... didnt bother to turn off "halt on"
    it kept on freezing at "no keyboard detected", all is well now. the board still has some issues. but for the 50$ that i spent on it, I can live with it. so far so good.

6. goodcooper

goodcooper [H]ardForum Junkie

yea, i usually test a box whether it can handle being headless with just VGA plugged in and watch it boot up all the way... before i put it where i want it to be (under my desk or in a closet)
    testing whether it can run without a video card is a different story (gotta listen to beeps and hard disk access carefully)

for a while my IPCOP at my house had a controller board from a keyboard tucked behind it plugged into the ps2 port...

i got a new ipcop shortly thereafter, but the darn board wouldn't boot without a keyboard... there wasn't even a bios setting
    now my ipcop sits next to my workbench, so i have one of the ports of my 4 port kvm hooked up to it... figured why not....