Hospital Prepares to Tweet First Transplant Surgery

HardOCP News

[H] News
Note to the medical industry, it’s not trendy when YOU do it. Especially not during an organ transplant on a 3 year old. Sheesh, you’d have thought they would have learned that when other hospital did it during brain surgery.

According to hospital officials this will be the first time any hospital has twittered from a transplant surgery. This is also the first time the 483-bed hospital will use the social networking platform to inform the public about a surgery.

And, before anyone defends the hospital, please point out the reason / need / benefit of tweeting a surgery on a 3 year old.

You mean other than breaking federal HIPPA laws prohibiting medical facilities from sharing medical information with anyone who doesn't need to know it?
They aren't breaking any laws if the family of the 3 year old consents. ;)

I don't see a problem, if they have a designated Twit to do the tweeting... Now if the surgeon stops every two minutes to do it himself, yeah, I'd have a problem with that. :p

The article does say that it'll be observers doing the tweets, though.

Other than trying to be hip / trendy...I personally don't see any reason to ever Twitter in an operating room.

If someone can explain this lame trend to me, please do so.

Possibly to keep the family informed throughout the whole process since they're not allowed in the OR during the procedure.

Other than trying to be hip / trendy...I personally don't see any reason to ever Twitter in an operating room.

If someone can explain this lame trend to me, please do so.
According to the article:

"Currently, nearly 85,000 people are on the waiting list for a kidney. We hope that twittering from this surgery will help raise awareness for organ donation, as well as living organ donation," says Newell.

Admiral goal? Sure. Effective? Probably not.

Reason enough to single them out and make fun of them? Maybe, but I guess it's just a slow news day. :p

Possibly to keep the family informed throughout the whole process since they're not allowed in the OR during the procedure.

I could see that....

What makes me think that isn't the case is they sent out a press release and launched a media campaign announcing it.

I'm convinced now that twittering is the debil. This is really getting out of hand. Does everyone have to know what everyone is doing at all times? It first it was cute, not it's fucking annoying.

True, but the article doesn't say, so one has to make asinine guesses.

The article quotes the mother as saying she went and researched Twitter before joining, so you can probably infer that she gave her consent. A guess, sure, but hardly "asinine."

And, before anyone defends the hospital, please point out the reason / need / benefit of tweeting a surgery on a 3 year old.

I'm convinced now that twittering is the debil. This is really getting out of hand. Does everyone have to know what everyone is doing at all times? It first it was cute, not it's fucking annoying.

"'I couldn't be with both my boys during surgery so it will help me feel connected to Chris' surgery, which will be about a quarter of a mile away,' Amanda Gilbreath said. 'I hope it educates the public about living donations and sparks an interest in others to make a living donation.'"

Using Twitter to find out that some random celebrity is shopping at Whole Foods = stupid. Using Twitter to find out real time status updates on your husband and son because you aren't able to sit in a hospital waiting room all day = cool use of an overhyped service. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't realize that you can be a living organ donor. The fact that the media fall all over themselves to look hip by reporting on anything to do with Twitter is just a nice bonus that will raise awareness.

The article quotes the mother as saying she went and researched Twitter before joining, so you can probably infer that she gave her consent. A guess, sure, but hardly "asinine."

"'I couldn't be with both my boys during surgery so it will help me feel connected to Chris' surgery, which will be about a quarter of a mile away,' Amanda Gilbreath said. 'I hope it educates the public about living donations and sparks an interest in others to make a living donation.'"

Using Twitter to find out that some random celebrity is shopping at Whole Foods = stupid. Using Twitter to find out real time status updates on your husband and son because you aren't able to sit in a hospital waiting room all day = cool use of an overhyped service. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't realize that you can be a living organ donor. The fact that the media fall all over themselves to look hip by reporting on anything to do with Twitter is just a nice bonus that will raise awareness.

Where did you see that quote, because I'm not seeing it in the article Steve linked.

Ok, now I have to admit, I thought it was cool that Mike Massimino was going to "tweet" from space, but having people tweet about a surgery??? I guess it's good business as it is drawing attention to a smaller hospital...

You mean other than breaking federal HIPPA laws prohibiting medical facilities from sharing medical information with anyone who doesn't need to know it?
The family has to give consent.

Furthermore this is nothing new in the operating room...doctors have been using things like this for years as a tool for information. I specialize in doing worldwide broadcasts of surgeries with companies like http://www.or-live.com.
When it comes to medicine anything they can do to spread education and awareness is a good thing and you would have to be an idiot to find fault in something like this.

I would do something mean and tweet
"Beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

Nothing more annoying and stupid than your father or some other dork on TV trying to be cool and saying "tweet" and "oh boy i'm twittering!".

I'm 32 y.o. and back when I was in high school if the teacher heard you say "twitter" or "i'm gonna go tweet" they woulda thought you were saying some slang for a girls vagina or your gonna go get wasted or something along those lines.

Guess i'm getting too old to give a rats ass about trendy cool kid crap.

I got a cell phone and you know what? I press 7 digits and send, then I talk to someone using my voice. Fuck that must look like some Flintstones shit to the young kids.

Back